|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Arutha vow to do if necessary for the kingdom?
2. Why is Arutha angry with Lyam?
3. What is one of the first tasks Milamber does in Chapter 8?
4. What do Kasumi and Pug tell Lyam?
5. What is suggested might kill Thomas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pug tell Kulgan about rifts?
2. What happens when King Rodric arrives?
3. What does Duke Borric tell his son Lyam?
4. What happens when Milamber first arrives at the Shinzawai Lords house?
5. What does Milamber decide about the Tsurani culture and what does he tell Hochopepa he might be forced to do?
6. What does Thomas tell the council about his ambitions and what do he and the queen do?
7. What does Macros' note explain about himself and interrupting the peace negotiations?
8. Sum up, briefly what happened to Kasumi, Martin, Arutha, Pug and Amos.
9. What does Milamber attend in the land of the Tsurani and of what does it consist?
10. What is to be done about Guy du Bas-Tyra and what does Guy do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The trip will be dangerous because of the time of year. The captain of the boat is fired and Amos, the prince's captain, volunteers to take charge. He tells Arutha to tell his family goodbye before he leaves and to put things in order in case he doesn't make it back.
1. Discuss what courage is and what it means in light of the above statements.
2. Do you think every person would have the courage to get on Amos' boat willingly? Why or why not?
3. In view of the above statement, explain how desperation will make people do dangerous tasks. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
One of the common elements of fantasy is the presence of some sort of magic. Discuss the following:
1. Is it fair that Pug (Milamber) is honored and elevated in position from that of a slave when it is discovered that he has great magical abilities?
2. What sort of cultural problems do you think the United States would have if it were suddenly discovered that 1% of its population possessed magical abilities similar to that which Pug (Milamber) has?
3. Would you want to part of the 1% of the population that possesses magical abilities? Why or why not?
4. Do you think most people would use their magical abilities for good or evil? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 8, the Warlord wishes more Great Ones to go to fight the war. The Assembly will not order any magician to aid in the war but any individual may provide services if he wishes. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think the Assembly will not order any magician to help in the war?
2. If you had magical abilities and your country wanted you to use it against the enemies, would you be willing? Explain.
3. In many fantasy novels, those with magical abilities tend to police themselves and the use of magic. Of course, there are some who use magic for their own gain or for evil purposes. If soem people in real life had magical abilities, so you think they should be regulated?
4. What sort of pressures in our culture do you think there would be on someone with magical abilities along the same lines as Pug if the ability were quite rare?
This section contains 1,250 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)