|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To where does Miss Burden make arrangements for Christmas to go?
(a) A negro college
(b) Auto mechanic school
(c) Back to Chicago
(d) Florida for a vacation
2. Who moves into the cabin with Christmas?
(a) Lukas Burch
(b) Lena Grove
(c) Byron Brown
3. What does Christmas trade a black woman for when he is on the run?
(c) a Bible
4. How much is the reward for the apprehension of Miss Burden's murderer?
(a) Fifty thousand dollars
(b) A thousand dollars
(c) Twenty thousand dollars
(d) Five thousand dollars
5. Where is Christmas finally able to relax and sleep?
(a) In an abandoned mine
(b) In the wagon of a stranger
(c) In a ditch
(d) In an old cabin
6. What does Hightower learn when he returns to town?
(a) That Byron wants to see Christmas hanged
(b) That Byron has quit his job and left town without saying goodbye
(c) That Byron has admitted to murdering Miss Burden
(d) That Byron has stolen money from his Bible
7. The baby's first cry also has a strong emotional release for Byron. Why?
(a) He knows that he has no way of repaying Hightower for his kindness.
(b) Byron's former wife had died during childbirth.
(c) He realizes that he has been in denial that Lena has borne another man's child.
(d) The child will be another bastard born in a difficult time in the South.
8. Who does Byron bring to Hightower's house?
(a) Lucas Burch
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Hines
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Gould
(d) Lena's parents
9. What does the sheriff tell Byron he will do?
(a) Send Joe Brown/Lucas Burch to the cabin that night
(b) Give Byron a ride to the train station
(c) Provide extra protection for Lena in the cabin
(d) Let Byron talk to Christmas about the murder
10. Why do the townspeople leave the old couple alone?
(a) Because the old woman talks too much
(b) Because the old couple does not want to be bothered
(c) Because the old couple has a contagious disease
(d) Because the man preaches to Negroes and acts crazy in public
11. What does the deputy tell the sheriff about Lena?
(a) That Lena is nothing but a troublemaker and should be run out of town.
(b) That Joe Brown is also Lucas Burch and the father of Lena's unborn child.
(c) That Lena has asked the deputy to help her find Lucas Burch.
(d) That Lucas Burch is trying to find Lena.
12. Why will Lena not accept Byron's marriage proposal?
(a) Because Byron is of a different religious belief
(b) Because Byron is sexually unattractive to her
(c) Because Byron does not make enough money to support her
(d) Because she has not seen Joe Brown/Lucas Burch yet
13. What are the townspeople eager for over Miss Burden's death?
(a) a conviction
(c) the process of justice
(d) a suspect
14. What does Miss Burden leave out for Christmas every Saturday?
(a) A to-do list
(b) A Bible lesson
(c) A paycheck
(d) A meal in the kitchen
15. What does the old woman instinctively know about Christmas without even seeing him?
(a) That he will be hanged for his crime
(b) That he is their grandson
(c) That he is not capable of murder
(d) That he is a murderer
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hightower understand when he hears the choir's songs emanating from his old church?
2. Why do the townspeople virtually ignore Miss Burden?
3. Where does Christmas go when he escapes from jail and where he is eventually killed?
4. Of what does Hightower accuse Byron of doing?
5. Christmas finds that Miss Burden's behavior is like that of a what?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)