Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Byron tell Hightower about Lena?
(a) That he told her that there is no one in town that fits the description of Lucas Burch.
(b) That he told her that she should go back home.
(c) That he told her that she is just looking for trouble by looking for Lucas Burch.
(d) That he told Lena that Joe Brown is the Lucas Burch she seeks.
2. Why does Byron think that he and Hightower continue to lead such solitary lives?
(a) Because they do not like team events.
(b) Because they have anti-social personalities
(c) Because man is more afraid of change than of the troubles he already has experienced and those familiar to him.
(d) Because they have had disastrous experiences with women before.
3. Why does Mr. McEachern then go to church?
(a) To set up the hymnals for the next day's services
(b) To expiate his sins
(c) To ask God for help in raising Christmas
(d) To ask God to rid him of the burden of Christmas.
4. Who is the only one who knows that Byron drives all night on Saturdays in order to conduct the choir at a distant country church and then drive home in time to go to work on Mondays?
(b) Former minister Hightower
(c) Lucas Burch
5. Where does Hightower now spend all his time?
(a) In a bar
(c) At the library
(d) In seclusion at his home
6. Why is Joe ashamed when he places an order for pie and coffee?
(a) He stutters when he talks.
(b) He spills the coffee on his shirt.
(c) He is too young to drink coffee.
(d) He does not have enough money.
7. What is Christmas' plan?
(a) He wants to go to college.
(b) He wants to get a job at the sawmill.
(c) He wants to run away with Bobbie and get married.
(d) He wants to apologize to his stepfather.
8. Why does Byron not tell Lena that Joe Brown is actually Lucas Burch?
(a) Because he wants her to like him.
(b) Because he wants Lena to return home.
(c) Because he wants Lena to stop poking around in things that are not her business.
(d) Because he does not want her making a fool of herself in front of the whole town.
9. Who is Bobbie?
(a) Bobbie is Mrs. McEachern's sister.
(b) Bobbie is a waitress Christmas meets at a rundown restaurant.
(c) Bobbie is the name Christmas gives his new heifer.
(d) Bobbie is the choir leader at church.
10. Why does Byron not tell Miss Burden about Christmas and Brown's illegal whiskey business?
(a) Because it is none of her business
(b) Because she is an abolitionist
(c) Because she approves of the whiskey sales
(d) Because Byron does not like Miss Burden
11. Who is Lena's brother?
12. Why do the two men in the wagon, Armstid and Winterbottom, give Lena a ride?
(a) So she can rest awhile
(b) So she can pay them for the ride
(c) So she can give them directions
(d) So she can find Lucas
13. What does Christmas do with the waitress?
(a) They sing in the church choir.
(b) They go out drinking in another town.
(c) They go to the movies.
(d) They meet two nights a week to have sex.
14. What does Christmas do instead of having sex with the girl when it is his turn?
(a) He just pretends to have sex with her.
(b) He just talks to her.
(c) He beats her.
(d) He helps her to get away.
15. This chapter goes back in time to provide the reader with information about events. This technique is called _________________.
(b) timeline redux
(c) plot reversal
(d) chronological manipulation
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does the dietician call Christmas?
2. What does Hightower do to supplement his monthly inheritance since he lost his position at the church twenty-five years ago?
3. At whose home does Lena spend the night?
4. What does Christmas do after he awakens?
5. What does Christmas announce to everyone present?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)