|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Christmas do with the alcohol in the tins?
(a) He drinks half and saves the rest.
(b) He pours it onto the ground.
(c) He drinks half and pours the rest on the ground.
(d) He drinks it all.
2. Where does the janitor take Christmas?
(a) To the movies
(b) To a ballgame
(c) To a different orphanage
(d) To church
3. What does Mrs. McEachern bring Christmas after Mr. McEachern leaves?
(a) Some hot chocolate
(b) A tray of food
(c) A Bible
(d) Some clean clothes
4. What is the demeanor of the answer to #13?
(a) Proud and contemptuous
(b) The life of the party
(c) Easygoing and happy
(d) Intelligent and serious
5. What do the other mill workers discover that Joe Christmas has been doing?
(a) Working the night shift
(b) Volunteering at the hospital
(c) Selling whiskey illegally
(d) Driving a cab
6. What is Christmas' plan?
(a) He wants to go to college.
(b) He wants to apologize to his stepfather.
(c) He wants to get a job at the sawmill.
(d) He wants to run away with Bobbie and get married.
7. Who is Lena's brother?
8. How did Mrs. Hightower die?
(a) She either fell or jumped from a Memphis hotel room.
(b) She took an overdose of sleeping pills.
(c) She had a heart attack.
(d) She was in a car accident.
9. What does Christmas announce to everyone present?
(a) That he did not mean to hurt his stepfather.
(b) That he and Bobbie are running away.
(c) That he had told McEachern that he would kill him one day.
(d) That Bobbie is not a harlot.
10. Why does Christmas decide to sleep in the stables instead of the cabin?
(a) Because he has a new horse and wants to stay close to him
(b) Because it is too hot in the cabin
(c) Because he wants to smell the horses which are masculine
(d) Because his horse is about to give birth
11. Why does Byron not tell Miss Burden about Christmas and Brown's illegal whiskey business?
(a) Because it is none of her business
(b) Because Byron does not like Miss Burden
(c) Because she approves of the whiskey sales
(d) Because she is an abolitionist
12. Byron tells Hightower that a ______________ discovered the fire at the Burden place yesterday morning.
(d) traveling salesman
13. Who did Lena live with in Doane's Mill?
(a) Her best friend
(b) Her older brother
(c) Her parents
(d) Her godparents
14. Where do Christmas and Brown live?
(a) In the cabin on Miss Burden's property
(b) In a studio apartment
(c) In a hotel
(d) In a rented house
15. What is Joe Christmas' biggest secret?
(a) He is a bastard.
(b) He is part Negro.
(c) He is a thief.
(d) He is a fugitive.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the man that Byron Bunch recalls as coming to work at the planing mill three years ago?
2. What does the dietician tell the janitor about Christmas
3. Why is Christmas shocked when he arrives at Bobbie's?
4. What do the men do to Christmas?
5. What does Christmas do when he leaves the house?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)