|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes Anna outside to get some air when she has her coughing fit?
2. Why is Pepel told to run off?
3. Who says that there is no such thing as a hospital for alcoholism?
4. Where is the hospital for alcoholism located?
5. Which character is wondering who beat him up the previous day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is caught cheating at the card game?
2. What happens when the Baron threatens to strike Nastya?
3. Why did the boarders say that Kostilyoff came around looking for his wife?
4. What are the positives and negatives that the boarders talk about regarding Anna's death?
5. What is missing from the set, or the boardinghouse, in the fourth act?
6. What does Luka say when Pepel asks him if there is a God?
7. Describe what the first set looks like.
8. Name one of the quotes that the Actor has in the fourth act?
9. How does the play end for the Actor?
10. What do Pepel, Bubnoff, and Kleshtch say about honor and conscience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about Luka's second story that he tells the boarders. Why does he tell the story? Who is Luka telling the story to? What is the lesson to be learned from his story?
Essay Topic 2
Luka tells Anna all about death. Describe the picture that Luka paints through words to Anna about what to expect with death.
Essay Topic 3
Kvashnya says, "That not for a hundred baked lobsters would she marry again" in the first act. She then is married by the fourth act. Why do you think that is? What are the contributing factors to her changing her mind? How do you think Kleshtch was able to foreshadow her marriage to Miedviedieff?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)