|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Christmas finds that Miss Burden's behavior is like that of a what?
(c) preacher's wife
2. Why does Byron need Hightower to get involved with Christmas' plight?
(a) Because Hightower is also a lawyer
(b) Because Hightower is Christmas' gay lover
(c) Because Hightower is still a man of God
(d) Because Hightower knows people in high places
3. Who does Byron bring to Hightower's house?
(a) Lucas Burch
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Gould
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Hines
(d) Lena's parents
4. What favor does Byron ask of Hightower?
(a) To talk to Christmas about the murder of Miss Burden
(b) To bring his medical book to the cabin and deliver Lena's baby
(c) To consider practicing as a minister once again
(d) To lend him enough money to leave town
5. Of what does Hightower accuse Byron of doing?
(a) Hiding the whereabouts of Lena's former lover
(b) Running bootleg whiskey with Christmas
(c) Initiating an inappropriate relationship with the pregnant Lena
(d) Selling out Christmas to help his pregnant girlfriend's lover get the thousand-dollar reward
Short Answer Questions
1. A negro awakens the sheriff at his home to tell him that a white man has terrorized some black people ____________.
2. What does the deputy tell the sheriff about Lena?
3. What does Christmas come to understand about women?
4. What does Brown give to the Negro boy in the woods?
5. What does Joe Brown do after the murder?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Hightower so upset that Byron has asked for his help with the situations regarding Lena and Christmas?
2. New life has significance in more than one way in this chapter. Explain.
3. How does Mrs. Hines indirectly cause the death of Christmas, her grandson?
4. How does Christmas know that he has run far enough for now?
5. How does Faulkner show that women are more realistic and more forgiving in this chapter?
6. Other than the fact that he is a good person, why does Hightower feel the need to help Christmas?
7. Why do the Negroes of Mottstown support Mr. Hines who preaches white supremacy in Negro churches?
8. As Christmas runs to avoid the law, he stops at a cabin and trades shoes with a Negro woman. What is the significance of the traded shoes?
9. Explain the irony in Miss Burden's nearly nymphomaniac behavior?
10. What does Hightower mean when he says the fading afternoon light is audible?
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)