|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Maniac live while he stays in Two Mills?
(a) In the park.
(b) In the deer shed at the zoo.
(c) In a shed at the school.
(d) In a garage behind the restaurant.
2. Who does Grayson say took Maniac's buffalo rag clothes away?
(a) The street cleaners.
(b) The US Army.
(c) The Sanitation Department.
(d) The buffalo.
3. What does McNab decide to do to Maniac in retaliation for the baseball incident?
(a) Strike him out next time.
(b) Beat him up.
(c) Become his friend.
(d) Tell him to leave town.
4. What is the big question at the Pickwell dinner table on the night they eat spaghetti in Chapter 6?
(a) Who was the kid who helped Arnold Jones.
(b) Why are we eating spaghetti again?
(c) Who's the extra kid at the dinner table?
(d) Who was the kid on the football field?
5. What happens at the school musical?
(a) Maniac screams for a long time.
(b) Manaic sings beautifully.
(c) Maniac sings badly.
(d) Aunt Dot asks Uncle Dan for a divorce.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take Maniac to untie the Cobble's Knot?
2. What does Mars Bar Thompson take from Maniac?
3. What can't Maniac see about what is going on around him in chapter 16?
4. What does Maniac wonder about Black people?
5. What does Maniac do to make McNab pitch the ball to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Maniac's life tale may be bigger than he actually is. What begins the exaggeration in Chapter 2?
2. What is the underlying reason that Maniac wants to leave town after the incident at the fire hydrant party?
3. The fact that Maniac takes a nap during the untying of the famous knot says a lot about the way he perceives the event. What does it say?
4. How does Maniac get his nickname?
5. What is Grayson so curious about that he obviously has no understanding of during his meal with Maniac at the diner?
6. Why won't Maniac go to school?
7. How might Amanda Beale's character be a good match for Maniac?
8. What stops McNab and the Cobras from chasing Maniac after the home run hit? What does this say about the boys?
9. Right at the start of this novel, the reader knows that the main character is going to have a different life than the normal pre-teen. How so?
10. Chapter 14 ends with Mrs. Beale asking Maniac whether he is Maniac or not. He responds saying that he is Jeffrey. She states that in her house he will always be Jeffrey. What does this mean for the two of them?
This section contains 1,184 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)