|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which house guest proposes marriage to Alicia Audley?
2. Why does Alicia believe Robert is spending a great deal of time with Lady Audley?
3. What do Phoebe and Luke find in Lady Audley's jewelry box?
4. What inquiries lead Robert to believe George returned to London alone?
5. How much time does Robert tell Lady Audley he will wait in hopes of receiving an answer to his newspaper ads?
Short Essay Questions
1. What old friend does Robert run into and what is this friend looking for?
2. Who does Robert see at the London train station that causes him surprise?
3. Where does Robert go when he does not find George at his flat in London?
4. Who does Robert learn was in his flat while he was in Essex?
5. Who is Sir Harry Towers and what offer does he make to Alicia Audley?
6. What response does Robert receive when he requests a visit with his uncle, Lord Audley?
7. Who is Robert Audley and how is he related to Lord Audley?
8. What prevents Robert and George from returning to London at their intended time?
9. Why does Alicia Audley think that Robert is in love with his uncle's wife?
10. What causes Robert to guess that George never left Essex?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the novel. Where is the novel set? Why did the author choose this setting? In what time period is the novel set? Is this time period contemporary to the author? What impact did the author's life have on her story? How might the story have been different if set in a different place or time? What impact does the setting have on the themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Lady Audley go to London after speaking to Robert about his plan to find George Talboys? What does Lady Audley do while in London? How does the reader know this? Does Robert realize what Lady Audley has done? How does Robert figure it out? What is Lady Audley trying to hide? Is she successful in this? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Captain Maldon. What disease does Captain Maldon suffer? Why does Captain Maldon spend all the family's money on himself? What motive does Captain Maldon present to Helen to cause her to want to marry someone with money? Who is Captain Maldon's wife? Where is she? How does this reflect on Helen? How does Helen die? What role does Captain Maldon play in this death? Why does George leave his child in the care of Captain Maldon?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)