|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Joe Christmas refrain from beating Joe Brown when he could have easily killed him the night in the cabin?
(a) Because Joe Christmas does not have the heart of a killer
(b) Because Joe Brown is Joe Christmas' best friend
(c) Because Joe Christmas really wants to kill Miss Burden
(d) Because Joe Brown overpowers Joe Christmas
2. How does Mr. McEachern punish Christmas in the stable
(a) He makes him do heavy lifting.
(b) He berates him verbally.
(c) He whips him with a heavy strap multiple times.
(d) He makes him clean out the stalls.
3. Where does Lena go the next morning?
(a) She gets a wagon ride to Jefferson.
(b) She hitches a ride back home.
(c) She takes a train to Atlanta.
(d) She tries to get a job at the general store.
4. What does the answer to #65 call the dietician's problem with the Christmas situation?
5. Where does the janitor take Christmas?
(a) To the movies
(b) To church
(c) To a ballgame
(d) To a different orphanage
6. What does Christmas do instead of having sex with the girl when it is his turn?
(a) He helps her to get away.
(b) He just talks to her.
(c) He just pretends to have sex with her.
(d) He beats her.
7. How does Christmas realize that racial prejudice is not as strong in the north as it is in the south?
(a) He gets his first apartment in the north.
(b) It is easier for him to get a job in the north.
(c) A prositute still wants her money even after he tells her he has Negro blood.
(d) He can sit wherever he wants to in northern restaurants.
8. Who does McKinley think is the father of Lena's baby?
(a) Carlton Howard
(b) Lucas Burch
(c) Larry MacKenzie
(d) Mike Bowers
9. Where do Christmas and Brown live?
(a) In a studio apartment
(b) In the cabin on Miss Burden's property
(c) In a rented house
(d) In a hotel
10. What is in the six metal tins which Christmas digs up in a nearby ditch?
11. Who did Lena live with in Doane's Mill?
(a) Her older brother
(b) Her parents
(c) Her godparents
(d) Her best friend
12. Joe begins to work very hard at the farm and soon Mr. McEachern gives him a new _________.
13. Where does Hightower now spend all his time?
(a) In a bar
(b) At the library
(d) In seclusion at his home
14. What is Lena's hometown?
(a) Doane's Mill, Alabama
(b) Memphis, Tennessee
(c) Montgomery, Alabama
(d) Mobile, Alabama
15. What does Byron tell Hightower about Lena?
(a) That he told Lena that Joe Brown is the Lucas Burch she seeks.
(b) That he told her that she should go back home.
(c) That he told her that she is just looking for trouble by looking for Lucas Burch.
(d) That he told her that there is no one in town that fits the description of Lucas Burch.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Joe Brown accuse of murdering the answer to #42?
2. Who makes plans to adopt Christmas and take him away from the orphanage?
3. Why does Byron think that he and Hightower continue to lead such solitary lives?
4. Byron tells Hightower that a ______________ discovered the fire at the Burden place yesterday morning.
5. What does Bobbie do that lets Christmas know that she does not want to marry him?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)