|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Byron takes Lena to a _______________ so she can spend the night.
(c) bed and breakfast
2. What is Lena's hometown?
(a) Doane's Mill, Alabama
(b) Memphis, Tennessee
(c) Montgomery, Alabama
(d) Mobile, Alabama
3. What is Joe Christmas' biggest secret?
(a) He is a thief.
(b) He is part Negro.
(c) He is a bastard.
(d) He is a fugitive.
4. Where do Christmas and Brown live?
(a) In a studio apartment
(b) In a rented house
(c) In a hotel
(d) In the cabin on Miss Burden's property
5. Why is Christmas attracted to the waitress?
(a) She has a good sense of humor.
(b) She gives him extra marshmallows for his cocoa.
(c) She has a great smile.
(d) She is small and all the men seem to like her.
6. Why does Byron not tell Lena that Joe Brown is actually Lucas Burch?
(a) Because he does not want her making a fool of herself in front of the whole town.
(b) Because he wants Lena to stop poking around in things that are not her business.
(c) Because he wants Lena to return home.
(d) Because he wants her to like him.
7. Why do the townspeople think Joe Christmas has committed the murder of Miss Burden?
(a) Because he is an itinerant
(b) Because he has Negro blood
(c) Because he has murderous eyes
(d) Because he never has been any good
8. Where does the janitor take Christmas?
(a) To the movies
(b) To church
(c) To a ballgame
(d) To a different orphanage
9. In the morning, Christmas returns to the cabin and dresses in _____________________.
(a) t-shirt and jeans
(c) formal suit and suspenders
(d) suit pants, white shirt and bow tie
10. What does Christmas take from the McEachern house?
(a) His Bible
(b) All the money that Mrs. McEachern has hidden
(c) Food for a long trip
(d) Enough clean clothes for a long weekend
11. Why does Christmas quit his job at the mill?
(a) He and Brown are partners in the whiskey business.
(b) He got a better offer from another mill.
(c) He is bored with the work at the mill.
(d) He is leaving town.
12. Who is the only one who knows that Byron drives all night on Saturdays in order to conduct the choir at a distant country church and then drive home in time to go to work on Mondays?
(b) Lucas Burch
(d) Former minister Hightower
13. Where does Mr. McEachern find Christmas and Bobbie that night?
(a) Parked in the woods
(b) At a dance at a schoolroom in the country
(c) At a bar in town
(d) At the justice of the peace office
14. What does Christmas do as he stands underneath Miss Burden's bedroom window?
(a) He serenades her.
(b) He yells obscenities at her.
(c) He throws rocks at her window.
(d) He strips himself of the undergarment he wears.
15. Who is Christmas meeting on this night?
(a) His drug dealer
(b) His best friend
(c) His real father
(d) His girlfriend
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days pass before Christmas is returned to the orphanage?
2. What does Christmas do instead of having sex with the girl when it is his turn?
3. Christmas leaves the cabin taking with him _________________________.
4. What does the answer to #65 call the dietician's problem with the Christmas situation?
5. What do the other mill workers discover that Joe Christmas has been doing?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)