|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Maniac use only one hand to handle the football?
(a) He only has one hand.
(b) He is showing off.
(c) He is holding a book with the other one.
(d) His other hand is hurt.
2. What does the big black man shout about on that hot August day in chapter 17?
(a) That white people never have enough.
(b) That white people waste everything.
(c) That white people shouldn't swim in his water.
(d) That white people are ruining his neighborhood.
3. What is Maniac concerned about in regard to the book he has gotten from Amanda?
(a) If he should give it back to Amanda at all.
(b) If he should mend the ripped page.
(c) If he should give it to Mars Bar.
(d) If he should buy another one.
4. It is such a hot August day that the kids decide to play in what?
(a) The fire hydrant water.
(b) The creek.
(c) The pond.
(d) The pool.
5. How did the gas station attendant trick Grayson when he was a rookie?
(a) He gave Grayson the wrong directions to the field.
(b) He told Grayson that there was no gas when there was.
(c) He told Grayson that the restaurant gave a free meal to new rookies.
(d) He told Grayson that the baseball team had moved.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Beale make a U-turn when taking Maniac home?
2. Where does Maniac live while he stays in Two Mills?
3. Why are Hester, Lester, and Amanda keeping Maniac from going home early one morning in Chapter 17?
4. Who does Grayson say took Maniac's buffalo rag clothes away?
5. How does Maniac respond when Grayson asks him about attending school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Grayson and Maniac teach each other and how does it affect them?
2. How does Maniac impress the star quarterback, Brian Denehy in Chapter 4?
3. How is the scene in the kitchen between Mrs. Beale and Maniac both ironic and symbolic?
4. How does Maniac help others and what are his motives in doing so?
5. How does Amanda treat Maniac differently than everyone else in Chapter 11 and previous chapters?
6. Why does Maniac paint 101 on the front door of the equipment room?
7. Why won't Maniac go to school?
8. How do the Beale's show that they are not prejudiced people?
9. How is Maniac blind?
10. Why is the big black man so upset that Maniac is playing in the fire hydrant water?
This section contains 1,355 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)