|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't McNab want to pitch to Maniac?
(a) He knows Maniac can hit the ball.
(b) Maniac is not on the Green Sox.
(c) Maniac's shoes are flapping.
(d) He is a runt who is not on the league.
2. What is Amanda carrying to school in her suitcase?
(b) A project.
(c) Crayons and drawing paper.
(d) A puppy.
3. What is the first book Grayson reads cover to cover?
(a) "The Little Engine That Could".
(b) "The Story of Babar".
(c) "Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel".
(d) "The First Pitch".
4. What does Mars Bar Thompson take from Maniac?
(a) His hat.
(b) A football.
(c) A candy bar.
(d) Amanda's book.
5. What is Grayson curious about that he asks Maniac while Maniac eats at the diner?
(a) How Maniac untied the Cobble's Knot.
(b) How Maniac came to live with the buffalo.
(c) How Maniac got his name.
(d) How black people live.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Cobble use the knot for?
2. What happens when Maniac meets "Hands" Down?
3. Why does Grayson not know how to read?
4. What does Maniac say trash words have in common with church words?
5. Who is the first person to speak with Maniac in Two Mills?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maniac get his nickname?
2. How does the Beale household change now that Maniac lives there?
3. How does Maniac help others and what are his motives in doing so?
4. Right at the start of this novel, the reader knows that the main character is going to have a different life than the normal pre-teen. How so?
5. How does Maniac manage to infuriate McNab and does he do it on purpose?
6. How does Maniac impress the star quarterback, Brian Denehy in Chapter 4?
7. What does the reader learn about Maniac's personality through the scene of Mars Bar and Maniac and the candy bar?
8. How might Amanda Beale's character be a good match for Maniac?
9. Chapter 14 ends with Mrs. Beale asking Maniac whether he is Maniac or not. He responds saying that he is Jeffrey. She states that in her house he will always be Jeffrey. What does this mean for the two of them?
10. Maniac's life tale may be bigger than he actually is. What begins the exaggeration in Chapter 2?
This section contains 1,229 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)