|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Grayson and Maniac buy at Woolworths?
(a) An alphabet poster.
(b) A blackboard and chalk.
(c) Picture books.
(d) A baseball glove.
2. What does Mars Bar Thompson take from Maniac?
(a) His hat.
(b) A candy bar.
(c) A football.
(d) Amanda's book.
3. Why does Maniac get out of bed to go to the front door of the Beale's house?
(a) To check to see if Mars Bar had followed him.
(b) To let the dog in.
(c) To memorize the numbers of his new address.
(d) To make sure he is in the right house.
4. Who is Brian Denehy?
(a) The star quarterback.
(b) The football coach.
(c) The first person Maniac meets in Two Mills.
(d) A soccer player.
5. What causes the red bumps to surface on Maniac's body?
(c) Chicken Pox.
(d) Poison Ivy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maniac wonder about Black people?
2. What does Grayson teach Maniac after their many weeks together?
3. How did the gas station attendant trick Grayson when he was a rookie?
4. Why does Maniac use only one hand to handle the football?
5. What is being called over and over again to Maniac when the kids are playing on that hot August day in chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Grayson so curious about that he obviously has no understanding of during his meal with Maniac at the diner?
2. How does Amanda treat Maniac differently than everyone else in Chapter 11 and previous chapters?
3. Chapter 14 ends with Mrs. Beale asking Maniac whether he is Maniac or not. He responds saying that he is Jeffrey. She states that in her house he will always be Jeffrey. What does this mean for the two of them?
4. How does Maniac get his nickname?
5. Why does Maniac say Amen when Grayson finishes reading his first book and what effect does it have on Grayson?
6. The fact that Maniac takes a nap during the untying of the famous knot says a lot about the way he perceives the event. What does it say?
7. How does Grayson's background shape the man he has become today?
8. Right at the start of this novel, the reader knows that the main character is going to have a different life than the normal pre-teen. How so?
9. How does the Beale household change now that Maniac lives there?
10. How might Amanda Beale's character be a good match for Maniac?
This section contains 1,277 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)