|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Hana's continued repetitive trips to the store signify?
(a) Bureaucracy does not matter to regular people.
(b) She has no respect for Ballas.
(c) She is becoming more forgetful.
(d) She wishes Gross was her boss again.
2. What new position does Ballas offer Gross in Act 2, Scene 7?
(a) Head of the Department of Authentication.
(c) Director of Accounting.
(d) Staff Watcher.
3. According to Lear, what is a big factor in the way people use Ptydepe?
(a) They lose track of what they are trying to communicate.
(b) They get confused by the need for an additional language.
(c) They are not smart enough to use Ptydepe.
(d) They resent Ptydepe and never give it a fair chance.
4. What is significant about Pillar in Act 2, Scene 9?
(a) He talks to everyone but Gross.
(b) He admits that he understands Ptydepe.
(c) He reveals his plan for taking Ballas's position.
(d) He remains unnoticed by Ballas.
5. What happens as Act 2, Scene 8 progresses?
(a) Helena interrupts the lecture.
(b) Lear's student becomes confused.
(c) Ballas interrupts the lecture.
(d) Lear becomes confused.
6. Acknowledging the intent of the play, what does Havel feel should triumph over bureaucracy?
7. What does Gross' new position in Act 2, Scene 8 represent in the overall arch of the plot?
(a) Ballas' intimidation of him.
(b) His influence within the company.
(c) His value to the company.
(d) His gradual return to power.
8. At the beginning of Act 2, Scene 9, what is Maria trying on?
(a) An overcoat.
(b) A hat.
(c) A scarf.
(d) A new dress.
9. Who is the only student Lear is lecturing during Act 2, Scene 8?
10. When the results of a recent audit of Gross' department are finally revealed, what are the findings?
(a) That Gross should receive a promotion.
(b) That Gross did in fact steal from the company and should be terminated.
(c) That Gross is innocent of all charges and the higher-ups agree with him about Ptydepe.
(d) That Gross was unfairly removed from his position and that Ballas should be terminated.
11. At the beginning of Act 2, Scene 8, how is Lear's student answering the questions?
(a) He is refusing to answer them.
(c) He is deliberately asking questions of his own.
12. What is significant about Ballas' order for Hana to go out and get the chocolates?
(a) He doesn't wait for her to ask permission to go.
(b) He doesn't ask if she wanted chocolates in the first place.
(c) He doesn't offer any money to pay for them.
(d) Ballas doesn't even like chocolates.
13. Who receives an A from Lear for answering correctly in Act 2, Scene 11?
14. What is Ballas holding when he enters the room in Act 2, Scene 9?
(a) A fire extinguisher.
(b) A cup of coffee.
(c) A bag of limes.
(d) A memo.
15. What is Maria's reaction to Gross' new position?
(a) She does not say anything.
(b) She congratulates him.
(c) She is angry with him.
(d) She is disappointed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gross promise Maria in the second part of Act 2, Scene 9 that he will not do?
2. In Act 2, Scene 10, what does Gross inform Ballas are his intentions?
3. Who does Hana point out does not know Ptydepe either?
4. Who passes through the lecture as Lear is talking?
5. What is the translated memo a protest of?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)