|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Beale get mad at Maniac the day she is making meatloaf?
2. Why are Hester, Lester, and Amanda keeping Maniac from going home early one morning in Chapter 17?
3. Why does Grayson take Maniac to the equipment room?
4. What do Maniac and Grayson do on Thanksgiving Day in the cold?
5. What do the high school kids do to Arnold Jones in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Maniac and Grayson decorate a tree in the woods?
2. How is it that Maniac could have a meal at the Pickwell house and nobody questions his presence?
3. Why does Amanda think the Cobble Knot will solve Maniac's problems?
4. How does Grayson handle the unconscious Maniac when he discovers him in the buffalo pen?
5. Why does Maniac paint 101 on the front door of the equipment room?
6. How does Maniac manage to infuriate McNab and does he do it on purpose?
7. Why does Maniac say Amen when Grayson finishes reading his first book and what effect does it have on Grayson?
8. Right at the start of this novel, the reader knows that the main character is going to have a different life than the normal pre-teen. How so?
9. How does Grayson's background shape the man he has become today?
10. What stops McNab and the Cobras from chasing Maniac after the home run hit? What does this say about the boys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Maniac's inner conflict? What is the resolution of that conflict? Do you think the resolution of the conflict will be permanent? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Maniac Magee wonders why Black people are described as being black. How would Maniac rather they be described and what does this say about how Maniac views the stereotype?
Essay Topic 3
Whom are the major conflicts in the book between? Are they resolved? If so, how are these conflicts resolved?
This section contains 1,342 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)