|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Gross rumored to be using inappropriately?
(a) A rubber stamp.
(b) The company vehicle.
(c) His authority.
(d) Company funds.
2. What overall theme does the author use the office to illustrate?
(a) Office managers seldom know what is happening in their own office.
(b) The problems workers have with authority.
(c) Government bureaucracy.
(d) How to deal with troubled employees.
3. What does Gross ask Lear to do for him in Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) Translate the memo.
(b) Tell him where the next Ptydepe class is.
(c) Help him learn Ptydepe.
(d) Help him get his former position back.
4. The character of Lear was given the name as a possible reference to what?
(a) A famous opera.
(b) A philosopher.
(c) A Shakespearean play.
(d) A type of look.
5. Ballas and the higher-ups manipulate Gross in order to bring what to the company?
(c) A more efficient system.
(d) Less paperwork.
6. What does Gross give Ballas and Pillar?
(a) An I.O.U.
(c) A money order.
(d) A check.
7. What does Ballas manipulate Gross into admitting in Act 1, Scene 6?
(a) His dislike for Stroll.
(b) That he has no intention of learning Ptydepe.
(c) That he wants his former position back.
(d) His guilt in being disrespectful, and misusing company funds and property.
8. What does Helena's constant need for Maria to help her make coffee symbolize?
(a) That she really likes coffee.
(b) That she is impatient.
(c) That she has no regard for Maria's time.
(d) That the people who have power cannot do anything for themselves.
9. What is it about the letter that automatically irritates Gross?
(a) It is written in an unknown language.
(b) It is not addressed to him.
(c) It is written in a condescending tone.
(d) It is extremely long.
10. What kind of a party is going on in Act 1, Scene 6?
(a) A retirement party.
(b) A promotion party.
(c) A Birthday party.
(d) A Ptydepe party.
11. What does Lear take a great deal of time to do?
(a) Argue with Gross.
(b) Answer questions.
(c) Explain how Ptydepe was developed.
(d) Finish a sentence.
12. What indicates the author's symbolic use of metaphors?
(a) The setting.
(b) Gross' quest for information.
(c) Helena's mysterious actions.
(d) The names of the characters.
13. What is Gross trying to get accomplished in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) He is trying to get the memorandum translated.
(b) He is trying to get the new log book authenticated.
(c) He is trying to get the books balanced.
(d) He is trying to get back to his office.
14. What does Gross fear if he does not agree to the switch?
(a) He will have a lawsuit filed against him.
(b) His career will be over.
(c) He will be even further demoted.
(d) He will have to talk to the Staff Watcher again.
15. What does Ballas ask Gross at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) If he has any more rolls.
(b) If he is ready to be reasonable.
(c) If he can purchase an additional log book.
(d) If he received the authorization.
Short Answer Questions
1. What habit does Hana have that prevents her from doing work?
2. What does Maria offer Helena in Act 1, scene 3?
3. What is Gross' main concern that leads him to become angry in Act 1, Scene 6?
4. What does Helena ask Maria to do with the bag of limes she is carrying?
5. What does the clerk's character symbolize?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)