|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. There were two characters that played cards. Which name from the names below name one of the card-playing characters?
2. Who is the cap maker?
3. Who do the boarders say that Kostilyoff thought he would find his wife in bed with?
4. There were two characters that played checkers. Which name below names one of the characters playing checkers?
5. What are the boarders saying is the negative thing about Anna's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which characters are playing cards and who is watching them?
2. Who sits at a table drinking at the beginning of the fourth act?
3. What is Anna's health issue?
4. Why did the boarders say that Kostilyoff came around looking for his wife?
5. What is Luka's first story about?
6. What is Luka's second story about?
7. Which character is currently being beaten and abused in Act 1, and by who?
8. Why does Vassilisa exit in a rage from the boarding house?
9. What do Kleshtch and Tartar say about Luka?
10. Where does Luka announce that he is leaving to, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about the exchange between Vassilisa and Pepel and the exchange they had in the second act. What is Vassilisa's initial question to Pepel and what is his response? What business arrangement does she propose to him? Does Pepel accept it?
Essay Topic 2
Nastya's character is wrapped up in romance throughout the entire play. Write an essay discussing all of the ways the writer has Nastya display this.
Essay Topic 3
Write about the conversation that is had about honor and conscience in the first act. Compare and contrast what each of the characters' stances on these two points are.
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)