|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Hightower does not leave, who threatens him by beating him unconscious in the woods near his home?
(a) The Mafia
(b) A group of thugs
(c) The Ku Klux Klan
(d) The church elders
2. As Byron escorts Lena through the crowd in town talking about the fire, what does he not want Lena to hear?
(a) That Joe Christmas was murdered.
(b) That Lucas Burch was murdered.
(c) That Miss Burden was murdered
(d) That Hightower was murdered.
3. Why does Byron not tell Lena that Joe Brown is actually Lucas Burch?
(a) Because he wants Lena to return home.
(b) Because he wants her to like him.
(c) Because he does not want her making a fool of herself in front of the whole town.
(d) Because he wants Lena to stop poking around in things that are not her business.
4. Byron tells Hightower that a ______________ discovered the fire at the Burden place yesterday morning.
(d) traveling salesman
5. What does Christmas do with the answer to #77?
(a) He refuses the offering.
(b) He throws it on the floor.
(c) He accepts the gesture from Mrs. McEachern.
(d) He makes her set it outside the door.
6. What do Christmas and Brown call work at the mill after they quit?
(a) "a real back breaker"
(c) "too damn hard"
(d) "nigger's work"
7. What does Christmas announce to everyone present?
(a) That Bobbie is not a harlot.
(b) That he and Bobbie are running away.
(c) That he did not mean to hurt his stepfather.
(d) That he had told McEachern that he would kill him one day.
8. Why does Christmas decide to sleep in the stables instead of the cabin?
(a) Because he wants to smell the horses which are masculine
(b) Because it is too hot in the cabin
(c) Because his horse is about to give birth
(d) Because he has a new horse and wants to stay close to him
9. Who befriends Hightower after twenty years of his seclusion?
(a) Miss Atkins
(b) Lena Grove
(c) Byron Bunch
(d) Joe Christmas
10. What is in the six metal tins which Christmas digs up in a nearby ditch?
11. Why does Joe Christmas refrain from beating Joe Brown when he could have easily killed him the night in the cabin?
(a) Because Joe Brown is Joe Christmas' best friend
(b) Because Joe Brown overpowers Joe Christmas
(c) Because Joe Christmas does not have the heart of a killer
(d) Because Joe Christmas really wants to kill Miss Burden
12. Who does Joe Brown accuse of murdering the answer to #42?
(a) Lucas Burch
(b) Lena Grove
(d) Joe Christmas
13. What does Christmas do when he realizes that the waitress sleeps with other men for money?
(a) He says he wants her to stop.
(b) He hits her and breaks down sobbing.
(c) He never talks to her again.
(d) He says that it does not bother him.
14. What are the men in the room discussing?
(a) What would make McEachern so mad
(b) Whether Bobbie should go with Christmas
(c) Why Christmas loves Bobbie
(d) Whether or not Christmas has killed McEachern
15. What does Mr. McEachern see from his bedroom window one night?
(a) The scarecrow in the vegetable garden
(b) Two tramps scavenging for food
(c) The shadow of Christmas running by to get into an arriving car
(d) Mrs. McEachern walking in the moonlight.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mame tuck into Christmas' pocket?
2. What does Christmas take from Mrs. McEachern's secret hiding place?
3. What does Christmas do after he awakens?
4. Why is Joe ashamed when he places an order for pie and coffee?
5. What does Byron tell Hightower has happened at the Burden house?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)