Act 1, Scene 1
• The central character, Gross, is introduced as the Managing Director of the office.
• The discovery of an unknown language, Ptydepe, on a memorandum is the first sign of unwelcome and unnecessary change.
• Hana, the Secretary, displays some very strange and entertaining habits.
• Gross' Deputy Director, Ballas, shows signs that he might have questionable motives.
Act 1, Scene 2
• The Ptydepe Classroom is introduced, along with Lear, the instructor.
• Lear explains the origin and purpose of Ptydepe.
• Thumb, a student, is eager to learn the new language.
Act 1, Scene 3
• Gross attempts to get the memo translated.
• Stroll, Savant, and Helena, typical bureaucrats, are no help to Gross.
• Maria is introduced in preventing Gross from acting on a desperate impulse.
• The Staff Watcher, George, speaks to Gross.
Act 1, Scene 4
• Ballas manipulates Gross into signing the Ptydepe authorization.
• Hana continues her frequent trips in and out of the office.
• Gross agrees...
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)