|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What item in the dietician's bathroom at the orphanage fascinates the five-year-old Christmas?
(a) Talcum powder
(d) Pink toothpaste
2. Mr. McEachern tells Christmas that the name "Christmas" is _________ and the boy will be called McEachern.
(b) too holiday-sounding
(d) too seasonal
3. What are the men in the room discussing?
(a) Whether Bobbie should go with Christmas
(b) Why Christmas loves Bobbie
(c) Whether or not Christmas has killed McEachern
(d) What would make McEachern so mad
4. Where did Mrs. Hightower go on Saturday nights?
(c) Choir practice
(d) Out to dinner
5. What does Christmas do with the waitress?
(a) They go to the movies.
(b) They go out drinking in another town.
(c) They sing in the church choir.
(d) They meet two nights a week to have sex.
6. Who is the man that Byron Bunch recalls as coming to work at the planing mill three years ago?
(a) Joe Miller
(b) Joe Louis
(c) Joe Christmas
(d) Joe Kennedy
7. Who makes plans to adopt Christmas and take him away from the orphanage?
(a) Miss Burden
(b) Mr. and Mrs. McEachern
(c) Rev. Hightower
(d) The janitor
8. What does Christmas do when he earns some more money?
(a) He buys some girlie magazines.
(b) He goes to a movie.
(c) He returns to the restaurant and pays the waitress the balance of what he owed for his pie and coffee.
(d) He takes his friends out drinking.
9. What does the dietician tell the janitor about Christmas
(a) That he will be adopted soon
(b) That he will never be adopted
(c) That he is a nigger and will have to be sent to a nigger orphanage
(d) That he is too old to stay in this orphanage
10. What does the answer to #46 discover when he finds Miss Burden?
(a) That she is still alive
(b) That her head has been almost severed from her body
(c) That she has been burned almost beyond recognition
(d) That she is incoherent
11. What does Christmas sell in order to buy a new suit?
(a) Some old coins
(b) His stamp collection
(c) Some antique farm equipment
(d) A heifer
12. Who does the dietician approach to exact her revenge on Christmas?
(a) the school nurse
(b) the principal
(c) the math teacher
(d) the janitor
13. What does Christmas do when he realizes that the waitress sleeps with other men for money?
(a) He says that it does not bother him.
(b) He hits her and breaks down sobbing.
(c) He never talks to her again.
(d) He says he wants her to stop.
14. Why does Christmas feel that something powerful is taking over his body and something irreversible is about to happen?
(a) Because Miss Burden had been praying over him
(b) Because he has a violent temper
(c) Because he is drunk
(d) Because he is on a new medication
15. What name does the dietician call Christmas?
(a) little rascal
(b) filthy bastard
(c) nigger bastard
(d) stupid brat
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Byron tell Hightower has happened at the Burden house?
2. How does Christmas realize that racial prejudice is not as strong in the north as it is in the south?
3. Who has been living in the cabin on the Burden property?
4. What does Christmas do after he awakens?
5. What does Lena carry to prevent them from getting dirty?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)