|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Grayson take Maniac to the equipment room?
2. Why does Carson scratch Maniac's skin?
3. What is the confetti made out of that the townspeople throw for Maniac's celebration of untying the knot?
4. It is such a hot August day that the kids decide to play in what?
5. What does Mars Bar Thompson take from Maniac?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Maniac blind?
2. How do the Beale's show that they are not prejudiced people?
3. Chapter 14 ends with Mrs. Beale asking Maniac whether he is Maniac or not. He responds saying that he is Jeffrey. She states that in her house he will always be Jeffrey. What does this mean for the two of them?
4. Maniac's life tale may be bigger than he actually is. What begins the exaggeration in Chapter 2?
5. How does Maniac manage to infuriate McNab and does he do it on purpose?
6. How is the scene in the kitchen between Mrs. Beale and Maniac both ironic and symbolic?
7. Why does Maniac say Amen when Grayson finishes reading his first book and what effect does it have on Grayson?
8. Right at the start of this novel, the reader knows that the main character is going to have a different life than the normal pre-teen. How so?
9. How is it that Maniac could have a meal at the Pickwell house and nobody questions his presence?
10. Why do Maniac and Grayson decorate a tree in the woods?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the protagonist of the story. Why is this character the protagonist? What is the character trying to accomplish? Who is the antagonist? Why is this antagonist trying to stop the protagonist from accomplishing his/her goal?
Essay Topic 2
How is the pillbox the most frightening part of the whole novel? What does the pillbox symbolize? When John McNab states that others will build one once they see the McNabs, why does this make Maniac sick? Why should it make anyone sick?
Essay Topic 3
How is Amanda the staying power for Maniac? What makes her different from everyone else that he encounters? How does she ultimately change Maniac?
This section contains 1,255 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)