|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grayson teach Maniac after their many weeks together?
2. What happens to Amanda for the first and only time in Chapter 3?
3. Where does Maniac live while he stays in Two Mills?
4. What does Maniac say to the passersby when he first runs to Two Mills?
5. What is Maniac concerned about in regard to the book he has gotten from Amanda?
Short Essay Questions
1. Maniac's life tale may be bigger than he actually is. What begins the exaggeration in Chapter 2?
2. How does Maniac manage to infuriate McNab and does he do it on purpose?
3. Right at the start of this novel, the reader knows that the main character is going to have a different life than the normal pre-teen. How so?
4. How does Maniac get his nickname?
5. How does the story of Grayson't past affect Maniac?
6. How might Amanda Beale's character be a good match for Maniac?
7. Why does Maniac paint 101 on the front door of the equipment room?
8. The fact that Maniac takes a nap during the untying of the famous knot says a lot about the way he perceives the event. What does it say?
9. How do the Beale's show that they are not prejudiced people?
10. What stops McNab and the Cobras from chasing Maniac after the home run hit? What does this say about the boys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the pillbox the most frightening part of the whole novel? What does the pillbox symbolize? When John McNab states that others will build one once they see the McNabs, why does this make Maniac sick? Why should it make anyone sick?
Essay Topic 2
Whom are the major conflicts in the book between? Are they resolved? If so, how are these conflicts resolved?
Essay Topic 3
How is Amanda the staying power for Maniac? What makes her different from everyone else that he encounters? How does she ultimately change Maniac?
This section contains 1,219 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)