|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mr. Beale make a U-turn when taking Maniac home?
(a) Mr. Beale won't go to the neighborhood Maniac directs him to.
(b) Maniac admits he has no home.
(c) Maniac wants to say goodnight to Hester and Lester.
(d) Maniac left the book at the Beale house.
2. Why does Grayson not know how to read?
(a) He never went to school.
(b) His parents were drunks.
(c) He has a learning disability.
(d) He heard his teacher say he was never going to learn to read.
3. Why does Maniac use only one hand to handle the football?
(a) He is showing off.
(b) He is holding a book with the other one.
(c) He only has one hand.
(d) His other hand is hurt.
4. What is being called over and over again to Maniac when the kids are playing on that hot August day in chapter 17?
5. Why doesn't Maniac go to Grayson's room at the YMCA?
(a) He is afraid of Grayson.
(b) He is afraid of the YMCA.
(c) He doesn't want to bring trouble to the old man.
(d) He doesn't want anyone to see and recognize him.
6. What is the first book Grayson reads cover to cover?
(a) "Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel".
(b) "The Little Engine That Could".
(c) "The First Pitch".
(d) "The Story of Babar".
7. Which of the following is not a reason why the bigger kids from all over come to the vacant lot to see Maniac?
(a) To see if everything they heard was true.
(b) To test him.
(c) To see how good he really was.
(d) To tell him that he was not welcome in their town.
8. What happens at the school musical?
(a) Maniac sings badly.
(b) Manaic sings beautifully.
(c) Aunt Dot asks Uncle Dan for a divorce.
(d) Maniac screams for a long time.
9. What did Grayson want to grow up to be?
(a) A zoo keeper.
(b) A park ranger.
(c) A restaurant owner.
(d) A baseball player.
10. Who specifically has tried to untie the knot before Maniac?
(a) A scientist and a mathematician.
(b) A magician and a scientist.
(c) A pickpocket and a mathematician.
(d) A magician and a pickpocket.
11. What doesn't Maniac do in his new home at the Beales?
(a) Take out the trash.
(b) Sleep in his bed.
(c) Read to the children.
(d) Wash the dishes.
12. How long does it take Maniac to untie the Cobble's Knot?
(a) Four hours.
(b) All day.
(c) Two days.
(d) Fifteen minutes.
13. After leaving the East End, where does Maniac stay?
(a) At the zoo with the buffalos.
(b) On a park bench.
(c) Back at the deer shed.
(d) With his aunt and uncle.
14. Why does Maniac decide to leave town?
(a) He does not like that people don't like him.
(b) He does not want the Beales to get hurt.
(c) He does not want a riot to break out.
(d) He is afraid of the big black man.
15. Why does Carson scratch Maniac's skin?
(a) To see if he is black under the dirt.
(b) To see if he is hurt under the dirt.
(c) To see if it is dirt on his skin.
(d) To see if he is white under the dirt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does "Hands" Down do in regard to Maniac that makes the older kids upset?
2. What is the big question at the Pickwell dinner table on the night they eat spaghetti in Chapter 6?
3. By Christmas, where has Grayson moved?
4. Why do the people of Two Mills give Jeffrey his nickname?
5. What does Maniac wonder about Black people?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)