|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the lighting of the opening act?
2. At the end of the second act, it says that someone appears. Who is it?
3. There were two characters that were porters. Which name below names one of the characters that was a porter?
4. What is in the center of the room of the first set?
5. Which character is an alcoholic?
Short Essay Questions
1. What business proposal does Vassilisa present to Pepel?
2. What is Zob doing while playing cards?
3. What does Natasha say in response to Nastya's story?
4. Who vows melodramatically to leave?
5. What is missing from the set, or the boardinghouse, in the fourth act?
6. What does Nastya admit at the beginning of the fourth act?
7. What is Natasha's response to Pepel and what does Luka say about it?
8. What do all the characters relate goodness to?
9. What do Kleshtch and Tartar say about Luka?
10. What happens when Vassilisa confronts Pepel, asking him if he loves her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about Luka's second story that he tells the boarders. Why does he tell the story? Who is Luka telling the story to? What is the lesson to be learned from his story?
Essay Topic 2
The original setting changes for the third act. Describe the setting for the third act. Analyze why the writer made this setting change and how it contributes to the mood and theme of the play. How does this setting play into the characters' roles for the third act?
Essay Topic 3
Nastya's character is wrapped up in romance throughout the entire play. Write an essay discussing all of the ways the writer has Nastya display this.
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)