|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Macros, Pug and Kulgan do during the peace talks?
2. What makes Milamber sick?
3. What does Kasumi ask?
4. Who helps Laurie and Kasumi get out of Krondor?
5. What does Arutha do after the coronation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when King Rodric arrives?
2. What does Lyam tell Arutha about Martin and how does Arutha feel about it?
3. What does Kasumi say about Pug's actions at the festival?
4. What does Macros' note explain about himself and interrupting the peace negotiations?
5. What does Thomas tell the council about his ambitions and what do he and the queen do?
6. What happens when Milamber first arrives at the Shinzawai Lords house?
7. What happens when Milamber gets angry at the arena?
8. What does Duke Borric tell his son Lyam?
9. What does Milamber decide about the Tsurani culture and what does he tell Hochopepa he might be forced to do?
10. What happens to Laurie and Kasumi when they go to see King Rodric?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When it is Duke Borric is dying, he acknowledges Martin Longbow as his illegitimate son and names Lyam as his heir. Everyone knows out of the Duke several sons, Lyam is the least competent to assume his father's place. Discuss the following:
1. Who is considered the best candidate to replace the Duke? Why?
2. Compare the sons of the Duke and their strengths and weaknesses.
3. Should succession to a noble position be solely through primogeniture?
Essay Topic 2
In chapter 7, Princess Anita is smuggled on board in order to escape a forced marriage with Guy du Bas-Tyra, who wants to use Anita as a means to gain the throne. Anita announces to her cousin, Arutha, that their parents had intended them to marry for the sake of the kingdom ever since the two were quite young. In many cultures both in fantasy and the "real" world, women have no say over who they marry--even in the Western world up until the 20th century, women were often forced to marry for political or social expediency. Discuss one of the following:
1. How would you react if you were told at a very early age who you would marry? Would you be willing to obey your parents knowing that there is very little future for an unmarried woman.
2. Even though women have been controlled as far as marriage for centuries, some men are just as "stuck" with an unwanted marriage partner as a women--these are usually nobles who must marry to keep or raise the standing of their families. If you are a man and are told who you would marry and you found that person quite unacceptable, would you give up money and position to defy your parents?
3. Why do you think forced marriages are occurring less and less often even in countries where woman are still quite oppressed?
Essay Topic 3
The trip will be dangerous because of the time of year. The captain of the boat is fired and Amos, the prince's captain, volunteers to take charge. He tells Arutha to tell his family goodbye before he leaves and to put things in order in case he doesn't make it back.
1. Discuss what courage is and what it means in light of the above statements.
2. Do you think every person would have the courage to get on Amos' boat willingly? Why or why not?
3. In view of the above statement, explain how desperation will make people do dangerous tasks. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,235 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)