|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Guy du Bas-Tyra hope something will go wrong at the coronation?
2. What does King Rodric say about Lyam as his head clears?
3. Where does Milamber take his wife and son?
4. What does King Rodric tell Lyam when he arrives?
5. What does Milamber tell Kamatsu?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Duke Borric tell his son Lyam?
2. What does Milamber decide about the Tsurani culture and what does he tell Hochopepa he might be forced to do?
3. What does Lyam tell his brother and sister in a message and what doesn't he tell them?
4. What happens when Thomas confronts the Tsurani prisoners?
5. Sum up, briefly what happened to Kasumi, Martin, Arutha, Pug and Amos.
6. What does Lyam tell Arutha about Martin and how does Arutha feel about it?
7. What does Milamber attend in the land of the Tsurani and of what does it consist?
8. What does Lyam do about the Tsurani once King Rodric dies?
9. What happens when Milamber gets angry at the arena?
10. What does Milamber do when he first leaves the Great Ones school and what is he trying to decide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Calin is resolved to kill Thomas if need be. It seems the Queen has held Calin off but is told by Macros that pushing Thomas too far away may drive Thomas toward the darkness because of the emotions it will invoke.
1. Why do you think the queen pushing Thomas away might push him towards the darkness? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
2. Discuss the reasons Calin has for killing Thomas and why you agree or disagree with those reasons.
3. Discuss thoroughly what can you infer about Marcos based on his interactions and words with the Queen and others.
Essay Topic 2
Hokanu saves Laurie and Pug and it seems to the reader that he tries to befriend them. Laurie seems to be learning to trust in Hokanu as he talks to them but you see that Pug doesn't trust the Tsurani and may feel that he is trying to use them.
1. Do you think you could be friends with someone who has enslaved you? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Pug is right in his suspicions about Hokanu? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. What kind of friendship can be had between people of two different classes, such as a slave and an owner, a very wealthy person and a factory worker, etc. Do you think friendship between two widely dispersed classes is possible? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In chapter 7, Princess Anita is smuggled on board in order to escape a forced marriage with Guy du Bas-Tyra, who wants to use Anita as a means to gain the throne. Anita announces to her cousin, Arutha, that their parents had intended them to marry for the sake of the kingdom ever since the two were quite young. In many cultures both in fantasy and the "real" world, women have no say over who they marry--even in the Western world up until the 20th century, women were often forced to marry for political or social expediency. Discuss one of the following:
1. How would you react if you were told at a very early age who you would marry? Would you be willing to obey your parents knowing that there is very little future for an unmarried woman.
2. Even though women have been controlled as far as marriage for centuries, some men are just as "stuck" with an unwanted marriage partner as a women--these are usually nobles who must marry to keep or raise the standing of their families. If you are a man and are told who you would marry and you found that person quite unacceptable, would you give up money and position to defy your parents?
3. Why do you think forced marriages are occurring less and less often even in countries where woman are still quite oppressed?
This section contains 1,383 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)