|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Stroll and Savant offer as proof for their theory that Gross "lusts after" Maria?
(a) That Gross always gets up when she enters the room.
(b) That Gross has asked her out on a date.
(c) That Gross has trouble speaking when she is around.
(d) That the Staff Watcher heard Gross call her sweetheart.
2. What happens to cause everyone at the party to stop talking?
(a) Gross shouts for them to be quiet.
(b) Maria slaps Stroll for making a rude comment.
(c) Ballas and Pillar enter the room.
(d) They discover there is no more coffee.
3. At the beginning of the play, what kind of letter does Gross receive?
(a) A shipping invoice.
(b) A memorandum.
(c) A bill.
(d) A late notice.
4. What is Gross symbolically holding when Ballas and Pillar return to his office in Act 1 Scene 4?
(a) A Ptydepe Dictionary.
(b) A paper weight.
(c) A fire extinguisher.
(d) An empty box.
5. According to Lear, how is the best way to learn Ptydepe?
(b) With an abandonment of English.
(c) With unshakeable faith.
(d) By speaking it every day.
6. What does Gross carry with him throughout Scene 2?
(a) The memorandum.
(b) The new log book.
(c) A roll.
(d) A pen and paper.
7. The larger metaphor for the clerk is a warning against what?
(b) A Dictatorship.
(c) A Monarchy.
8. What does Lear acknowledge about Ptydepe?
(a) It is pointless.
(b) It seems complicated.
(c) It is not structured well.
(d) It was created for the wrong reasons.
9. Where does Gross wish he could return to at the end of Acct 1, Scene 4?
(a) Stroll's office.
(b) The Ptydepe Training Room.
(c) His childhood.
(d) His apartment.
10. The irony of the events in Acct 1, Scene 5 is that Gross' lack of knowledge prevents him from gaining what?
(b) His dignity.
(c) His management position back.
11. What is Act 1, Scene 3 trying to illustrate about Gross?
(a) He is being deliberately given too much information at once.
(b) He has no desire to learn Ptydepe.
(c) He will have to rely on Maria from this point on.
(d) He is being kept out of the loop.
12. What does Maria ask Gross in Act 1, Scene 6?
(a) Why he tried to steal from Stroll's office.
(b) If he is going to learn Ptydepe.
(c) Why he is no longer Managing Director.
(d) What he is doing at the party.
13. What kind of a party is going on in Act 1, Scene 6?
(a) A promotion party.
(b) A retirement party.
(c) A Ptydepe party.
(d) A Birthday party.
14. What does Lear take a great deal of time to do?
(a) Argue with Gross.
(b) Finish a sentence.
(c) Answer questions.
(d) Explain how Ptydepe was developed.
15. Which phrase best describes the clerk's actions?
(d) Sucking up.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does George, the Staff Watcher, do that upsets Gross and causes him to leave the room?
2. What do Stroll and Savant remark about Maria?
3. What is the goal of the higher-ups in explaining the necessity for Ptydepe?
4. Hypothetically, the use of Ptydepe could remove what from the office?
5. Where is Ballas located at the end of Act 1, Scene 4?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)