|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Martin worried about Lyam?
2. What does Pug tell Kasumi to do?
3. Why does Guy du Bas-Tyra hope something will go wrong at the coronation?
4. Why does Duke Borric's son have to decide what to do?
5. What has Milamber not decided yet?
Essay Topic 1
In chapter 10 when Kasumi and Laurie finally manage an audience with King Rodric, they realize the king is either insane or so ill that he cannot carry out his royal duties. Discuss the following:
1. How does King Rodric's mental and/or physical health impact the hope for peace with the Tsurani?
2. A number of insane rulers have been tolerated in the "real" world who have wrecked havoc with their people's lives and country's well being. Should a king/queen retain sovereignty if it is obvious they are not fit to rule?
3. Why do you think insane rulers are often allowed to make poor decisions that affect a great number of people?
Essay Topic 2
The ship manages to make it through the Straights of Darkness after which every member of the crew pledges their loyalty to Amos.
1. Discuss the meaning of loyalty in view of the statement above.
2. Why do you think the men are willing to be loyal to Amos because he brought them through the Straits of Darkness?
3. Do you think loyalty that can go and come so easily is strong loyalty? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 8, the Warlord wishes more Great Ones to go to fight the war. The Assembly will not order any magician to aid in the war but any individual may provide services if he wishes. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think the Assembly will not order any magician to help in the war?
2. If you had magical abilities and your country wanted you to use it against the enemies, would you be willing? Explain.
3. In many fantasy novels, those with magical abilities tend to police themselves and the use of magic. Of course, there are some who use magic for their own gain or for evil purposes. If soem people in real life had magical abilities, so you think they should be regulated?
4. What sort of pressures in our culture do you think there would be on someone with magical abilities along the same lines as Pug if the ability were quite rare?
This section contains 2,631 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)