|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Maniac live while he stays in Two Mills?
2. What does Maniac do for Grayson after he reads his first book?
3. What did Grayson want to grow up to be?
4. How does Amanda react to Mars Bar concerning the ripped book?
5. Why does Grayson take Maniac to the equipment room?
Short Essay Questions
1. How might Amanda Beale's character be a good match for Maniac?
2. What does the reader learn about Maniac's personality through the scene of Mars Bar and Maniac and the candy bar?
3. Right at the start of this novel, the reader knows that the main character is going to have a different life than the normal pre-teen. How so?
4. Why do Maniac and Grayson decorate a tree in the woods?
5. Why does Maniac walk right out of town after he realizes that the encyclopedia has been used for confetti?
6. How does Maniac get his nickname?
7. How is the scene in the kitchen between Mrs. Beale and Maniac both ironic and symbolic?
8. How does Maniac impress the star quarterback, Brian Denehy in Chapter 4?
9. Chapter 14 ends with Mrs. Beale asking Maniac whether he is Maniac or not. He responds saying that he is Jeffrey. She states that in her house he will always be Jeffrey. What does this mean for the two of them?
10. Why won't Maniac go to school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John McNab is a complex, dynamic character. How so? How does his characterization affect the themes of race in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Whom are the major conflicts in the book between? Are they resolved? If so, how are these conflicts resolved?
Essay Topic 3
How and why does Maniac take on the raising of Russell and Piper? Why does he have influence over them? What does this say about Maniac's character?
This section contains 1,146 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)