|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Christmas walks into the woods and reaches a point by a small stream where he ___________________.
(a) builds a fire and takes a nap
(b) goes swimming
(c) goes fishing
(d) whittles for awhile
2. What does Mrs. McEachern bring Christmas after Mr. McEachern leaves?
(a) A tray of food
(b) Some hot chocolate
(c) A Bible
(d) Some clean clothes
3. In the morning, Christmas returns to the cabin and dresses in _____________________.
(b) suit pants, white shirt and bow tie
(c) formal suit and suspenders
(d) t-shirt and jeans
4. Who does McKinley think is the father of Lena's baby?
(a) Carlton Howard
(b) Mike Bowers
(c) Lucas Burch
(d) Larry MacKenzie
5. How did Mrs. Hightower die?
(a) She either fell or jumped from a Memphis hotel room.
(b) She had a heart attack.
(c) She took an overdose of sleeping pills.
(d) She was in a car accident.
6. What does Hightower do to supplement his monthly inheritance since he lost his position at the church twenty-five years ago?
(a) He has a landscaping business.
(b) He does people's taxes.
(c) He provides artistic services.
(d) He is a writer.
7. Who does the dietician approach to exact her revenge on Christmas?
(a) the principal
(b) the school nurse
(c) the math teacher
(d) the janitor
8. What happens when Mr. McEachern calls Bobbie a harlot?
(a) Christmas apologizes to Bobbie.
(b) Christmas breaks a chair over his head.
(c) Christmas takes Bobbie away from the situation.
(d) Mr. McEachern apologizes to Bobbie.
9. How much older than Lena is McKinley?
(a) 10 years
(b) 20 years
(c) 7 years
(d) 13 years
10. Why does Joe Christmas refrain from beating Joe Brown when he could have easily killed him the night in the cabin?
(a) Because Joe Brown overpowers Joe Christmas
(b) Because Joe Christmas really wants to kill Miss Burden
(c) Because Joe Christmas does not have the heart of a killer
(d) Because Joe Brown is Joe Christmas' best friend
11. Who befriends Hightower after twenty years of his seclusion?
(a) Lena Grove
(b) Joe Christmas
(c) Byron Bunch
(d) Miss Atkins
12. Where is Christmas headed with his three friends?
(a) To a deserted sawmill
(b) To the river
(c) To the next town
(d) To the local bar
13. Who makes plans to adopt Christmas and take him away from the orphanage?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. McEachern
(b) Miss Burden
(c) The janitor
(d) Rev. Hightower
14. When Hightower does not leave, who threatens him by beating him unconscious in the woods near his home?
(a) The church elders
(b) The Mafia
(c) The Ku Klux Klan
(d) A group of thugs
15. Where does the janitor take Christmas?
(a) To a different orphanage
(b) To the movies
(c) To a ballgame
(d) To church
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Christmas realize that racial prejudice is not as strong in the north as it is in the south?
2. Why do the two men in the wagon, Armstid and Winterbottom, give Lena a ride?
3. What does Christmas do when he has no money to pay the answer to #112?
4. What does the answer to #65 call the dietician's problem with the Christmas situation?
5. What does Christmas do when he earns some more money?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)