|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For the author, the stigma of getting a job through connections is worse than the stigma of ______.
(a) Waiting tables.
(b) Getting a PhD.
(c) Starting at the bottom.
2. The Japanese in the training program are considered _____.
(a) A ruthless cult.
(b) Highly alert.
(d) A protected species.
3. Wall Street has a river at one end and a ______ at the other.
(b) Pot of gold.
(d) Train station.
4. The front-row people in the Salomon Brothers training program are generally from which business school?
5. What aspect of the dollar bill is the integral component of Liar's Poker?
(a) The serial number.
(b) The mint.
(c) The year.
(d) The owner.
6. The trainee who finally asks a question at Massey's training session wonders if Salomon Brothers will open an office in what city?
7. The author characterizes the people initially involved in home mortgages as ______.
(a) Sheep ranchers.
(b) Shoe salesmen.
(c) Burger flippers.
(d) Corn farmers.
8. Jim Massey is considered Gutfreund's _____.
(a) Prodigal son.
(b) Arch enemy.
(c) Hatchet man.
9. As Lewis observes people in his firm, he finds that just as some people are mean drunks, mortgage traders are mean _____.
10. There are 287 books about bonds in the New York Public Library and most of them are about _____.
(b) Family ties.
(c) Junk Bonds.
(d) A British spy.
11. What is the initial bet that Gutfreund proposes to Meriwether for Liar's Poker?
(a) One dollar.
(b) A million dollars.
(c) Forty thousand dollars.
(d) A year's pay.
12. What is the nickname for the Government National Mortgage Association?
(a) Fanny Mae.
(b) Johnny Mac.
(c) Freddie Mac.
(d) Ginnie Mae.
13. The back row trainees at Solomon Brothers are victims of the myth that a trader is a _____.
14. A challenge in Liar's Poker is like saying _______.
(a) "You're a con artist."
(b) "I'll take the gamble."
(c) "You're an idiot."
(d) "I doubt it."
15. According to Lewis, the better an analyst gets at his job, the nearer he seems to ______.
(d) His dreams.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ubiquitous part of business attire does Massey conspicuously lack?
2. Jim Massey is a member of Salomon Brothers executive committee in charge of sales and presides over _____, which directly affects the future of all trainees.
3. Traders prove their superiority in a Wall Street firm every day by doing what?
4. For a great player of Liar's Poker, ______ is the easy part of the game.
5. What sort of important dinner is the author invited to attend?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)