|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Hightower after the delivery of the baby?
2. What does the old man holler out while waiting on the train to Jefferson?
3. What does Miss Burden insist that Christmas do every day to prove his faithfulness?
4. How does the relationship between Christmas and Miss Burden evolve?
5. What does the sheriff tell Byron he will do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hightower mean when he says the fading afternoon light is audible?
2. Other than the fact that he is a good person, why does Hightower feel the need to help Christmas?
3. What does Hightower finally realize as he sits at his window watching the fading light?
4. Why does Byron force an encounter with Brown after Brown flees from Lena in the cabin?
5. Explain this statement made by Christmas: "Whether they are seventeen or fortyseven, when they finally come to surrender completely, it's going to be in words."
6. Why do the Negroes of Mottstown support Mr. Hines who preaches white supremacy in Negro churches?
7. Explain why Christmas' arrival in the town of Mottstown means that he has come full circle in his life.
8. Why does Christmas feel he will be safe at Miss Burden's place?
9. Why are the townspeople anxious to find Miss Burden's killer?
10. Explain the irony in Miss Burden's nearly nymphomaniac behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The town of Jefferson seems to be filled with misfits. This is not uncommon in the Southern Gothic style of literature which Faulkner writes. Why do you think there are so many unusual or eccentric characters? Could the story be told with more average characters or is it necessary to populate the town with eccentrics? Explain in context with other Southern Gothic literature with which you may be familiar.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the month of August in the book? What does its position in the year symbolize. The month of August is especially poignant for a few characters. Who are they and what does August mean for them?
Essay Topic 3
Christmas is in an impossible situation in that he is neither black nor white; and he does not know who his parents are. How might Christmas' life had been altered if even one of these elements had been stabilized for him? Explain.
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)