|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the invitation to Audley Court revoked in Chapter 7 of Volume 1?
2. Why does Lord Audley believe Alicia turned down a proposal made to her?
3. What makes Robert suspect George ran into some serious misfortune?
4. What item does Robert see that seems to support the idea that George has left England?
5. What is the name of the ship George returns to England on?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Robert learn was in his flat while he was in Essex?
2. What is the cause of tension between Lucy Graham Audley and Alicia Audley?
3. Where does George go after Robert falls asleep during a fishing trip?
4. What fear causes Robert to rush to the Isle of Wight?
5. What does Mrs. Plowson, Georgie's babysitter, attempt to keep Georgie from telling Robert?
6. What response does Robert receive when he requests a visit with his uncle, Lord Audley?
7. What does Robert plan to inspect in his flat in London?
8. What is Lucy Graham's profession when Lord Audley meets her?
9. When Robert shows George around Audley Court, what item causes George to become oddly quiet and thoughtful?
10. What instrument does Lady Audley play after dinner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss insanity. Why does Lady Audley begin claiming that Robert Audley is insane? Why does Lady Audley fall back on the idea of insanity? How does Lady Audley hope this claim against Robert will cause him to back off her secrets? Why does Lady Audley claim that Robert makes her uncomfortable and that her husband should have him declared insane? Is Robert insane? In whose family does insanity really run?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Robert Audley's guardianship of Georgie Talboys. Why does George give Robert guardianship over his son? What does George hope Robert can do that perhaps Captain Maldon cannot? Why does George leave Georgie with Captain Maldon? Why does George not make arrangements to take his son to Australia with him? Why does Robert remove Georgie from Captain Maldon's care? What is Robert hoping to achieve for the young boy?
Essay Topic 3
Why do Phoebe and Luke Marks continue to blackmail Lady Audley even after they are married and buy their inn? Why does Luke Marks talk to Robert about this blackmail scheme even though he might cause it to end? Why does Phoebe try to protect Lady Audley? How does Phoebe feel about Lady Audley? Is this emotion mutual between the two women? Why would Phoebe so loyal to someone she is blackmailing?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)