|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much is the reward for the apprehension of Miss Burden's murderer?
(a) Five thousand dollars
(b) Twenty thousand dollars
(c) A thousand dollars
(d) Fifty thousand dollars
2. Why does Hightower think he let down the people of Jefferson?
(a) Because he was not a very good fund raiser
(b) Because he wanted to allow Negroes to attend services
(c) Because he was not very high up in his class at the seminary
(d) Because he tried to support church leadership instead of tending to the spiritual needs of the people.
3. What does Christmas do on the side without telling Miss Burden?
(a) Sees other women
(b) Takes art classes
(c) Sells drugs
(d) Sells whiskey
4. How do the authorities know where Christmas is hiding?
(a) He is seen running to his hiding place.
(b) Jim Brown tells out of vengeance.
(c) Christmas gives himself up.
(d) Some nosy neighbors call the police.
5. Who moves into the cabin with Christmas?
(a) Lena Grove
(c) Byron Brown
(d) Lukas Burch
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Milly Hines die?
2. What does Hightower understand when he hears the choir's songs emanating from his old church?
3. What does Hightower ask Lena to do when he returns to the cabin later that day?
4. Why does Byron need Hightower to get involved with Christmas' plight?
5. Why will Lena not accept Byron's marriage proposal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Christmas refuse to marry Miss Burden and raise a family?
2. How does Christmas know that he has run far enough for now?
3. What does Hightower mean when he says the fading afternoon light is audible?
4. Why does Percy Grimm castrate Christmas while he is still alive?
5. As Christmas runs to avoid the law, he stops at a cabin and trades shoes with a Negro woman. What is the significance of the traded shoes?
6. How does Mrs. Hines indirectly cause the death of Christmas, her grandson?
7. How does Faulkner show that women are more realistic and more forgiving in this chapter?
8. What is the symbolism of the odor in Hightower's house?
9. Explain the irony in Miss Burden's nearly nymphomaniac behavior?
10. Explain this statement made by Christmas: "Whether they are seventeen or fortyseven, when they finally come to surrender completely, it's going to be in words."
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)