|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Macros leave his library?
2. What does Milamber do when he becomes angry?
3. What do Thomas and Queen Aglranna do the next day after the council meeting?
4. Who helps Laurie and Kasumi get out of Krondor?
5. What does Kasumi tell Pug about the current Warlord?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The ultimate success of a book hinges on many factors. A book such as Magician, Master is difficult to gage its success because it is one in a series of books about Midkemia. Nonetheless, there are some aspects of any book that must be rendered well in order for it to be considered a successful work of fiction. Discuss the following:
1. What are some aspects of the book that contribute to it being a successful novel? Give examples.
2. What are some aspects of the book that should be changed to make it an even more successful novel? Give examples.
3. Discuss five aspects of any work of fiction that need to be present and done well to make it a successful novel.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 8, the Warlord wishes more Great Ones to go to fight the war. The Assembly will not order any magician to aid in the war but any individual may provide services if he wishes. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think the Assembly will not order any magician to help in the war?
2. If you had magical abilities and your country wanted you to use it against the enemies, would you be willing? Explain.
3. In many fantasy novels, those with magical abilities tend to police themselves and the use of magic. Of course, there are some who use magic for their own gain or for evil purposes. If soem people in real life had magical abilities, so you think they should be regulated?
4. What sort of pressures in our culture do you think there would be on someone with magical abilities along the same lines as Pug if the ability were quite rare?
Essay Topic 3
The ship manages to make it through the Straights of Darkness after which every member of the crew pledges their loyalty to Amos.
1. Discuss the meaning of loyalty in view of the statement above.
2. Why do you think the men are willing to be loyal to Amos because he brought them through the Straits of Darkness?
3. Do you think loyalty that can go and come so easily is strong loyalty? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,589 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)