|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are Hester, Lester, and Amanda keeping Maniac from going home early one morning in Chapter 17?
(a) They do not want him to see the big black man is at their house.
(b) They do not want him to see that the police are at their house.
(c) They do not want him to see that the house has been vandalized.
(d) They do not want him to see that their house has been toilet papered.
2. Which of the following is not a reason why the bigger kids from all over come to the vacant lot to see Maniac?
(a) To see how good he really was.
(b) To test him.
(c) To tell him that he was not welcome in their town.
(d) To see if everything they heard was true.
3. Why does Maniac get out of bed to go to the front door of the Beale's house?
(a) To memorize the numbers of his new address.
(b) To let the dog in.
(c) To check to see if Mars Bar had followed him.
(d) To make sure he is in the right house.
4. What does Maniac want from Amanda at the end of Chapter 13 that she won't give him?
(a) Another one of her books.
(b) Encyclopedia A.
(c) Her forgiveness.
(d) Her bike.
5. What can't Maniac see about what is going on around him in chapter 16?
(a) That Amanda is mad at him.
(b) That he is no longer welcome at the Beale's home.
(c) That his skin isn't white.
(d) That some kids do not like him.
6. Why does Carson scratch Maniac's skin?
(a) To see if it is dirt on his skin.
(b) To see if he is hurt under the dirt.
(c) To see if he is black under the dirt.
(d) To see if he is white under the dirt.
7. What happens with the townspeople as Maniac walks up the middle of the street after the incident with the old man?
(a) Whites and blacks walk together.
(b) They disperse.
(c) They fight.
(d) The whites walk up one side, the blacks up the other.
8. How does Amanda's mom act when she first meets Maniac?
(a) She yells at them about the book being torn.
(b) She embarrasses Amanda with stories Amanda told her.
(c) She is overly thrilled at meeting the famous Maniac.
(d) She continues cleaning and ignores them.
9. Why do the people of Two Mills give Jeffrey his nickname?
(a) Jeffrey tells them his nickname is Maniac.
(b) They say it is the name of the book that he was reading.
(c) After all of Jeffrey's stunts, they figure he is a maniac.
(d) They think he is odd, so they give him an odd name.
10. What does "Hands" Down do in regard to Maniac that makes the older kids upset?
(a) He tells the older kids that Maniac does not like them.
(b) He laughs that Maniac is his friend and not theirs.
(c) He brags to the older kids about Maniac.
(d) He laughs at the older kids when Maniac beats them.
11. Why doesn't McNab want to pitch to Maniac?
(a) Maniac is not on the Green Sox.
(b) He knows Maniac can hit the ball.
(c) Maniac's shoes are flapping.
(d) He is a runt who is not on the league.
12. When does Maniac return to school?
(a) One year later.
(b) One month later.
(d) One week later.
13. Why does Maniac decide to leave town?
(a) He does not want the Beales to get hurt.
(b) He does not want a riot to break out.
(c) He does not like that people don't like him.
(d) He is afraid of the big black man.
14. What is Amanda carrying to school in her suitcase?
(b) A project.
(c) A puppy.
(d) Crayons and drawing paper.
15. It is such a hot August day that the kids decide to play in what?
(a) The creek.
(b) The pond.
(c) The fire hydrant water.
(d) The pool.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Grayson not know how to read?
2. Why does Maniac say Amen after Grayson finishes reading his first book?
3. What changes in the Beale household now that Maniac is there?
4. What does John McNab do to the Green Sox team at the Little League game?
5. What does Maniac do to make McNab pitch the ball to him?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)