|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are on the boats Laurie and Kasumi see?
2. What does Milamber find out from his wife?
3. What does Macros tell Thomas?
4. What does Milamber tell Kamatsu?
5. What did the king say about Guy du Bas-Tyra before dying?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lyam do about the Tsurani once King Rodric dies?
2. What does the Warlord want from the Great Ones and what is their response?
3. What does Milamber do when he first leaves the Great Ones school and what is he trying to decide?
4. Where does Pug go when he reaches Midkemia and who does he see? What does the man tell him?
5. What happens when Thomas confronts the Tsurani prisoners?
6. What does Lyam tell his brother and sister in a message and what doesn't he tell them?
7. What does Milamber attend in the land of the Tsurani and of what does it consist?
8. What happens to Laurie and Kasumi when they go to see King Rodric?
9. What is to be done about Guy du Bas-Tyra and what does Guy do?
10. What does Pug tell Kulgan about rifts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Thomas is in a sense possessed when he dons the Valheru suit of armor. When in chapter 9, he starts beheading the Tsurani guards and slaves, he does so not as Thomas but as the Valheru who used to own the suit. Discuss the following:
1. Should Thomas be held responsible for the murders he commits when possessed by the Valheru?
2. In our culture, someone who commits a crime such as murder who is proven to be insane is remanded to a psychiatric institution rather than prison. Do you think this is the best way to handle the criminally insane?
3. Is anyone who murders sane? Is the act of murder in and of itself insane?
Essay Topic 2
Magician, Master falls in the genre called fantasy. Discuss the following:
1. What is the definition of genre? Fantasy genre? How do you know Magician, Master falls in the genre of fantasy? Give examples.
2. Other than entertainment, why do you think people might read fantasy?
3. Fantasy is sometimes considered second-rate fiction--i.e., that it is not good enough to be studied in academe. Why do you think this is true? Do you think it is a valid argument?
4. What might someone learn from reading fantasy?
Essay Topic 3
Amos Trask is a former pirate who commits many crimes during his days of piracy. Discuss the following:
1. Amos is pardoned for his crimes by Lyam when Lyam becomes king. Does this seem fair that Amos can just be forgiven his past because he helped Arutha and Anita?
2. Should a king or President or other head of state have the right of pardon? Why or why not.
3. Is there a place in the legal system for pardons? Argue for or against the idea.
This section contains 1,325 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)