|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maniac use only one hand to handle the football?
2. How do Hester and Lester react to Maniac?
3. Why do Maniac and Grayson trim a tree in the woods?
4. What is Maniac running on that amazes the Pickwell children?
5. What does the big black man shout about on that hot August day in chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Amanda treat Maniac differently than everyone else in Chapter 11 and previous chapters?
2. How does Maniac help others and what are his motives in doing so?
3. How is it that Maniac could have a meal at the Pickwell house and nobody questions his presence?
4. How does Maniac manage to infuriate McNab and does he do it on purpose?
5. How does Maniac impress the star quarterback, Brian Denehy in Chapter 4?
6. What do Grayson and Maniac teach each other and how does it affect them?
7. What is Grayson so curious about that he obviously has no understanding of during his meal with Maniac at the diner?
8. What does the reader learn about Maniac's personality through the scene of Mars Bar and Maniac and the candy bar?
9. How is the scene in the kitchen between Mrs. Beale and Maniac both ironic and symbolic?
10. How does Maniac get his nickname?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How and why does Maniac take on the raising of Russell and Piper? Why does he have influence over them? What does this say about Maniac's character?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Jerry Spinelli give the character of Maniac such incredible athletic abilities even though he is not an athlete?
Essay Topic 3
John McNab is a complex, dynamic character. How so? How does his characterization affect the themes of race in the novel?
This section contains 1,419 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)