|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What stunning topic does Lear bring up in Act 2, Scene 11?
(a) Gross' audit and how Ptydepe saved him.
(b) His promotion to the Department of Authentication.
(c) The creation of a new operating language.
(d) The termination of Stroll by the higher-ups.
2. What reason does Gross give Maria for wanting to stay with the company?
(a) So he can eventually take Stroll's job.
(b) So he can work at the Department of Authentication.
(c) So he can get revenge on Ballas.
(d) So he can watch her.
3. What does Maria do in the second part of Act 2, Scene 9 that no one else in the play has done up until this point?
(a) Makes Gross smile.
(b) Stands up to Helena.
(c) Offers Gross coffee.
(d) Translates Gross' memo.
4. What is interesting about the way Ballas receives the mail in Act 2, Scene 7?
(a) It mirrors the way Gross did at the beginning of the play.
(b) It happens at the beginning of the day.
(c) It happens at the end of the day.
(d) It illustrates his reliance on Pillar.
5. Where is the job that Maria has found for Gross?
(a) A shoe repair service.
(b) A theatre company.
(c) A coffee shop.
(d) A different office.
6. What is Gross' response when Ballas asks him about Ptydepe in Act 2, Scene 9?
(a) He says that Ptydepe is stronger than ever.
(b) He lectures Ballas about the importance of Ptydepe.
(c) He ignores Ballas.
(d) He doesn't know what to say.
7. Who does Hana point out does not know Ptydepe either?
8. What action does Lear take as a result of his impatience in Act 2, Scene 8?
(a) He calls for Ballas.
(b) He begins yelling louder.
(c) He calls for Stroll.
(d) He dismisses the student.
9. According to Maria, what is the key to winning a fight?
(a) Being stronger than what you are fighting.
(b) Not backing down.
(c) Doing whatever it takes, even if it means not fighting fairly.
(d) Being creative to overcome any weakness.
10. What proposal does Ballas make to Gross in Act 2, Scene 9?
(a) To gather information to get Pillar fired.
(b) To work together to put the company back on track.
(c) To learn Ptydepe together.
(d) To create a new language that will replace Ptydepe.
11. What idea does Ballas come up with in Act 2, Scene 10?
(a) For him to talk with the higher-ups about Gross' ambitions.
(b) For him to become Gross' deputy.
(c) For Gross to forget about his desire to end Ptydepe.
(d) For Gross to admit Ptydepe was his fault.
12. What does Ballas finally do in Act 2, Scene 10 that is noteworthy?
(a) He smokes a cigarette.
(b) He reveals that he understands Ptydepe.
(c) He fires Thumb.
(d) He learns how to make coffee.
13. What symbolism of hope does Havel use at the end of Act 2, Scene 8?
(a) Gross answering all of the questions correctly.
(b) Ballas leaving the classroom defeated.
(c) Lear teaching to an empty classroom.
(d) Gross appearing with more authority than before.
14. What recurring item in the play does Gross hang up at the end of Act 2, Scene 10?
(a) His fire extinguisher.
(b) The original memorandum.
(c) His coat.
(d) His hat.
15. How does George categorize Maria's actions?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is significant about Pillar in Act 2, Scene 9?
2. What does Gross give to Ballas at his request in Act 2, Scene 9?
3. What is Ballas holding when he enters the room in Act 2, Scene 9?
4. What does Hana tell Ballas people are saying about Ptydepe?
5. What is Maria's reaction to Gross' new position?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)