|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Robert request an invitation to visit Audley Court in Chapter 7 of Volume 1?
2. How does Lady Audley avoid being introduced to George Talboys in Chapter 7 of Volume 1?
3. What does Robert find disturbed when he returns to his flat at Fig Tree Court?
4. From what illness does Captain Maldon appear to suffer?
5. Who is Lucy Graham?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Captain Maldon claim George has gone? What proof does he have?
2. What response does Robert receive when he requests a visit with his uncle, Lord Audley?
3. What instrument does Lady Audley play after dinner?
4. What does Robert decide to do in order to keep Georgie safe?
5. Who is Robert Audley and how is he related to Lord Audley?
6. What does Mrs. Plowson, Georgie's babysitter, attempt to keep Georgie from telling Robert?
7. Why is a second invitation to Audley Court rescinded after George and Robert arrive in a local village?
8. What does Robert plan to inspect in his flat in London?
9. Who is Sir Harry Towers and what offer does he make to Alicia Audley?
10. What does Robert find when he inspects George's luggage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the novel. Where is the novel set? Why did the author choose this setting? In what time period is the novel set? Is this time period contemporary to the author? What impact did the author's life have on her story? How might the story have been different if set in a different place or time? What impact does the setting have on the themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Robert Audley's guardianship of Georgie Talboys. Why does George give Robert guardianship over his son? What does George hope Robert can do that perhaps Captain Maldon cannot? Why does George leave Georgie with Captain Maldon? Why does George not make arrangements to take his son to Australia with him? Why does Robert remove Georgie from Captain Maldon's care? What is Robert hoping to achieve for the young boy?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss insanity. Why does Lady Audley begin claiming that Robert Audley is insane? Why does Lady Audley fall back on the idea of insanity? How does Lady Audley hope this claim against Robert will cause him to back off her secrets? Why does Lady Audley claim that Robert makes her uncomfortable and that her husband should have him declared insane? Is Robert insane? In whose family does insanity really run?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)