|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who specifically has tried to untie the knot before Maniac?
2. What is the big question at the Pickwell dinner table on the night they eat spaghetti in Chapter 6?
3. What did Grayson want to grow up to be?
4. How does Amanda's mom act when she first meets Maniac?
5. What do Maniac and Grayson do right after Thanksgiving dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maniac get his nickname?
2. How does Amanda treat Maniac differently than everyone else in Chapter 11 and previous chapters?
3. How does Grayson's background shape the man he has become today?
4. Right at the start of this novel, the reader knows that the main character is going to have a different life than the normal pre-teen. How so?
5. How is Maniac blind?
6. How does Maniac manage to infuriate McNab and does he do it on purpose?
7. How does the story of Grayson't past affect Maniac?
8. What does the reader learn about Maniac's personality through the scene of Mars Bar and Maniac and the candy bar?
9. The fact that Maniac takes a nap during the untying of the famous knot says a lot about the way he perceives the event. What does it say?
10. What is the underlying reason that Maniac wants to leave town after the incident at the fire hydrant party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Maniac truly searching for for himself? How is this search a theme of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What is the theme of the book concerning race? How is the theme expressed? What do the characters learn about race by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How is the pillbox the most frightening part of the whole novel? What does the pillbox symbolize? When John McNab states that others will build one once they see the McNabs, why does this make Maniac sick? Why should it make anyone sick?
This section contains 1,368 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)