• John Gutfreund, Chairman of the declining Salomon Brothers investment firm, walks around the trading floor to gather information about the day's business.
• He may not say anything but the telltale expensive cigar ash he drops shows his presence.
• Gutfreund wants to play one hand of Liar's Poker with John Meriwether for a million dollars.
• Geutfreund says, "one hand, one million dollars, no tears," to initiate the game.
• The comment "no tears" means the loser is not expected to complain.
• Meriwether alone has enough cash and daring to meet Gutfreund's bet.
• Gutfreund has been a trader but is now an outsider in the game.
• A high-stakes hand of Liar's Poker shows he can still be a player too.
• Liar's Poker is played by two to ten players gathered around in a circle.
• Each player has a dollar bill with a serial number he uses to fool the...
This section contains 2,014 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)