|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maniac say trash words have in common with church words?
2. Who is Brian Denehy?
3. What does Maniac do for fifteen minutes before completing the knot?
4. What does Maniac ask of God on Thanksgiving Day?
5. What does Mrs. Beale finally ask Maniac one day while he is licking icing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 14 ends with Mrs. Beale asking Maniac whether he is Maniac or not. He responds saying that he is Jeffrey. She states that in her house he will always be Jeffrey. What does this mean for the two of them?
2. Why does Maniac walk right out of town after he realizes that the encyclopedia has been used for confetti?
3. Why does Maniac paint 101 on the front door of the equipment room?
4. How does Grayson handle the unconscious Maniac when he discovers him in the buffalo pen?
5. Maniac's life tale may be bigger than he actually is. What begins the exaggeration in Chapter 2?
6. Why won't Maniac go to school?
7. How does Maniac help others and what are his motives in doing so?
8. How is it that Maniac could have a meal at the Pickwell house and nobody questions his presence?
9. How does Amanda treat Maniac differently than everyone else in Chapter 11 and previous chapters?
10. Why is the big black man so upset that Maniac is playing in the fire hydrant water?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the protagonist of the story. Why is this character the protagonist? What is the character trying to accomplish? Who is the antagonist? Why is this antagonist trying to stop the protagonist from accomplishing his/her goal?
Essay Topic 2
Why doesn't Maniac choose to remain at the Pickwell house? Why does he not choose this loving family as his own when he knows that they would embrace him? What does this say about Maniac's past and his future?
Essay Topic 3
What are the flashbacks in the novel? What is the author's purpose in using the flashbacks?
This section contains 1,299 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)