|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Christmas do when he asks the waitress out and she wants to return home because she has her monthly period?
(a) He ignores her.
(b) He hits her, runs away to the woods and vomits.
(c) He never talks to her again.
(d) He tells her that they can make a date for another night.
2. Mr. McEachern tells Christmas that the name "Christmas" is _________ and the boy will be called McEachern.
(c) too seasonal
(d) too holiday-sounding
3. Why is Lena walking down the dusty road?
(a) She likes to take walks.
(b) She is looking for the father of her child.
(c) She is taking a short cut.
(d) She is lost.
4. How many days pass before Christmas is returned to the orphanage?
5. How did Mrs. Hightower die?
(a) She took an overdose of sleeping pills.
(b) She either fell or jumped from a Memphis hotel room.
(c) She had a heart attack.
(d) She was in a car accident.
6. Byron takes Lena to a _______________ so she can spend the night.
(d) bed and breakfast
7. Who is Christmas meeting on this night?
(a) His drug dealer
(b) His best friend
(c) His girlfriend
(d) His real father
8. How does Christmas escape the McEachern house one night?
(a) He shimmies down a rope hanging from his bedroom window.
(b) He hitches a ride to the nearby bus station.
(c) He leaves when the McEacherns are at church.
(d) He pretends to go to school but runs away.
9. Why does Byron not tell Miss Burden about Christmas and Brown's illegal whiskey business?
(a) Because she is an abolitionist
(b) Because it is none of her business
(c) Because she approves of the whiskey sales
(d) Because Byron does not like Miss Burden
10. Who does Joe Brown accuse of murdering the answer to #42?
(a) Joe Christmas
(b) Lena Grove
(c) Lucas Burch
11. What happens when Mr. McEachern calls Bobbie a harlot?
(a) Christmas apologizes to Bobbie.
(b) Mr. McEachern apologizes to Bobbie.
(c) Christmas breaks a chair over his head.
(d) Christmas takes Bobbie away from the situation.
12. What does Mr. McEachern make Christmas do later in the day after the punishment?
(a) He makes Christmas vow that he will do better.
(b) He makes Christmas stay in his room for the rest of the weekend.
(c) He makes Christmas apologize.
(d) He makes Christmas kneel on the floor by his bed to pray.
13. What does Mr. McEachern want Christmas to do?
(a) Memorize his catechism studies
(b) Become a better fisherman
(c) Learn how to farm
(d) Chop more wood for the house
14. Why is Joe ashamed when he places an order for pie and coffee?
(a) He stutters when he talks.
(b) He spills the coffee on his shirt.
(c) He does not have enough money.
(d) He is too young to drink coffee.
15. Who has been living in the cabin on the Burden property?
(a) Lena and Joe Christmas
(b) Lena and Lucas Burch
(c) Lena and Joe Brown
(d) Joe Christmas and Joe Brown
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Christmas do when he realizes that the waitress sleeps with other men for money?
2. How does Mr. McEachern punish Christmas in the stable
3. What does Byron tell Hightower has happened at the Burden house?
4. What is Joe Christmas' biggest secret?
5. Why had Hightower originally come to town?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)