|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't McNab want to pitch to Maniac?
(a) He is a runt who is not on the league.
(b) He knows Maniac can hit the ball.
(c) Maniac is not on the Green Sox.
(d) Maniac's shoes are flapping.
2. Who saves Arnold Jones in Chapter 5?
(b) Brian Denehy.
(c) Mr. Finsterwald.
(d) Amanda Beale.
3. Who is the first person to speak with Maniac in Two Mills?
(a) Amanda Beale.
(b) Brian Denehy.
(c) Jeffrey Beale.
(d) Arnold Jones.
4. Which of the following is not a reason why the bigger kids from all over come to the vacant lot to see Maniac?
(a) To see if everything they heard was true.
(b) To see how good he really was.
(c) To tell him that he was not welcome in their town.
(d) To test him.
5. What does the boy give to Maniac while he is untying the knot?
(a) A Butterscotch Krimpet.
(b) A Peanut Butter Kandy Kake.
(c) A Devil Dog.
(d) A Ring Ding.
6. What does Maniac paint on the outside of the band shell?
(c) Beware of buffalos.
(d) The number 101.
7. What happened to Grayson at the game against the Toledo Mud Hens?
(a) Grayson's pitching was terrible.
(b) Grayson hit Willie Mays.
(c) Grayson got hurt.
(d) Grayson threw a no hitter.
8. How do the Pickwells know when it is dinnertime?
(a) Mrs. Pickwell sends the dog for them.
(b) Mrs. Pickwell rings a bell.
(c) Mrs. Pickwell hollers for them.
(d) Mrs. Pickwell whistles.
9. What strategy does Grayson use to help him learn to read?
(a) He has Maniac use baseball terms.
(b) He equates reading to baseball.
(c) He memorizes a few consonants at a time.
(d) He only works with the vowels at first.
10. What do Maniac and Grayson do on Thanksgiving Day in the cold?
(a) They go ice-skating.
(b) They go watch the high school football game.
(c) They play baseball.
(d) They go to the zoo.
11. What does Maniac do for fifteen minutes before completing the knot?
(a) He takes a nap.
(b) He drinks an orange soda.
(c) He reads a book.
(d) He prays.
12. What kind of story does Amanda give to Maniac?
(a) Grimm's Fairy Tales.
(b) Children's Poetry.
(c) The Children's Crusade.
(d) A book about puppies.
13. What is Maniac running on that amazes the Pickwell children?
(a) The winding creek.
(b) The suspension bridge.
(c) The steel rail of the railroad tracks.
(d) The spear field.
14. What does Mrs. Beale finally ask Maniac one day while he is licking icing?
(a) "Why don't you have a home?"
(b) "Are you Maniac?"
(c) "Where did you come from?"
(d) "Where are your parents?"
15. In what way does Maniac get his schooling?
(a) Maniac goes to school.
(b) Maniac studies in the library.
(c) He buys old books from the library.
(d) Grayson teaches him from old books.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maniac get out of bed to go to the front door of the Beale's house?
2. How does Amanda's mom act when she first meets Maniac?
3. What changes in the Beale household now that Maniac is there?
4. Why does Maniac use only one hand to handle the football?
5. Why does Grayson not know how to read?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)