|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the big question at the Pickwell dinner table on the night they eat spaghetti in Chapter 6?
(a) Who was the kid who helped Arnold Jones.
(b) Why are we eating spaghetti again?
(c) Who's the extra kid at the dinner table?
(d) Who was the kid on the football field?
2. Why does Maniac say Amen after Grayson finishes reading his first book?
(a) Maniac had prayed Grayson would succeed.
(b) Maniac prays for Grayson to do better next time.
(c) Maniac is glad it is over.
(d) Maniac says Amen is for when someone does something you really like.
3. What is Amanda carrying to school in her suitcase?
(a) A puppy.
(c) A project.
(d) Crayons and drawing paper.
4. What does the big black man shout about on that hot August day in chapter 17?
(a) That white people never have enough.
(b) That white people waste everything.
(c) That white people are ruining his neighborhood.
(d) That white people shouldn't swim in his water.
5. What happens with the townspeople as Maniac walks up the middle of the street after the incident with the old man?
(a) Whites and blacks walk together.
(b) They disperse.
(c) They fight.
(d) The whites walk up one side, the blacks up the other.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maniac use only one hand to handle the football?
2. What does McNab decide to do to Maniac in retaliation for the baseball incident?
3. What does Maniac say to the passersby when he first runs to Two Mills?
4. What happened to Grayson at the game against the Toledo Mud Hens?
5. What does Maniac want from Amanda at the end of Chapter 13 that she won't give him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Beale's show that they are not prejudiced people?
2. Maniac's life tale may be bigger than he actually is. What begins the exaggeration in Chapter 2?
3. Why is the big black man so upset that Maniac is playing in the fire hydrant water?
4. Why does Maniac paint 101 on the front door of the equipment room?
5. How does Maniac get his nickname?
6. How does Grayson's background shape the man he has become today?
7. How is the scene in the kitchen between Mrs. Beale and Maniac both ironic and symbolic?
8. The fact that Maniac takes a nap during the untying of the famous knot says a lot about the way he perceives the event. What does it say?
9. Why does Amanda think the Cobble Knot will solve Maniac's problems?
10. Why does Maniac walk right out of town after he realizes that the encyclopedia has been used for confetti?
This section contains 1,338 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)