|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 9, how many translations does Stroll say he has done?
2. What does Gross promise Maria in the second part of Act 2, Scene 9 that he will not do?
(a) Fight for himself.
(b) Make any trouble.
(c) Ignore the audit.
(d) Back down.
3. What reason does Gross give Maria for wanting to stay with the company?
(a) So he can get revenge on Ballas.
(b) So he can eventually take Stroll's job.
(c) So he can work at the Department of Authentication.
(d) So he can watch her.
4. What is Gross' response when Ballas asks him about Ptydepe in Act 2, Scene 9?
(a) He lectures Ballas about the importance of Ptydepe.
(b) He doesn't know what to say.
(c) He says that Ptydepe is stronger than ever.
(d) He ignores Ballas.
5. What does Gross give to Ballas at his request in Act 2, Scene 9?
(b) A report.
(c) A cigar.
(d) A bag of onions.
6. What proposal does Ballas make to Gross in Act 2, Scene 9?
(a) To work together to put the company back on track.
(b) To learn Ptydepe together.
(c) To create a new language that will replace Ptydepe.
(d) To gather information to get Pillar fired.
7. What does Ballas finally do in Act 2, Scene 10 that is noteworthy?
(a) He reveals that he understands Ptydepe.
(b) He fires Thumb.
(c) He smokes a cigarette.
(d) He learns how to make coffee.
8. Which two characters enter and leave during Lear's lecture in Act 2 , Scene 11?
(a) Ballas and Column.
(b) Pillar and Column.
(c) Ballas and Gross.
(d) Stroll and Gross.
9. How does George categorize Maria's actions?
10. Where is the job that Maria has found for Gross?
(a) A coffee shop.
(b) A theatre company.
(c) A different office.
(d) A shoe repair service.
11. What does Gross do on his way to lunch in Act 2, Scene 11?
(a) He smokes a cigarette.
(b) He stops to ask Thumb a question about Ptydepe.
(c) He stops to listen to Lear.
(d) He asks Maria to join him.
12. At what state is Ptydepe left in at the end of Act 2, Scene 8?
(b) Declining, but still necessary.
(d) Almost non-existent.
13. What is Maria's reaction to Gross' new position?
(a) She congratulates him.
(b) She is angry with him.
(c) She is disappointed.
(d) She does not say anything.
14. How does Gross feel and act at the beginning of Act 2, Scene10?
(a) Optimistic and triumphant.
(b) Beaten down.
(d) Angry and frustrated.
15. What does Gross' new position in Act 2, Scene 8 represent in the overall arch of the plot?
(a) His influence within the company.
(b) His gradual return to power.
(c) His value to the company.
(d) Ballas' intimidation of him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Stroll's excuse for not doing more translations?
2. In a broader interpretation, what is the one thing that bureaucracy relies on to keep its power?
3. What is interesting about the way Ballas receives the mail in Act 2, Scene 7?
4. Who is the only student Lear is lecturing during Act 2, Scene 8?
5. What happens to take away from the power Gross thought he had at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 10?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)