|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maria do in the second part of Act 2, Scene 9 that no one else in the play has done up until this point?
(a) Offers Gross coffee.
(b) Translates Gross' memo.
(c) Makes Gross smile.
(d) Stands up to Helena.
2. What does Ballas announce to the group in Actc 2, Scene 10?
(a) That he is resigning.
(b) That Gross will be the Managing Director once again.
(c) That Stroll talked him into starting Ptydepe.
(d) That Gross is responsible for Ptydepe.
3. What is the overall message in Act 2, Scene 11?
(a) A bureaucratic system will continue to exist if left unchecked.
(b) Chorukor is better that Ptydepe.
(c) Lear is not a very good teacher.
(d) Gross realizes that he has too many enemies.
4. What is the translated memo a protest of?
(a) The removal of the Accounts Department to make room for the Translation Center.
(b) Ballas' attitude with other employees.
(c) The lack of respect Helena is showing Maria.
(d) The removal of Gross from his previous position of authority.
5. What happens as Act 2, Scene 8 progresses?
(a) Helena interrupts the lecture.
(b) Ballas interrupts the lecture.
(c) Lear becomes confused.
(d) Lear's student becomes confused.
6. What does Hana tell Ballas people are saying about Ptydepe?
(a) It does not exist.
(b) It is based on doubtful principles.
(c) It was made up by Ballas.
(d) Only Stroll can speak it.
7. Who is the only student Lear is lecturing during Act 2, Scene 8?
8. What is interesting about the way Ballas receives the mail in Act 2, Scene 7?
(a) It happens at the end of the day.
(b) It happens at the beginning of the day.
(c) It illustrates his reliance on Pillar.
(d) It mirrors the way Gross did at the beginning of the play.
9. According to Maria, what is the key to winning a fight?
(a) Not backing down.
(b) Being creative to overcome any weakness.
(c) Doing whatever it takes, even if it means not fighting fairly.
(d) Being stronger than what you are fighting.
10. Who receives an A from Lear for answering correctly in Act 2, Scene 11?
11. What is Ballas' role in Lear's class?
(a) He protests against it.
(b) He was tricked by Lear into authorizing it.
(c) He is trying to understand it.
(d) He is unaware of it because he is focused on lunch.
12. At what state is Ptydepe left in at the end of Act 2, Scene 8?
(b) Declining, but still necessary.
(d) Almost non-existent.
13. What is the point of Chorukor?
(a) To prevent employees from talking to each other.
(b) To correct all of Ptydepe's mistakes.
(c) To please the higher-ups.
(d) To stop Ballas from resigning.
14. What does George throw at Gross after hearing the news of his position change?
(a) The memo.
(b) A Ptydepe Dictionary.
(c) A fire extinguisher.
(d) A cup of coffee.
15. How does George categorize Maria's actions?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gross feel and act at the beginning of Act 2, Scene10?
2. Acknowledging the intent of the play, what does Havel feel should triumph over bureaucracy?
3. What is Ballas holding when he enters the room in Act 2, Scene 9?
4. Why does Gross state that he would have rather kept his former position?
5. What new position does Ballas offer Gross in Act 2, Scene 7?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)