|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Christmas' plan?
(a) He wants to run away with Bobbie and get married.
(b) He wants to apologize to his stepfather.
(c) He wants to go to college.
(d) He wants to get a job at the sawmill.
2. What does Christmas do when the horse he is riding back to town runs out of energy?
(a) He walks the horse back to the barn.
(b) He trots the horse into town.
(c) He rests while the horse rests.
(d) He abandons the horse and runs to town.
3. Where did Mrs. Hightower go on Saturday nights?
(a) Choir practice
(c) Out to dinner
4. What does Lena carry to prevent them from getting dirty?
(a) Her boots
(b) Her raincoat
(c) Her shoes
(d) Her gloves
5. Who does Byron fall in love with at first sight?
(a) The bank teller
(b) The choir director
(d) Miss Burden
6. As Byron escorts Lena through the crowd in town talking about the fire, what does he not want Lena to hear?
(a) That Lucas Burch was murdered.
(b) That Hightower was murdered.
(c) That Miss Burden was murdered
(d) That Joe Christmas was murdered.
7. Why does Byron not tell Miss Burden about Christmas and Brown's illegal whiskey business?
(a) Because Byron does not like Miss Burden
(b) Because she is an abolitionist
(c) Because she approves of the whiskey sales
(d) Because it is none of her business
8. What does Mr. McEachern want Christmas to do?
(a) Learn how to farm
(b) Memorize his catechism studies
(c) Become a better fisherman
(d) Chop more wood for the house
9. Why does Christmas feel that something powerful is taking over his body and something irreversible is about to happen?
(a) Because he is on a new medication
(b) Because he is drunk
(c) Because he has a violent temper
(d) Because Miss Burden had been praying over him
10. How does Christmas escape the McEachern house one night?
(a) He leaves when the McEacherns are at church.
(b) He hitches a ride to the nearby bus station.
(c) He pretends to go to school but runs away.
(d) He shimmies down a rope hanging from his bedroom window.
11. Who is the other man who shows up unexpectedly at the mill for a job?
12. What is the demeanor of the answer to #13?
(a) Intelligent and serious
(b) Easygoing and happy
(c) Proud and contemptuous
(d) The life of the party
13. What does Christmas take from Mrs. McEachern's secret hiding place?
(b) A deed
(c) A diary
14. Who does Joe Brown accuse of murdering the answer to #42?
(a) Joe Christmas
(b) Lucas Burch
(c) Lena Grove
15. Who is the man that Byron Bunch recalls as coming to work at the planing mill three years ago?
(a) Joe Miller
(b) Joe Louis
(c) Joe Christmas
(d) Joe Kennedy
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. McEachern make Christmas do later in the day after the punishment?
2. Why had Hightower wanted to come to Jefferson originally?
3. How much older than Lena is McKinley?
4. What does the dietician tell the janitor about Christmas
5. When Christmas' position in the room is revealed, the dietician accuses him of __________.
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)