|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What child is Robert made guardian of in Chapter 6 of Volume 1?
2. How do Robert and George get into Lady Audley's rooms in Chapter 8 of Volume 1?
3. What draws men to Lady Audley?
4. Why is Phoebe jealous of Lady Audley?
5. Where does Robert go after Lady Audley leaves him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Alicia Audley think that Robert is in love with his uncle's wife?
2. What is the age difference between Lucy Graham and Lord Audley's daughter, Alicia?
3. Who does Robert learn was in his flat while he was in Essex?
4. Why do Lady Audley's maid, Phoebe, and her fiance, Luke, ask Lady Audley for money?
5. What causes Robert to guess that George never left Essex?
6. What does Mrs. Plowson, Georgie's babysitter, attempt to keep Georgie from telling Robert?
7. What does Robert decide to do in order to keep Georgie safe?
8. What prevents Robert and George from returning to London at their intended time?
9. Where does Captain Maldon claim George has gone? What proof does he have?
10. What is the cause of tension between Lucy Graham Audley and Alicia Audley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss insanity. Why does Lady Audley begin claiming that Robert Audley is insane? Why does Lady Audley fall back on the idea of insanity? How does Lady Audley hope this claim against Robert will cause him to back off her secrets? Why does Lady Audley claim that Robert makes her uncomfortable and that her husband should have him declared insane? Is Robert insane? In whose family does insanity really run?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the letters that Luke Marks gives to Robert Audley at the end of the story. What surprise do these letters reveal? Why are these letters significant? Does Robert tell anyone about the letters? Why did Luke Marks hold on to the letters after they were given to him? What might have happened had Luke given the letters to the appropriate people as soon as he received them?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Lady Audley go to London after speaking to Robert about his plan to find George Talboys? What does Lady Audley do while in London? How does the reader know this? Does Robert realize what Lady Audley has done? How does Robert figure it out? What is Lady Audley trying to hide? Is she successful in this? Why or why not?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)