|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lyam refuse to do when Thomas attacks the Tsurani?
2. Why doesn't the council want Thomas to be ruler?
3. What reason does Hochopepa give for the Shinzawai to be missing?
4. Why has Duke Borric set aside money for Pug?
5. What kind of announcement does the Warlord make?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Macros' note explain about himself and interrupting the peace negotiations?
2. What happens after Milamber makes it through the rift?
3. What happens when Thomas confronts the Tsurani prisoners?
4. Where do Kasumi and Laurie go and what happens when they first arrive there?
5. What do Pug and the others first find when they go to Macros' island?
6. What does Lyam tell his brother and sister in a message and what doesn't he tell them?
7. What happens to Laurie and Kasumi when they go to see King Rodric?
8. What does Lyam do about the Tsurani once King Rodric dies?
9. Why is Arutha angry at Lyam and what does he vow?
10. Where does Pug go when he reaches Midkemia and who does he see? What does the man tell him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Calin is resolved to kill Thomas if need be. It seems the Queen has held Calin off but is told by Macros that pushing Thomas too far away may drive Thomas toward the darkness because of the emotions it will invoke.
1. Why do you think the queen pushing Thomas away might push him towards the darkness? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
2. Discuss the reasons Calin has for killing Thomas and why you agree or disagree with those reasons.
3. Discuss thoroughly what can you infer about Marcos based on his interactions and words with the Queen and others.
Essay Topic 2
The ultimate success of a book hinges on many factors. A book such as Magician, Master is difficult to gage its success because it is one in a series of books about Midkemia. Nonetheless, there are some aspects of any book that must be rendered well in order for it to be considered a successful work of fiction. Discuss the following:
1. What are some aspects of the book that contribute to it being a successful novel? Give examples.
2. What are some aspects of the book that should be changed to make it an even more successful novel? Give examples.
3. Discuss five aspects of any work of fiction that need to be present and done well to make it a successful novel.
Essay Topic 3
Pug falls in love with a servant girl in the house and wants to marry her but is forbidden. You aren't told why but that it goes back to the secrets they are keeping from Pug and Laurie.
1. Do you think the above situation is a foreshadow of something later in the book? Why or why not?
2. Do you think two slaves should be allowed to marry each other? Why or why not?
3. How closely do you think the slave situation in this book resembles the one that used to be in place before the Civil War in America? Discuss in detail the differences and similarities.
This section contains 1,354 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)