|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. It is such a hot August day that the kids decide to play in what?
2. What does Mr. Cobble use the knot for?
3. Why does Amanda stay up late the night of her argument with Maniac?
4. What is Maniac concerned about in regard to the book he has gotten from Amanda?
5. Why do Maniac and Grayson trim a tree in the woods?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Beale household change now that Maniac lives there?
2. How is it that Maniac could have a meal at the Pickwell house and nobody questions his presence?
3. Why does Maniac paint 101 on the front door of the equipment room?
4. Why does Amanda think the Cobble Knot will solve Maniac's problems?
5. How might Amanda Beale's character be a good match for Maniac?
6. How does Maniac impress the star quarterback, Brian Denehy in Chapter 4?
7. Why do Maniac and Grayson decorate a tree in the woods?
8. How does Grayson handle the unconscious Maniac when he discovers him in the buffalo pen?
9. How does Maniac manage to infuriate McNab and does he do it on purpose?
10. What do Grayson and Maniac teach each other and how does it affect them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Jerry Spinelli give the character of Maniac such incredible athletic abilities even though he is not an athlete?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the dynamics of Maniac's relationship with Grayson. Why do the two become so close? What does Maniac see in Grayson that others don't see? What does Maniac see in Grayson that even Grayson does not see? How does Grayson treat Maniac? How does Maniac change after Grayson's death?
Essay Topic 3
Why doesn't Maniac choose to remain at the Pickwell house? Why does he not choose this loving family as his own when he knows that they would embrace him? What does this say about Maniac's past and his future?
This section contains 1,227 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)