|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ballas constantly look to Pillar for?
(a) The meaning of words.
(c) To finish his sentences.
2. One main point in Act 1, Scene 4 is to display that Ballas and the higher-ups are after power for what purpose?
(a) To destroy Gross.
(b) To cause chaos.
(c) To benefit financially.
(d) For its own sake.
3. Which phrase best describes the clerk's actions?
(d) Sucking up.
4. What does Gross ask Lear to do for him in Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) Help him learn Ptydepe.
(b) Translate the memo.
(c) Tell him where the next Ptydepe class is.
(d) Help him get his former position back.
5. What is Gross rumored to be using inappropriately?
(a) His authority.
(b) The company vehicle.
(c) Company funds.
(d) A rubber stamp.
6. Who gets quizzed along with Gross on their knowledge of Ptydepe?
7. What overall theme does the author use the office to illustrate?
(a) Office managers seldom know what is happening in their own office.
(b) How to deal with troubled employees.
(c) The problems workers have with authority.
(d) Government bureaucracy.
8. Where does Act 1, Scene 3 take place?
(a) The Accounting Office.
(b) The Ptydepe Classroom.
(c) The Department of Authenticity.
(d) The Ptydepe Translation Center.
9. The character of Lear was given the name as a possible reference to what?
(a) A type of look.
(b) A philosopher.
(c) A Shakespearean play.
(d) A famous opera.
10. What do Stroll and Savant remark about Maria?
(a) She is always getting food.
(b) She doesn't know Ptydepe yet.
(c) She is attractive.
(d) She is lazy.
11. The irony of the events in Acct 1, Scene 5 is that Gross' lack of knowledge prevents him from gaining what?
(c) His dignity.
(d) His management position back.
12. What does Ballas ask Gross at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) If he can purchase an additional log book.
(b) If he received the authorization.
(c) If he is ready to be reasonable.
(d) If he has any more rolls.
13. Why does Ballas tell Gross that the log book needs to be replaced?
(a) It has been damaged.
(b) It is full.
(c) It is lost.
(d) It has been stolen.
14. What does George, the Staff Watcher, do that upsets Gross and causes him to leave the room?
(a) He reveals his location.
(b) He refuses to give him authorization.
(c) He threatens him with termination.
(d) He begins speaking in Ptydepe.
15. At the beginning of the play, what kind of letter does Gross receive?
(a) A memorandum.
(b) A late notice.
(c) A shipping invoice.
(d) A bill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the underlying message about Stroll's position?
2. What does the item that Gross is carrying in Act 1, Scene 5 symbolize?
3. What does Gross finally concede to do in Act 1, Scene 4?
4. What does Gross do with the letter?
5. Ballas and the higher-ups manipulate Gross in order to bring what to the company?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)