|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the pilot asked to draw by the little prince?
2. The little prince is proud of his flower. What is the pilot proud of?
3. How big is the little prince's planet, as described in Chapter IV?
4. What name does a human scholar give little prince's planet?
5. When he begins having problems with his flower, the prince makes a very big decision. What is it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the meaning of the title The Little Prince?
2. The last line of Chapter 9 is "She was such a proud flower." Pride is a theme through out the book. Give some other examples of pride.
3. Why is the little prince bored on the planet of the king?
4. The little prince wants to help the tippler. Why is he unable to help?
5. The narrator of the book is introduced in Chapter 1. He is not an anonymous narrator but a character in the story. What does the first chapter reveal about him?
6. The author uses light throughout the book to evoke an emotional tone. What does the sunset evoke?
7. In a fable everything is symbolic. What is the symbolism of the desert as the central place in the story?
8. Why does the narrator keep showing his drawing to adults throughout his life?
9. What is the symbolism of the little prince not pulling out the newly sprouted seed which he does not recognize?
10. Why doesn't the little prince answer questions that the pilot asks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In The Little Prince none of the characters are given regular names. They are all identified by a title. This is a very common practice in fables. Why is a fable about types of characters and not specific individuals?
Essay Topic 2
Who is the protagonist in the story? Write an essay on how the protagonist changes as the story progresses. Specify several shifts of perception which this character goes through.
Essay Topic 3
Light is a strong visual image in The Little Prince. Name some of the different forms in which light appears in the book. Write a short essay on the use of light in The Little Prince.
This section contains 1,164 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)