|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is looking for his wife in Act 1?
2. There were two characters that played cards. Which name below names one of the card-playing characters?
3. What does the writer say that the opening set is similar to?
4. Which character is wondering who beat him up the previous day?
5. Who says that Anna is probably better off dead?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nastya do at the beginning of the third act?
2. Why does Vassilisa exit in a rage from the boarding house?
3. What does Nastya admit at the beginning of the fourth act?
4. How does the play end for the Actor?
5. What is Zob doing while playing cards?
6. What happens when the Baron threatens to strike Nastya?
7. What do all the characters relate goodness to?
8. What is missing from the set, or the boardinghouse, in the fourth act?
9. What does Bubnoff reveal about his past?
10. What is the mood that is created by the first set?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about the conversation that is had about honor and conscience in the first act. Compare and contrast what each of the characters' stances on these two points are.
Essay Topic 2
Nastya's character is wrapped up in romance throughout the entire play. Write an essay discussing all of the ways the writer has Nastya display this.
Essay Topic 3
Write about the newfound hope that Luka gives the Actor. What does Luka tell him about? Is the Actor interested? What important detail does Luka leave out?
This section contains 1,187 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)