|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Ballas attempt to blame for the Ptydepe fiasco?
2. Acknowledging the intent of the play, what does Havel feel should triumph over bureaucracy?
3. What does Gross think he has to earn at the end of Act 2, Scene 9?
(a) Maria's respect and sympathy.
(b) Maria's trust.
(c) Maria's love and admiration.
(d) Maria's loyalty.
4. What is Gross' response when Ballas asks him about Ptydepe in Act 2, Scene 9?
(a) He doesn't know what to say.
(b) He lectures Ballas about the importance of Ptydepe.
(c) He says that Ptydepe is stronger than ever.
(d) He ignores Ballas.
5. What does Ballas announce to the group in Actc 2, Scene 10?
(a) That he is resigning.
(b) That Gross will be the Managing Director once again.
(c) That Stroll talked him into starting Ptydepe.
(d) That Gross is responsible for Ptydepe.
6. What is causing the declining importance of Ptydepe?
(a) It's complexity.
(b) There are no more training classes being offered.
(c) Ballas' insistence that it be made mandatory.
(d) A lack of interest.
7. Gross admits that he has always been more of a dreamer than what?
(a) A doer.
(b) A fighter.
(c) A survivor.
(d) A liar.
8. What is Lear lecturing about at the start of Act 2, Scene 11?
(a) The mistakes of Ptydepe.
(b) The way Ptydepe is structured.
(c) How to improve Ptydepe.
(d) Why everyone still needs to know Ptydepe.
9. What does Maria encourage Gross to do in the second part of Act 2, Scene 9?
(a) Fight to prove his innocence.
(b) Take over Ballas' position.
(c) Resign from the company.
(d) Give her a promotion.
10. According to Maria, what is the key to winning a fight?
(a) Doing whatever it takes, even if it means not fighting fairly.
(b) Being stronger than what you are fighting.
(c) Being creative to overcome any weakness.
(d) Not backing down.
11. What is Pillar's response when he is asked by Ballas if he knows Ptydepe?
(a) He shakes his head.
(b) He begins to read a document in Ptydepe.
(c) He tells Ballas that he isn't sure.
(d) He leaves the room immediately.
12. Who vocally protests the use of Ptydepe in unison?
(a) Helena, Maria, and Hana.
(b) Helena, Stroll, and Savant.
(c) Helena, Stroll, and Column.
(d) Helena, Stroll, and George.
13. Where is the job that Maria has found for Gross?
(a) A theatre company.
(b) A shoe repair service.
(c) A different office.
(d) A coffee shop.
14. What is interesting about the way Ballas receives the mail in Act 2, Scene 7?
(a) It happens at the beginning of the day.
(b) It mirrors the way Gross did at the beginning of the play.
(c) It illustrates his reliance on Pillar.
(d) It happens at the end of the day.
15. What new position does Ballas offer Gross in Act 2, Scene 7?
(b) Director of Accounting.
(c) Head of the Department of Authentication.
(d) Staff Watcher.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the point of Chorukor?
2. In Act 2, Scene 9, how many translations does Stroll say he has done?
3. What is the translated memo a protest of?
4. Once Gross refuses to back down, what does Ballas suggest?
5. At the beginning of Act 2, Scene 9, what is Maria trying on?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)