|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which leading bond analyst from Salomon Brothers gives a speech at the Wharton School about how he can't get women to pay attention to him at cocktail parties?
2. From what school does Leonard Bublick, the trainee who gets hit in the head with a paper wad thrown by the former U.S. Navy fighter pilot, get his M.B.A.?
3. What is the name stockbrokers give to the day in 1976 when fixed stock brokerage commissions ended?
4. What is a phrase the author uses to describe Meriwether's value to Salomon Brothers?
5. The cafeteria kitchen at Salomon Brothers is known throughout Wall Street for its _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the code of Liar's Poker affect a trader?
2. How does the author compare economics to art history?
3. Why does the author pounce on the opportunity to work for Salomon Brothers like a loose ball?
4. Describe the home-buying imbalance of the Rust Belt and the Sun Belt.
5. Why does one of the female trainees become the first person to finally talk to the author in the training program at Salomon Brothers?
6. What does Lewis see as being the first inalienable right of the Salomon Brothers trainee?
7. Why is Lewie Ranieri so loyal to Salomon Brothers?
8. What is meant by "no tears"?
9. How is trading supposedly like the jungle?
10. What entices many people to apply to Salomon Brothers and binds them to the firm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the change that took place in the bond market in the 1980s. What event took place in 1979 to affect this change? Who was involved? How did the change affect people's perception of bonds? How did Salomon Brothers make money at bonds?
Essay Topic 2
How does the game of Liar's Poker have the feel of trading? Describe how Liar's Poker works, the list of questions a bond trader asks himself, and list some of the other firms besides Salomon Brothers which have similar games.
Essay Topic 3
What contributes to the rapid and complete deterioration of Ranieri and Co. at Salomon Brothers? What was the achievement that Ranieri had hoped for in creating the mortgage department? How did the market affect the imbalance between Ranieri and Co. and the rest of the bond trading world?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)