|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Carson scratch Maniac's skin?
2. What happened to Grayson at the game against the Toledo Mud Hens?
3. Who does Grayson say took Maniac's buffalo rag clothes away?
4. After leaving the East End, where does Maniac stay?
5. In what way does Maniac get his schooling?
Short Essay Questions
1. What stops McNab and the Cobras from chasing Maniac after the home run hit? What does this say about the boys?
2. How does Amanda treat Maniac differently than everyone else in Chapter 11 and previous chapters?
3. Why is the big black man so upset that Maniac is playing in the fire hydrant water?
4. What do Grayson and Maniac teach each other and how does it affect them?
5. How does the story of Grayson't past affect Maniac?
6. How does Maniac get his nickname?
7. Why does Maniac walk right out of town after he realizes that the encyclopedia has been used for confetti?
8. How does Maniac manage to infuriate McNab and does he do it on purpose?
9. Why does Amanda think the Cobble Knot will solve Maniac's problems?
10. How does Grayson handle the unconscious Maniac when he discovers him in the buffalo pen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Jerry Spinelli give the character of Maniac such incredible athletic abilities even though he is not an athlete?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Maniac able to fit into both the black community and the white community? Since he can do this, what does he see that others who cannot fit in don't see?
Essay Topic 3
Why doesn't Maniac choose to remain at the Pickwell house? Why does he not choose this loving family as his own when he knows that they would embrace him? What does this say about Maniac's past and his future?
This section contains 1,350 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)