|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What point does Havel make about Ptydepe in Act 2, Scene 8?
(a) Even Lear doesn't understand it.
(b) Even people who seemed to understand it before can see its uselessness.
(c) Now Gross realizes its importance.
(d) The company would be lost without it.
2. What does George throw at Gross after hearing the news of his position change?
(a) A Ptydepe Dictionary.
(b) A fire extinguisher.
(c) A cup of coffee.
(d) The memo.
3. Who is the only student Lear is lecturing during Act 2, Scene 8?
4. In a broader interpretation, what is the one thing that bureaucracy relies on to keep its power?
(a) The support of the people.
(c) More bureaucracy.
5. Who vocally protests the use of Ptydepe in unison?
(a) Helena, Stroll, and Column.
(b) Helena, Stroll, and Savant.
(c) Helena, Maria, and Hana.
(d) Helena, Stroll, and George.
6. What is Lear lecturing about at the start of Act 2, Scene 11?
(a) How to improve Ptydepe.
(b) The way Ptydepe is structured.
(c) Why everyone still needs to know Ptydepe.
(d) The mistakes of Ptydepe.
7. What does Gross' new position in Act 2, Scene 8 represent in the overall arch of the plot?
(a) His gradual return to power.
(b) His influence within the company.
(c) His value to the company.
(d) Ballas' intimidation of him.
8. Once Gross refuses to back down, what does Ballas suggest?
(a) That Gross should be terminated.
(b) That he and Gross should resign.
(c) That Gross should work in the Accounts Department.
(d) That he and Gross should talk to Stroll.
9. What is causing the declining importance of Ptydepe?
(a) It's complexity.
(b) Ballas' insistence that it be made mandatory.
(c) A lack of interest.
(d) There are no more training classes being offered.
10. What does Ballas finally do in Act 2, Scene 10 that is noteworthy?
(a) He reveals that he understands Ptydepe.
(b) He smokes a cigarette.
(c) He fires Thumb.
(d) He learns how to make coffee.
11. In Act 2, Scene 10, what does Gross inform Ballas are his intentions?
(a) To end the use of Ptydepe.
(b) To restore the Accounts Department.
(c) To resign.
(d) To visit the higher-ups.
12. Gross tells Maria that his current situation is a result of what?
(a) Trusting too much and giving in.
(b) Bad luck.
(c) His inability to deal with life.
(d) His lack of intelligence.
13. What does Ballas announce to the group in Actc 2, Scene 10?
(a) That Gross will be the Managing Director once again.
(b) That Gross is responsible for Ptydepe.
(c) That he is resigning.
(d) That Stroll talked him into starting Ptydepe.
14. What action does Lear take as a result of his impatience in Act 2, Scene 8?
(a) He calls for Ballas.
(b) He begins yelling louder.
(c) He dismisses the student.
(d) He calls for Stroll.
15. What reason does Gross give Maria for wanting to stay with the company?
(a) So he can watch her.
(b) So he can eventually take Stroll's job.
(c) So he can get revenge on Ballas.
(d) So he can work at the Department of Authentication.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new position does Ballas offer Gross in Act 2, Scene 7?
2. At the beginning of Act 2, Scene 9, what is Maria trying on?
3. What does Gross give to Ballas at his request in Act 2, Scene 9?
4. What happens to take away from the power Gross thought he had at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 10?
5. What angers Ballas about Pillar's meetings?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)