|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Betty's reaction when Caroline tells her that Paul and Rena have been arrested?
2. When does Germany take Paris?
3. What announcement does M. Bernard make while Caroline and Paul are at dinner in Chapter 1?
4. What is Herta's first impression of Herr Commandant?
5. What type of business does Rena own?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Caroline’s relationship like with Pia?
2. Herta and Fritz have a tense interaction when she arrives at Ravensbruck. What does this reveal about her personality?
3. In Chapter 14 we meet Binz. What type of person is Binz?
4. Describe Caroline’s first impression of Paul.
5. What is the first interaction between Zuzanna and Kasia? What does this tell us about their relationship?
6. Does Herta have a lot of female friends before her life at Ravensbruck? What does this tell us about her?
7. What dose Caroline’s interaction with Priscilla Huff in Chapter 12 reveal about her personality?
8. In Chapter 1, Caroline warns Paul not to get too political during his speech. Why is that?
9. Martha Hall Kelly writes the character of Herta’s father as a Jewish sympathizer. Why do you think she made that choice?
10. What does the Polish Underground provide for Kasia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many different languages spoken throughout the text. What does language symbolize in this novel? Discuss times that language played an important role in the text.
Essay Topic 2
How does Marta Hall Kelly intertwine the theme of love throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Is Herta a redeemable character? Why or why not?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)