|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the other mill workers discover that Joe Christmas has been doing?
(a) Working the night shift
(b) Volunteering at the hospital
(c) Driving a cab
(d) Selling whiskey illegally
2. Why does Byron think that he and Hightower continue to lead such solitary lives?
(a) Because they do not like team events.
(b) Because man is more afraid of change than of the troubles he already has experienced and those familiar to him.
(c) Because they have anti-social personalities
(d) Because they have had disastrous experiences with women before.
3. What is the intention of the four boys?
(a) They are going to have sex with a Negro girl waiting inside the sawmill.
(b) They want to get drunk.
(c) They want to smoke some dope inside the sawmill.
(d) They want to meet some wild girls from out of town.
4. Why does Christmas quit his job at the mill?
(a) He and Brown are partners in the whiskey business.
(b) He is bored with the work at the mill.
(c) He is leaving town.
(d) He got a better offer from another mill.
5. Why was Hightower fired from his ministry position?
(a) Because he took too many vacations
(b) Because of the scandal caused by his wife
(c) Because he was not technically savvy
(d) Because he lacked the proper credentials
6. What is the demeanor of the answer to #13?
(a) Easygoing and happy
(b) Proud and contemptuous
(c) The life of the party
(d) Intelligent and serious
7. Why does Byron not tell Lena that Joe Brown is actually Lucas Burch?
(a) Because he wants her to like him.
(b) Because he does not want her making a fool of herself in front of the whole town.
(c) Because he wants Lena to stop poking around in things that are not her business.
(d) Because he wants Lena to return home.
8. Byron takes Lena to a _______________ so she can spend the night.
(b) bed and breakfast
9. What does Christmas do when he earns some more money?
(a) He returns to the restaurant and pays the waitress the balance of what he owed for his pie and coffee.
(b) He buys some girlie magazines.
(c) He goes to a movie.
(d) He takes his friends out drinking.
10. What does Lena carry to prevent them from getting dirty?
(a) Her shoes
(b) Her raincoat
(c) Her gloves
(d) Her boots
11. Why do the townspeople think Joe Christmas has committed the murder of Miss Burden?
(a) Because he is an itinerant
(b) Because he never has been any good
(c) Because he has Negro blood
(d) Because he has murderous eyes
12. What does the dietician offer Christmas as a bribe?
(a) an afternoon at the movies
(b) a trip into town
(c) a visit to a theme park
(d) a silver dollar
13. Christmas walks into the woods and reaches a point by a small stream where he ___________________.
(a) whittles for awhile
(b) builds a fire and takes a nap
(c) goes swimming
(d) goes fishing
14. Who does Byron fall in love with at first sight?
(a) Miss Burden
(b) The bank teller
(d) The choir director
15. What does Christmas do as he stands underneath Miss Burden's bedroom window?
(a) He yells obscenities at her.
(b) He strips himself of the undergarment he wears.
(c) He throws rocks at her window.
(d) He serenades her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Christmas shocked when he arrives at Bobbie's?
2. What does Mr. McEachern see from his bedroom window one night?
3. How do the townspeople know that Mrs. Hightower is on the verge of a breakdown?
4. Where does Lena go the next morning?
5. Why does Christmas feel that something powerful is taking over his body and something irreversible is about to happen?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)