|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Robert believe George has gone when he wakes by the river?
2. What do Phoebe and Luke find in Lady Audley's jewelry box?
3. Who is Captain Maldon?
4. What does Robert tell Captain Maldon to do with the information Robert has given him?
5. Who does Robert interrogate about the disturbance in his flat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lucy Graham's profession when Lord Audley meets her?
2. Why does Alicia Audley think that Robert is in love with his uncle's wife?
3. What does Robert find when he inspects George's luggage?
4. What is the age difference between Lucy Graham and Lord Audley's daughter, Alicia?
5. Who is Sir Harry Towers and what offer does he make to Alicia Audley?
6. What do George and Robert read in the newspaper that causes them to rush to the Isle of Wight?
7. When Robert shows George around Audley Court, what item causes George to become oddly quiet and thoughtful?
8. What injury does Lady Audley have? Why does Robert not believe her explanation for the injury?
9. What is the cause of tension between Lucy Graham Audley and Alicia Audley?
10. Why is a second invitation to Audley Court rescinded after George and Robert arrive in a local village?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Captain Maldon. What disease does Captain Maldon suffer? Why does Captain Maldon spend all the family's money on himself? What motive does Captain Maldon present to Helen to cause her to want to marry someone with money? Who is Captain Maldon's wife? Where is she? How does this reflect on Helen? How does Helen die? What role does Captain Maldon play in this death? Why does George leave his child in the care of Captain Maldon?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the letters that Luke Marks gives to Robert Audley at the end of the story. What surprise do these letters reveal? Why are these letters significant? Does Robert tell anyone about the letters? Why did Luke Marks hold on to the letters after they were given to him? What might have happened had Luke given the letters to the appropriate people as soon as he received them?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Lucy Graham? For whom did Lucy Graham work before her marriage to Sir Michael Audley? Why does Sir Audley's daughter, Alicia, not like the new Lady Audley? Why does the new Lady Audley have trouble making friends with other women? What does Lady Audley think of her new family? What is the nature of Lady Audley's relationship with her maid, Phoebe? Why does Lady Audley give Phoebe and her new husband, Luke Marks, a great deal of money before their marriage? What does this say about Lady Audley's character?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)