|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Rebecca Harding Davis born?
2. What kind of bird does the narrator describe chirping desolately beside her in a cage in the beginning of “Life in the Iron Mills”?
3. What broken figure does the narrator describe as “pointing upward from the mantle shelf” in the beginning of “Life in the Iron Mills”?
4. Where do Deborah’s coworkers tell her there a ball tonight in the beginning of “Life in the Iron Mills”?
5. Of Hugh Wolfe, the narrator says in “Life in the Iron Mills,” “His soul within him was smothering to death; he wanted so much, thought so much, and knew” what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe Hugh’s interaction with Deborah when she brings him dinner at the mill in “Life in the Iron Mills”?
2. What decision does Hugh reach when he goes to attempt to return the money in “Life in the Iron Mills”? Why?
3. How would you describe the setting of “Life in the Iron Mills”? What tone is established through the story’s setting?
4. How would you describe the narrator of “Life in the Iron Mills”? Is the narrator involved in the action of the story?
5. How is Hugh’s demeanor in the jail described in “Life in the Iron Mills”? What are Deborah’s impressions when she sees Hugh?
6. When did Rebecca Harding Davis write “Life in the Iron Mills”? Who published it?
7. How does the setting of “Life in the Iron Mills” relate metaphorically to the story’s main characters?
8. What is the outcome for Hugh in the denouement of “Life in the Iron Mills”?
9. What does Deb attempt to give Hugh after they return home from the mill in “Life in the Iron Mills”? How does Hugh respond?
10. What does Hugh look down on from his prison window at in “Life in the Iron Mills”? What does this scene make him realize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Haley in “Life in the Iron Mills.” How does Haley feel about Hugh and Deb? Why does Haley say Hugh is wearing leg shackles? How does Haley describe Hugh’s escape attempts?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Hester Manning in “The Wife’s Story.” About how old do you imagine Hester to be? How does Hester describe her childhood and her relationship to her family? How does Hester feel about her husband and stepchildren?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the characters of Anne and Mrs. Palmer in “Anne.” How old are each of these characters? What do they look like? What are their actions in the story?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)