|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Christmas eat while on the run?
(a) cheese and bread
(c) rotten fruit and hard corn
2. What does the old man do when he hears that Christmas has killed a white woman?
(a) He offers him refuge in his home.
(b) He visits Christmas in jail.
(c) He beats him with a stick.
(d) He provides bail.
3. Why does Hightower think he let down the people of Jefferson?
(a) Because he was not very high up in his class at the seminary
(b) Because he was not a very good fund raiser
(c) Because he tried to support church leadership instead of tending to the spiritual needs of the people.
(d) Because he wanted to allow Negroes to attend services
4. What are the townspeople eager for over Miss Burden's death?
(a) the process of justice
(b) a conviction
(c) a suspect
5. Who does Byron bring to Hightower's house?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Gould
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Hines
(c) Lucas Burch
(d) Lena's parents
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hightower learn when he returns to town?
2. How does Milly Hines die?
3. What does Mrs. Hines reveal to Hightower?
4. What does Miss Burden leave out for Christmas every Saturday?
5. What does the deputy tell the sheriff about Lena?
Short Essay Questions
1. The cries of Lena's newborn child are significant for Byron. Why?
2. How does Christmas know that he has run far enough for now?
3. Other than the fact that he is a good person, why does Hightower feel the need to help Christmas?
4. What does Hightower finally realize as he sits at his window watching the fading light?
5. Why do the Negroes of Mottstown support Mr. Hines who preaches white supremacy in Negro churches?
6. Why does Percy Grimm castrate Christmas while he is still alive?
7. What does Hightower mean when he says the fading afternoon light is audible?
8. Why does Christmas refuse to marry Miss Burden and raise a family?
9. Why does Christmas feel he will be safe at Miss Burden's place?
10. As Christmas runs to avoid the law, he stops at a cabin and trades shoes with a Negro woman. What is the significance of the traded shoes?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)