|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Christmas do on the side without telling Miss Burden?
(a) Sells whiskey
(b) Sees other women
(c) Sells drugs
(d) Takes art classes
2. What does Brown give to the Negro boy in the woods?
(a) A note asking for the reward money to be brought to Brown in the woods
(b) The threat of a beating if the boy tells about Brown's location
(c) A harmonica to play so he will not be scared in the dark woods
(d) A piece of candy he had in his pocket
3. Who do the townspeople think inspired Christmas to attempt an escape?
(d) Mrs. Hines
4. What does Christmas come to understand about women?
(a) They are basically the same no matter what their age.
(b) When they finally surrender completely, it is going to be in words.
(c) Some are always going to be good and some are always going to be bad for you.
(d) They are all very moody at times.
5. How does Milly Hines die?
(a) In a house fire
(b) By taking sleeping pills
(c) Giving birth to Christmas
(d) In a car accident
Short Answer Questions
1. Instead of leaving town like the sheriff thinks he will do, what does Byron do that night?
2. What happens after Byron approaches Brown near the railroad tracks?
3. How old is Miss Burden when she discovers him stealing food from her house?
4. What does Hightower learn when he returns to town?
5. What final horror is inflicted on Christmas before he dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Christmas' arrival in the town of Mottstown means that he has come full circle in his life.
2. Other than the fact that he is a good person, why does Hightower feel the need to help Christmas?
3. How does Mrs. Hines indirectly cause the death of Christmas, her grandson?
4. Explain the irony in Miss Burden's nearly nymphomaniac behavior?
5. Why does Christmas feel he will be safe at Miss Burden's place?
6. Why are the townspeople anxious to find Miss Burden's killer?
7. Why do the Negroes of Mottstown support Mr. Hines who preaches white supremacy in Negro churches?
8. Why does Christmas refuse to marry Miss Burden and raise a family?
9. Explain this statement made by Christmas: "Whether they are seventeen or fortyseven, when they finally come to surrender completely, it's going to be in words."
10. What does Hightower mean when he says the fading afternoon light is audible?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)