|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does King Rodric say about Lyam as his head clears?
2. What does Milamber find out from his wife?
3. What did Macros say about why Pug was captured into slavery by the Tsurani?
4. Why is Martin worried about Lyam?
5. Why does Lyam send a message to his brother and sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kasumi say about Pug's actions at the festival?
2. What happens when King Rodric arrives?
3. What does Thomas tell the council about his ambitions and what do he and the queen do?
4. What does Lyam tell Arutha about Martin and how does Arutha feel about it?
5. What happens when Milamber first arrives at the Shinzawai Lords house?
6. What does Lyam do about the Tsurani once King Rodric dies?
7. Why is Arutha angry at Lyam and what does he vow?
8. What is to be done about Guy du Bas-Tyra and what does Guy do?
9. Where does Pug go when he reaches Midkemia and who does he see? What does the man tell him?
10. What does Milamber decide about the Tsurani culture and what does he tell Hochopepa he might be forced to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 8, the Warlord wishes more Great Ones to go to fight the war. The Assembly will not order any magician to aid in the war but any individual may provide services if he wishes. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think the Assembly will not order any magician to help in the war?
2. If you had magical abilities and your country wanted you to use it against the enemies, would you be willing? Explain.
3. In many fantasy novels, those with magical abilities tend to police themselves and the use of magic. Of course, there are some who use magic for their own gain or for evil purposes. If soem people in real life had magical abilities, so you think they should be regulated?
4. What sort of pressures in our culture do you think there would be on someone with magical abilities along the same lines as Pug if the ability were quite rare?
Essay Topic 2
When it is Duke Borric is dying, he acknowledges Martin Longbow as his illegitimate son and names Lyam as his heir. Everyone knows out of the Duke several sons, Lyam is the least competent to assume his father's place. Discuss the following:
1. Who is considered the best candidate to replace the Duke? Why?
2. Compare the sons of the Duke and their strengths and weaknesses.
3. Should succession to a noble position be solely through primogeniture?
Essay Topic 3
When Tsurani slaves are captured along with Tsurani guards, the slaves suffer the same punishment as the guards--at least until Thomas is stopped from killing any more of either group. Discuss the following:
1. If one is a slave, should s/he be held accountable for an action s/he takes when ordered to do so by his/her master?
2. Should a slave refuse to commit something such as murder even if the refusal would result in the slave's death?
3. Who is morally responsible for a slave's actions who is following the orders of the master--the slave, the master or both?
This section contains 1,209 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)