|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Beale finally ask Maniac one day while he is licking icing?
2. Why does Grayson take Maniac to the equipment room?
3. How does Maniac respond when Grayson asks him about attending school?
4. Who is Brian Denehy?
5. Why doesn't Maniac go to Grayson's room at the YMCA?
Short Essay Questions
1. What stops McNab and the Cobras from chasing Maniac after the home run hit? What does this say about the boys?
2. How is Maniac blind?
3. How does Grayson's background shape the man he has become today?
4. How is the scene in the kitchen between Mrs. Beale and Maniac both ironic and symbolic?
5. How does Maniac impress the star quarterback, Brian Denehy in Chapter 4?
6. How is it that Maniac could have a meal at the Pickwell house and nobody questions his presence?
7. Why do Maniac and Grayson decorate a tree in the woods?
8. How does Amanda treat Maniac differently than everyone else in Chapter 11 and previous chapters?
9. How does Maniac manage to infuriate McNab and does he do it on purpose?
10. How does Grayson handle the unconscious Maniac when he discovers him in the buffalo pen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the pillbox the most frightening part of the whole novel? What does the pillbox symbolize? When John McNab states that others will build one once they see the McNabs, why does this make Maniac sick? Why should it make anyone sick?
Essay Topic 2
Chapter 14 ends with this quote, "Inside a house a kid gets one name, but on the other side of the door, it's whatever the rest of the world wants to call him." How and why does Maniac wear one "mask" inside and one outside? How does this apply to all of mankind?
Essay Topic 3
How does the relationship between Maniac and Mars Bar grow? What do each of the boys give to the other that each is lacking? How does this relationship epitomize the good in human nature?
This section contains 1,386 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)