|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are on the boats Laurie and Kasumi see?
2. What does Hochopepa want Milamber to attend?
3. What reason does Hochopepa give for the Shinzawai to be missing?
4. Why is it difficult for Laurie and Kasumi to speak with the king?
5. Who helps Laurie and Kasumi get out of Krondor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Sum up, briefly what happened to Kasumi, Martin, Arutha, Pug and Amos.
2. What does Lyam tell Arutha about Martin and how does Arutha feel about it?
3. What does Kasumi say about Pug's actions at the festival?
4. How does Lyam feel about being king and what does he think about Martin?
5. Where are Martin and Garret going and what does Martin tell Garret he wants from him?
6. What happens to Laurie and Kasumi when they go to see King Rodric?
7. What does Lyam do about the Tsurani once King Rodric dies?
8. What does the Warlord want from the Great Ones and what is their response?
9. What does Thomas tell the council about his ambitions and what do he and the queen do?
10. What does Macros' note explain about himself and interrupting the peace negotiations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In chapter 7, Princess Anita is smuggled on board in order to escape a forced marriage with Guy du Bas-Tyra, who wants to use Anita as a means to gain the throne. Anita announces to her cousin, Arutha, that their parents had intended them to marry for the sake of the kingdom ever since the two were quite young. In many cultures both in fantasy and the "real" world, women have no say over who they marry--even in the Western world up until the 20th century, women were often forced to marry for political or social expediency. Discuss one of the following:
1. How would you react if you were told at a very early age who you would marry? Would you be willing to obey your parents knowing that there is very little future for an unmarried woman.
2. Even though women have been controlled as far as marriage for centuries, some men are just as "stuck" with an unwanted marriage partner as a women--these are usually nobles who must marry to keep or raise the standing of their families. If you are a man and are told who you would marry and you found that person quite unacceptable, would you give up money and position to defy your parents?
3. Why do you think forced marriages are occurring less and less often even in countries where woman are still quite oppressed?
Essay Topic 2
The ship manages to make it through the Straights of Darkness after which every member of the crew pledges their loyalty to Amos.
1. Discuss the meaning of loyalty in view of the statement above.
2. Why do you think the men are willing to be loyal to Amos because he brought them through the Straits of Darkness?
3. Do you think loyalty that can go and come so easily is strong loyalty? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Calin is resolved to kill Thomas if need be. It seems the Queen has held Calin off but is told by Macros that pushing Thomas too far away may drive Thomas toward the darkness because of the emotions it will invoke.
1. Why do you think the queen pushing Thomas away might push him towards the darkness? Use examples from the book and your own life to support your answer.
2. Discuss the reasons Calin has for killing Thomas and why you agree or disagree with those reasons.
3. Discuss thoroughly what can you infer about Marcos based on his interactions and words with the Queen and others.
This section contains 1,424 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)