|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does McNab decide to do to Maniac in retaliation for the baseball incident?
2. Why does Maniac get out of bed to go to the front door of the Beale's house?
3. How long does it take Maniac to untie the Cobble's Knot?
4. What does Maniac do for Grayson after he reads his first book?
5. What is the prize for untying the Cobble's Knot?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is it that Maniac could have a meal at the Pickwell house and nobody questions his presence?
2. How do the Beale's show that they are not prejudiced people?
3. How might Amanda Beale's character be a good match for Maniac?
4. What stops McNab and the Cobras from chasing Maniac after the home run hit? What does this say about the boys?
5. How does Grayson's background shape the man he has become today?
6. How does Maniac get his nickname?
7. Why does Maniac walk right out of town after he realizes that the encyclopedia has been used for confetti?
8. Maniac's life tale may be bigger than he actually is. What begins the exaggeration in Chapter 2?
9. The fact that Maniac takes a nap during the untying of the famous knot says a lot about the way he perceives the event. What does it say?
10. How is Maniac blind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Amanda the staying power for Maniac? What makes her different from everyone else that he encounters? How does she ultimately change Maniac?
Essay Topic 2
Why doesn't Maniac go to school? How does this decision affect Maniac, as well as the other major characters in the story?
Essay Topic 3
How is the pillbox the most frightening part of the whole novel? What does the pillbox symbolize? When John McNab states that others will build one once they see the McNabs, why does this make Maniac sick? Why should it make anyone sick?
This section contains 1,226 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)