|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Milamber tell Hochopepa he would serve justice without mercy?
2. What does Lyam tell Arutha about Martin?
3. What happens to the King when he goes to battle?
4. Why doesn't the council want Thomas to be ruler?
5. Where does Milamber take his wife and son?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pug tell Kulgan about rifts?
2. What does he say about Pug and the Tsurani home world? What does he do with his library?
3. What does Duke Borric tell his son Lyam?
4. What happens when Milamber gets angry at the arena?
5. What does Lyam do about the Tsurani once King Rodric dies?
6. What happens after Milamber makes it through the rift?
7. What does Macros tell Thomas?
8. How does Lyam feel about being king and what does he think about Martin?
9. What does Macros' note explain about himself and interrupting the peace negotiations?
10. What happens when Laurie and Kasumi reach Krondor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The ship manages to make it through the Straights of Darkness after which every member of the crew pledges their loyalty to Amos.
1. Discuss the meaning of loyalty in view of the statement above.
2. Why do you think the men are willing to be loyal to Amos because he brought them through the Straits of Darkness?
3. Do you think loyalty that can go and come so easily is strong loyalty? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Hokanu saves Laurie and Pug and it seems to the reader that he tries to befriend them. Laurie seems to be learning to trust in Hokanu as he talks to them but you see that Pug doesn't trust the Tsurani and may feel that he is trying to use them.
1. Do you think you could be friends with someone who has enslaved you? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Pug is right in his suspicions about Hokanu? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. What kind of friendship can be had between people of two different classes, such as a slave and an owner, a very wealthy person and a factory worker, etc. Do you think friendship between two widely dispersed classes is possible? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The trip will be dangerous because of the time of year. The captain of the boat is fired and Amos, the prince's captain, volunteers to take charge. He tells Arutha to tell his family goodbye before he leaves and to put things in order in case he doesn't make it back.
1. Discuss what courage is and what it means in light of the above statements.
2. Do you think every person would have the courage to get on Amos' boat willingly? Why or why not?
3. In view of the above statement, explain how desperation will make people do dangerous tasks. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,183 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)