|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pug tell Kasumi to do?
2. Why does Brucal come into Lyam's tent?
3. Why does Guy du Bas-Tyra hope something will go wrong at the coronation?
4. What does the council tell Queen Aglranna about Thomas?
5. Who helps Laurie and Kasumi get out of Krondor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when King Rodric arrives?
2. What does Milamber decide about the Tsurani culture and what does he tell Hochopepa he might be forced to do?
3. What happens to Laurie and Kasumi when they go to see King Rodric?
4. Where are Martin and Garret going and what does Martin tell Garret he wants from him?
5. What has happened to Thomas since he was free from Ashen-Shugar? How does the Queen feel about that?
6. What does the Warlord want from the Great Ones and what is their response?
7. What does Lyam tell Arutha about Martin and how does Arutha feel about it?
8. What does Macros' note explain about himself and interrupting the peace negotiations?
9. What does Duke Borric tell his son Lyam?
10. What is to be done about Guy du Bas-Tyra and what does Guy do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When it is Duke Borric is dying, he acknowledges Martin Longbow as his illegitimate son and names Lyam as his heir. Everyone knows out of the Duke several sons, Lyam is the least competent to assume his father's place. Discuss the following:
1. Who is considered the best candidate to replace the Duke? Why?
2. Compare the sons of the Duke and their strengths and weaknesses.
3. Should succession to a noble position be solely through primogeniture?
Essay Topic 2
Hokanu saves Laurie and Pug and it seems to the reader that he tries to befriend them. Laurie seems to be learning to trust in Hokanu as he talks to them but you see that Pug doesn't trust the Tsurani and may feel that he is trying to use them.
1. Do you think you could be friends with someone who has enslaved you? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Pug is right in his suspicions about Hokanu? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. What kind of friendship can be had between people of two different classes, such as a slave and an owner, a very wealthy person and a factory worker, etc. Do you think friendship between two widely dispersed classes is possible? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Though many readers think of fantasy as solely entertainment, much can be learned from studying the themes of any fantasy novel. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss and analyze the theme of honor as it occurs throughout the book.
2. Discuss and analyze the theme of magic as it occurs throughout the book.
3. Discuss and analyze two minor themes as they occur throughout the book.
This section contains 1,212 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)