|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does Hightower accuse Byron of doing?
2. How does the fading afternoon light seem to Hightower?
3. What does Joe Brown do after the murder?
4. What does Christmas come to understand about women?
5. Why do the townspeople leave the old couple alone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolism of the odor in Hightower's house?
2. Why is Hightower so upset that Byron has asked for his help with the situations regarding Lena and Christmas?
3. How does Faulkner show that women are more realistic and more forgiving in this chapter?
4. Why does Byron force an encounter with Brown after Brown flees from Lena in the cabin?
5. Why do the Negroes of Mottstown support Mr. Hines who preaches white supremacy in Negro churches?
6. As Christmas runs to avoid the law, he stops at a cabin and trades shoes with a Negro woman. What is the significance of the traded shoes?
7. Why are the townspeople anxious to find Miss Burden's killer?
8. Why does Christmas refuse to marry Miss Burden and raise a family?
9. Other than the fact that he is a good person, why does Hightower feel the need to help Christmas?
10. The cries of Lena's newborn child are significant for Byron. Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The town of Jefferson seems to be filled with misfits. This is not uncommon in the Southern Gothic style of literature which Faulkner writes. Why do you think there are so many unusual or eccentric characters? Could the story be told with more average characters or is it necessary to populate the town with eccentrics? Explain in context with other Southern Gothic literature with which you may be familiar.
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Hightower is really forced to resign from his minister position? Was it because his wife disgraced him with improper behavior? Or is there some hidden story related to rumors of his homosexuality? Explain your perspective.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Christmas have trouble accepting kindnesses, especially from women? What role, if any, do the dietitician, Mrs. McEachern and Miss Burden play in his inability to receive kindness?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)