|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does George go when Robert falls asleep in Chapter 9 of Volume 1?
2. Who does Robert interview about George's whereabouts?
3. Where did Phoebe and her new husband get the money to purchase their new business?
4. Who is Lucy Graham?
5. Who is Helen Talboys?
Short Essay Questions
1. What fear causes Robert to rush to the Isle of Wight?
2. What does Mrs. Plowson, Georgie's babysitter, attempt to keep Georgie from telling Robert?
3. What do George and Robert read in the newspaper that causes them to rush to the Isle of Wight?
4. What injury does Lady Audley have? Why does Robert not believe her explanation for the injury?
5. Where does Robert go when he does not find George at his flat in London?
6. What does Robert decide to do in order to keep Georgie safe?
7. Why is a second invitation to Audley Court rescinded after George and Robert arrive in a local village?
8. Who is Sir Harry Towers and what offer does he make to Alicia Audley?
9. What is the cause of tension between Lucy Graham Audley and Alicia Audley?
10. Where does Captain Maldon claim George has gone? What proof does he have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Lady Audley repetitively lie to Robert in order to keep him and George Talboys from visiting Audley Court? Why does Robert not realize what Lady Audley is trying to do? How does George react when he sees the portrait of Lady Audley? How does Lady Audley act after finally meeting George Talboys? Should these behaviors have clued the other characters into the situation? How do these reactions help the reader realize something is going on?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Lady Audley go to London after speaking to Robert about his plan to find George Talboys? What does Lady Audley do while in London? How does the reader know this? Does Robert realize what Lady Audley has done? How does Robert figure it out? What is Lady Audley trying to hide? Is she successful in this? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following character relationships in detail, discussing how these relationships affect the developing plot and the themes of the novel, using information from the text to support your arguments:
1) Helen and George
2) George and Lady Audley
3) Robert and Lady Audley
4) Sir and Lady Audley.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)