|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Maniac and Grayson do right after Thanksgiving dinner?
(a) Play baseball.
(c) Play cards.
(d) Dance the polka.
2. What does Maniac do for fifteen minutes before completing the knot?
(a) He takes a nap.
(b) He drinks an orange soda.
(c) He reads a book.
(d) He prays.
3. What changes in the Beale household now that Maniac is there?
(a) Amanda takes baths again with the children.
(b) The children start to tie their own shoes.
(c) The yellow bucket is used more.
(d) The children are better behaved.
4. What happens to Maniac Magee's parents?
(a) They die in a train crash.
(b) They die in a car crash.
(c) They die in a plane crash.
(d) They die in a trolley crash.
5. What happens to Amanda for the first and only time in Chapter 3?
(a) She lends one of her books.
(b) She falls in love.
(c) She trips and falls.
(d) She is late to school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the big question at the Pickwell dinner table on the night they eat spaghetti in Chapter 6?
2. What is the confetti made out of that the townspeople throw for Maniac's celebration of untying the knot?
3. Why does Mrs. Beale get mad at Maniac the day she is making meatloaf?
4. How does Maniac respond when Grayson asks him about attending school?
5. In what way does Maniac get his schooling?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Maniac walk right out of town after he realizes that the encyclopedia has been used for confetti?
2. How is it that Maniac could have a meal at the Pickwell house and nobody questions his presence?
3. Maniac's life tale may be bigger than he actually is. What begins the exaggeration in Chapter 2?
4. Why does Maniac say Amen when Grayson finishes reading his first book and what effect does it have on Grayson?
5. How is the scene in the kitchen between Mrs. Beale and Maniac both ironic and symbolic?
6. How is Maniac blind?
7. How does Maniac impress the star quarterback, Brian Denehy in Chapter 4?
8. How does the Beale household change now that Maniac lives there?
9. How does Grayson handle the unconscious Maniac when he discovers him in the buffalo pen?
10. Right at the start of this novel, the reader knows that the main character is going to have a different life than the normal pre-teen. How so?
This section contains 1,236 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)