|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Robert believe Lady Audley had for faking Helen Talboys death and marrying Lord Audley?
2. What name does Helen Talboys/Lady Audley take while in the sanitarium?
3. Why does Robert want to walk alone with Lady Audley in Chapter 11 of Volume 2?
4. What item did Helen Talboys leave with Mrs. Balkham when she left town?
5. Why does Lady Audley believe her secret will never be revealed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lord Audley promise to do in order to care for Robert?
2. What happens to Mount Stanning as Lady Audley rides away?
3. Who does Robert find in Audley Village upon his return to Essex?
4. What spurs Robert into action in the investigation of George's disappearance?
5. What does Robert suggest is the cause of Lady Audley's lies and deceit?
6. Why does Robert send Alicia to be with her father?
7. What suggestion does Robert make to Lady Audley in connection to George's death?
8. Who does Robert marry and settle down with?
9. What does Clara discover when she catches sight of Lady Audley?
10. What does Robert learn when he visits a badly burned Luke Marks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the novel. Where is the novel set? Why did the author choose this setting? In what time period is the novel set? Is this time period contemporary to the author? What impact did the author's life have on her story? How might the story have been different if set in a different place or time? What impact does the setting have on the themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss two of the following literary techniques in detail, using information from the novel to support your conclusions:
Essay Topic 3
Who is Lucy Graham? For whom did Lucy Graham work before her marriage to Sir Michael Audley? Why does Sir Audley's daughter, Alicia, not like the new Lady Audley? Why does the new Lady Audley have trouble making friends with other women? What does Lady Audley think of her new family? What is the nature of Lady Audley's relationship with her maid, Phoebe? Why does Lady Audley give Phoebe and her new husband, Luke Marks, a great deal of money before their marriage? What does this say about Lady Audley's character?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)