|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The little prince discovers a rose garden. What is it about this rose garden that makes him so sad?
(a) He feels inferior to to the flowers.
(b) He believes there is too much beauty to take in.
(c) He falls in love with all the roses.
(d) He realizes that his flower is not the only one of her kind in the universe.
2. What does the little prince hope to see from the high peak in Chapter XIX?
(a) "The whole planet at one glance and all the people..."
(b) "The wide range of the galaxy and its inhabitants..."
(c) "The way to go home..."
(d) "The range of choices available to me..."
3. In the rose garden, the little prince has to face a difficult fact about himself. What is it?
(a) That the things he thought were so rare and valuable are quite common and small.
(b) That he will never be able to love his flower as he wants to.
(c) That he made a terrible mistake by leaving his planet.
(d) That he doesn't care much about his life.
4. Why does the geographer think someone who drinks too much is not a reliable source?
(a) Because he would get lost too often.
(b) Because he would forget to come back and give a report to the geographer.
(c) Because he would spend all his times in bars and none making maps and observations.
(d) Because he would see double and report two mountains where there was only one.
5. What do the flowers in the rose garden remind him of?
(a) They remind him of his mother and how much she loved roses.
(b) They remind him that all flowers are silly and to be avoided.
(c) They remind him that he is afraid of thorns.
(d) They all look like his flower.
6. On his own planet, what does the little prince use the extinct volcano for?
(a) A footstool.
(b) It is useless, so he doesn't use it at all.
(c) A landmark to find his way home.
(d) An oven.
7. Where does the geographer advise the little prince to visit next?
(a) Go home and take care of the flower.
(b) Go back to the lamplighter and learn from him.
(c) Earth, because it has a good reputation.
(d) Go to the rings of Saturn and visit the third moon.
8. What does the little prince know about the pilot's engine in Chapter XXVI?
(a) That it is going to be a long time before it gets mended.
(b) That the snake has stolen the crucial parts.
(c) That the pilot has fixed it.
(d) That it will never run.
9. How many men does the flower think there are on earth?
(a) Three billion.
(b) Perhaps 10,000 or more. She is not sure.
(c) Six or seven.
(d) Only the pilot.
10. What is the army of lamplighters on earth compared to?
(a) A ballet or opera.
(c) The changing of the seasons.
11. What does the flower in the desert know of men?
(a) She knows only what the snake has told her.
(b) She is afraid to tell the little prince what she knows, so terrifying is her knowledge.
(c) She once saw a caravan passing. She believes they were the only men in existence.
(d) She knows everything about the world of men for she once lived in a great garden of roses.
12. The lamplighter says a day on his planet is how long?
(a) One minute.
(b) One day.
(c) One year.
(d) A hundred years.
13. Is the little prince interested in buying the pills?
(a) No. He would rather use the time to walk towards a spring of fresh water.
(b) Yes. He thinks his flower will enjoy not having to be watered.
(c) Yes. He is taking them with him as he goes back to the desert.
(d) Yes. He thinks they will be a good investment and produce income.
14. How does the geographer define ephemeral?
(a) "Hard to quantify."
(b) "In the area of fumeral springs."
(c) "Inside eternal beings."
(d) "In danger of speedy disappearance."
15. In the rose garden, when the little prince realizes the truth of his life and of the things he loves, what does he do?
(a) He runs and runs, as fast as his little legs will go.
(b) He stamps his little foot and shouts for help.
(c) He gives up and goes back to the desert.
(d) He lays down in the grass and cries.
Short Answer Questions
1. After arriving on the earth and meeting his first earth creature, what does the little prince do?
2. How many people, approximately, does the narrator say live on the earth?
3. What is the final drawing which the little prince requests from the pilot?
4. Who is dying of thirst in the desert?
5. On the lamplighter's planet, how many strides does it take to circle the planet?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)