|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Robert think Lady Audley would do when he confronted her with proof of her secret?
2. What does Mrs. Balkham say Helen Talboys did after George left for Australia without warning?
3. Where is the institute the doctor recommends for Lady Audley?
4. How does Lord Audley react to Lady Audley's tears?
5. What does Robert tell the doctor that changes his mind about Lady Audley's physical and mental condition?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lord Audley react to his wife's tale of betrayal?
2. What spurs Robert into action in the investigation of George's disappearance?
3. When Robert compares Clara and Alicia in his mind, who comes out on top?
4. Where does Robert eventually learn George went after leaving Essex?
5. What letter does Phoebe give to Lady Audley on her visit?
6. What does Clara discover when she catches sight of Lady Audley?
7. What does Lord Audley promise to do in order to care for Robert?
8. How does Lady Audley react when Robert arrives at Audley Court the following day?
9. Why does the doctor change his mind and agree that Lucy should be institutionalized?
10. How does George's father react to the news that George might have been murdered? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Captain Maldon. What disease does Captain Maldon suffer? Why does Captain Maldon spend all the family's money on himself? What motive does Captain Maldon present to Helen to cause her to want to marry someone with money? Who is Captain Maldon's wife? Where is she? How does this reflect on Helen? How does Helen die? What role does Captain Maldon play in this death? Why does George leave his child in the care of Captain Maldon?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss two of the following literary techniques in detail, using information from the novel to support your conclusions:
Essay Topic 3
Why does Lady Audley attempt to burn down Phoebe and Luke Marks' inn? Why does Lady Audley lock Robert's door from the outside? Who is injured in this fire? Why? Why does Lady Audley believe Robert Audley will die? Why is Lady Audley to find Robert still alive? Why does Lady Audley confess to her real identity when she learns Robert survived the fire? How does Sir Michael Audley react? How does Robert get Lady Audley confined to a mental institution after this incident?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)