|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Queen announce to the council?
2. What does Lyam say about the peace offering?
3. What message arrives from the Emperor?
4. What are on the boats Laurie and Kasumi see?
5. What does Queen Aglaranna notice about Thomas since he's been freed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Milamber first arrives at the Shinzawai Lords house?
2. What do Pug and the others first find when they go to Macros' island?
3. What does Lyam tell his brother and sister in a message and what doesn't he tell them?
4. What does Duke Borric tell his son Lyam?
5. Why is Arutha angry at Lyam and what does he vow?
6. What does Thomas tell the council about his ambitions and what do he and the queen do?
7. What happens when King Rodric arrives?
8. What has happened to Thomas since he was free from Ashen-Shugar? How does the Queen feel about that?
9. What does Milamber attend in the land of the Tsurani and of what does it consist?
10. What does Milamber decide about the Tsurani culture and what does he tell Hochopepa he might be forced to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hokanu saves Laurie and Pug and it seems to the reader that he tries to befriend them. Laurie seems to be learning to trust in Hokanu as he talks to them but you see that Pug doesn't trust the Tsurani and may feel that he is trying to use them.
1. Do you think you could be friends with someone who has enslaved you? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Pug is right in his suspicions about Hokanu? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. What kind of friendship can be had between people of two different classes, such as a slave and an owner, a very wealthy person and a factory worker, etc. Do you think friendship between two widely dispersed classes is possible? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The trip will be dangerous because of the time of year. The captain of the boat is fired and Amos, the prince's captain, volunteers to take charge. He tells Arutha to tell his family goodbye before he leaves and to put things in order in case he doesn't make it back.
1. Discuss what courage is and what it means in light of the above statements.
2. Do you think every person would have the courage to get on Amos' boat willingly? Why or why not?
3. In view of the above statement, explain how desperation will make people do dangerous tasks. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
When Tsurani slaves are captured along with Tsurani guards, the slaves suffer the same punishment as the guards--at least until Thomas is stopped from killing any more of either group. Discuss the following:
1. If one is a slave, should s/he be held accountable for an action s/he takes when ordered to do so by his/her master?
2. Should a slave refuse to commit something such as murder even if the refusal would result in the slave's death?
3. Who is morally responsible for a slave's actions who is following the orders of the master--the slave, the master or both?
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)