|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes the red bumps to surface on Maniac's body?
2. Where does Maniac wind up after he runs from the baseball game?
3. Why do Maniac and Grayson trim a tree in the woods?
4. What happened to Grayson at the game against the Toledo Mud Hens?
5. By Christmas, where has Grayson moved?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maniac impress the star quarterback, Brian Denehy in Chapter 4?
2. How does Maniac help others and what are his motives in doing so?
3. How does Grayson's background shape the man he has become today?
4. How is Maniac blind?
5. How does Amanda treat Maniac differently than everyone else in Chapter 11 and previous chapters?
6. How is the scene in the kitchen between Mrs. Beale and Maniac both ironic and symbolic?
7. Why does Amanda think the Cobble Knot will solve Maniac's problems?
8. Why do Maniac and Grayson decorate a tree in the woods?
9. Why is the big black man so upset that Maniac is playing in the fire hydrant water?
10. What stops McNab and the Cobras from chasing Maniac after the home run hit? What does this say about the boys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Jerry Spinelli give the character of Maniac such incredible athletic abilities even though he is not an athlete?
Essay Topic 2
What are the flashbacks in the novel? What is the author's purpose in using the flashbacks?
Essay Topic 3
How is Amanda the staying power for Maniac? What makes her different from everyone else that he encounters? How does she ultimately change Maniac?
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)