|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dash see a painting that he wants?
2. What is another name for an individual home loan?
3. What is the primary aspect of business that always matters most at Salomon Brothers?
4. What is the chief occupational hazard of the trading floor?
5. What type of communication do the author and Dash launch into at the beginning of the work day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Michael Milken consider himself a part of Drexel Burnham?
2. Who took the hit for the AT&T bond loss that the author advised Herman on?
3. What happens to the average age and the average age at Salomon Brothers in London in 1987?
4. What is a tombstone and how does it apply to the German interest warrant created by the author and Alexander?
5. What is the particular need of thrifts in terms of investing in the mortgage bond market?
6. The author is convinced that the worst thing a man can do with a telephone without breaking the law is what?
7. How does Bear Stearns take the $250 million loss that Howie Rubin incurs at Merrill Lynch?
8. What is happening in colleges in Britain by the end of 1986?
9. What are some of the bad habits mortgage traders have developed regarding the use of the Salomon Brothers expense account?
10. How does Lewie Ranieri feel about Michael Milken? How does this differ from John Gutfreund's opinion of him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the bonus structure for first- and second-year Salomon Brothers employees. How are their achievements considered? How does the author feel about this? What are the three emotions that all Salomon Brothers employees feel at bonus time?
Essay Topic 2
How does the Glass-Steagall Act of 1934 cleave the banking industry in two? What two sectors of banking are created as a result of the act? What functions do these two sectors serve? How are the two sectors of banking perceived by the author?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the environment of the fortieth floor at Salomon Brothers. Who is housed there, primarily? How does it compare to the forty-first floor in terms of atmosphere, prestige, and pace?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)