|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Grayson at the game against the Toledo Mud Hens?
2. How did the gas station attendant trick Grayson when he was a rookie?
3. Where does Maniac wind up after he runs from the baseball game?
4. What kind of story does Amanda give to Maniac?
5. What is Maniac concerned about in regard to the book he has gotten from Amanda?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maniac impress the star quarterback, Brian Denehy in Chapter 4?
2. How does Maniac manage to infuriate McNab and does he do it on purpose?
3. Why is the big black man so upset that Maniac is playing in the fire hydrant water?
4. What do Grayson and Maniac teach each other and how does it affect them?
5. Why does Amanda think the Cobble Knot will solve Maniac's problems?
6. How is it that Maniac could have a meal at the Pickwell house and nobody questions his presence?
7. Why do Maniac and Grayson decorate a tree in the woods?
8. Why does Maniac paint 101 on the front door of the equipment room?
9. How does Maniac help others and what are his motives in doing so?
10. What is the underlying reason that Maniac wants to leave town after the incident at the fire hydrant party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Maniac Magee wonders why Black people are described as being black. How would Maniac rather they be described and what does this say about how Maniac views the stereotype?
Essay Topic 2
What is the theme of the book concerning race? How is the theme expressed? What do the characters learn about race by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How and why does Maniac take on the raising of Russell and Piper? Why does he have influence over them? What does this say about Maniac's character?
This section contains 1,249 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)