|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says that there is no such thing as a hospital for alcoholism?
2. Which of these people is a part owner of the location of the first set?
3. Who is looking for his wife in Act 1?
4. Who is the policeman?
5. Which wall holds the window(s)?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kostilyoff put Luka down and what is Luka's response?
2. Why does Vassilisa exit in a rage from the boarding house?
3. What does Luka tell Anna about death?
4. What does Andrei do for a living and who does he think that Kvashnya will end up marrying?
5. Who vows melodramatically to leave?
6. What life changing event does Luka suggest to Pepel?
7. What is off about Nastya's story?
8. What quote does Kleshtch give regarding Luka?
9. What does Bubnoff reveal about his past?
10. What is Luka's second story about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tell about the situation at the beginning of the third act when Nastya is telling her love story. Why do you think Nastya keeps telling this same story repeatedly? Why do Bubnoff and the Baron ridicule her about her story? Who sticks up for Nastya?
Essay Topic 2
A lot of details about the opening set are given by the writer. Describe the opening set. Analyze how this set plays a major role in setting the mood for the play. How does this set complement the characters of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the situation when Kostilyoff finds Pepel and Vassilisa alone talking. What takes place? Do you believe that it was planned, and if so, by whom?
This section contains 1,174 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)