|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Byron tell Hightower about Lena?
(a) That he told her that she is just looking for trouble by looking for Lucas Burch.
(b) That he told Lena that Joe Brown is the Lucas Burch she seeks.
(c) That he told her that there is no one in town that fits the description of Lucas Burch.
(d) That he told her that she should go back home.
2. What does Christmas sell in order to buy a new suit?
(a) Some old coins
(b) A heifer
(c) Some antique farm equipment
(d) His stamp collection
3. Who does Joe Brown accuse of murdering the answer to #42?
(a) Lucas Burch
(b) Joe Christmas
(c) Lena Grove
4. What does Hightower do to supplement his monthly inheritance since he lost his position at the church twenty-five years ago?
(a) He has a landscaping business.
(b) He does people's taxes.
(c) He provides artistic services.
(d) He is a writer.
5. Where does Hightower now spend all his time?
(a) In seclusion at his home
(b) At the library
(c) In a bar
6. How many days pass before Christmas is returned to the orphanage?
7. How does Christmas realize that racial prejudice is not as strong in the north as it is in the south?
(a) A prositute still wants her money even after he tells her he has Negro blood.
(b) He gets his first apartment in the north.
(c) He can sit wherever he wants to in northern restaurants.
(d) It is easier for him to get a job in the north.
8. Byron tells Hightower that a ______________ discovered the fire at the Burden place yesterday morning.
(a) traveling salesman
9. How much older than Lena is McKinley?
(a) 10 years
(b) 7 years
(c) 13 years
(d) 20 years
10. What does Christmas do when the horse he is riding back to town runs out of energy?
(a) He walks the horse back to the barn.
(b) He trots the horse into town.
(c) He abandons the horse and runs to town.
(d) He rests while the horse rests.
11. When Hightower does not leave, who threatens him by beating him unconscious in the woods near his home?
(a) A group of thugs
(b) The Ku Klux Klan
(c) The Mafia
(d) The church elders
12. What does Christmas do instead of having sex with the girl when it is his turn?
(a) He beats her.
(b) He just talks to her.
(c) He just pretends to have sex with her.
(d) He helps her to get away.
13. Why had Hightower wanted to come to Jefferson originally?
(a) Because he liked small towns
(b) Because it had a nice rectory
(c) Because he had an old college friend living there
(d) Because his grandfather had been killed there during the Civil War
14. Why was Hightower fired from his ministry position?
(a) Because he lacked the proper credentials
(b) Because he took too many vacations
(c) Because of the scandal caused by his wife
(d) Because he was not technically savvy
15. Why do the two men in the wagon, Armstid and Winterbottom, give Lena a ride?
(a) So she can pay them for the ride
(b) So she can rest awhile
(c) So she can find Lucas
(d) So she can give them directions
Short Answer Questions
1. How much time does Byron spend at the mill?
2. What does Lena carry to prevent them from getting dirty?
3. Why is Christmas shocked when he arrives at Bobbie's?
4. Why does Christmas decide to sleep in the stables instead of the cabin?
5. Christmas leaves the cabin taking with him _________________________.
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)