|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Kasumi in Midkemia?
2. From where has Macros come?
3. Why has Duke Borric set aside money for Pug?
4. What message does Duke Caldric want Laurie and Kasumi to carry?
5. Who does Milamber surprise at the Shinzawai Lords' house?
Essay Topic 1
In chapter 10 when Kasumi and Laurie finally manage an audience with King Rodric, they realize the king is either insane or so ill that he cannot carry out his royal duties. Discuss the following:
1. How does King Rodric's mental and/or physical health impact the hope for peace with the Tsurani?
2. A number of insane rulers have been tolerated in the "real" world who have wrecked havoc with their people's lives and country's well being. Should a king/queen retain sovereignty if it is obvious they are not fit to rule?
3. Why do you think insane rulers are often allowed to make poor decisions that affect a great number of people?
Essay Topic 2
Some of the characters in this book undergo great changes. Discuss the following:
1. Compare and contrast Thomas to who he is at the beginning of the book to who he is at the end of the book.
2. Compare and contrast Pug to who he is at the beginning of the book to who he is at the end of the book. Consider his name change in your analysis.
3. Compare and contrast Arutha to who he is at the beginning of the book to who he is at the end of the book. Does he grow into the potential to be a king?
Essay Topic 3
Hokanu saves Laurie and Pug and it seems to the reader that he tries to befriend them. Laurie seems to be learning to trust in Hokanu as he talks to them but you see that Pug doesn't trust the Tsurani and may feel that he is trying to use them.
1. Do you think you could be friends with someone who has enslaved you? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Pug is right in his suspicions about Hokanu? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. What kind of friendship can be had between people of two different classes, such as a slave and an owner, a very wealthy person and a factory worker, etc. Do you think friendship between two widely dispersed classes is possible? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,600 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)