|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Milamber tell Kamatsu?
2. Why is Arutha angry with Lyam?
3. What does the council tell Queen Aglranna about Thomas?
4. What has Pug found out about rifts when he studied them?
5. What kind of announcement does the Warlord make?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It appears the queen cares very much for Thomas. Many of the elves seem to fear the magic that he possesses because of the Valheru the magic came from. She has set up her magicians to cast helping spells on Thomas, and it appears to help him in keeping the darkness from taking him over. She doesn't want him to be her husband. The reader sees that she is afraid of what would happen if he does go toward the dark magic. The reader also sees she is afraid of watching him grow old while she remains young.
1. Given the situation with Thomas the queen seems to have quite a dilemma. Discuss what you think are her options and if you were in her place what you would do.
2. Discuss thoroughly the implications of becoming the spouse of someone immortal if you are mortal.
3. Discuss in depth the qualities we know are in Thomas that would help him fight the darkness and the qualities he has that might push him towards the darkness.
Essay Topic 2
Hokanu saves Laurie and Pug and it seems to the reader that he tries to befriend them. Laurie seems to be learning to trust in Hokanu as he talks to them but you see that Pug doesn't trust the Tsurani and may feel that he is trying to use them.
1. Do you think you could be friends with someone who has enslaved you? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Pug is right in his suspicions about Hokanu? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. What kind of friendship can be had between people of two different classes, such as a slave and an owner, a very wealthy person and a factory worker, etc. Do you think friendship between two widely dispersed classes is possible? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In chapter 10 when Kasumi and Laurie finally manage an audience with King Rodric, they realize the king is either insane or so ill that he cannot carry out his royal duties. Discuss the following:
1. How does King Rodric's mental and/or physical health impact the hope for peace with the Tsurani?
2. A number of insane rulers have been tolerated in the "real" world who have wrecked havoc with their people's lives and country's well being. Should a king/queen retain sovereignty if it is obvious they are not fit to rule?
3. Why do you think insane rulers are often allowed to make poor decisions that affect a great number of people?
This section contains 2,638 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)