|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where has Macros come?
2. Who shows up when Martin is looking at the Tsurani prisoners?
3. Why does Brucal come into Lyam's tent?
4. What does Milamber tell Kamatsu?
5. What happens to the King when he goes to battle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pug tell Kulgan about rifts?
2. What happens when King Rodric arrives?
3. What happens after Milamber makes it through the rift?
4. What does Milamber attend in the land of the Tsurani and of what does it consist?
5. What does he say about Pug and the Tsurani home world? What does he do with his library?
6. What do Pug and the others first find when they go to Macros' island?
7. What happens when Laurie and Kasumi reach Krondor?
8. What does Lyam do about the Tsurani once King Rodric dies?
9. What does Macros tell Thomas?
10. What happens when Thomas confronts the Tsurani prisoners?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After the final task that Milamber endures he appears to regain his memories and emotions. He seems to enjoy the new power he receives. He is no longer Pug the keep boy but a magician and appears much more powerful than his former master Kulgan from his home world.
1. Pug has gone from a slave to a Great One with new power. Discuss how he reacts to the changes using examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss the return of Pug's memories and what it means to him and why, using examples from the book to support your answer.
3. In real life people will sometimes, though rarely, lose their memories for days, weeks or years and regain them. Using your imagination, discuss how you would feel if that happened to you and what you would do, both when you lost your memories and when you regained them.
Essay Topic 2
In chapter 7, Princess Anita is smuggled on board in order to escape a forced marriage with Guy du Bas-Tyra, who wants to use Anita as a means to gain the throne. Anita announces to her cousin, Arutha, that their parents had intended them to marry for the sake of the kingdom ever since the two were quite young. In many cultures both in fantasy and the "real" world, women have no say over who they marry--even in the Western world up until the 20th century, women were often forced to marry for political or social expediency. Discuss one of the following:
1. How would you react if you were told at a very early age who you would marry? Would you be willing to obey your parents knowing that there is very little future for an unmarried woman.
2. Even though women have been controlled as far as marriage for centuries, some men are just as "stuck" with an unwanted marriage partner as a women--these are usually nobles who must marry to keep or raise the standing of their families. If you are a man and are told who you would marry and you found that person quite unacceptable, would you give up money and position to defy your parents?
3. Why do you think forced marriages are occurring less and less often even in countries where woman are still quite oppressed?
Essay Topic 3
Thomas is in a sense possessed when he dons the Valheru suit of armor. When in chapter 9, he starts beheading the Tsurani guards and slaves, he does so not as Thomas but as the Valheru who used to own the suit. Discuss the following:
1. Should Thomas be held responsible for the murders he commits when possessed by the Valheru?
2. In our culture, someone who commits a crime such as murder who is proven to be insane is remanded to a psychiatric institution rather than prison. Do you think this is the best way to handle the criminally insane?
3. Is anyone who murders sane? Is the act of murder in and of itself insane?
This section contains 1,342 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)