|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the people of Two Mills give Jeffrey his nickname?
(a) Jeffrey tells them his nickname is Maniac.
(b) They think he is odd, so they give him an odd name.
(c) They say it is the name of the book that he was reading.
(d) After all of Jeffrey's stunts, they figure he is a maniac.
2. What is Amanda carrying to school in her suitcase?
(a) A project.
(b) Crayons and drawing paper.
(d) A puppy.
3. What does Maniac paint on the outside of the band shell?
(b) The number 101.
(d) Beware of buffalos.
4. Who does Grayson say took Maniac's buffalo rag clothes away?
(a) The US Army.
(b) The Sanitation Department.
(c) The buffalo.
(d) The street cleaners.
5. Why does Mrs. Beale get mad at Maniac the day she is making meatloaf?
(a) He spills the meatloaf on the floor.
(b) He tells her that he loves her.
(c) He talks trash to her.
(d) He says that he does not like meatloaf.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the neighborhood woman use to stop Mars Bar Thompson?
2. What does Maniac say trash words have in common with church words?
3. What strategy does Grayson use to help him learn to read?
4. What changes in the Beale household now that Maniac is there?
5. What is being called over and over again to Maniac when the kids are playing on that hot August day in chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Amanda think the Cobble Knot will solve Maniac's problems?
2. Why is the big black man so upset that Maniac is playing in the fire hydrant water?
3. How does Maniac help others and what are his motives in doing so?
4. Right at the start of this novel, the reader knows that the main character is going to have a different life than the normal pre-teen. How so?
5. What is the underlying reason that Maniac wants to leave town after the incident at the fire hydrant party?
6. How might Amanda Beale's character be a good match for Maniac?
7. How do the Beale's show that they are not prejudiced people?
8. Why does Maniac paint 101 on the front door of the equipment room?
9. What is Grayson so curious about that he obviously has no understanding of during his meal with Maniac at the diner?
10. How does Maniac get his nickname?
This section contains 1,163 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)