|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who requests to speak with Robert upon his return to Essex?
2. What item does Phoebe give to Lady Audley?
3. Why does Clara chase Robert out of Halcourt Talboys house?
4. What place does Sir Michael swear he will never go to again?
5. Who claims to have a witness who can prove Lady Audley and Helen Talboys are one and the same?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the doctor's original diagnosis of Lucy Graham Audley?
2. How does Lord Audley react to his wife's tale of betrayal?
3. Why does Phoebe come to visit Lady Audley the night after Lady Audley's discussion with Robert?
4. How does Lady Audley react when Robert confronts her with all the evidence he has gathered?
5. What does Clara discover when she catches sight of Lady Audley?
6. How does Lady Audley react when Robert arrives at Audley Court the following day?
7. Why does George's sister follow Robert outside after he delivers the news that George has been murdered?
8. What does Robert learn when he visits a badly burned Luke Marks?
9. Who does Robert marry and settle down with?
10. Why does Robert visit a Mrs. Vincent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's style. How is the novel structured? Is there anything unique about this structure? How might the novel have been more reader friendly? How might the style have impacted the themes in the novel? Does style affect story? In what ways? Discuss changes that might be made to the novel to make it more easily read by modern readers.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Lady Audley attempt to burn down Phoebe and Luke Marks' inn? Why does Lady Audley lock Robert's door from the outside? Who is injured in this fire? Why? Why does Lady Audley believe Robert Audley will die? Why is Lady Audley to find Robert still alive? Why does Lady Audley confess to her real identity when she learns Robert survived the fire? How does Sir Michael Audley react? How does Robert get Lady Audley confined to a mental institution after this incident?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss insanity. Why does Lady Audley begin claiming that Robert Audley is insane? Why does Lady Audley fall back on the idea of insanity? How does Lady Audley hope this claim against Robert will cause him to back off her secrets? Why does Lady Audley claim that Robert makes her uncomfortable and that her husband should have him declared insane? Is Robert insane? In whose family does insanity really run?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)