|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Robert return to the home of the Talboys?
2. What threat does Lady Audley make against Robert?
3. Who does Robert learn was Lucy Graham's employer before she came to Essex?
4. What does the doctor initially recommend be done with Lady Audley?
5. What was Lady Audley attempting to protect when she killed George?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Robert feel about his visit to George's family?
2. Who does Robert find in Audley Village upon his return to Essex?
3. Who does Robert marry and settle down with?
4. How does Robert make a connection between Lucy Graham and Helen Talboys?
5. What does Robert suggest is the cause of Lady Audley's lies and deceit?
6. What spurs Robert into action in the investigation of George's disappearance?
7. How does George's father react to the news that George might have been murdered? Why?
8. Why does Robert visit a Mrs. Vincent?
9. What does Clara discover when she catches sight of Lady Audley?
10. What happens to Mount Stanning as Lady Audley rides away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's style. How is the novel structured? Is there anything unique about this structure? How might the novel have been more reader friendly? How might the style have impacted the themes in the novel? Does style affect story? In what ways? Discuss changes that might be made to the novel to make it more easily read by modern readers.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of the novel. Where is the novel set? Why did the author choose this setting? In what time period is the novel set? Is this time period contemporary to the author? What impact did the author's life have on her story? How might the story have been different if set in a different place or time? What impact does the setting have on the themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss insanity. Why does Lady Audley begin claiming that Robert Audley is insane? Why does Lady Audley fall back on the idea of insanity? How does Lady Audley hope this claim against Robert will cause him to back off her secrets? Why does Lady Audley claim that Robert makes her uncomfortable and that her husband should have him declared insane? Is Robert insane? In whose family does insanity really run?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)