|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which department at Salomon Brothers is considered "the sleepy backwater"?
(a) Bond trading.
(d) Corprate finance.
2. Lewis states that analysts don't analyze anything; they are just _____ to corporate financiers.
(a) Sounding boards.
(d) Coffee makers.
3. According to the author, the reason Wall Street has initially ignored his resume is that all the representatives from large firms say that he lacks ______.
(a) A wealthy background.
(c) Commercial instincts.
4. Which leading bond analyst from Salomon Brothers gives a speech at the Wharton School about how he can't get women to pay attention to him at cocktail parties?
(a) John Meriwether.
(b) Sidney Homer.
(c) Myron Samuels.
(d) John Gutfreund.
5. In the midst of Liar's Poker, the good player's mind spins with ________.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author describes England as the land of ________.
2. In the bond market, unlike the stock market, ______ are not openly stated.
3. Gutfreund's challenging of Meriwether to a game of Liar's Poker is his way of showing he is ______.
4. A trainee asks Horowitz about Salomon Brother's being blacklisted by whom?
5. A trainee asks Horowitz about why the company's largest shareholder is from which country?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is meant by "no tears"?
2. What happens when the author has breakfast with Leo Corbett?
3. How does a chaired professor at the London School of Economics react when the author tells him the amount he has been offered to work at Salomon Brothers?
4. How does the author compare economics to art history?
5. What is unfortunate about the position Susan James has acquired at Salomon Brothers?
6. Why are corporate financiers considered wimps by traders?
7. Why is the treasury trader king at Salomon Brothers?
8. In the training class, why does Lewis think Gutfreund looks the part of statesman?
9. Why does Gutfreund challenge Meriwether to Liar's Poker?
10. How does Meriwether beat Gutfreund before the game of Liar's Poker even starts?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)