|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Christmas do when he asks the waitress out and she wants to return home because she has her monthly period?
(a) He ignores her.
(b) He never talks to her again.
(c) He hits her, runs away to the woods and vomits.
(d) He tells her that they can make a date for another night.
2. Why does Joe Christmas refrain from beating Joe Brown when he could have easily killed him the night in the cabin?
(a) Because Joe Brown is Joe Christmas' best friend
(b) Because Joe Christmas really wants to kill Miss Burden
(c) Because Joe Christmas does not have the heart of a killer
(d) Because Joe Brown overpowers Joe Christmas
3. What does Christmas do when he has no money to pay the answer to #112?
(a) They tell him that they will take a check.
(b) They tell him to use a credit card.
(c) He tells them he is of Negro blood and they chase him away with no thought of payment.
(d) They call the authorities on him.
4. Who befriends Hightower after twenty years of his seclusion?
(a) Byron Bunch
(b) Joe Christmas
(c) Lena Grove
(d) Miss Atkins
5. Byron tells Hightower that a ______________ discovered the fire at the Burden place yesterday morning.
(c) traveling salesman
6. What does Christmas take from the McEachern house?
(a) Enough clean clothes for a long weekend
(b) All the money that Mrs. McEachern has hidden
(c) His Bible
(d) Food for a long trip
7. Who does Byron fall in love with at first sight?
(a) The bank teller
(c) Miss Burden
(d) The choir director
8. Who did Lena live with in Doane's Mill?
(a) Her parents
(b) Her godparents
(c) Her older brother
(d) Her best friend
9. What happens as Christmas comes to in Bobbie's room?
(a) He wonders what happened to McEachern.
(b) He counts his money.
(c) He thinks he is dead.
(d) He hears Bobbie and the others prepare to depart.
10. What does Hightower do to supplement his monthly inheritance since he lost his position at the church twenty-five years ago?
(a) He has a landscaping business.
(b) He provides artistic services.
(c) He is a writer.
(d) He does people's taxes.
11. What does the dietician tell the janitor about Christmas
(a) That he is too old to stay in this orphanage
(b) That he will never be adopted
(c) That he is a nigger and will have to be sent to a nigger orphanage
(d) That he will be adopted soon
12. Who does the dietician approach to exact her revenge on Christmas?
(a) the janitor
(b) the principal
(c) the math teacher
(d) the school nurse
13. What does Christmas sell in order to buy a new suit?
(a) A heifer
(b) Some old coins
(c) Some antique farm equipment
(d) His stamp collection
14. Why does Christmas feel that something powerful is taking over his body and something irreversible is about to happen?
(a) Because he has a violent temper
(b) Because he is drunk
(c) Because he is on a new medication
(d) Because Miss Burden had been praying over him
15. Where does Mr. McEachern find Christmas and Bobbie that night?
(a) At a bar in town
(b) At a dance at a schoolroom in the country
(c) Parked in the woods
(d) At the justice of the peace office
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the answer to #65 call the dietician's problem with the Christmas situation?
2. Why does Byron not tell Lena that Joe Brown is actually Lucas Burch?
3. What is Joe Christmas' biggest secret?
4. What happens when Mr. McEachern calls Bobbie a harlot?
5. In the morning, Christmas returns to the cabin and dresses in _____________________.
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)