|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does "Hands" Down do in regard to Maniac that makes the older kids upset?
2. With what does Mars Bar Thompson challenge Maniac?
3. What strategy does Grayson use to help him learn to read?
4. Why does Mr. Beale make a U-turn when taking Maniac home?
5. Where does Maniac live while he stays in Two Mills?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Maniac walk right out of town after he realizes that the encyclopedia has been used for confetti?
2. What does the reader learn about Maniac's personality through the scene of Mars Bar and Maniac and the candy bar?
3. Why does Maniac paint 101 on the front door of the equipment room?
4. Chapter 14 ends with Mrs. Beale asking Maniac whether he is Maniac or not. He responds saying that he is Jeffrey. She states that in her house he will always be Jeffrey. What does this mean for the two of them?
5. How does Maniac manage to infuriate McNab and does he do it on purpose?
6. How is the scene in the kitchen between Mrs. Beale and Maniac both ironic and symbolic?
7. How does Maniac get his nickname?
8. Why do Maniac and Grayson decorate a tree in the woods?
9. How does Grayson's background shape the man he has become today?
10. How does the Beale household change now that Maniac lives there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the dynamics of Maniac's relationship with Grayson. Why do the two become so close? What does Maniac see in Grayson that others don't see? What does Maniac see in Grayson that even Grayson does not see? How does Grayson treat Maniac? How does Maniac change after Grayson's death?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the protagonist of the story. Why is this character the protagonist? What is the character trying to accomplish? Who is the antagonist? Why is this antagonist trying to stop the protagonist from accomplishing his/her goal?
Essay Topic 3
What is Maniac's inner conflict? What is the resolution of that conflict? Do you think the resolution of the conflict will be permanent? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,461 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)