|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gutfreund's first love is ______.
2. What is the initial bet that Gutfreund proposes to Meriwether for Liar's Poker?
3. A row of Bic fine-point pens in a plastic case in the breast pocket of someone who works on Wall Street is commonly called a _____.
4. From what school does Leonard Bublick, the trainee who gets hit in the head with a paper wad thrown by the former U.S. Navy fighter pilot, get his M.B.A.?
5. According to the author, the reason Wall Street has initially ignored his resume is that all the representatives from large firms say that he lacks ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the trainees have planned for the morning Gutfreund is supposed to speak to the class?
2. In the training class, why does Lewis think Gutfreund looks the part of statesman?
3. Why are corporate financiers considered wimps by traders?
4. What is one of the main concerns of the old hands at Salomon Brothers concerning the state of affairs in the economics of America in the 1980s?
5. How does Meriwether beat Gutfreund before the game of Liar's Poker even starts?
6. How does the author compare economics to art history?
7. Why is Lewie Ranieri so loyal to Salomon Brothers?
8. How does Bob Dall react when he is replaced by Ranieri?
9. What is unfortunate about the position Susan James has acquired at Salomon Brothers?
10. How does a chaired professor at the London School of Economics react when the author tells him the amount he has been offered to work at Salomon Brothers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the author learn from Dash Riprock and Alexander at his job as a bond salesman in London? How are they different? What is Dash's telephone style?How is Alexander so easily able to read markets?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the personality traits of Lewie Ranieri and Michael Milken. What is the difference between their careers in regards to their respective companies? Compare the amount of money each person made. Why did one make more money than the other?
Essay Topic 3
According to Andy Stone, what effect does Wall Street's tendency to make its best producers into managers have on firms? What happens to managers once they achieve the position? Is it a good system overall?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)