|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Christmas' position in the room is revealed, the dietician accuses him of __________.
2. What does Hightower do to supplement his monthly inheritance since he lost his position at the church twenty-five years ago?
(a) He does people's taxes.
(b) He provides artistic services.
(c) He has a landscaping business.
(d) He is a writer.
3. Why does Christmas feel that something powerful is taking over his body and something irreversible is about to happen?
(a) Because he is on a new medication
(b) Because he has a violent temper
(c) Because he is drunk
(d) Because Miss Burden had been praying over him
4. Why is Lena walking down the dusty road?
(a) She is lost.
(b) She is looking for the father of her child.
(c) She likes to take walks.
(d) She is taking a short cut.
5. What is the intention of the four boys?
(a) They want to get drunk.
(b) They want to meet some wild girls from out of town.
(c) They want to smoke some dope inside the sawmill.
(d) They are going to have sex with a Negro girl waiting inside the sawmill.
6. Where does Lena go the next morning?
(a) She takes a train to Atlanta.
(b) She hitches a ride back home.
(c) She tries to get a job at the general store.
(d) She gets a wagon ride to Jefferson.
7. Who is the other man who shows up unexpectedly at the mill for a job?
8. What does the dietician tell the janitor about Christmas
(a) That he will be adopted soon
(b) That he is a nigger and will have to be sent to a nigger orphanage
(c) That he is too old to stay in this orphanage
(d) That he will never be adopted
9. As Byron escorts Lena through the crowd in town talking about the fire, what does he not want Lena to hear?
(a) That Lucas Burch was murdered.
(b) That Joe Christmas was murdered.
(c) That Hightower was murdered.
(d) That Miss Burden was murdered
10. Who makes plans to adopt Christmas and take him away from the orphanage?
(a) Rev. Hightower
(b) Mr. and Mrs. McEachern
(c) The janitor
(d) Miss Burden
11. What does the dietician offer Christmas as a bribe?
(a) an afternoon at the movies
(b) a trip into town
(c) a silver dollar
(d) a visit to a theme park
12. What happens to Lena after she sneaks out of McKinley's house one night?
(a) She goes to a dance.
(b) She studies with a friend.
(c) She goes roller skating.
(d) She gets pregnant.
13. How do the townspeople know that Mrs. Hightower is on the verge of a breakdown?
(a) She interrupts her husband's Sunday sermon by standing in the church aisle shrieking at him.
(b) She refuses to join in Bible study groups.
(c) She refuses to go to choir practice.
(d) She has no interest in fundraising drives.
14. How many days pass before Christmas is returned to the orphanage?
15. Who is Lena's brother?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Christmas do when he leaves the house?
2. What does Mrs. McEachern bring Christmas after Mr. McEachern leaves?
3. Why had Hightower wanted to come to Jefferson originally?
4. Why does Christmas decide to sleep in the stables instead of the cabin?
5. What does Mr. McEachern want Christmas to do?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)