|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Maniac hits the ball many times, what does McNab throw?
2. What do the high school kids do to Arnold Jones in Chapter 5?
3. What is the big question at the Pickwell dinner table on the night they eat spaghetti in Chapter 6?
4. Where does Maniac wind up after he runs from the baseball game?
5. What is the prize for untying the Cobble's Knot?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Grayson's background shape the man he has become today?
2. How do the Beale's show that they are not prejudiced people?
3. How does Grayson handle the unconscious Maniac when he discovers him in the buffalo pen?
4. Why won't Maniac go to school?
5. How does the story of Grayson't past affect Maniac?
6. Why do Maniac and Grayson decorate a tree in the woods?
7. What does the reader learn about Maniac's personality through the scene of Mars Bar and Maniac and the candy bar?
8. What is Grayson so curious about that he obviously has no understanding of during his meal with Maniac at the diner?
9. How might Amanda Beale's character be a good match for Maniac?
10. Chapter 14 ends with Mrs. Beale asking Maniac whether he is Maniac or not. He responds saying that he is Jeffrey. She states that in her house he will always be Jeffrey. What does this mean for the two of them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Maniac truly searching for for himself? How is this search a theme of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
John McNab is a complex, dynamic character. How so? How does his characterization affect the themes of race in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How is Amanda the staying power for Maniac? What makes her different from everyone else that he encounters? How does she ultimately change Maniac?
This section contains 1,203 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)