|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Lena live with in Doane's Mill?
(a) Her older brother
(b) Her best friend
(c) Her parents
(d) Her godparents
2. Christmas walks into the woods and reaches a point by a small stream where he ___________________.
(a) goes swimming
(b) whittles for awhile
(c) goes fishing
(d) builds a fire and takes a nap
3. What does Christmas take from the McEachern house?
(a) Enough clean clothes for a long weekend
(b) All the money that Mrs. McEachern has hidden
(c) Food for a long trip
(d) His Bible
4. What are the men in the room discussing?
(a) Whether Bobbie should go with Christmas
(b) Why Christmas loves Bobbie
(c) What would make McEachern so mad
(d) Whether or not Christmas has killed McEachern
5. Who has been living in the cabin on the Burden property?
(a) Lena and Lucas Burch
(b) Lena and Joe Brown
(c) Lena and Joe Christmas
(d) Joe Christmas and Joe Brown
6. What does Byron tell Hightower about Lena?
(a) That he told her that she should go back home.
(b) That he told her that she is just looking for trouble by looking for Lucas Burch.
(c) That he told her that there is no one in town that fits the description of Lucas Burch.
(d) That he told Lena that Joe Brown is the Lucas Burch she seeks.
7. What do Christmas and Brown call work at the mill after they quit?
(a) "a real back breaker"
(b) "too damn hard"
(d) "nigger's work"
8. What does the dietician tell the janitor about Christmas
(a) That he is a nigger and will have to be sent to a nigger orphanage
(b) That he will be adopted soon
(c) That he will never be adopted
(d) That he is too old to stay in this orphanage
9. What does Byron tell Hightower has happened at the Burden house?
(a) A room has been added
(b) A fire
(c) A big party
(d) A drug raid
10. Why does Christmas decide to sleep in the stables instead of the cabin?
(a) Because he wants to smell the horses which are masculine
(b) Because it is too hot in the cabin
(c) Because he has a new horse and wants to stay close to him
(d) Because his horse is about to give birth
11. Why does Mr. McEachern then go to church?
(a) To ask God to rid him of the burden of Christmas.
(b) To set up the hymnals for the next day's services
(c) To ask God for help in raising Christmas
(d) To expiate his sins
12. What does the answer to #46 discover when he finds Miss Burden?
(a) That she has been burned almost beyond recognition
(b) That she is incoherent
(c) That her head has been almost severed from her body
(d) That she is still alive
13. What does Mame tuck into Christmas' pocket?
(a) A bank note
(b) A gun
(c) A knife
(d) A map
14. What is in the six metal tins which Christmas digs up in a nearby ditch?
15. What item in the dietician's bathroom at the orphanage fascinates the five-year-old Christmas?
(a) Pink toothpaste
(d) Talcum powder
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Christmas do with the alcohol in the tins?
2. Why does Byron think that he and Hightower continue to lead such solitary lives?
3. What does Bobbie call Christmas?
4. Why had Hightower wanted to come to Jefferson originally?
5. When Hightower does not leave, who threatens him by beating him unconscious in the woods near his home?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)