|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Clara chase Robert out of Halcourt Talboys house?
2. What does Robert take from the item Lucy Graham left behind with her former employer?
3. What does Robert tell the doctor that changes his mind about Lady Audley's physical and mental condition?
4. Who suspects Lady Audley of setting the fire at Mount Stanning?
5. What does Lady Audley claim she attempted to do when George first confronted her with the truth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What spurs Robert into action in the investigation of George's disappearance?
2. Why does Robert return to Essex after swearing to never step foot in Audley Court again?
3. Why does George's sister follow Robert outside after he delivers the news that George has been murdered?
4. Why does Robert send Alicia to be with her father?
5. Who does Robert find in Audley Village upon his return to Essex?
6. What is the doctor's original diagnosis of Lucy Graham Audley?
7. What happens to Mount Stanning as Lady Audley rides away?
8. Where does Robert eventually learn George went after leaving Essex?
9. What does Robert learn when he visits a badly burned Luke Marks?
10. What does Lord Audley promise to do in order to care for Robert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Lady Audley go to London after speaking to Robert about his plan to find George Talboys? What does Lady Audley do while in London? How does the reader know this? Does Robert realize what Lady Audley has done? How does Robert figure it out? What is Lady Audley trying to hide? Is she successful in this? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Lady Audley attempt to burn down Phoebe and Luke Marks' inn? Why does Lady Audley lock Robert's door from the outside? Who is injured in this fire? Why? Why does Lady Audley believe Robert Audley will die? Why is Lady Audley to find Robert still alive? Why does Lady Audley confess to her real identity when she learns Robert survived the fire? How does Sir Michael Audley react? How does Robert get Lady Audley confined to a mental institution after this incident?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss insanity. Why does Lady Audley begin claiming that Robert Audley is insane? Why does Lady Audley fall back on the idea of insanity? How does Lady Audley hope this claim against Robert will cause him to back off her secrets? Why does Lady Audley claim that Robert makes her uncomfortable and that her husband should have him declared insane? Is Robert insane? In whose family does insanity really run?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)