|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Maria's reaction to Gross' reason for staying?
(a) She becomes angry.
(b) She runs away.
(c) She becomes embarrassed.
(d) She ignores him.
2. What is significant about the examples Lear uses for the word, "boo?"
(a) They describe the act of scaring someone who has been stealing, which symbolizes the Staff Watcher catching Gross earlier.
(b) They describe the act of trying to scare someone, which symbolizes Gross' intent earlier.
(c) They describe the act of crying, which symbolizes Gross' sorrow over his title loss.
(d) They describe an ambush or surprise, which symbolizes what Gross is experiencing.
3. What does Gross interrupt at the start of Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) A conversation between Lear and Ballas.
(b) Lear's lecture.
(c) A meeting between Lear and Stroll.
(d) A board meeting called by Lear.
4. The larger metaphor for the clerk is a warning against what?
(c) A Dictatorship.
(d) A Monarchy.
5. What does the clerk's character symbolize?
(a) The dangers of blind loyalty in a bureaucratic system.
(b) The result of a meaningless system.
(c) The notion of how lazy workers can advance in a company through deceit.
(d) The concerns of the common worker.
Short Answer Questions
1. What style of writing best describes The Memorandum?
2. What is Maria's reaction to Gross' new position?
3. Who is Stroll?
4. In a broader interpretation, what is the one thing that bureaucracy relies on to keep its power?
5. What does George, the Staff Watcher, do that upsets Gross and causes him to leave the room?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)