|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has the Duke done about Pug and his family?
2. What has the king proclaimed about Laurie and Kasumi?
3. What does Hochopepa want Milamber to attend?
4. Why does Milamber become a recluse?
5. Where are Martin and Garret going?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Duke Borric tell his son Lyam?
2. What does Kasumi say about Pug's actions at the festival?
3. What does the Warlord want from the Great Ones and what is their response?
4. Where do Kasumi and Laurie go and what happens when they first arrive there?
5. What does Lyam tell his brother and sister in a message and what doesn't he tell them?
6. What does Milamber attend in the land of the Tsurani and of what does it consist?
7. What does Macros tell Thomas?
8. What has happened to Thomas since he was free from Ashen-Shugar? How does the Queen feel about that?
9. Where does Pug go when he reaches Midkemia and who does he see? What does the man tell him?
10. What does Lyam do about the Tsurani once King Rodric dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Magician, Master falls in the genre called fantasy. Discuss the following:
1. What is the definition of genre? Fantasy genre? How do you know Magician, Master falls in the genre of fantasy? Give examples.
2. Other than entertainment, why do you think people might read fantasy?
3. Fantasy is sometimes considered second-rate fiction--i.e., that it is not good enough to be studied in academe. Why do you think this is true? Do you think it is a valid argument?
4. What might someone learn from reading fantasy?
Essay Topic 2
It appears the queen cares very much for Thomas. Many of the elves seem to fear the magic that he possesses because of the Valheru the magic came from. She has set up her magicians to cast helping spells on Thomas, and it appears to help him in keeping the darkness from taking him over. She doesn't want him to be her husband. The reader sees that she is afraid of what would happen if he does go toward the dark magic. The reader also sees she is afraid of watching him grow old while she remains young.
1. Given the situation with Thomas the queen seems to have quite a dilemma. Discuss what you think are her options and if you were in her place what you would do.
2. Discuss thoroughly the implications of becoming the spouse of someone immortal if you are mortal.
3. Discuss in depth the qualities we know are in Thomas that would help him fight the darkness and the qualities he has that might push him towards the darkness.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 8, the Warlord wishes more Great Ones to go to fight the war. The Assembly will not order any magician to aid in the war but any individual may provide services if he wishes. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think the Assembly will not order any magician to help in the war?
2. If you had magical abilities and your country wanted you to use it against the enemies, would you be willing? Explain.
3. In many fantasy novels, those with magical abilities tend to police themselves and the use of magic. Of course, there are some who use magic for their own gain or for evil purposes. If soem people in real life had magical abilities, so you think they should be regulated?
4. What sort of pressures in our culture do you think there would be on someone with magical abilities along the same lines as Pug if the ability were quite rare?
This section contains 1,221 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)