|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Ballas located at the end of Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) Strolls' office.
(b) His old desk.
(c) Gross' desk.
(d) The break room.
2. What does George, the Staff Watcher, do that upsets Gross and causes him to leave the room?
(a) He refuses to give him authorization.
(b) He reveals his location.
(c) He begins speaking in Ptydepe.
(d) He threatens him with termination.
3. What does Ballas ask Gross at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) If he received the authorization.
(b) If he can purchase an additional log book.
(c) If he is ready to be reasonable.
(d) If he has any more rolls.
4. What does Lear acknowledge about Ptydepe?
(a) It was created for the wrong reasons.
(b) It is not structured well.
(c) It seems complicated.
(d) It is pointless.
5. What do Stroll and Savant offer as proof for their theory that Gross "lusts after" Maria?
(a) That Gross always gets up when she enters the room.
(b) That Gross has asked her out on a date.
(c) That the Staff Watcher heard Gross call her sweetheart.
(d) That Gross has trouble speaking when she is around.
6. What does Helena ask Maria to do with the bag of limes she is carrying?
(a) Empty the bag immediately.
(b) Put them down.
(c) Bring them to her.
(d) Pass the limes out to the people at the party.
7. What does Gross tell himself to rationalize his decision in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) That Ballas was right.
(b) That he had no choice.
(c) That he was too weak to resist it.
(d) That he could better serve the company in his new position.
8. What does Lear take a great deal of time to do?
(a) Finish a sentence.
(b) Argue with Gross.
(c) Answer questions.
(d) Explain how Ptydepe was developed.
9. What happens to cause everyone at the party to stop talking?
(a) They discover there is no more coffee.
(b) Gross shouts for them to be quiet.
(c) Maria slaps Stroll for making a rude comment.
(d) Ballas and Pillar enter the room.
10. As explained in the play, what is Ptydepe designed to reduce?
(b) Clerical errors.
(d) A language barrier between employees.
11. What do Stroll and Savant remark about Maria?
(a) She is lazy.
(b) She is attractive.
(c) She doesn't know Ptydepe yet.
(d) She is always getting food.
12. What style of writing best describes The Memorandum?
13. What does Gross interrupt at the start of Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) A board meeting called by Lear.
(b) A meeting between Lear and Stroll.
(c) Lear's lecture.
(d) A conversation between Lear and Ballas.
14. Who is Stroll?
(a) The head of the Center.
(b) The new Accounting manager.
(c) The CEO of the company.
(d) Gross' boss.
15. The parallels Havel draws in Act 1, Scene 4 are between Ballas and what?
(b) Irrational thinking.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Lear, how is the best way to learn Ptydepe?
2. What overall theme does the author use the office to illustrate?
3. What leads to Ballas and Gross switching positions?
4. What is the underlying message about Stroll's position?
5. In defense of Ptydepe, what does Ballas declare the new language is far more of than the current one?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)