|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prompts Lady Audley to confess all to Lord Audley?
2. What does Halcourt suggest Robert do with his investigation into George's disappearance?
3. Where did Lime Walk get its name?
4. Who requests to speak with Robert upon his return to Essex?
5. Why does Lady Audley believe her secret will never be revealed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Robert visit a Mrs. Vincent?
2. What spurs Robert into action in the investigation of George's disappearance?
3. How does Lord Audley react to his wife's tale of betrayal?
4. What does Robert learn when he visits a badly burned Luke Marks?
5. What does Lady Audley tell her husband about her walk with Robert?
6. How does Lady Audley react when Robert arrives at Audley Court the following day?
7. What does Clara discover when she catches sight of Lady Audley?
8. Why does Phoebe come to visit Lady Audley the night after Lady Audley's discussion with Robert?
9. What suggestion does Robert make to Lady Audley in connection to George's death?
10. Why does Robert return to Essex after swearing to never step foot in Audley Court again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Captain Maldon. What disease does Captain Maldon suffer? Why does Captain Maldon spend all the family's money on himself? What motive does Captain Maldon present to Helen to cause her to want to marry someone with money? Who is Captain Maldon's wife? Where is she? How does this reflect on Helen? How does Helen die? What role does Captain Maldon play in this death? Why does George leave his child in the care of Captain Maldon?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss family. Why does Helen Talboys desert her family, including her little boy, after her husband travels to Australia to make their fortune? Why does Captain Maldon drink away all the family's money? Why does George Talboys' father disinherit him for marrying Helen? Why does George's father not believe Robert's claim that George has been murdered? How does George's father change his tune after George is found alive and well? What accounts for this change in attitude?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of the novel. Where is the novel set? Why did the author choose this setting? In what time period is the novel set? Is this time period contemporary to the author? What impact did the author's life have on her story? How might the story have been different if set in a different place or time? What impact does the setting have on the themes of the novel?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)