|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What proof does Luke have to support his story of George's fall into the well?
2. Who suspects Lady Audley of setting the fire at Mount Stanning?
3. Who claims to have a witness who can prove Lady Audley and Helen Talboys are one and the same?
4. Where is the institute the doctor recommends for Lady Audley?
5. Where is the school located where Lucy Graham worked before coming to Essex?
Short Essay Questions
1. What suggestion does Robert make to Lady Audley in connection to George's death?
2. When Robert compares Clara and Alicia in his mind, who comes out on top?
3. Why does Robert return to Essex after swearing to never step foot in Audley Court again?
4. Where does Robert eventually learn George went after leaving Essex?
5. Why does Robert visit a Mrs. Vincent?
6. What happens to Mount Stanning as Lady Audley rides away?
7. How does George's father react to the news that George might have been murdered? Why?
8. What does Clara discover when she catches sight of Lady Audley?
9. Who does Robert find in Audley Village upon his return to Essex?
10. How does Robert make a connection between Lucy Graham and Helen Talboys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Captain Maldon. What disease does Captain Maldon suffer? Why does Captain Maldon spend all the family's money on himself? What motive does Captain Maldon present to Helen to cause her to want to marry someone with money? Who is Captain Maldon's wife? Where is she? How does this reflect on Helen? How does Helen die? What role does Captain Maldon play in this death? Why does George leave his child in the care of Captain Maldon?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Lady Audley repetitively lie to Robert in order to keep him and George Talboys from visiting Audley Court? Why does Robert not realize what Lady Audley is trying to do? How does George react when he sees the portrait of Lady Audley? How does Lady Audley act after finally meeting George Talboys? Should these behaviors have clued the other characters into the situation? How do these reactions help the reader realize something is going on?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's style. How is the novel structured? Is there anything unique about this structure? How might the novel have been more reader friendly? How might the style have impacted the themes in the novel? Does style affect story? In what ways? Discuss changes that might be made to the novel to make it more easily read by modern readers.
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)