|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Christmas quit his job at the mill?
(a) He is bored with the work at the mill.
(b) He is leaving town.
(c) He got a better offer from another mill.
(d) He and Brown are partners in the whiskey business.
2. Why do the townspeople think Joe Christmas has committed the murder of Miss Burden?
(a) Because he has murderous eyes
(b) Because he is an itinerant
(c) Because he never has been any good
(d) Because he has Negro blood
3. Who tries to prevent the answer to #46 from entering the house to check for survivors?
(a) A neighbor
(b) A policeman
(c) A sheriff's deputy
(d) A drunken man
4. What do the other mill workers discover that Joe Christmas has been doing?
(a) Driving a cab
(b) Selling whiskey illegally
(c) Volunteering at the hospital
(d) Working the night shift
5. Who does Joe Brown accuse of murdering the answer to #42?
(b) Lena Grove
(c) Lucas Burch
(d) Joe Christmas
6. Why does Byron not tell Miss Burden about Christmas and Brown's illegal whiskey business?
(a) Because Byron does not like Miss Burden
(b) Because it is none of her business
(c) Because she is an abolitionist
(d) Because she approves of the whiskey sales
7. What are the men in the room discussing?
(a) Whether or not Christmas has killed McEachern
(b) Whether Bobbie should go with Christmas
(c) Why Christmas loves Bobbie
(d) What would make McEachern so mad
8. What is the intention of the four boys?
(a) They are going to have sex with a Negro girl waiting inside the sawmill.
(b) They want to smoke some dope inside the sawmill.
(c) They want to get drunk.
(d) They want to meet some wild girls from out of town.
9. What does Byron tell Hightower about Lena?
(a) That he told her that there is no one in town that fits the description of Lucas Burch.
(b) That he told Lena that Joe Brown is the Lucas Burch she seeks.
(c) That he told her that she is just looking for trouble by looking for Lucas Burch.
(d) That he told her that she should go back home.
10. Mr. McEachern tells Christmas that the name "Christmas" is _________ and the boy will be called McEachern.
(b) too seasonal
(c) too holiday-sounding
11. At whose home does Lena spend the night?
(a) At the Holiday Inn
(b) Armstid and his wife, Martha's house
(c) At a rooming house
(d) At a bed and breakfast inn
12. Christmas walks into the woods and reaches a point by a small stream where he ___________________.
(a) goes swimming
(b) goes fishing
(c) whittles for awhile
(d) builds a fire and takes a nap
13. What topic about girls do Christmas' friends tell him about which he finds very repugnant?
(b) Going steady
14. The story transitions from an eight-year-old Christmas to Christmas at ___________________.
15. Where does the janitor take Christmas?
(a) To a different orphanage
(b) To church
(c) To a ballgame
(d) To the movies
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Christmas announce to everyone present?
2. Why does Christmas decide to sleep in the stables instead of the cabin?
3. Why do the two men in the wagon, Armstid and Winterbottom, give Lena a ride?
4. Why is Christmas attracted to the waitress?
5. Who did Lena live with in Doane's Mill?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)