|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Amanda for the first and only time in Chapter 3?
(a) She is late to school.
(b) She falls in love.
(c) She lends one of her books.
(d) She trips and falls.
2. What does Maniac do for fifteen minutes before completing the knot?
(a) He reads a book.
(b) He prays.
(c) He drinks an orange soda.
(d) He takes a nap.
3. What does Maniac say to the passersby when he first runs to Two Mills?
(a) "Who are you?"
(b) "What day is it?"
(c) "Where am I?"
4. What does Maniac do to make McNab pitch the ball to him?
(a) He insults McNab.
(b) He takes a hat off another player.
(c) He challenges McNab.
(d) He stands at the bag and waits.
5. What does John McNab do to the Green Sox team at the Little League game?
(a) He hits them with his fastball.
(b) He strikes out sixteen hitters.
(c) He insults all of them with bad words.
(d) He throws out everyone at first base.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes the red bumps to surface on Maniac's body?
2. What does Mr. Cobble use the knot for?
3. Why does Mr. Beale make a U-turn when taking Maniac home?
4. How long does it take Maniac to travel two hundred miles to Two Mills?
5. Why does Mrs. Beale get mad at Maniac the day she is making meatloaf?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Amanda think the Cobble Knot will solve Maniac's problems?
2. Maniac's life tale may be bigger than he actually is. What begins the exaggeration in Chapter 2?
3. How does Maniac manage to infuriate McNab and does he do it on purpose?
4. How does Grayson's background shape the man he has become today?
5. How might Amanda Beale's character be a good match for Maniac?
6. What is Grayson so curious about that he obviously has no understanding of during his meal with Maniac at the diner?
7. How is the scene in the kitchen between Mrs. Beale and Maniac both ironic and symbolic?
8. Right at the start of this novel, the reader knows that the main character is going to have a different life than the normal pre-teen. How so?
9. Why do Maniac and Grayson decorate a tree in the woods?
10. How does Maniac help others and what are his motives in doing so?
This section contains 1,260 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)