|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Christmas meeting on this night?
(a) His best friend
(b) His drug dealer
(c) His real father
(d) His girlfriend
2. What do the men do to Christmas?
(a) They beat him senseless.
(b) They promise not to inform on him.
(c) They let him leave without incident.
(d) They give him a head start.
3. What does Christmas sell in order to buy a new suit?
(a) Some antique farm equipment
(b) His stamp collection
(c) Some old coins
(d) A heifer
4. Why does Christmas quit his job at the mill?
(a) He got a better offer from another mill.
(b) He and Brown are partners in the whiskey business.
(c) He is leaving town.
(d) He is bored with the work at the mill.
5. This chapter goes back in time to provide the reader with information about events. This technique is called _________________.
(a) timeline redux
(c) plot reversal
(d) chronological manipulation
6. Who did Lena live with in Doane's Mill?
(a) Her parents
(b) Her older brother
(c) Her best friend
(d) Her godparents
7. How did Mrs. Hightower die?
(a) She took an overdose of sleeping pills.
(b) She was in a car accident.
(c) She had a heart attack.
(d) She either fell or jumped from a Memphis hotel room.
8. Why is Christmas attracted to the waitress?
(a) She is small and all the men seem to like her.
(b) She has a great smile.
(c) She gives him extra marshmallows for his cocoa.
(d) She has a good sense of humor.
9. How many days pass before Christmas is returned to the orphanage?
10. Why is Christmas shocked when he arrives at Bobbie's?
(a) He finds her employers and two other men in her room.
(b) He did not know Bobbie would have so many suitcases.
(c) Bobbie is not there.
(d) Bobbie is not packed yet.
11. Who makes plans to adopt Christmas and take him away from the orphanage?
(a) Miss Burden
(b) Rev. Hightower
(c) The janitor
(d) Mr. and Mrs. McEachern
12. What does the dietician tell the janitor about Christmas
(a) That he is too old to stay in this orphanage
(b) That he is a nigger and will have to be sent to a nigger orphanage
(c) That he will never be adopted
(d) That he will be adopted soon
13. Why had Hightower originally come to town?
(a) To be the minister of the Presbyterian Church
(b) To be the priest at the Catholic Church
(c) To lead the church choir
(d) To teach Sunday School
14. Christmas walks into the woods and reaches a point by a small stream where he ___________________.
(a) builds a fire and takes a nap
(b) whittles for awhile
(c) goes swimming
(d) goes fishing
15. Where does Lena go the next morning?
(a) She takes a train to Atlanta.
(b) She hitches a ride back home.
(c) She tries to get a job at the general store.
(d) She gets a wagon ride to Jefferson.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bobbie call Christmas?
2. What are the men in the room discussing?
3. Who does the dietician approach to exact her revenge on Christmas?
4. When Christmas' position in the room is revealed, the dietician accuses him of __________.
5. Who does Joe Brown accuse of murdering the answer to #42?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)