|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lena's brother?
2. Where did Mrs. Hightower go on Saturday nights?
3. Who does the dietician approach to exact her revenge on Christmas?
4. What happens when Mr. McEachern calls Bobbie a harlot?
5. What does Mame tuck into Christmas' pocket?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Byron Bunch's first impressions of Joe Christmas?
2. Why do the townspeople believe that the former Reverend Hightower's wife had disgraced him?
3. Why does Byron regret telling Lena that the man in town named Joe Brown is the man she knows as Lucas Burch?
4. How does the Hightower marriage eventually end?
5. How do the people get their first indications that something is awry in the Hightower marriage?
6. What revelations does Brown share when he shows up in town after the murder?
7. Why has Lena left her home in Alabama?
8. Why does Christmas toss away the food Mrs. McEachern brings him after Mr. McEachern has beaten him?
9. Joe leaves the whorehouse and enters "the street which was to run for fifteen years." What is the significance of this statement?
10. How does trouble find Byron anyway?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is much hypocrisy throughout the novel. Identify three situations of hypocritical behavior and what makes them prime examples of hypocrisy.
Essay Topic 2
Faith is an important theme in the novel. Give examples of faith from the book that exemplify what is expected of people of faith as well as some examples of behavior which is counter to those with supposed religious beliefs. What points is Faulkner trying to make by pointing out the disparity in beliefs and actions?
Essay Topic 3
Another literary technique Faulkner uses is to give a voice to the towns of Jefferson and Mottstown. Why does Faulkner do this? How can one voice encompass the opinions and feelings of all the people in a town? What would the reader not know if these voices were not apparent in the story?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)