|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Kasumi in Midkemia?
2. From where has Macros come?
3. Why has Duke Borric set aside money for Pug?
4. What message does Duke Caldric want Laurie and Kasumi to carry?
5. Who does Milamber surprise at the Shinzawai Lords' house?
Essay Topic 1
One of the common elements of fantasy is the presence of some sort of magic. Discuss the following:
1. Is it fair that Pug (Milamber) is honored and elevated in position from that of a slave when it is discovered that he has great magical abilities?
2. What sort of cultural problems do you think the United States would have if it were suddenly discovered that 1% of its population possessed magical abilities similar to that which Pug (Milamber) has?
3. Would you want to part of the 1% of the population that possesses magical abilities? Why or why not?
4. Do you think most people would use their magical abilities for good or evil? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Thomas is in a sense possessed when he dons the Valheru suit of armor. When in chapter 9, he starts beheading the Tsurani guards and slaves, he does so not as Thomas but as the Valheru who used to own the suit. Discuss the following:
1. Should Thomas be held responsible for the murders he commits when possessed by the Valheru?
2. In our culture, someone who commits a crime such as murder who is proven to be insane is remanded to a psychiatric institution rather than prison. Do you think this is the best way to handle the criminally insane?
3. Is anyone who murders sane? Is the act of murder in and of itself insane?
Essay Topic 3
The ultimate success of a book hinges on many factors. A book such as Magician, Master is difficult to gage its success because it is one in a series of books about Midkemia. Nonetheless, there are some aspects of any book that must be rendered well in order for it to be considered a successful work of fiction. Discuss the following:
1. What are some aspects of the book that contribute to it being a successful novel? Give examples.
2. What are some aspects of the book that should be changed to make it an even more successful novel? Give examples.
3. Discuss five aspects of any work of fiction that need to be present and done well to make it a successful novel.
This section contains 2,600 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)