|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Queen Aglaranna notice about Thomas since he's been freed?
2. What is in the room that Pug and the others enter at the servant's bidding?
3. Who does Laurie meet on his way to see Queen Aglranna?
4. What gathering does Milamber attend?
5. What do Macros, Pug and Kulgan do during the peace talks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Milamber makes it through the rift?
2. What does Milamber attend in the land of the Tsurani and of what does it consist?
3. What does Duke Borric tell his son Lyam?
4. What happens to Laurie and Kasumi when they go to see King Rodric?
5. What do Pug and the others first find when they go to Macros' island?
6. What does Lyam tell Arutha about Martin and how does Arutha feel about it?
7. Where do Kasumi and Laurie go and what happens when they first arrive there?
8. What does the Warlord want from the Great Ones and what is their response?
9. What does Lyam tell his brother and sister in a message and what doesn't he tell them?
10. How does Lyam feel about being king and what does he think about Martin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When it is Duke Borric is dying, he acknowledges Martin Longbow as his illegitimate son and names Lyam as his heir. Everyone knows out of the Duke several sons, Lyam is the least competent to assume his father's place. Discuss the following:
1. Who is considered the best candidate to replace the Duke? Why?
2. Compare the sons of the Duke and their strengths and weaknesses.
3. Should succession to a noble position be solely through primogeniture?
Essay Topic 2
Some of the characters in this book undergo great changes. Discuss the following:
1. Compare and contrast Thomas to who he is at the beginning of the book to who he is at the end of the book.
2. Compare and contrast Pug to who he is at the beginning of the book to who he is at the end of the book. Consider his name change in your analysis.
3. Compare and contrast Arutha to who he is at the beginning of the book to who he is at the end of the book. Does he grow into the potential to be a king?
Essay Topic 3
Calin is resolved to kill Thomas if need be. It seems the Queen has held Calin off but is told by Macros that pushing Thomas too far away may drive Thomas toward the darkness because of the emotions it will invoke.
1. Why do you think the queen pushing Thomas away might push him towards the darkness? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
2. Discuss the reasons Calin has for killing Thomas and why you agree or disagree with those reasons.
3. Discuss thoroughly what can you infer about Marcos based on his interactions and words with the Queen and others.
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)