|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Robert think Lady Audley would do when he confronted her with proof of her secret?
2. Who does Robert meet upon returning to Essex?
3. What idea does Phoebe plant in Lady Audley's mind during their conversation?
4. Who begins to have doubts about Lady Audley's accusations against Robert?
5. Where does the item that Robert takes from Lucy Graham's former employer lead Robert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following themes and their importance to the overall plot of the novel:
Essay Topic 2
Discuss family. Why does Helen Talboys desert her family, including her little boy, after her husband travels to Australia to make their fortune? Why does Captain Maldon drink away all the family's money? Why does George Talboys' father disinherit him for marrying Helen? Why does George's father not believe Robert's claim that George has been murdered? How does George's father change his tune after George is found alive and well? What accounts for this change in attitude?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Lady Audley attempt to burn down Phoebe and Luke Marks' inn? Why does Lady Audley lock Robert's door from the outside? Who is injured in this fire? Why? Why does Lady Audley believe Robert Audley will die? Why is Lady Audley to find Robert still alive? Why does Lady Audley confess to her real identity when she learns Robert survived the fire? How does Sir Michael Audley react? How does Robert get Lady Audley confined to a mental institution after this incident?
This section contains 1,475 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)