|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mars Bar hate Maniac at the end of Chapter 38?
(a) Maniac humiliates him.
(b) Nobody is there to see Mars Bar win.
(c) Maniac refuses to participate.
(d) Maniac wins.
2. What does Maniac do as a feat with the freight train?
(a) Hop on it.
(b) Get a ride without paying.
(c) Stand in front of it for thirty seconds.
(d) Beat it to the next stop on one rail.
3. Why doesn't Maniac leave the McNab boys when they drive him crazy?
(a) He is afraid that they will follow him.
(b) He is afraid that they will rot completely without him.
(c) He is afraid that they will cry.
(d) He is afraid that they will run away again.
4. How does Mars Bar know that Maniac was not afraid at the trolley incident?
(a) Maniac was not afraid of Finsterwald.
(b) Anyone who would get up in his face couldn't be afraid.
(c) Maniac was not afraid of the rats at the dump.
(d) Maniac was not afraid of the third rail.
5. What does Maniac do after he sees Russell in trouble?
(a) He walks away.
(b) He runs for help.
(c) He saves him.
(d) He asks Mars Bar to save him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the most perilous feat that the McNab boys ask Maniac to perform?
2. What story does Maniac tell to help John with his brothers?
3. When does John believe the incident with the East Enders will happen?
4. What does the trolley remind Maniac of?
5. How do Maniac and Mars react to each other when they first begin running together?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is family life like at the McNabs?
2. Why does Maniac work so hard to get Russell and Piper to go to school?
3. Why does Maniac take Mars Bar to the Pickwells?
4. How does Amanda get her way in the final chapter of the novel?
5. How does Mars Bar's rescue of Russell help change the prejudices of the town?
6. How are the two young boys that Maniac finds in the park cabin connected to Maniac?
7. Why does Maniac bring Mars Bar to Piper's birthday party?
8. In January, after Grayson's death, where does Maniac live and how does he take care of himself?
9. Who saves Maniac from freezing to death and how do they go about it?
10. What comparison does Maniac make between the Pickwells and the Beales in chapter 40?
This section contains 1,185 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)