|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position did Grayson play?
2. What does the boy give to Maniac while he is untying the knot?
3. What do the high school kids do to Arnold Jones in Chapter 5?
4. Who is Brian Denehy?
5. What does Maniac want from Amanda at the end of Chapter 13 that she won't give him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why won't Maniac go to school?
2. What is Grayson so curious about that he obviously has no understanding of during his meal with Maniac at the diner?
3. How does Maniac manage to infuriate McNab and does he do it on purpose?
4. Why do Maniac and Grayson decorate a tree in the woods?
5. How does Maniac get his nickname?
6. How is Maniac blind?
7. How does the story of Grayson't past affect Maniac?
8. How does Maniac help others and what are his motives in doing so?
9. How does Grayson's background shape the man he has become today?
10. Maniac's life tale may be bigger than he actually is. What begins the exaggeration in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Hector Street symbolize? How does the street affect the lives of those in both the East End and the West End?
Essay Topic 2
How is the pillbox the most frightening part of the whole novel? What does the pillbox symbolize? When John McNab states that others will build one once they see the McNabs, why does this make Maniac sick? Why should it make anyone sick?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the dynamics of Maniac's relationship with Grayson. Why do the two become so close? What does Maniac see in Grayson that others don't see? What does Maniac see in Grayson that even Grayson does not see? How does Grayson treat Maniac? How does Maniac change after Grayson's death?
This section contains 1,196 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)