|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which department at Salomon Brothers is considered "the sleepy backwater"?
(a) Corprate finance.
(d) Bond trading.
2. Which publication calls John Gutfreund the "King of Wall Street"?
(b) Business Week.
(d) The Wall Street Journal.
3. Liar's Poker has a lot in common with what aspect of Wall Street business?
(a) Stock trading.
(b) Currency trading.
(c) Commodities trading.
(d) Bond trading.
4. People who do imitations of Michael Mortara often sound like _____.
(a) Marlon Brando.
(b) Jimmy Swaggert.
(c) Walter Cronkite.
(d) Ronald Reagan.
5. The back row trainees at Solomon Brothers are victims of the myth that a trader is a _____.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, what is Gutfreund's only noticeable affectation when he comes to speak to the trainees?
2. Massey is not looking for curious minds among trainees, he is looking for _____.
3. The front-row people in the Salomon Brothers training program are generally from which business school?
4. Which leading bond analyst from Salomon Brothers gives a speech at the Wharton School about how he can't get women to pay attention to him at cocktail parties?
5. Where was the author born and raised?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does one of the female trainees become the first person to finally talk to the author in the training program at Salomon Brothers?
2. What is the difference between managing and trading?
3. Why does Gutfreund challenge Meriwether to Liar's Poker?
4. The author uses the analogy of two benevolent hands that "stuff the turkey" that Wall Street firms eat the stuffing from. What does he mean by this?
5. What effect does allowing the back row of the Salomon Brothers training program to create anarchy have on the company?
6. Why is the treasury trader king at Salomon Brothers?
7. How does a chaired professor at the London School of Economics react when the author tells him the amount he has been offered to work at Salomon Brothers?
8. What is the hard part of Liar's Poker?
9. Why are corporate financiers considered wimps by traders?
10. How is trading supposedly like the jungle?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)