|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does King Rodric tell Lyam when he arrives?
2. Where does Martin end up?
3. What happens to the King when he goes to battle?
4. What are on the boats Laurie and Kasumi see?
5. What is suggested might kill Thomas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does he say about Pug and the Tsurani home world? What does he do with his library?
2. Where are Martin and Garret going and what does Martin tell Garret he wants from him?
3. What does Pug tell Kulgan about rifts?
4. What does Milamber decide about the Tsurani culture and what does he tell Hochopepa he might be forced to do?
5. What is to be done about Guy du Bas-Tyra and what does Guy do?
6. What happens after Milamber makes it through the rift?
7. What happens to Laurie and Kasumi when they go to see King Rodric?
8. What has happened to Thomas since he was free from Ashen-Shugar? How does the Queen feel about that?
9. Why is Arutha angry at Lyam and what does he vow?
10. What does Milamber attend in the land of the Tsurani and of what does it consist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Magician, Master falls in the genre called fantasy. Discuss the following:
1. What is the definition of genre? Fantasy genre? How do you know Magician, Master falls in the genre of fantasy? Give examples.
2. Other than entertainment, why do you think people might read fantasy?
3. Fantasy is sometimes considered second-rate fiction--i.e., that it is not good enough to be studied in academe. Why do you think this is true? Do you think it is a valid argument?
4. What might someone learn from reading fantasy?
Essay Topic 2
In chapter 10 when Kasumi and Laurie finally manage an audience with King Rodric, they realize the king is either insane or so ill that he cannot carry out his royal duties. Discuss the following:
1. How does King Rodric's mental and/or physical health impact the hope for peace with the Tsurani?
2. A number of insane rulers have been tolerated in the "real" world who have wrecked havoc with their people's lives and country's well being. Should a king/queen retain sovereignty if it is obvious they are not fit to rule?
3. Why do you think insane rulers are often allowed to make poor decisions that affect a great number of people?
Essay Topic 3
It appears the queen cares very much for Thomas. Many of the elves seem to fear the magic that he possesses because of the Valheru the magic came from. She has set up her magicians to cast helping spells on Thomas, and it appears to help him in keeping the darkness from taking him over. She doesn't want him to be her husband. The reader sees that she is afraid of what would happen if he does go toward the dark magic. The reader also sees she is afraid of watching him grow old while she remains young.
1. Given the situation with Thomas the queen seems to have quite a dilemma. Discuss what you think are her options and if you were in her place what you would do.
2. Discuss thoroughly the implications of becoming the spouse of someone immortal if you are mortal.
3. Discuss in depth the qualities we know are in Thomas that would help him fight the darkness and the qualities he has that might push him towards the darkness.
This section contains 1,246 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)