|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Byron not tell Miss Burden about Christmas and Brown's illegal whiskey business?
(a) Because she approves of the whiskey sales
(b) Because she is an abolitionist
(c) Because it is none of her business
(d) Because Byron does not like Miss Burden
2. Why does Mr. McEachern then go to church?
(a) To ask God for help in raising Christmas
(b) To set up the hymnals for the next day's services
(c) To expiate his sins
(d) To ask God to rid him of the burden of Christmas.
3. Why do the two men in the wagon, Armstid and Winterbottom, give Lena a ride?
(a) So she can pay them for the ride
(b) So she can give them directions
(c) So she can find Lucas
(d) So she can rest awhile
4. Who does the dietician approach to exact her revenge on Christmas?
(a) the janitor
(b) the school nurse
(c) the math teacher
(d) the principal
5. Christmas leaves the cabin taking with him _________________________.
(a) all the spare cash he can find
(b) a girlie/gun magazine, razor, shaving brush and shaving soap
(c) a list of errands he has to accomplish today
(d) some letters he has to mail
6. As Byron escorts Lena through the crowd in town talking about the fire, what does he not want Lena to hear?
(a) That Miss Burden was murdered
(b) That Lucas Burch was murdered.
(c) That Hightower was murdered.
(d) That Joe Christmas was murdered.
7. Who is Lena's brother?
8. How does Christmas escape the McEachern house one night?
(a) He hitches a ride to the nearby bus station.
(b) He shimmies down a rope hanging from his bedroom window.
(c) He leaves when the McEacherns are at church.
(d) He pretends to go to school but runs away.
9. What does Christmas do as he stands underneath Miss Burden's bedroom window?
(a) He throws rocks at her window.
(b) He serenades her.
(c) He yells obscenities at her.
(d) He strips himself of the undergarment he wears.
10. What does Mr. McEachern see from his bedroom window one night?
(a) Two tramps scavenging for food
(b) The shadow of Christmas running by to get into an arriving car
(c) Mrs. McEachern walking in the moonlight.
(d) The scarecrow in the vegetable garden
11. What is the intention of the four boys?
(a) They want to meet some wild girls from out of town.
(b) They want to smoke some dope inside the sawmill.
(c) They are going to have sex with a Negro girl waiting inside the sawmill.
(d) They want to get drunk.
12. What does the answer to #65 call the dietician's problem with the Christmas situation?
13. Where did Mrs. Hightower go on Saturday nights?
(a) Out to dinner
(d) Choir practice
14. What does Christmas do with the alcohol in the tins?
(a) He pours it onto the ground.
(b) He drinks half and saves the rest.
(c) He drinks half and pours the rest on the ground.
(d) He drinks it all.
15. In the morning, Christmas returns to the cabin and dresses in _____________________.
(b) t-shirt and jeans
(c) suit pants, white shirt and bow tie
(d) formal suit and suspenders
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Christmas and Brown call work at the mill after they quit?
2. Why had Hightower originally come to town?
3. How much older than Lena is McKinley?
4. What does Byron tell Hightower about Lena?
5. What item in the dietician's bathroom at the orphanage fascinates the five-year-old Christmas?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)