|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Alicia write Robert and promise that she is keeping Sir Michael as busy as possible?
2. What excuse does Phoebe give for asking for this money?
3. How does Lady Audley make herself cry when she goes to speak to Lord Audley?
4. What does Lady Audley claim happened to her mother when she was only an infant?
5. Why does Robert want to walk alone with Lady Audley in Chapter 11 of Volume 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Robert suggest is the cause of Lady Audley's lies and deceit?
2. What does Lady Audley tell her husband about her walk with Robert?
3. How does Lord Audley react to his wife's tale of betrayal?
4. What letter does Phoebe give to Lady Audley on her visit?
5. What is the doctor's original diagnosis of Lucy Graham Audley?
6. When Robert compares Clara and Alicia in his mind, who comes out on top?
7. Why does Robert return to Essex after swearing to never step foot in Audley Court again?
8. What does Clara discover when she catches sight of Lady Audley?
9. Where does Robert eventually learn George went after leaving Essex?
10. What does Lord Audley promise to do in order to care for Robert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the letters that Luke Marks gives to Robert Audley at the end of the story. What surprise do these letters reveal? Why are these letters significant? Does Robert tell anyone about the letters? Why did Luke Marks hold on to the letters after they were given to him? What might have happened had Luke given the letters to the appropriate people as soon as he received them?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss symbolism as it relates to the items Phoebe and Luke find in Lady Audley's jewelry box. What is important about these items? What might they mean to Lady Audley? How do Luke and Phoebe plan to use these items to blackmail Lady Audley? Why does Lady Audley pay these blackmailers?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss family. Why does Helen Talboys desert her family, including her little boy, after her husband travels to Australia to make their fortune? Why does Captain Maldon drink away all the family's money? Why does George Talboys' father disinherit him for marrying Helen? Why does George's father not believe Robert's claim that George has been murdered? How does George's father change his tune after George is found alive and well? What accounts for this change in attitude?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)