|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who saves Arnold Jones in Chapter 5?
2. What does Maniac do for Grayson after he reads his first book?
3. What is being called over and over again to Maniac when the kids are playing on that hot August day in chapter 17?
4. How long does Maniac stay with his aunt and uncle?
5. It is such a hot August day that the kids decide to play in what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Beale's show that they are not prejudiced people?
2. Why does Maniac walk right out of town after he realizes that the encyclopedia has been used for confetti?
3. How does Maniac manage to infuriate McNab and does he do it on purpose?
4. How does Grayson's background shape the man he has become today?
5. Why does Maniac paint 101 on the front door of the equipment room?
6. How does Maniac impress the star quarterback, Brian Denehy in Chapter 4?
7. How is the scene in the kitchen between Mrs. Beale and Maniac both ironic and symbolic?
8. How does the Beale household change now that Maniac lives there?
9. Right at the start of this novel, the reader knows that the main character is going to have a different life than the normal pre-teen. How so?
10. Why does Amanda think the Cobble Knot will solve Maniac's problems?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Maniac truly searching for for himself? How is this search a theme of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What is Maniac's inner conflict? What is the resolution of that conflict? Do you think the resolution of the conflict will be permanent? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
John McNab is a complex, dynamic character. How so? How does his characterization affect the themes of race in the novel?
This section contains 1,167 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)