|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Kulgan?
2. What does Kasumi tell Pug about the current Warlord?
3. Who helps Laurie and Kasumi get out of Krondor?
4. What has Milamber decided about the Tsurani culture?
5. Who does Milamber surprise at the Shinzawai Lords' house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened to Thomas since he was free from Ashen-Shugar? How does the Queen feel about that?
2. What does Macros tell Thomas?
3. Sum up, briefly what happened to Kasumi, Martin, Arutha, Pug and Amos.
4. What does Lyam do about the Tsurani once King Rodric dies?
5. What does the Warlord want from the Great Ones and what is their response?
6. What does Milamber do when he first leaves the Great Ones school and what is he trying to decide?
7. What does Thomas tell the council about his ambitions and what do he and the queen do?
8. What does Lyam tell Arutha about Martin and how does Arutha feel about it?
9. What happens after Milamber makes it through the rift?
10. What does Milamber decide about the Tsurani culture and what does he tell Hochopepa he might be forced to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When it is Duke Borric is dying, he acknowledges Martin Longbow as his illegitimate son and names Lyam as his heir. Everyone knows out of the Duke several sons, Lyam is the least competent to assume his father's place. Discuss the following:
1. Who is considered the best candidate to replace the Duke? Why?
2. Compare the sons of the Duke and their strengths and weaknesses.
3. Should succession to a noble position be solely through primogeniture?
Essay Topic 2
The ship manages to make it through the Straights of Darkness after which every member of the crew pledges their loyalty to Amos.
1. Discuss the meaning of loyalty in view of the statement above.
2. Why do you think the men are willing to be loyal to Amos because he brought them through the Straits of Darkness?
3. Do you think loyalty that can go and come so easily is strong loyalty? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Though many readers think of fantasy as solely entertainment, much can be learned from studying the themes of any fantasy novel. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss and analyze the theme of honor as it occurs throughout the book.
2. Discuss and analyze the theme of magic as it occurs throughout the book.
3. Discuss and analyze two minor themes as they occur throughout the book.
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)