|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Maniac go to Grayson's room at the YMCA?
2. What doesn't Maniac do in his new home at the Beales?
3. Which of the following is not a reason why the bigger kids from all over come to the vacant lot to see Maniac?
4. What is Amanda carrying to school in her suitcase?
5. What does the big black man shout about on that hot August day in chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the big black man so upset that Maniac is playing in the fire hydrant water?
2. How does the Beale household change now that Maniac lives there?
3. How does Grayson's background shape the man he has become today?
4. How does Amanda treat Maniac differently than everyone else in Chapter 11 and previous chapters?
5. How does Maniac impress the star quarterback, Brian Denehy in Chapter 4?
6. What do Grayson and Maniac teach each other and how does it affect them?
7. What is the underlying reason that Maniac wants to leave town after the incident at the fire hydrant party?
8. What does the reader learn about Maniac's personality through the scene of Mars Bar and Maniac and the candy bar?
9. Why does Maniac say Amen when Grayson finishes reading his first book and what effect does it have on Grayson?
10. Maniac's life tale may be bigger than he actually is. What begins the exaggeration in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Maniac truly searching for for himself? How is this search a theme of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What is Maniac's inner conflict? What is the resolution of that conflict? Do you think the resolution of the conflict will be permanent? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
John McNab is a complex, dynamic character. How so? How does his characterization affect the themes of race in the novel?
This section contains 1,224 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)