|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hana tell Ballas people are saying about Ptydepe?
(a) It is based on doubtful principles.
(b) It was made up by Ballas.
(c) It does not exist.
(d) Only Stroll can speak it.
2. At the beginning of Act 2, Scene 9, what is Maria trying on?
(a) A hat.
(b) An overcoat.
(c) A scarf.
(d) A new dress.
3. What is significant about Pillar in Act 2, Scene 9?
(a) He talks to everyone but Gross.
(b) He remains unnoticed by Ballas.
(c) He reveals his plan for taking Ballas's position.
(d) He admits that he understands Ptydepe.
4. Which characters ask Pillar to speak with them privately?
(a) Stroll, Savant, and Helena.
(b) Stroll, Helena, and Lear.
(c) Stroll, Gross, and Helena.
(d) Stroll, Helena, and Maria.
5. What recurring item in the play does Gross hang up at the end of Act 2, Scene 10?
(a) The original memorandum.
(b) His fire extinguisher.
(c) His hat.
(d) His coat.
6. Acknowledging the intent of the play, what does Havel feel should triumph over bureaucracy?
7. Gross admits that he has always been more of a dreamer than what?
(a) A liar.
(b) A fighter.
(c) A doer.
(d) A survivor.
8. In Act 2, Scene 9, how many translations does Stroll say he has done?
9. What is Lear lecturing about at the start of Act 2, Scene 11?
(a) How to improve Ptydepe.
(b) The way Ptydepe is structured.
(c) Why everyone still needs to know Ptydepe.
(d) The mistakes of Ptydepe.
10. What is Maria's reaction to Gross' new position?
(a) She is disappointed.
(b) She does not say anything.
(c) She is angry with him.
(d) She congratulates him.
11. What theme does Chorukor represent in the play?
(a) A way to eliminate Gross.
(b) A repeated cycle.
(c) A misunderstood bureaucracy.
(d) Ballas' final mistake.
12. What action does Lear take as a result of his impatience in Act 2, Scene 8?
(a) He dismisses the student.
(b) He calls for Stroll.
(c) He calls for Ballas.
(d) He begins yelling louder.
13. What does Ballas announce to the group in Actc 2, Scene 10?
(a) That Gross is responsible for Ptydepe.
(b) That Stroll talked him into starting Ptydepe.
(c) That he is resigning.
(d) That Gross will be the Managing Director once again.
14. What idea does Ballas come up with in Act 2, Scene 10?
(a) For Gross to admit Ptydepe was his fault.
(b) For him to talk with the higher-ups about Gross' ambitions.
(c) For Gross to forget about his desire to end Ptydepe.
(d) For him to become Gross' deputy.
15. Where is the job that Maria has found for Gross?
(a) A different office.
(b) A coffee shop.
(c) A shoe repair service.
(d) A theatre company.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens as Act 2, Scene 8 progresses?
2. What new position does Ballas offer Gross in Act 2, Scene 7?
3. What stunning topic does Lear bring up in Act 2, Scene 11?
4. What is Ballas holding when he enters the room in Act 2, Scene 9?
5. What does George throw at Gross after hearing the news of his position change?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)