|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author describes England as the land of ________.
2. The author characterizes the people initially involved in home mortgages as ______.
3. In 1986, forty percent of Yale's graduating class apply to which bank?
4. Gutfreund's wife, Susan, is spending fifteen million dollars decorating his ______ apartment.
5. The senior mortgage traders maintain that their abuse of trainees leads to _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author manage to get a connection into Salomon Brothers?
2. How does the equities department treat the trainees?
3. What is the "3-6-3 Club"?
4. The author uses the analogy of two benevolent hands that "stuff the turkey" that Wall Street firms eat the stuffing from. What does he mean by this?
5. Describe the home-buying imbalance of the Rust Belt and the Sun Belt.
6. What effect does allowing the back row of the Salomon Brothers training program to create anarchy have on the company?
7. What entices many people to apply to Salomon Brothers and binds them to the firm?
8. Why is Lewie Ranieri so loyal to Salomon Brothers?
9. What is the difference between managing and trading?
10. Why is a single home mortgage considered a messy investment for Wall Street?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to Andy Stone, what effect does Wall Street's tendency to make its best producers into managers have on firms? What happens to managers once they achieve the position? Is it a good system overall?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author finally become a Big Swinging Dick? Who dubs him so? Who does he sell to to attain this level at Salomon Brothers? What does he sell? How does he feel about the whole affair?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the personality traits of Lewie Ranieri and Michael Milken. What is the difference between their careers in regards to their respective companies? Compare the amount of money each person made. Why did one make more money than the other?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)