|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Robert told George has gone?
2. What form of transportation does Robert believe George took on his trip?
3. Where is George Talboys returning to England from?
4. What recreation do George and Robert decide to participate in in Chapter 9 of Volume 1?
5. How much time passes between Chapter 6 and Chapter 7 of Volume 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What fear causes Robert to rush to the Isle of Wight?
2. Where does Robert believe George has gone when he wakes to find him missing?
3. What does Mrs. Plowson, Georgie's babysitter, attempt to keep Georgie from telling Robert?
4. What does Robert decide to do in order to keep Georgie safe?
5. Why does Alicia Audley think that Robert is in love with his uncle's wife?
6. What response does Robert receive when he requests a visit with his uncle, Lord Audley?
7. When Robert shows George around Audley Court, what item causes George to become oddly quiet and thoughtful?
8. Why do Lady Audley's maid, Phoebe, and her fiance, Luke, ask Lady Audley for money?
9. Where does Captain Maldon claim George has gone? What proof does he have?
10. What old friend does Robert run into and what is this friend looking for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Lady Audley repetitively lie to Robert in order to keep him and George Talboys from visiting Audley Court? Why does Robert not realize what Lady Audley is trying to do? How does George react when he sees the portrait of Lady Audley? How does Lady Audley act after finally meeting George Talboys? Should these behaviors have clued the other characters into the situation? How do these reactions help the reader realize something is going on?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Robert's lifestyle. What kind of life has Robert led before running into George Talboys? Why does Robert travel so much? What kind of work does Robert do? What kind of work is Robert qualified to do? Why does Clara Talboys suggest Robert change his lifestyle? Does he? What happens in their relationship after this moment? How much impact did George's ordeal have on Robert and his decision to change his lifestyle?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss insanity. Why does Lady Audley begin claiming that Robert Audley is insane? Why does Lady Audley fall back on the idea of insanity? How does Lady Audley hope this claim against Robert will cause him to back off her secrets? Why does Lady Audley claim that Robert makes her uncomfortable and that her husband should have him declared insane? Is Robert insane? In whose family does insanity really run?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)