|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the big black man shout about on that hot August day in chapter 17?
(a) That white people shouldn't swim in his water.
(b) That white people waste everything.
(c) That white people are ruining his neighborhood.
(d) That white people never have enough.
2. What does Maniac eat at the diner?
(a) A complete meatloaf dinner.
(c) Burger and fries.
(d) Ham and eggs.
3. What does Maniac do for fifteen minutes before completing the knot?
(a) He takes a nap.
(b) He reads a book.
(c) He prays.
(d) He drinks an orange soda.
4. What is the big question at the Pickwell dinner table on the night they eat spaghetti in Chapter 6?
(a) Why are we eating spaghetti again?
(b) Who was the kid on the football field?
(c) Who was the kid who helped Arnold Jones.
(d) Who's the extra kid at the dinner table?
5. What is Maniac concerned about in regard to the book he has gotten from Amanda?
(a) If he should give it to Mars Bar.
(b) If he should give it back to Amanda at all.
(c) If he should buy another one.
(d) If he should mend the ripped page.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John McNab do to the Green Sox team at the Little League game?
2. What is the prize for untying the Cobble's Knot?
3. What does Maniac want to do when he finds Amanda crying on her doorstep?
4. Who specifically has tried to untie the knot before Maniac?
5. Why does Mrs. Beale get mad at Maniac the day she is making meatloaf?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Grayson and Maniac teach each other and how does it affect them?
2. Why is the big black man so upset that Maniac is playing in the fire hydrant water?
3. At the end of Chapter 33, in January, what does Maniac decide about his life?
4. Why does Maniac take Mars Bar to the Pickwells?
5. Right at the start of this novel, the reader knows that the main character is going to have a different life than the normal pre-teen. How so?
6. What happens to Russell and why can't Maniac save him?
7. Who saves Maniac from freezing to death and how do they go about it?
8. How does Maniac help others and what are his motives in doing so?
9. How does the story of Grayson't past affect Maniac?
10. How does Maniac impress the star quarterback, Brian Denehy in Chapter 4?
This section contains 1,233 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)