|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the intention of the four boys?
(a) They want to get drunk.
(b) They are going to have sex with a Negro girl waiting inside the sawmill.
(c) They want to meet some wild girls from out of town.
(d) They want to smoke some dope inside the sawmill.
2. Where does Hightower now spend all his time?
(a) In a bar
(b) At the library
(c) In seclusion at his home
3. How do the townspeople know that Mrs. Hightower is on the verge of a breakdown?
(a) She has no interest in fundraising drives.
(b) She interrupts her husband's Sunday sermon by standing in the church aisle shrieking at him.
(c) She refuses to go to choir practice.
(d) She refuses to join in Bible study groups.
4. What does Bobbie do that lets Christmas know that she does not want to marry him?
(a) She tells him that she enjoys being a whore.
(b) She throws away his money and screams at him.
(c) She refuses to pack her clothes.
(d) She slams a door in his face.
5. What do the townspeople do after Mrs. Hightower's death?
(a) They send him to a sanitorium,
(b) They tell him to get his act together.
(c) They send him on a much-needed vacation.
(d) They force Hightower to resign, lock him out of the church and give him momey to relocate.
6. What does Lena carry to prevent them from getting dirty?
(a) Her raincoat
(b) Her shoes
(c) Her boots
(d) Her gloves
7. What does the answer to #46 discover when he finds Miss Burden?
(a) That she has been burned almost beyond recognition
(b) That she is still alive
(c) That her head has been almost severed from her body
(d) That she is incoherent
8. What is in the six metal tins which Christmas digs up in a nearby ditch?
9. What does Mr. McEachern make Christmas do later in the day after the punishment?
(a) He makes Christmas apologize.
(b) He makes Christmas stay in his room for the rest of the weekend.
(c) He makes Christmas kneel on the floor by his bed to pray.
(d) He makes Christmas vow that he will do better.
10. What does Hightower do to supplement his monthly inheritance since he lost his position at the church twenty-five years ago?
(a) He does people's taxes.
(b) He provides artistic services.
(c) He has a landscaping business.
(d) He is a writer.
11. What does Christmas do when he leaves the house?
(a) He runs and runs for fifteen years.
(b) He asks his stepmother for more money.
(c) He goes back home to ask for forgiveness.
(d) He goes to the sheriff's office to confess to killing McEachern.
12. Who does McKinley think is the father of Lena's baby?
(a) Lucas Burch
(b) Carlton Howard
(c) Mike Bowers
(d) Larry MacKenzie
13. Where does the janitor take Christmas?
(a) To church
(b) To the movies
(c) To a ballgame
(d) To a different orphanage
14. What happens one day when Christmas is taking some of the answer to #61?
(a) The dietician and her lover enter her room for an amorous encounter.
(b) Christmas breaks a valuable keepsake.
(c) Christmas falls asleep.
(d) Christmas soils his clothes.
15. How much time does Byron spend at the mill?
(a) Part-time hours
(b) Six days a week
(c) 40 hours
(d) Whatever he feels like
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Joe Brown accuse of murdering the answer to #42?
2. How many days pass before Christmas is returned to the orphanage?
3. Why was Hightower fired from his ministry position?
4. Who is Christmas meeting on this night?
5. What does Christmas do as he stands underneath Miss Burden's bedroom window?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)