|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Christmas killed?
2. Why does Byron need Hightower to get involved with Christmas' plight?
3. What final horror is inflicted on Christmas before he dies?
4. What does the deputy tell the sheriff about Lena?
5. What does Byron Bunch tell Hightower he is going to do with the cabin on Miss Burden's property?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Christmas refuse to marry Miss Burden and raise a family?
2. Explain why Christmas' arrival in the town of Mottstown means that he has come full circle in his life.
3. How does Faulkner show that women are more realistic and more forgiving in this chapter?
4. How does Mrs. Hines indirectly cause the death of Christmas, her grandson?
5. As Christmas runs to avoid the law, he stops at a cabin and trades shoes with a Negro woman. What is the significance of the traded shoes?
6. What does Hightower finally realize as he sits at his window watching the fading light?
7. Why does Byron force an encounter with Brown after Brown flees from Lena in the cabin?
8. Why does Percy Grimm castrate Christmas while he is still alive?
9. Why are the townspeople anxious to find Miss Burden's killer?
10. Why is Hightower so upset that Byron has asked for his help with the situations regarding Lena and Christmas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the month of August in the book? What does its position in the year symbolize. The month of August is especially poignant for a few characters. Who are they and what does August mean for them?
Essay Topic 2
Does Faulkner end the novel on a note of hope or the continuance of the futility of man's struggle to understand his existence? Explain
Essay Topic 3
Why does Christmas have trouble accepting kindnesses, especially from women? What role, if any, do the dietitician, Mrs. McEachern and Miss Burden play in his inability to receive kindness?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)