|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Kulgan?
2. Where does Martin end up?
3. What does Milamber tell Kamatsu?
4. What does the council tell Queen Aglranna about Thomas?
5. What does Pug tell Kulgan about the rift?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does he say about Pug and the Tsurani home world? What does he do with his library?
2. What does the Warlord want from the Great Ones and what is their response?
3. What does Milamber decide about the Tsurani culture and what does he tell Hochopepa he might be forced to do?
4. What happens when Laurie and Kasumi reach Krondor?
5. How does Lyam feel about being king and what does he think about Martin?
6. What happens when Thomas confronts the Tsurani prisoners?
7. Where do Kasumi and Laurie go and what happens when they first arrive there?
8. Where does Pug go when he reaches Midkemia and who does he see? What does the man tell him?
9. What does Kasumi say about Pug's actions at the festival?
10. What happens when Milamber first arrives at the Shinzawai Lords house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After the final task that Milamber endures he appears to regain his memories and emotions. He seems to enjoy the new power he receives. He is no longer Pug the keep boy but a magician and appears much more powerful than his former master Kulgan from his home world.
1. Pug has gone from a slave to a Great One with new power. Discuss how he reacts to the changes using examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss the return of Pug's memories and what it means to him and why, using examples from the book to support your answer.
3. In real life people will sometimes, though rarely, lose their memories for days, weeks or years and regain them. Using your imagination, discuss how you would feel if that happened to you and what you would do, both when you lost your memories and when you regained them.
Essay Topic 2
In chapter 7, Princess Anita is smuggled on board in order to escape a forced marriage with Guy du Bas-Tyra, who wants to use Anita as a means to gain the throne. Anita announces to her cousin, Arutha, that their parents had intended them to marry for the sake of the kingdom ever since the two were quite young. In many cultures both in fantasy and the "real" world, women have no say over who they marry--even in the Western world up until the 20th century, women were often forced to marry for political or social expediency. Discuss one of the following:
1. How would you react if you were told at a very early age who you would marry? Would you be willing to obey your parents knowing that there is very little future for an unmarried woman.
2. Even though women have been controlled as far as marriage for centuries, some men are just as "stuck" with an unwanted marriage partner as a women--these are usually nobles who must marry to keep or raise the standing of their families. If you are a man and are told who you would marry and you found that person quite unacceptable, would you give up money and position to defy your parents?
3. Why do you think forced marriages are occurring less and less often even in countries where woman are still quite oppressed?
Essay Topic 3
Amos Trask is a former pirate who commits many crimes during his days of piracy. Discuss the following:
1. Amos is pardoned for his crimes by Lyam when Lyam becomes king. Does this seem fair that Amos can just be forgiven his past because he helped Arutha and Anita?
2. Should a king or President or other head of state have the right of pardon? Why or why not.
3. Is there a place in the legal system for pardons? Argue for or against the idea.
This section contains 1,348 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)