|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Act 1, Scene 3 take place?
(a) The Accounting Office.
(b) The Department of Authenticity.
(c) The Ptydepe Translation Center.
(d) The Ptydepe Classroom.
2. What is the clerk's name in Scene 2?
3. What is Gross symbolically holding when Ballas and Pillar return to his office in Act 1 Scene 4?
(a) A fire extinguisher.
(b) A paper weight.
(c) A Ptydepe Dictionary.
(d) An empty box.
4. What do Ballas and Gross argue about?
(a) Gross' refusal to understand Ptydepe.
(b) Ballas' salary.
(c) The termination of Ptydepe.
(d) The Staff Watcher's report.
5. What does Lear take a great deal of time to do?
(a) Explain how Ptydepe was developed.
(b) Finish a sentence.
(c) Argue with Gross.
(d) Answer questions.
6. What does Gross do with the letter?
(a) He burns it.
(b) He throws it away.
(c) He ignores it.
(d) He reads it out loud.
7. What does Lear acknowledge about Ptydepe?
(a) It is not structured well.
(b) It is pointless.
(c) It was created for the wrong reasons.
(d) It seems complicated.
8. What does George, the Staff Watcher, do that upsets Gross and causes him to leave the room?
(a) He threatens him with termination.
(b) He refuses to give him authorization.
(c) He reveals his location.
(d) He begins speaking in Ptydepe.
9. What is the overall point that Havel is making in Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) Ptydepe is a waste of time.
(b) Gross does not belong in Ptydepe class.
(c) Everyone is smarter than Gross.
(d) Gross has no idea that he is being manipulated.
10. What is further illustrated in Scene 2?
(a) The eating habits of Hana.
(b) The dislike between Gross and Ballas.
(c) The tension between Ballas and Pillar.
(d) The foolishness of Ptydepe.
11. What is it about the letter that automatically irritates Gross?
(a) It is extremely long.
(b) It is written in a condescending tone.
(c) It is not addressed to him.
(d) It is written in an unknown language.
12. Who does the clerk's questions impress?
13. Who receives an A, scoring better than Gross, on their knowledge of Ptydepe?
14. What is Gross's new title?
(a) Assistant Manager.
(b) Deputy Director.
(c) Assistant Director.
(d) Deputy Manager.
15. As explained in the play, what is Ptydepe designed to reduce?
(a) Clerical errors.
(b) A language barrier between employees.
Short Answer Questions
1. What leads to Ballas and Gross switching positions?
2. What is Gross trying to get accomplished in Act 1, Scene 3?
3. What happens to cause everyone at the party to stop talking?
4. What does Gross carry with him throughout Scene 2?
5. What do the higher-ups apparently approve in return for the office using Ptydepe?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)