|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gross' lack of Ptydepe knowledge signal, according to Lear?
(a) That he is smarter than the rest of the class.
(b) That he is not genuinely interested in learning Ptydepe.
(c) That he deserved to be removed from his position.
(d) That he should not be working for the company.
2. As explained in the play, what is Ptydepe designed to reduce?
(b) Clerical errors.
(d) A language barrier between employees.
3. What does Gross finally concede to do in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) Apologize to Stroll.
(b) Talk to the Staff Watcher.
(c) Purchase a new rubber stamp.
(d) Authorize the continued use of Ptydepe.
4. What does Ballas threaten Gross with?
(a) Speaking Ptydepe to Gross permanently.
(b) Causing Gross to lose his job.
(c) Going over his head to get the notice authenticated.
(d) Resigning from the company.
5. What does Gross do with the letter?
(a) He throws it away.
(b) He reads it out loud.
(c) He ignores it.
(d) He burns it.
6. What leads to Ballas and Gross switching positions?
(a) The Staff Watcher's report.
(b) A decision from the higher-ups.
(c) Gross' lack of Ptydepe proficiency.
(d) A bet that Gross loses.
7. What is Gross symbolically holding when Ballas and Pillar return to his office in Act 1 Scene 4?
(a) A fire extinguisher.
(b) An empty box.
(c) A Ptydepe Dictionary.
(d) A paper weight.
8. What Department does the Ptydepe Translation Center replace?
(a) The Marketing Department.
(b) The Accounts Department.
(c) The Human Resources Department.
(d) The Shipping Department.
9. What does Hana repeatedly ask Gross in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) If he knows where the new snack bar is located.
(b) If she can get some more milk.
(c) If she can go to lunch.
(d) If she can have the authorization for Ptydepe lessons.
10. At the beginning of the play, what kind of letter does Gross receive?
(a) A late notice.
(b) A bill.
(c) A shipping invoice.
(d) A memorandum.
11. What does Gross ask Lear to do for him in Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) Translate the memo.
(b) Help him learn Ptydepe.
(c) Tell him where the next Ptydepe class is.
(d) Help him get his former position back.
12. Where does Act 1, Scene 3 take place?
(a) The Ptydepe Classroom.
(b) The Ptydepe Translation Center.
(c) The Department of Authenticity.
(d) The Accounting Office.
13. What indicates the author's symbolic use of metaphors?
(a) The setting.
(b) The names of the characters.
(c) Gross' quest for information.
(d) Helena's mysterious actions.
14. What does Gross give Ballas and Pillar?
(a) A money order.
(b) An I.O.U.
(d) A check.
15. What is Gross's new title?
(a) Deputy Director.
(b) Assistant Manager.
(c) Deputy Manager.
(d) Assistant Director.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the overall point that Havel is making in Act 1, Scene 5?
2. Where is Ballas located at the end of Act 1, Scene 4?
3. What does the clerk receive for asking the questions?
4. Who receives an A, scoring better than Gross, on their knowledge of Ptydepe?
5. Lear agrees to help Gross, only if he can show that his interest in Ptydepe is what?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)