|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom do Laurie and Kasumi speak to request an audience with the king?
2. What does Pug tell Kasumi to do?
3. What reason does Hochopepa give for the Shinzawai to be missing?
4. What kind of king do the people think Lyam will make?
5. Why has Duke Borric set aside money for Pug?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Milamber gets angry at the arena?
2. What does Pug tell Kulgan about rifts?
3. What does Lyam tell Arutha about Martin and how does Arutha feel about it?
4. What does Macros tell Thomas?
5. Where do Kasumi and Laurie go and what happens when they first arrive there?
6. Why is Arutha angry at Lyam and what does he vow?
7. What happens when Milamber first arrives at the Shinzawai Lords house?
8. What does Milamber decide about the Tsurani culture and what does he tell Hochopepa he might be forced to do?
9. What happens to Laurie and Kasumi when they go to see King Rodric?
10. What does he say about Pug and the Tsurani home world? What does he do with his library?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 8, the Warlord wishes more Great Ones to go to fight the war. The Assembly will not order any magician to aid in the war but any individual may provide services if he wishes. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think the Assembly will not order any magician to help in the war?
2. If you had magical abilities and your country wanted you to use it against the enemies, would you be willing? Explain.
3. In many fantasy novels, those with magical abilities tend to police themselves and the use of magic. Of course, there are some who use magic for their own gain or for evil purposes. If soem people in real life had magical abilities, so you think they should be regulated?
4. What sort of pressures in our culture do you think there would be on someone with magical abilities along the same lines as Pug if the ability were quite rare?
Essay Topic 2
When Tsurani slaves are captured along with Tsurani guards, the slaves suffer the same punishment as the guards--at least until Thomas is stopped from killing any more of either group. Discuss the following:
1. If one is a slave, should s/he be held accountable for an action s/he takes when ordered to do so by his/her master?
2. Should a slave refuse to commit something such as murder even if the refusal would result in the slave's death?
3. Who is morally responsible for a slave's actions who is following the orders of the master--the slave, the master or both?
Essay Topic 3
In chapter 10 when Kasumi and Laurie finally manage an audience with King Rodric, they realize the king is either insane or so ill that he cannot carry out his royal duties. Discuss the following:
1. How does King Rodric's mental and/or physical health impact the hope for peace with the Tsurani?
2. A number of insane rulers have been tolerated in the "real" world who have wrecked havoc with their people's lives and country's well being. Should a king/queen retain sovereignty if it is obvious they are not fit to rule?
3. Why do you think insane rulers are often allowed to make poor decisions that affect a great number of people?
This section contains 1,209 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)