|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maniac paint on the outside of the band shell?
2. What does Maniac want from Amanda at the end of Chapter 13 that she won't give him?
3. What position did Grayson play?
4. Why does Carson scratch Maniac's skin?
5. What does Maniac eat at the diner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Grayson so curious about that he obviously has no understanding of during his meal with Maniac at the diner?
2. Why does Maniac walk right out of town after he realizes that the encyclopedia has been used for confetti?
3. What do Grayson and Maniac teach each other and how does it affect them?
4. Why do Maniac and Grayson decorate a tree in the woods?
5. How does Grayson handle the unconscious Maniac when he discovers him in the buffalo pen?
6. How does Maniac get his nickname?
7. How do the Beale's show that they are not prejudiced people?
8. How does the Beale household change now that Maniac lives there?
9. Right at the start of this novel, the reader knows that the main character is going to have a different life than the normal pre-teen. How so?
10. How is Maniac blind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Maniac able to fit into both the black community and the white community? Since he can do this, what does he see that others who cannot fit in don't see?
Essay Topic 2
How is Amanda the staying power for Maniac? What makes her different from everyone else that he encounters? How does she ultimately change Maniac?
Essay Topic 3
How is the pillbox the most frightening part of the whole novel? What does the pillbox symbolize? When John McNab states that others will build one once they see the McNabs, why does this make Maniac sick? Why should it make anyone sick?
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)