|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who described Lady Audley in such a way that she resembled Helen Talboys?
2. Who requests to speak with Robert upon his return to Essex?
3. Why does Lady Audley say she felt the need to kill her husband?
4. To whom are clues in the letters from Clara damning in regards to Robert's investigation?
5. How does Robert reveal what he feels about Alicia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Robert learn when he visits a badly burned Luke Marks?
2. How does Robert feel about his visit to George's family?
3. How does George's father react to the news that George might have been murdered? Why?
4. What suggestion does Robert make to Lady Audley in connection to George's death?
5. What spurs Robert into action in the investigation of George's disappearance?
6. Why does Phoebe come to visit Lady Audley the night after Lady Audley's discussion with Robert?
7. Why does the doctor change his mind and agree that Lucy should be institutionalized?
8. Why does Robert return to Essex after swearing to never step foot in Audley Court again?
9. Where does Lucy tell Robert he can find George?
10. What does Clara discover when she catches sight of Lady Audley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss insanity. Why does Lady Audley begin claiming that Robert Audley is insane? Why does Lady Audley fall back on the idea of insanity? How does Lady Audley hope this claim against Robert will cause him to back off her secrets? Why does Lady Audley claim that Robert makes her uncomfortable and that her husband should have him declared insane? Is Robert insane? In whose family does insanity really run?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following themes and their importance to the overall plot of the novel:
Essay Topic 3
Discuss two of the following literary techniques in detail, using information from the novel to support your conclusions:
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)