|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who makes plans to adopt Christmas and take him away from the orphanage?
(a) Rev. Hightower
(b) Mr. and Mrs. McEachern
(c) The janitor
(d) Miss Burden
2. What does Christmas do when he realizes that the waitress sleeps with other men for money?
(a) He says he wants her to stop.
(b) He says that it does not bother him.
(c) He hits her and breaks down sobbing.
(d) He never talks to her again.
3. Why is Christmas shocked when he arrives at Bobbie's?
(a) Bobbie is not packed yet.
(b) Bobbie is not there.
(c) He did not know Bobbie would have so many suitcases.
(d) He finds her employers and two other men in her room.
4. Where did Mrs. Hightower go on Saturday nights?
(a) Choir practice
(d) Out to dinner
5. What does Bobbie call Christmas?
(a) A fraud
(b) A juvenile
(c) A nigger
(d) A liability
6. Where does Hightower now spend all his time?
(a) In a bar
(b) In seclusion at his home
(c) At the library
7. Who is the only one who knows that Byron drives all night on Saturdays in order to conduct the choir at a distant country church and then drive home in time to go to work on Mondays?
(a) Lucas Burch
(b) Former minister Hightower
8. Whose services does Christmas use many times over the years?
(d) Dry cleaners
9. In the morning, Christmas returns to the cabin and dresses in _____________________.
(a) t-shirt and jeans
(b) formal suit and suspenders
(c) suit pants, white shirt and bow tie
10. Who is Christmas meeting on this night?
(a) His drug dealer
(b) His real father
(c) His girlfriend
(d) His best friend
11. What does Mr. McEachern want Christmas to do?
(a) Memorize his catechism studies
(b) Become a better fisherman
(c) Learn how to farm
(d) Chop more wood for the house
12. What does Mrs. McEachern bring Christmas after Mr. McEachern leaves?
(a) A Bible
(b) A tray of food
(c) Some clean clothes
(d) Some hot chocolate
13. What is the demeanor of the answer to #13?
(a) Easygoing and happy
(b) Intelligent and serious
(c) Proud and contemptuous
(d) The life of the party
14. Why is Christmas attracted to the waitress?
(a) She gives him extra marshmallows for his cocoa.
(b) She has a good sense of humor.
(c) She has a great smile.
(d) She is small and all the men seem to like her.
15. When Christmas' position in the room is revealed, the dietician accuses him of __________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. McEachern then go to church?
2. Why had Hightower wanted to come to Jefferson originally?
3. As Byron escorts Lena through the crowd in town talking about the fire, what does he not want Lena to hear?
4. Why does Byron not tell Miss Burden about Christmas and Brown's illegal whiskey business?
5. When Hightower does not leave, who threatens him by beating him unconscious in the woods near his home?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)