|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Christmas quit his job at the mill?
(a) He is bored with the work at the mill.
(b) He and Brown are partners in the whiskey business.
(c) He is leaving town.
(d) He got a better offer from another mill.
2. What does Mrs. McEachern bring Christmas after Mr. McEachern leaves?
(a) Some hot chocolate
(b) Some clean clothes
(c) A Bible
(d) A tray of food
3. What does Hightower do to supplement his monthly inheritance since he lost his position at the church twenty-five years ago?
(a) He does people's taxes.
(b) He has a landscaping business.
(c) He is a writer.
(d) He provides artistic services.
4. Who does Joe Brown accuse of murdering the answer to #42?
(b) Joe Christmas
(c) Lena Grove
(d) Lucas Burch
5. In the morning, Christmas returns to the cabin and dresses in _____________________.
(b) formal suit and suspenders
(c) suit pants, white shirt and bow tie
(d) t-shirt and jeans
6. Joe begins to work very hard at the farm and soon Mr. McEachern gives him a new _________.
7. Christmas walks into the woods and reaches a point by a small stream where he ___________________.
(a) goes swimming
(b) builds a fire and takes a nap
(c) goes fishing
(d) whittles for awhile
8. Who befriends Hightower after twenty years of his seclusion?
(a) Byron Bunch
(b) Miss Atkins
(c) Joe Christmas
(d) Lena Grove
9. What item in the dietician's bathroom at the orphanage fascinates the five-year-old Christmas?
(a) Pink toothpaste
(c) Talcum powder
10. Byron tells Hightower that a ______________ discovered the fire at the Burden place yesterday morning.
(c) traveling salesman
11. Where does the janitor take Christmas?
(a) To a ballgame
(b) To the movies
(c) To church
(d) To a different orphanage
12. Where is Christmas headed with his three friends?
(a) To the next town
(b) To a deserted sawmill
(c) To the river
(d) To the local bar
13. Who is the only one who knows that Byron drives all night on Saturdays in order to conduct the choir at a distant country church and then drive home in time to go to work on Mondays?
(a) Former minister Hightower
(c) Lucas Burch
14. What does Christmas announce to everyone present?
(a) That he had told McEachern that he would kill him one day.
(b) That Bobbie is not a harlot.
(c) That he and Bobbie are running away.
(d) That he did not mean to hurt his stepfather.
15. What does Christmas do after he awakens?
(a) He goes to a small store nearby to buy food for breakfast.
(b) He decides to just spend the day daydreaming at the stream.
(c) He writes some letters that he has been been delaying.
(d) He cooks the fish he has caught.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Christmas do when the horse he is riding back to town runs out of energy?
2. Why do the townspeople think Joe Christmas has committed the murder of Miss Burden?
3. What does Christmas do when he realizes that the waitress sleeps with other men for money?
4. Why does Byron not tell Lena that Joe Brown is actually Lucas Burch?
5. Why does Mr. McEachern then go to church?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)