• Lena Grove leaves her Alabama home and arrives in Jefferson, Mississippi, in search of Lucas Burch, the father of her unborn baby.
• Lena is given a ride by two men whose wives take care of her and give her some money.
• Byron Bunch works at the planing mill in Jefferson.
• Byron recalls that Joe Christmas looked like a vagrant when he came to work at the mill two years ago.
• Another new mill worker, Joe Brown, befriends Christmas.
• Brown and Christmas live in an old cabin on Miss Burden's property outside of town.
• Brown and Christmas sell bootleg whiskey.
• Byron falls in love with Lena the minute he sees her at the mill asking for Lucas.
• Byron tells her that Lucas Burch is the man now called Joe Brown.
• Gail Hightower used to be a minister in Jefferson but resigned due to pressure from the...
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)