• The story opens with Pug and Laurie working in the swamp where they are slaves to the Tsurani.
• Pug is from the land called Midkemia and was an apprentice to a sorcerer but doesn't tell anyone.
• Anyone that is not Tsurani is called barbarian. The overseer is named Nogamu although he is a slave too.
• Pug and Laurie cut a rotten tree which pushes Pug in the water. Laurie tries to save him and Nogamu wants to punish Laurie for that.
• A Tsurani comes by and openly rebukes Nogamu.
• Nogamu sneaks into Pug and Laurie's tent to kill them but that take his knife and stab him.
• The same Tsurani who had rebuked Nogamu earlier came by, saved the boys and hanged Nogamu.
• The Tsurani is the son of the owner and asks the boys who should be the new overseer.
• They tell him of...
This section contains 2,208 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)