|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the high school kids do to Arnold Jones in Chapter 5?
(a) They force him onto Finsterwalds' porch.
(b) They throw him in a pond.
(c) They shove him in a locker.
(d) They toss him over Finsterwald's fence.
2. What do Grayson and Maniac buy at Woolworths?
(a) A blackboard and chalk.
(b) Picture books.
(c) A baseball glove.
(d) An alphabet poster.
3. Why do the people of Two Mills give Jeffrey his nickname?
(a) They say it is the name of the book that he was reading.
(b) After all of Jeffrey's stunts, they figure he is a maniac.
(c) Jeffrey tells them his nickname is Maniac.
(d) They think he is odd, so they give him an odd name.
4. What strategy does Grayson use to help him learn to read?
(a) He memorizes a few consonants at a time.
(b) He only works with the vowels at first.
(c) He equates reading to baseball.
(d) He has Maniac use baseball terms.
5. How long does it take Maniac to untie the Cobble's Knot?
(a) Two days.
(b) Fifteen minutes.
(c) All day.
(d) Four hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position did Grayson play?
2. What is Maniac concerned about in regard to the book he has gotten from Amanda?
3. How long does Maniac stay with his aunt and uncle?
4. In what way does Maniac get his schooling?
5. Who is Brian Denehy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Maniac and Grayson decorate a tree in the woods?
2. Chapter 14 ends with Mrs. Beale asking Maniac whether he is Maniac or not. He responds saying that he is Jeffrey. She states that in her house he will always be Jeffrey. What does this mean for the two of them?
3. Who saves Maniac from freezing to death and how do they go about it?
4. Why does Maniac knowingly let the McNab boys give him crazy feats to perform?
5. What happens to Russell and why can't Maniac save him?
6. How does Amanda get her way in the final chapter of the novel?
7. How does Maniac help others and what are his motives in doing so?
8. In January, after Grayson's death, where does Maniac live and how does he take care of himself?
9. How does Maniac manage to infuriate McNab and does he do it on purpose?
10. What relationships have been solidified by the end of the novel?
This section contains 1,221 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)