|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the midst of Liar's Poker, the good player's mind spins with ________.
2. What is the nickname for the Government National Mortgage Association?
(a) Johnny Mac.
(b) Freddie Mac.
(c) Fanny Mae.
(d) Ginnie Mae.
3. Rich Shuster is a thrift salesman in which Salomon Brothers office before coming to work for Ranieri?
4. More than any other firm on Wall Street, Salomon Brothers is run by _______.
(c) Corporate finance.
(d) Mutual fund managers.
5. What aspect of the dollar bill is the integral component of Liar's Poker?
(a) The mint.
(b) The year.
(c) The owner.
(d) The serial number.
6. According to the author, all a man has in the markets is his _____.
(a) Drive and determination.
(c) Word and honor.
7. According to the author, the reason Wall Street has initially ignored his resume is that all the representatives from large firms say that he lacks ______.
(a) A wealthy background.
(d) Commercial instincts.
8. In 1986, forty percent of Yale's graduating class apply to which bank?
(a) First Boston.
(b) Lehman Brothers.
9. Bond prices move _____ to interest rates after 1979.
10. Lewis observes that the cruelty that traders bestow on everyone in their wake is _____.
11. A trainee asks Horowitz about Salomon Brother's being blacklisted by whom?
(d) South Africans.
12. Which leading bond analyst from Salomon Brothers gives a speech at the Wharton School about how he can't get women to pay attention to him at cocktail parties?
(a) John Gutfreund.
(b) Sidney Homer.
(c) Myron Samuels.
(d) John Meriwether.
13. What is the initial bet that Gutfreund proposes to Meriwether for Liar's Poker?
(a) One dollar.
(b) A million dollars.
(c) A year's pay.
(d) Forty thousand dollars.
14. What does Lewis see as John Gutfreund's "calling card" as he makes his rounds in the trading floor?
(a) Coffee grounds.
(b) A hand-written note.
(c) Cigar ash.
(d) A slap on the back.
15. Jim Massey is considered Gutfreund's _____.
(a) Arch enemy.
(b) Hatchet man.
(c) Prodigal son.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the author born and raised?
2. What is the name of the trainee who was a former U.S. Navy fighter pilot?
3. What practice eventually cripples Salomon Brothers?
4. By definition, an analyst's job lasts how long?
5. A row of Bic fine-point pens in a plastic case in the breast pocket of someone who works on Wall Street is commonly called a _____.
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)