|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men do to Christmas?
(a) They beat him senseless.
(b) They give him a head start.
(c) They promise not to inform on him.
(d) They let him leave without incident.
2. What does the dietician offer Christmas as a bribe?
(a) a visit to a theme park
(b) a silver dollar
(c) an afternoon at the movies
(d) a trip into town
3. Why is Christmas shocked when he arrives at Bobbie's?
(a) He finds her employers and two other men in her room.
(b) Bobbie is not packed yet.
(c) Bobbie is not there.
(d) He did not know Bobbie would have so many suitcases.
4. Who does the dietician approach to exact her revenge on Christmas?
(a) the principal
(b) the school nurse
(c) the math teacher
(d) the janitor
5. How much older than Lena is McKinley?
(a) 13 years
(b) 20 years
(c) 10 years
(d) 7 years
6. Who is Christmas meeting on this night?
(a) His drug dealer
(b) His girlfriend
(c) His real father
(d) His best friend
7. How much time does Byron spend at the mill?
(a) Part-time hours
(b) Whatever he feels like
(c) 40 hours
(d) Six days a week
8. What does Byron tell Hightower has happened at the Burden house?
(a) A room has been added
(b) A fire
(c) A big party
(d) A drug raid
9. Why does Byron not tell Miss Burden about Christmas and Brown's illegal whiskey business?
(a) Because she is an abolitionist
(b) Because Byron does not like Miss Burden
(c) Because she approves of the whiskey sales
(d) Because it is none of her business
10. What does Mrs. McEachern bring Christmas after Mr. McEachern leaves?
(a) A Bible
(b) A tray of food
(c) Some hot chocolate
(d) Some clean clothes
11. What do Christmas and Brown call work at the mill after they quit?
(a) "too damn hard"
(b) "nigger's work"
(c) "a real back breaker"
12. Why does Mr. McEachern then go to church?
(a) To expiate his sins
(b) To ask God to rid him of the burden of Christmas.
(c) To ask God for help in raising Christmas
(d) To set up the hymnals for the next day's services
13. What does Christmas do with the answer to #77?
(a) He accepts the gesture from Mrs. McEachern.
(b) He refuses the offering.
(c) He makes her set it outside the door.
(d) He throws it on the floor.
14. Why was Hightower fired from his ministry position?
(a) Because he was not technically savvy
(b) Because he took too many vacations
(c) Because he lacked the proper credentials
(d) Because of the scandal caused by his wife
15. At whose home does Lena spend the night?
(a) At a bed and breakfast inn
(b) At a rooming house
(c) At the Holiday Inn
(d) Armstid and his wife, Martha's house
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Lena left Doane's Mill?
2. Why is Joe ashamed when he places an order for pie and coffee?
3. Who has been living in the cabin on the Burden property?
4. What does Bobbie call Christmas?
5. Who does Joe Brown accuse of murdering the answer to #42?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)