|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hana inform Ballas the memo could possibly be?
(a) A protest against Ptydepe.
(b) Gross' resignation.
(c) His termination notice.
(d) An invoice for the new log book.
2. What does George throw at Gross after hearing the news of his position change?
(a) A cup of coffee.
(b) The memo.
(c) A fire extinguisher.
(d) A Ptydepe Dictionary.
3. What reason does Gross give Maria for wanting to stay with the company?
(a) So he can eventually take Stroll's job.
(b) So he can get revenge on Ballas.
(c) So he can watch her.
(d) So he can work at the Department of Authentication.
4. What is the translated memo a protest of?
(a) The removal of the Accounts Department to make room for the Translation Center.
(b) Ballas' attitude with other employees.
(c) The lack of respect Helena is showing Maria.
(d) The removal of Gross from his previous position of authority.
5. Who is the only student Lear is lecturing during Act 2, Scene 8?
6. Who does Hana point out does not know Ptydepe either?
7. What does Gross think he has to earn at the end of Act 2, Scene 9?
(a) Maria's respect and sympathy.
(b) Maria's trust.
(c) Maria's love and admiration.
(d) Maria's loyalty.
8. What does Gross give to Ballas at his request in Act 2, Scene 9?
(a) A cigar.
(b) A report.
(d) A bag of onions.
9. What proposal does Ballas make to Gross in Act 2, Scene 9?
(a) To gather information to get Pillar fired.
(b) To work together to put the company back on track.
(c) To learn Ptydepe together.
(d) To create a new language that will replace Ptydepe.
10. What is the overall message in Act 2, Scene 11?
(a) Gross realizes that he has too many enemies.
(b) Chorukor is better that Ptydepe.
(c) A bureaucratic system will continue to exist if left unchecked.
(d) Lear is not a very good teacher.
11. Who does Ballas attempt to blame for the Ptydepe fiasco?
12. What symbolism of hope does Havel use at the end of Act 2, Scene 8?
(a) Gross appearing with more authority than before.
(b) Ballas leaving the classroom defeated.
(c) Gross answering all of the questions correctly.
(d) Lear teaching to an empty classroom.
13. What is Maria's reaction to Gross' reason for staying?
(a) She runs away.
(b) She becomes embarrassed.
(c) She ignores him.
(d) She becomes angry.
14. What is Lear asked for as he begins teaching about Chorukor?
(a) Its origin.
(b) The reasoning behind it.
(c) Its intent.
15. What is the point of Chorukor?
(a) To stop Ballas from resigning.
(b) To please the higher-ups.
(c) To correct all of Ptydepe's mistakes.
(d) To prevent employees from talking to each other.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Maria's reaction to Gross' new position?
2. What does Ballas announce to the group in Actc 2, Scene 10?
3. What recurring item in the play does Gross hang up at the end of Act 2, Scene 10?
4. What do Hana's continued repetitive trips to the store signify?
5. Who receives an A from Lear for answering correctly in Act 2, Scene 11?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)