|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Christmas do when he realizes that the waitress sleeps with other men for money?
(a) He never talks to her again.
(b) He hits her and breaks down sobbing.
(c) He says that it does not bother him.
(d) He says he wants her to stop.
2. Why has Lena left Doane's Mill?
(a) Because she was evicted.
(b) Because she does not like anybody there.
(c) Because it will soon be a ghost town.
(d) Because she lost her job.
3. What does the dietician offer Christmas as a bribe?
(a) a trip into town
(b) a silver dollar
(c) a visit to a theme park
(d) an afternoon at the movies
4. What is Lena's hometown?
(a) Doane's Mill, Alabama
(b) Memphis, Tennessee
(c) Montgomery, Alabama
(d) Mobile, Alabama
5. Whose services does Christmas use many times over the years?
(b) Dry cleaners
6. Who befriends Hightower after twenty years of his seclusion?
(a) Lena Grove
(b) Miss Atkins
(c) Byron Bunch
(d) Joe Christmas
7. What does Christmas do when the horse he is riding back to town runs out of energy?
(a) He rests while the horse rests.
(b) He abandons the horse and runs to town.
(c) He trots the horse into town.
(d) He walks the horse back to the barn.
8. What are the men in the room discussing?
(a) Whether Bobbie should go with Christmas
(b) Whether or not Christmas has killed McEachern
(c) What would make McEachern so mad
(d) Why Christmas loves Bobbie
9. What item in the dietician's bathroom at the orphanage fascinates the five-year-old Christmas?
(b) Talcum powder
(c) Pink toothpaste
10. What happens when Mr. McEachern calls Bobbie a harlot?
(a) Mr. McEachern apologizes to Bobbie.
(b) Christmas takes Bobbie away from the situation.
(c) Christmas apologizes to Bobbie.
(d) Christmas breaks a chair over his head.
11. How does Christmas realize that racial prejudice is not as strong in the north as it is in the south?
(a) A prositute still wants her money even after he tells her he has Negro blood.
(b) He can sit wherever he wants to in northern restaurants.
(c) It is easier for him to get a job in the north.
(d) He gets his first apartment in the north.
12. What does Christmas do when he returns to the spring?
(a) He takes another nap.
(b) He picks some berries for a treat.
(c) He eats breakfast and reads his magazine cover-to-cover.
(d) He writes in his diary.
13. What topic about girls do Christmas' friends tell him about which he finds very repugnant?
(c) Going steady
14. How much older than Lena is McKinley?
(a) 10 years
(b) 7 years
(c) 20 years
(d) 13 years
15. What does Mame tuck into Christmas' pocket?
(a) A bank note
(b) A gun
(c) A map
(d) A knife
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Mrs. Hightower die?
2. When Hightower does not leave, who threatens him by beating him unconscious in the woods near his home?
3. What does Christmas sell in order to buy a new suit?
4. How much time does Byron spend at the mill?
5. What does the answer to #46 discover when he finds Miss Burden?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)