|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the big question at the Pickwell dinner table on the night they eat spaghetti in Chapter 6?
2. What is the first book Grayson reads cover to cover?
3. What happens when Maniac meets "Hands" Down?
4. What does Mrs. Beale finally ask Maniac one day while he is licking icing?
5. What does Mars Bar Thompson take from Maniac?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the underlying reason that Maniac wants to leave town after the incident at the fire hydrant party?
2. How does the Beale household change now that Maniac lives there?
3. What is Grayson so curious about that he obviously has no understanding of during his meal with Maniac at the diner?
4. How do the Beale's show that they are not prejudiced people?
5. In January, after Grayson's death, where does Maniac live and how does he take care of himself?
6. How is Maniac blind?
7. What is family life like at the McNabs?
8. What happens to Russell and why can't Maniac save him?
9. Maniac's life tale may be bigger than he actually is. What begins the exaggeration in Chapter 2?
10. How are the two young boys that Maniac finds in the park cabin connected to Maniac?
Essay Topic 1
Why does Jerry Spinelli give the character of Maniac such incredible athletic abilities even though he is not an athlete?
Essay Topic 2
The nickname of the Maniac helps turn him into a legend. How so? Use specific examples from the novel. How is this legendary status a drawback for Maniac?
Essay Topic 3
Why doesn't Maniac choose to remain at the Pickwell house? Why does he not choose this loving family as his own when he knows that they would embrace him? What does this say about Maniac's past and his future?
This section contains 1,645 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)