|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name stockbrokers give to the day in 1976 when fixed stock brokerage commissions ended?
(a) A green Christmas.
(b) Black Friday.
(c) Blue Monday.
2. The author thinks that all money men either have ______ hair or are bald.
3. A challenge in Liar's Poker is like saying _______.
(a) "I'll take the gamble."
(b) "You're an idiot."
(c) "You're a con artist."
(d) "I doubt it."
4. According to the author, in order for the home mortgage to become a bond, it has to be _____.
5. The author notices that young traders become _____ after they get onto Meriwether's trading desk.
6. Which subway line drops off hoards of people to their Wall Street jobs?
(b) Morris Heights.
(c) Bedford Park.
(d) Lexington Avenue.
7. In 1986, forty percent of Yale's graduating class apply to which bank?
(a) Lehman Brothers.
(c) First Boston.
8. The author characterizes the bond trader as a _____.
(b) Rock star.
9. What is the nickname for the Government National Mortgage Association?
(a) Fanny Mae.
(b) Ginnie Mae.
(c) Johnny Mac.
(d) Freddie Mac.
10. Which leading bond analyst from Salomon Brothers gives a speech at the Wharton School about how he can't get women to pay attention to him at cocktail parties?
(a) Sidney Homer.
(b) John Meriwether.
(c) John Gutfreund.
(d) Myron Samuels.
11. There are 287 books about bonds in the New York Public Library and most of them are about _____.
(a) Family ties.
(c) A British spy.
(d) Junk Bonds.
12. What sort of dogs are the favorite of the British royal family?
(b) Welsh terriers.
13. What is the name of an interview technique designed to test an applicant's nerve?
(a) The silent treatment.
(b) Instant recall command.
(c) Direct humiliation.
(d) The yell test.
14. What is another name for an analyst in the corporate finance department at Salomon Brothers?
(a) A driver.
(b) A grunt.
(c) An ant.
(d) A slug.
15. From what school does Leonard Bublick, the trainee who gets hit in the head with a paper wad thrown by the former U.S. Navy fighter pilot, get his M.B.A.?
(a) University of Iowa.
(b) University of Indiana.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lewis observes that the cruelty that traders bestow on everyone in their wake is _____.
2. In the midst of Liar's Poker, the good player's mind spins with ________.
3. As Lewis observes people in his firm, he finds that just as some people are mean drunks, mortgage traders are mean _____.
4. Though he was rejected by Harvard, Gutfreund eventually graduated from ______.
5. The author characterizes the people initially involved in home mortgages as ______.
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)