|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Ballas point out is in control of Ptydepe?
(c) The higher-ups.
2. What does Ballas threaten Gross with?
(a) Going over his head to get the notice authenticated.
(b) Speaking Ptydepe to Gross permanently.
(c) Causing Gross to lose his job.
(d) Resigning from the company.
3. Who gets quizzed along with Gross on their knowledge of Ptydepe?
4. What do Ballas and Gross argue about?
(a) Gross' refusal to understand Ptydepe.
(b) The Staff Watcher's report.
(c) The termination of Ptydepe.
(d) Ballas' salary.
5. What is Gross searching for throughout Act 1, Scene 3?
(b) His cigarettes.
(d) His coffee.
6. As a reflection of bureaucracy, what kind of explanation do the higher-ups provide for the creation of Ptydepe?
(a) A complicated one.
(b) A nonexistent one.
(c) A brief one.
(d) A straightforward one.
7. What does Ballas manipulate Gross into admitting in Act 1, Scene 6?
(a) His guilt in being disrespectful, and misusing company funds and property.
(b) That he has no intention of learning Ptydepe.
(c) That he wants his former position back.
(d) His dislike for Stroll.
8. As explained in the play, what is Ptydepe designed to reduce?
(a) A language barrier between employees.
(c) Clerical errors.
9. What does Helena's constant need for Maria to help her make coffee symbolize?
(a) That the people who have power cannot do anything for themselves.
(b) That she has no regard for Maria's time.
(c) That she really likes coffee.
(d) That she is impatient.
10. What does Maria ask Gross in Act 1, Scene 6?
(a) What he is doing at the party.
(b) Why he is no longer Managing Director.
(c) If he is going to learn Ptydepe.
(d) Why he tried to steal from Stroll's office.
11. According to Lear, how is the best way to learn Ptydepe?
(b) By speaking it every day.
(c) With unshakeable faith.
(d) With an abandonment of English.
12. What do Stroll and Savant offer as proof for their theory that Gross "lusts after" Maria?
(a) That Gross always gets up when she enters the room.
(b) That Gross has trouble speaking when she is around.
(c) That Gross has asked her out on a date.
(d) That the Staff Watcher heard Gross call her sweetheart.
13. What is the clerk's name in Scene 2?
14. What overall theme does the author use the office to illustrate?
(a) Government bureaucracy.
(b) Office managers seldom know what is happening in their own office.
(c) How to deal with troubled employees.
(d) The problems workers have with authority.
15. What habit does Hana have that prevents her from doing work?
(a) She asks too many questions.
(b) She combs her hair.
(c) She is always late.
(d) She talks too much.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Gross wish he could return to at the end of Acct 1, Scene 4?
2. Who is revealed to be the person that authorized the use of Ptydepe?
3. What does Gross' lack of Ptydepe knowledge signal, according to Lear?
4. What is the goal of the higher-ups in explaining the necessity for Ptydepe?
5. What does Gross fear if he does not agree to the switch?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)