|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gross tells Maria that his current situation is a result of what?
(a) His lack of intelligence.
(b) Trusting too much and giving in.
(c) His inability to deal with life.
(d) Bad luck.
2. At the beginning of Act 2, Scene 9, what is Maria trying on?
(a) A scarf.
(b) An overcoat.
(c) A new dress.
(d) A hat.
3. Which characters ask Pillar to speak with them privately?
(a) Stroll, Helena, and Lear.
(b) Stroll, Helena, and Maria.
(c) Stroll, Gross, and Helena.
(d) Stroll, Savant, and Helena.
4. What does Gross think he has to earn at the end of Act 2, Scene 9?
(a) Maria's love and admiration.
(b) Maria's respect and sympathy.
(c) Maria's trust.
(d) Maria's loyalty.
5. What is Ballas' role in Lear's class?
(a) He is trying to understand it.
(b) He is unaware of it because he is focused on lunch.
(c) He was tricked by Lear into authorizing it.
(d) He protests against it.
6. What is Maria's reaction to Gross' reason for staying?
(a) She runs away.
(b) She ignores him.
(c) She becomes angry.
(d) She becomes embarrassed.
7. What does Maria encourage Gross to do in the second part of Act 2, Scene 9?
(a) Take over Ballas' position.
(b) Fight to prove his innocence.
(c) Resign from the company.
(d) Give her a promotion.
8. What is Pillar's response when he is asked by Ballas if he knows Ptydepe?
(a) He shakes his head.
(b) He tells Ballas that he isn't sure.
(c) He begins to read a document in Ptydepe.
(d) He leaves the room immediately.
9. What does Gross do on his way to lunch in Act 2, Scene 11?
(a) He stops to ask Thumb a question about Ptydepe.
(b) He asks Maria to join him.
(c) He stops to listen to Lear.
(d) He smokes a cigarette.
10. Where is the job that Maria has found for Gross?
(a) A coffee shop.
(b) A shoe repair service.
(c) A theatre company.
(d) A different office.
11. What action does Lear take as a result of his impatience in Act 2, Scene 8?
(a) He calls for Ballas.
(b) He begins yelling louder.
(c) He dismisses the student.
(d) He calls for Stroll.
12. Why doesn't Hana understand Ptydepe?
(a) She doesn't have time to learn it.
(b) The classes were too hard.
(c) She doesn't need to be able to read it.
(d) She refuses to recognize its existence.
13. What do the other bureaucrats sense about Ballas?
(a) His incompetence.
(b) His arrogance.
(c) His reliance on Pillar.
(d) His bureaucratic vulnerability.
14. What does Gross promise Maria in the second part of Act 2, Scene 9 that he will not do?
(a) Make any trouble.
(b) Fight for himself.
(c) Back down.
(d) Ignore the audit.
15. Who receives an A from Lear for answering correctly in Act 2, Scene 11?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does George categorize Maria's actions?
2. In Act 2, Scene 10, what does Gross inform Ballas are his intentions?
3. What proposal does Ballas make to Gross in Act 2, Scene 9?
4. What is Stroll's excuse for not doing more translations?
5. What happens as Act 2, Scene 8 progresses?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)