|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clara send to Robert in order to aid his investigation?
2. Whose room does Lady Audley lock before leaving Mount Stanning?
3. How does Lord Audley react to Lady Audley's tears?
4. What does Lady Audley claim she attempted to do when George first confronted her with the truth?
5. What does Lady Audley imagine is driving her mad with anticipation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lady Audley go to Mount Stanning?
2. Where does Lucy tell Robert he can find George?
3. How does Lady Audley react when Robert arrives at Audley Court the following day?
4. What letter does Phoebe give to Lady Audley on her visit?
5. What happens to Mount Stanning as Lady Audley rides away?
6. What does Robert suggest is the cause of Lady Audley's lies and deceit?
7. How does George's father react to the news that George might have been murdered? Why?
8. What does Robert learn when he visits a badly burned Luke Marks?
9. Why does Phoebe come to visit Lady Audley the night after Lady Audley's discussion with Robert?
10. What suggestion does Robert make to Lady Audley in connection to George's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do Phoebe and Luke Marks continue to blackmail Lady Audley even after they are married and buy their inn? Why does Luke Marks talk to Robert about this blackmail scheme even though he might cause it to end? Why does Phoebe try to protect Lady Audley? How does Phoebe feel about Lady Audley? Is this emotion mutual between the two women? Why would Phoebe so loyal to someone she is blackmailing?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following themes and their importance to the overall plot of the novel:
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the letters that Luke Marks gives to Robert Audley at the end of the story. What surprise do these letters reveal? Why are these letters significant? Does Robert tell anyone about the letters? Why did Luke Marks hold on to the letters after they were given to him? What might have happened had Luke given the letters to the appropriate people as soon as he received them?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)