|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Maniac and Grayson trim a tree in the woods?
2. What did Grayson want to grow up to be?
3. Why does Grayson not know how to read?
4. What doesn't Maniac do in his new home at the Beales?
5. What is Maniac running on that amazes the Pickwell children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Grayson and Maniac teach each other and how does it affect them?
2. Why is the big black man so upset that Maniac is playing in the fire hydrant water?
3. How is the scene in the kitchen between Mrs. Beale and Maniac both ironic and symbolic?
4. What stops McNab and the Cobras from chasing Maniac after the home run hit? What does this say about the boys?
5. How does Maniac manage to infuriate McNab and does he do it on purpose?
6. Why does Maniac walk right out of town after he realizes that the encyclopedia has been used for confetti?
7. How does Maniac impress the star quarterback, Brian Denehy in Chapter 4?
8. How does the Beale household change now that Maniac lives there?
9. How might Amanda Beale's character be a good match for Maniac?
10. Why does Maniac paint 101 on the front door of the equipment room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the relationship between Maniac and Mars Bar grow? What do each of the boys give to the other that each is lacking? How does this relationship epitomize the good in human nature?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the protagonist of the story. Why is this character the protagonist? What is the character trying to accomplish? Who is the antagonist? Why is this antagonist trying to stop the protagonist from accomplishing his/her goal?
Essay Topic 3
Maniac Magee wonders why Black people are described as being black. How would Maniac rather they be described and what does this say about how Maniac views the stereotype?
This section contains 1,282 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)