|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lady Audley do before leaving Mount Stanning?
2. What does Clara send to Robert in order to aid his investigation?
3. What is Halcourt's reaction to Robert's visit?
4. What event forces Robert to return to the investigation sooner than he expected?
5. What place does Sir Michael swear he will never go to again?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Robert marry and settle down with?
2. What suggestion does Robert make to Lady Audley in connection to George's death?
3. What spurs Robert into action in the investigation of George's disappearance?
4. What does Robert learn when he visits a badly burned Luke Marks?
5. How does Lady Audley react when Robert arrives at Audley Court the following day?
6. Why does Lady Audley go to Mount Stanning?
7. What happens to Mount Stanning as Lady Audley rides away?
8. Why does Robert send Alicia to be with her father?
9. Where does Robert eventually learn George went after leaving Essex?
10. What is the doctor's original diagnosis of Lucy Graham Audley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss insanity. Why does Lady Audley begin claiming that Robert Audley is insane? Why does Lady Audley fall back on the idea of insanity? How does Lady Audley hope this claim against Robert will cause him to back off her secrets? Why does Lady Audley claim that Robert makes her uncomfortable and that her husband should have him declared insane? Is Robert insane? In whose family does insanity really run?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss family. Why does Helen Talboys desert her family, including her little boy, after her husband travels to Australia to make their fortune? Why does Captain Maldon drink away all the family's money? Why does George Talboys' father disinherit him for marrying Helen? Why does George's father not believe Robert's claim that George has been murdered? How does George's father change his tune after George is found alive and well? What accounts for this change in attitude?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's style. How is the novel structured? Is there anything unique about this structure? How might the novel have been more reader friendly? How might the style have impacted the themes in the novel? Does style affect story? In what ways? Discuss changes that might be made to the novel to make it more easily read by modern readers.
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)