|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Maniac go to Grayson's room at the YMCA?
(a) He doesn't want anyone to see and recognize him.
(b) He is afraid of the YMCA.
(c) He doesn't want to bring trouble to the old man.
(d) He is afraid of Grayson.
2. What strategy does Grayson use to help him learn to read?
(a) He has Maniac use baseball terms.
(b) He memorizes a few consonants at a time.
(c) He only works with the vowels at first.
(d) He equates reading to baseball.
3. What does Mars Bar Thompson take from Maniac?
(a) Amanda's book.
(b) His hat.
(c) A candy bar.
(d) A football.
4. Who is the first person to speak with Maniac in Two Mills?
(a) Jeffrey Beale.
(b) Arnold Jones.
(c) Amanda Beale.
(d) Brian Denehy.
5. Why does Maniac say Amen after Grayson finishes reading his first book?
(a) Maniac prays for Grayson to do better next time.
(b) Maniac is glad it is over.
(c) Maniac had prayed Grayson would succeed.
(d) Maniac says Amen is for when someone does something you really like.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maniac paint on the outside of the band shell?
2. Why do Maniac and Grayson trim a tree in the woods?
3. By Christmas, where has Grayson moved?
4. What happens when Maniac meets "Hands" Down?
5. What does Maniac do for Grayson after he reads his first book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Right at the start of this novel, the reader knows that the main character is going to have a different life than the normal pre-teen. How so?
2. How might Amanda Beale's character be a good match for Maniac?
3. How does Maniac get his nickname?
4. How does Maniac impress the star quarterback, Brian Denehy in Chapter 4?
5. How is Maniac blind?
6. What stops McNab and the Cobras from chasing Maniac after the home run hit? What does this say about the boys?
7. How does the Beale household change now that Maniac lives there?
8. Chapter 14 ends with Mrs. Beale asking Maniac whether he is Maniac or not. He responds saying that he is Jeffrey. She states that in her house he will always be Jeffrey. What does this mean for the two of them?
9. Why does Maniac say Amen when Grayson finishes reading his first book and what effect does it have on Grayson?
10. What does the reader learn about Maniac's personality through the scene of Mars Bar and Maniac and the candy bar?
This section contains 1,197 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)