|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Arutha angry with Lyam?
2. What does Lyam do about Guy du Bas-Tyra?
3. What does the Warlord want of the Great Ones?
4. Why did Macros start the fight at the peace talks?
5. What does Pug tell Kasumi to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Macros' note explain about himself and interrupting the peace negotiations?
2. How does Lyam feel about being king and what does he think about Martin?
3. What does Milamber do when he first leaves the Great Ones school and what is he trying to decide?
4. What happens to Laurie and Kasumi when they go to see King Rodric?
5. What happens when Milamber first arrives at the Shinzawai Lords house?
6. What do Pug and the others first find when they go to Macros' island?
7. What does Duke Borric tell his son Lyam?
8. Sum up, briefly what happened to Kasumi, Martin, Arutha, Pug and Amos.
9. What does Lyam do about the Tsurani once King Rodric dies?
10. What does Milamber decide about the Tsurani culture and what does he tell Hochopepa he might be forced to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Tsurani slaves are captured along with Tsurani guards, the slaves suffer the same punishment as the guards--at least until Thomas is stopped from killing any more of either group. Discuss the following:
1. If one is a slave, should s/he be held accountable for an action s/he takes when ordered to do so by his/her master?
2. Should a slave refuse to commit something such as murder even if the refusal would result in the slave's death?
3. Who is morally responsible for a slave's actions who is following the orders of the master--the slave, the master or both?
Essay Topic 2
One of the common elements of fantasy is the presence of some sort of magic. Discuss the following:
1. Is it fair that Pug (Milamber) is honored and elevated in position from that of a slave when it is discovered that he has great magical abilities?
2. What sort of cultural problems do you think the United States would have if it were suddenly discovered that 1% of its population possessed magical abilities similar to that which Pug (Milamber) has?
3. Would you want to part of the 1% of the population that possesses magical abilities? Why or why not?
4. Do you think most people would use their magical abilities for good or evil? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
In chapter 10 when Kasumi and Laurie finally manage an audience with King Rodric, they realize the king is either insane or so ill that he cannot carry out his royal duties. Discuss the following:
1. How does King Rodric's mental and/or physical health impact the hope for peace with the Tsurani?
2. A number of insane rulers have been tolerated in the "real" world who have wrecked havoc with their people's lives and country's well being. Should a king/queen retain sovereignty if it is obvious they are not fit to rule?
3. Why do you think insane rulers are often allowed to make poor decisions that affect a great number of people?
This section contains 1,347 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)