|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Laurie and Kasumi dressed?
2. What does King Rodric tell Lyam when he arrives?
3. What does Lyam do about Guy du Bas-Tyra?
4. Who do Pug and the others find at Marco's island?
5. What did the king say about Guy du Bas-Tyra before dying?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Macros' note explain about himself and interrupting the peace negotiations?
2. What is to be done about Guy du Bas-Tyra and what does Guy do?
3. What does Lyam tell his brother and sister in a message and what doesn't he tell them?
4. What does Lyam tell Arutha about Martin and how does Arutha feel about it?
5. Where do Kasumi and Laurie go and what happens when they first arrive there?
6. What does Kasumi say about Pug's actions at the festival?
7. What happens after Milamber makes it through the rift?
8. How does Lyam feel about being king and what does he think about Martin?
9. What happens to Laurie and Kasumi when they go to see King Rodric?
10. What happens when Thomas confronts the Tsurani prisoners?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A man stands outside a plain cell room. The man is dressed in a plain white robe, as are the other young men there. There are men in black robes that appear and nod to one of the young men meaning for them to follow. The man stands and waits on a man in black for him to follow. He is not allowed to talk. He doesn't remember being told that, but he knows he isn't allowed. He can't remember anything before waking in his cell, but it doesn't worry him.
1. Discuss in detail what a reader might infer about the man in white and his situation based only on the above paragraph.
2. Do you think it is a normal response for someone to not care if she/he can't remember anything and even knows he's not supposed to talk? Why or why not?
3. Explain in detail how you think you would feel in the above situation using examples from the book and your own life.
Essay Topic 2
Pug falls in love with a servant girl in the house and wants to marry her but is forbidden. You aren't told why but that it goes back to the secrets they are keeping from Pug and Laurie.
1. Do you think the above situation is a foreshadow of something later in the book? Why or why not?
2. Do you think two slaves should be allowed to marry each other? Why or why not?
3. How closely do you think the slave situation in this book resembles the one that used to be in place before the Civil War in America? Discuss in detail the differences and similarities.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 8, the Warlord wishes more Great Ones to go to fight the war. The Assembly will not order any magician to aid in the war but any individual may provide services if he wishes. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think the Assembly will not order any magician to help in the war?
2. If you had magical abilities and your country wanted you to use it against the enemies, would you be willing? Explain.
3. In many fantasy novels, those with magical abilities tend to police themselves and the use of magic. Of course, there are some who use magic for their own gain or for evil purposes. If soem people in real life had magical abilities, so you think they should be regulated?
4. What sort of pressures in our culture do you think there would be on someone with magical abilities along the same lines as Pug if the ability were quite rare?
This section contains 1,397 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)