|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the psychologist that comes to the camp in Chapter 23?
2. What does Herta hide from Dr. Gebhardt in Chapter 17?
3. What is the charity event Caroline creates while in Paris in Chapter 36?
4. What does Herta do to relieve stress?
5. What is Herta dressed as at the Christmas party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Herta’s escape from Ravensbruck in Chapter 26 reveal about her character?
2. What does Caroline learn about Paul and Rena in Chapter 18?
3. How is Paul and Caroline’s relationship when she first gets to France?
4. Why does Kasia not want to name the baby Halina?
5. What is Kasia’s reaction when she learns that Matka is gone?
6. What is Kasia’s reaction to meeting Marthe?
7. What does Herr Fenstermacher do for Zuzanna on Christmas? What does this do for her?
8. How does Caroline treat Paul once she has found his child in Chapter 36? Do you think this is right?
9. What does Caroline’s interaction with Mms Bertillion reveal about Caroline’s personality?
10. What does Rena ask Caroline when she returns to France? What is Caroline’s reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapters 5 and 8, Matka uses her ability to speak German and her German heritage to gain special favor with the Nazis. Kasia is outraged by this. What does Matka sacrifice throughout the text to protect her family?
Essay Topic 2
How does Marta Hall Kelly intertwine the theme of love throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
There are many different languages spoken throughout the text. What does language symbolize in this novel? Discuss times that language played an important role in the text.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)