|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maniac paint on the outside of the band shell?
2. What can't Maniac see about what is going on around him in chapter 16?
3. How does Maniac respond when Grayson asks him about attending school?
4. What does Maniac eat at the diner?
5. Who saves Arnold Jones in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. The fact that Maniac takes a nap during the untying of the famous knot says a lot about the way he perceives the event. What does it say?
2. How do the Beale's show that they are not prejudiced people?
3. How does the story of Grayson't past affect Maniac?
4. Maniac's life tale may be bigger than he actually is. What begins the exaggeration in Chapter 2?
5. How is the scene in the kitchen between Mrs. Beale and Maniac both ironic and symbolic?
6. How is it that Maniac could have a meal at the Pickwell house and nobody questions his presence?
7. Right at the start of this novel, the reader knows that the main character is going to have a different life than the normal pre-teen. How so?
8. What is Grayson so curious about that he obviously has no understanding of during his meal with Maniac at the diner?
9. Why does Maniac say Amen when Grayson finishes reading his first book and what effect does it have on Grayson?
10. What stops McNab and the Cobras from chasing Maniac after the home run hit? What does this say about the boys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John McNab is a complex, dynamic character. How so? How does his characterization affect the themes of race in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Maniac Magee wonders why Black people are described as being black. How would Maniac rather they be described and what does this say about how Maniac views the stereotype?
Essay Topic 3
What does Hector Street symbolize? How does the street affect the lives of those in both the East End and the West End?
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)