|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item did Lucy Graham leave behind after she stopped working for the school that was her employer before Essex?
2. How does the item Mrs. Balkham gives to Robert connect Lady Audley to Helen Talboys?
3. Who does Robert speak to about Lucy Graham?
4. What does Lady Audley do before leaving Mount Stanning?
5. Why does Robert call a doctor to examine Lady Audley?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lady Audley go to Mount Stanning?
2. What suggestion does Robert make to Lady Audley in connection to George's death?
3. Why does Robert send Alicia to be with her father?
4. How does Lady Audley react when Robert arrives at Audley Court the following day?
5. Why does Robert return to Essex after swearing to never step foot in Audley Court again?
6. Who does Robert find in Audley Village upon his return to Essex?
7. What does Robert learn when he visits a badly burned Luke Marks?
8. Why does George's sister follow Robert outside after he delivers the news that George has been murdered?
9. When Robert compares Clara and Alicia in his mind, who comes out on top?
10. What does Lord Audley promise to do in order to care for Robert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is George Talboys? Why did he marry Helen Maldon? Why did his father disinherit him? How did that action impact his relationship with his wife? Why did George go to Australia? What was he hoping to get out of that trip? Did he? What had changed when George returned home? For what reason? How could this situation have been avoided? Would it have been avoided if George had acted differently?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss insanity. Why does Lady Audley begin claiming that Robert Audley is insane? Why does Lady Audley fall back on the idea of insanity? How does Lady Audley hope this claim against Robert will cause him to back off her secrets? Why does Lady Audley claim that Robert makes her uncomfortable and that her husband should have him declared insane? Is Robert insane? In whose family does insanity really run?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Lady Audley repetitively lie to Robert in order to keep him and George Talboys from visiting Audley Court? Why does Robert not realize what Lady Audley is trying to do? How does George react when he sees the portrait of Lady Audley? How does Lady Audley act after finally meeting George Talboys? Should these behaviors have clued the other characters into the situation? How do these reactions help the reader realize something is going on?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)