|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lord Audley banish Robert from Audley Court?
2. Where does George reveal he has been all this time?
3. What does Robert take from the item Lucy Graham left behind with her former employer?
4. Why does Robert not go to the police with Lady Audley's secret?
5. How does the item Mrs. Balkham gives to Robert connect Lady Audley to Helen Talboys?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Robert eventually learn George went after leaving Essex?
2. What does Clara discover when she catches sight of Lady Audley?
3. Why does Lady Audley go to Mount Stanning?
4. How does Robert make a connection between Lucy Graham and Helen Talboys?
5. What happens to Mount Stanning as Lady Audley rides away?
6. How does Lady Audley react when Robert arrives at Audley Court the following day?
7. Why does Phoebe come to visit Lady Audley the night after Lady Audley's discussion with Robert?
8. How does Lord Audley react to his wife's tale of betrayal?
9. When Robert compares Clara and Alicia in his mind, who comes out on top?
10. What does Lord Audley promise to do in order to care for Robert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss two of the following literary techniques in detail, using information from the novel to support your conclusions:
Essay Topic 2
Discuss family. Why does Helen Talboys desert her family, including her little boy, after her husband travels to Australia to make their fortune? Why does Captain Maldon drink away all the family's money? Why does George Talboys' father disinherit him for marrying Helen? Why does George's father not believe Robert's claim that George has been murdered? How does George's father change his tune after George is found alive and well? What accounts for this change in attitude?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's style. How is the novel structured? Is there anything unique about this structure? How might the novel have been more reader friendly? How might the style have impacted the themes in the novel? Does style affect story? In what ways? Discuss changes that might be made to the novel to make it more easily read by modern readers.
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)