|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the old man holler out while waiting on the train to Jefferson?
(a) Saints be praised!
(b) Bitchery and abomination!
(c) Hellfire and brimstone!
(d) Hell won't have this mess!
2. What does Mrs. Hines reveal to Hightower?
(a) That she respects his position in the community
(b) That she would like to lead a choir someday
(c) That she has never been to Jefferson before
(d) That Christmas is the bastard son of their deceased daughter, Milly
3. What does Brown give to the Negro boy in the woods?
(a) A piece of candy he had in his pocket
(b) The threat of a beating if the boy tells about Brown's location
(c) A harmonica to play so he will not be scared in the dark woods
(d) A note asking for the reward money to be brought to Brown in the woods
4. What favor does Byron ask of Hightower?
(a) To bring his medical book to the cabin and deliver Lena's baby
(b) To talk to Christmas about the murder of Miss Burden
(c) To consider practicing as a minister once again
(d) To lend him enough money to leave town
5. Of what does Hightower accuse Byron of doing?
(a) Hiding the whereabouts of Lena's former lover
(b) Running bootleg whiskey with Christmas
(c) Initiating an inappropriate relationship with the pregnant Lena
(d) Selling out Christmas to help his pregnant girlfriend's lover get the thousand-dollar reward
6. What does Hightower learn when he returns to town?
(a) That Byron has quit his job and left town without saying goodbye
(b) That Byron has admitted to murdering Miss Burden
(c) That Byron wants to see Christmas hanged
(d) That Byron has stolen money from his Bible
7. How is Christmas killed?
(a) Grimm shoots Christmas as he tries to surrender.
(b) Grimm empties his revolver at Christmas who is hiding behind an overturned table.
(c) Grimm's men all open fire through the windows of the building.
(d) Christmas tries to protect Hightower and steps in front of the bullets.
8. Where is Christmas finally able to relax and sleep?
(a) In an old cabin
(b) In the wagon of a stranger
(c) In a ditch
(d) In an abandoned mine
9. Why does Hightower think he let down the people of Jefferson?
(a) Because he tried to support church leadership instead of tending to the spiritual needs of the people.
(b) Because he was not very high up in his class at the seminary
(c) Because he was not a very good fund raiser
(d) Because he wanted to allow Negroes to attend services
10. What does Byron do when he returns to town?
(a) Donates all his money to the church
(b) Tells his landlady that he is moving
(c) Takes all his money out of the bank
(d) Buys a new suit
11. Why do the townspeople virtually ignore Miss Burden?
(a) Because she is more intelligent than any of them
(b) Because she never married
(c) Because she is too eccentric
(d) Because she associates with Negroes
12. Why will Lena not accept Byron's marriage proposal?
(a) Because Byron is of a different religious belief
(b) Because Byron does not make enough money to support her
(c) Because she has not seen Joe Brown/Lucas Burch yet
(d) Because Byron is sexually unattractive to her
13. What does Joe Brown do after the murder?
(a) He shows up in town, idenitifies Christmas as the murderer and claims the reward.
(b) He tries to get word to Christmas that the sheriff is looking for him.
(c) He runs away from town as fast as he can.
(d) He admits to killing Miss Burden.
14. A negro awakens the sheriff at his home to tell him that a white man has terrorized some black people ____________.
(a) at a bus station
(b) at the sawmill
(c) at a restaurant
(d) at church
15. How do the authorities know where Christmas is hiding?
(a) Jim Brown tells out of vengeance.
(b) Christmas gives himself up.
(c) He is seen running to his hiding place.
(d) Some nosy neighbors call the police.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lena move into the cabin?
2. What happens after Miss Burden opens up about her family history?
3. How has Hightower always perceived his parents?
4. What does Hightower's grandfather wear during the Civil War?
5. What does the old man do when he hears that Christmas has killed a white woman?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)