|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Robert want to walk alone with Lady Audley in Chapter 11 of Volume 2?
2. Why does Robert visit Halcourt Talboys?
3. Who does Robert learn was Lucy Graham's employer before she came to Essex?
4. Why does Robert return to the home of the Talboys?
5. What does Lord Audley insist does not run in the Audley family genes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Lucy tell Robert he can find George?
2. What is the doctor's original diagnosis of Lucy Graham Audley?
3. What letter does Phoebe give to Lady Audley on her visit?
4. Why does the doctor change his mind and agree that Lucy should be institutionalized?
5. How does Lady Audley react when Robert arrives at Audley Court the following day?
6. How does Robert feel about his visit to George's family?
7. What does Lord Audley promise to do in order to care for Robert?
8. How does Robert make a connection between Lucy Graham and Helen Talboys?
9. Where does Robert eventually learn George went after leaving Essex?
10. Why does Phoebe come to visit Lady Audley the night after Lady Audley's discussion with Robert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Lady Audley repetitively lie to Robert in order to keep him and George Talboys from visiting Audley Court? Why does Robert not realize what Lady Audley is trying to do? How does George react when he sees the portrait of Lady Audley? How does Lady Audley act after finally meeting George Talboys? Should these behaviors have clued the other characters into the situation? How do these reactions help the reader realize something is going on?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss insanity. Why does Lady Audley begin claiming that Robert Audley is insane? Why does Lady Audley fall back on the idea of insanity? How does Lady Audley hope this claim against Robert will cause him to back off her secrets? Why does Lady Audley claim that Robert makes her uncomfortable and that her husband should have him declared insane? Is Robert insane? In whose family does insanity really run?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of the novel. Where is the novel set? Why did the author choose this setting? In what time period is the novel set? Is this time period contemporary to the author? What impact did the author's life have on her story? How might the story have been different if set in a different place or time? What impact does the setting have on the themes of the novel?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)