|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first book Grayson reads cover to cover?
2. What does McNab decide to do to Maniac in retaliation for the baseball incident?
3. How does Amanda react to Mars Bar concerning the ripped book?
4. What does Maniac do for Grayson after he reads his first book?
5. What is Maniac running on that amazes the Pickwell children?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 14 ends with Mrs. Beale asking Maniac whether he is Maniac or not. He responds saying that he is Jeffrey. She states that in her house he will always be Jeffrey. What does this mean for the two of them?
2. What is the underlying reason that Maniac wants to leave town after the incident at the fire hydrant party?
3. Why is the big black man so upset that Maniac is playing in the fire hydrant water?
4. Why does Maniac knowingly let the McNab boys give him crazy feats to perform?
5. How does Grayson's background shape the man he has become today?
6. Why do Maniac and Grayson decorate a tree in the woods?
7. How is the scene in the kitchen between Mrs. Beale and Maniac both ironic and symbolic?
8. What comparison does Maniac make between the Pickwells and the Beales in chapter 40?
9. How do the McNabs show their true prejudice during Piper's birthday party?
10. In what way does Maniac come to know everyone in town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Maniac's inner conflict? What is the resolution of that conflict? Do you think the resolution of the conflict will be permanent? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
John McNab is a complex, dynamic character. How so? How does his characterization affect the themes of race in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How is the pillbox the most frightening part of the whole novel? What does the pillbox symbolize? When John McNab states that others will build one once they see the McNabs, why does this make Maniac sick? Why should it make anyone sick?
This section contains 1,734 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)