|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Herta been making to celebrate the success of the Riech in Chapter 17?
2. What is the name of Caroline's new elevator operator?
3. What game is everyone playing at the Vanderbilt party in Chapter 18?
4. What color triangles do the Jules wear?
5. Who drills the girls on English verbs while they are in the Revier?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Caroline treat Paul once she has found his child in Chapter 36? Do you think this is right?
2. What does Herta warn Commandant Suhren about in Chapter 20?
3. What does Herta’s escape from Ravensbruck in Chapter 26 reveal about her character?
4. How do Zuzanna and Kasia escape from Ravensbruck?
5. What are the results of the Nuremburg trials for the guards and doctors of Ravensbruck?
6. What happens to Fritz in Chapter 17?
7. What is Kasia’s reaction to meeting Marthe?
8. What is the camp’s reaction to the rabbits?
9. What is Kasia’s reaction when she learns that Matka is gone?
10. What does Rena ask Caroline when she returns to France? What is Caroline’s reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It could be argued that one of the main reasons why Halina is removed from the Revier and killed is because there were concerns that Herta was a lesbian. Find evidence of this argument in the text and discuss whether you agree or disagree with these allegations.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 3, Herta saves her friend Pippi from being raped. This is a complicated chapter. What does this incident, and Herta’s attitude toward Pippi reveal about her character?
Essay Topic 3
During the novel, Matka’s ring is mentioned many times. What does this ring symbolize to Kasia?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)