Act 1, Scene 1
* The central character, Gross, is introduced as the Managing Director of the office.
* The discovery of an unknown language, Ptydepe, on a memorandum is the first sign of unwelcome and unnecessary change.
* Hana, the Secretary, displays some very strange and entertaining habits.
* Gross' Deputy Director, Ballas, shows signs that he might have questionable motives.
Act 1, Scene 2
* The Ptydepe Classroom is introduced, along with Lear, the instructor.
* Lear explains the origin and purpose of Ptydepe.
* Thumb, a student, is eager to learn the new language.
Act 1, Scene 3
* Gross attempts to get the memo translated.
* Stroll, Savant, and Helena, typical bureaucrats, are no help to Gross.
* Maria is introduced in preventing Gross from acting on a desperate impulse.
* The Staff Watcher, George, speaks to Gross.
Act 1, Scene 4
* Ballas manipulates Gross into signing the Ptydepe authorization.
* Hana continues her frequent trips in and out of the office.
* Gross agrees...
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)