|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ranieri tells Gutfreund that he is selling the [mortgage bond] technology for a _____.
2. Ronald O. Perelman is a hostile trader who took over which cosmetics company?
3. According to the author, investors don't fear losing money as much as they fear _____?
4. What is another name for an individual home loan?
5. Salomon Brothers is a ______ from 1910 to 1981.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does one trader think that Mark Smith is not a Trojan Horse like some of the other traders believe?
2. From the moment the Federal Reserve lifted interest rates in October 1979, what happens to the thrifts?
3. When is the best time to sell short?
4. Do bosses at Salomon Brothers think badly of employees who are not at their telephones all the time? Why or why not?
5. What happens to the average age and the average age at Salomon Brothers in London in 1987?
6. Despite the upheaval in the mortgage market, what is the initial objection that remains valid as the mortgage market evolves?
7. What is the particular need of thrifts in terms of investing in the mortgage bond market?
8. What is selling short?
9. What is happening in colleges in Britain by the end of 1986?
10. What is the relationship of IOs and POs to the market?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to Andy Stone, what effect does Wall Street's tendency to make its best producers into managers have on firms? What happens to managers once they achieve the position? Is it a good system overall?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the change that took place in the bond market in the 1980s. What event took place in 1979 to affect this change? Who was involved? How did the change affect people's perception of bonds? How did Salomon Brothers make money at bonds?
Essay Topic 3
What contributes to the rapid and complete deterioration of Ranieri and Co. at Salomon Brothers? What was the achievement that Ranieri had hoped for in creating the mortgage department? How did the market affect the imbalance between Ranieri and Co. and the rest of the bond trading world?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)