|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 6, what is the one signal of hope that Gross does not see, symbolizing that he has lost all hope in his current situation?
(a) Stroll and Savant admit that Ptydepe is useless.
(b) Ballas admits his lack of leadership qualities.
(c) Maria hands him the cigar box.
(d) Helena reprimands Ballas for his actions.
2. Where is Ballas located at the end of Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) Strolls' office.
(b) The break room.
(c) His old desk.
(d) Gross' desk.
3. What do Stroll and Savant remark about Maria?
(a) She is lazy.
(b) She is always getting food.
(c) She doesn't know Ptydepe yet.
(d) She is attractive.
4. What does George, the Staff Watcher, do that upsets Gross and causes him to leave the room?
(a) He begins speaking in Ptydepe.
(b) He reveals his location.
(c) He refuses to give him authorization.
(d) He threatens him with termination.
5. What does Ballas ask Gross at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) If he has any more rolls.
(b) If he is ready to be reasonable.
(c) If he received the authorization.
(d) If he can purchase an additional log book.
6. Why does the Department of Authentication refuse to authenticate the new log book?
(a) The book is too expensive.
(b) The expense wasn't officially authorized.
(c) They inform them that there will no longer be a need for a log book.
(d) They purchased the wrong type of log book.
7. What does the clerk receive for asking the questions?
(a) A gold star.
(b) A lecture.
(d) An A.
8. What does the item that Gross is carrying in Act 1, Scene 5 symbolize?
(a) His lack of enthusiasm for his new position.
(b) His desire to hold onto whatever power he has left.
(c) His addiction to coffee.
(d) His intolerance for Ptydepe.
9. Where does Act 1, Scene 3 take place?
(a) The Ptydepe Translation Center.
(b) The Department of Authenticity.
(c) The Ptydepe Classroom.
(d) The Accounting Office.
10. What does Gross interrupt at the start of Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) Lear's lecture.
(b) A meeting between Lear and Stroll.
(c) A board meeting called by Lear.
(d) A conversation between Lear and Ballas.
11. What does Gross carry with him throughout Scene 2?
(a) A pen and paper.
(b) The memorandum.
(c) The new log book.
(d) A roll.
12. What does Gross tell himself to rationalize his decision in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) That he was too weak to resist it.
(b) That he had no choice.
(c) That Ballas was right.
(d) That he could better serve the company in his new position.
13. Who is Stroll?
(a) The CEO of the company.
(b) The new Accounting manager.
(c) Gross' boss.
(d) The head of the Center.
14. In defense of Ptydepe, what does Ballas declare the new language is far more of than the current one?
15. What indicates the author's symbolic use of metaphors?
(a) The setting.
(b) Helena's mysterious actions.
(c) The names of the characters.
(d) Gross' quest for information.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Helena introduce herself as?
2. What is very interesting about the intentional way Havel presents the office?
3. Why is Savant "unable" to offer Gross any coffee?
4. What is significant about the examples Lear uses for the word, "boo?"
5. What point is the author trying to make by having Hana make separate trips for food?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)