|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Robert and George not return to London as planned in Chapter 8 of Volume 1?
2. What does Robert try to avoid in everyday affairs?
3. What is the name of the area where Robert's flat is located?
4. Where is George Talboys returning to England from?
5. Why does Robert spend a great deal of time around Lady Audley?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Lady Audley's maid, Phoebe, and her fiance, Luke, ask Lady Audley for money?
2. Who does George make guardian of his son, Georgie? Why?
3. What does Robert decide to do in order to keep Georgie safe?
4. What prevents Robert and George from returning to London at their intended time?
5. Who does Robert find in Audley Village upon his return to Essex?
6. Why does Phoebe come to visit Lady Audley the night after Lady Audley's discussion with Robert?
7. Why does Robert return to Essex after swearing to never step foot in Audley Court again?
8. Why is a second invitation to Audley Court rescinded after George and Robert arrive in a local village?
9. Where does Robert go when he does not find George at his flat in London?
10. What is the cause of tension between Lucy Graham Audley and Alicia Audley?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Robert's lifestyle. What kind of life has Robert led before running into George Talboys? Why does Robert travel so much? What kind of work does Robert do? What kind of work is Robert qualified to do? Why does Clara Talboys suggest Robert change his lifestyle? Does he? What happens in their relationship after this moment? How much impact did George's ordeal have on Robert and his decision to change his lifestyle?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of the novel. Where is the novel set? Why did the author choose this setting? In what time period is the novel set? Is this time period contemporary to the author? What impact did the author's life have on her story? How might the story have been different if set in a different place or time? What impact does the setting have on the themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the letters that Luke Marks gives to Robert Audley at the end of the story. What surprise do these letters reveal? Why are these letters significant? Does Robert tell anyone about the letters? Why did Luke Marks hold on to the letters after they were given to him? What might have happened had Luke given the letters to the appropriate people as soon as he received them?
This section contains 1,869 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)