|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, what is Gutfreund's only noticeable affectation when he comes to speak to the trainees?
2. Gutfreund's challenging of Meriwether to a game of Liar's Poker is his way of showing he is ______.
3. The author thinks that all money men either have ______ hair or are bald.
4. Which leading bond analyst from Salomon Brothers gives a speech at the Wharton School about how he can't get women to pay attention to him at cocktail parties?
5. The back row trainees at Solomon Brothers are victims of the myth that a trader is a _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does a chaired professor at the London School of Economics react when the author tells him the amount he has been offered to work at Salomon Brothers?
2. In the training class, why does Lewis think Gutfreund looks the part of statesman?
3. How does the author manage to get a connection into Salomon Brothers?
4. Describe the home-buying imbalance of the Rust Belt and the Sun Belt.
5. What is unfortunate about the position Susan James has acquired at Salomon Brothers?
6. Why does one of the female trainees become the first person to finally talk to the author in the training program at Salomon Brothers?
7. Why is a single home mortgage considered a messy investment for Wall Street?
8. What does Lewis see as being the first inalienable right of the Salomon Brothers trainee?
9. How does the equities department treat the trainees?
10. What do the trainees have planned for the morning Gutfreund is supposed to speak to the class?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What happens when the author interviews for Lehman Brothers? Why does he interview for Lehman Brothers? Who comes to interview him? What does he say that affects the outcome of the interview? Why is the author perplexed at the reaction the interviewers have to his answer to their question?
Essay Topic 2
What does the author learn from Dash Riprock and Alexander at his job as a bond salesman in London? How are they different? What is Dash's telephone style?How is Alexander so easily able to read markets?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the evolution of the mortgage trading department at Salomon Brothers. Who came up with the idea to develop that department? Who saw it through the hard times? What were some of the stumbling blocks that had to be overcome to make mortgages viable for trading? How does it finally become successful?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)