|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Robert come to the conclusion that he has to take Georgie from the custody of his grandfather?
2. Why does Alicia Audley dislike her stepmother?
3. Where does Robert's own journey take him at the end of Chapter 6 of Volume 1?
4. Who is the only person who is known to have been at Fig Tree Court in Robert's absence?
5. What draws men to Lady Audley?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does George make guardian of his son, Georgie? Why?
2. What business do Luke and Phoebe purchase after their wedding?
3. What does Robert plan to inspect in his flat in London?
4. Who does Robert learn was in his flat while he was in Essex?
5. What injury does Lady Audley have? Why does Robert not believe her explanation for the injury?
6. What prevents Robert and George from returning to London at their intended time?
7. What does Mrs. Plowson, Georgie's babysitter, attempt to keep Georgie from telling Robert?
8. What characteristics of Lucy Graham's draw Lord Audley to her?
9. What do George and Robert read in the newspaper that causes them to rush to the Isle of Wight?
10. Where does Captain Maldon claim George has gone? What proof does he have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the novel. Where is the novel set? Why did the author choose this setting? In what time period is the novel set? Is this time period contemporary to the author? What impact did the author's life have on her story? How might the story have been different if set in a different place or time? What impact does the setting have on the themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss symbolism as it relates to the items Phoebe and Luke find in Lady Audley's jewelry box. What is important about these items? What might they mean to Lady Audley? How do Luke and Phoebe plan to use these items to blackmail Lady Audley? Why does Lady Audley pay these blackmailers?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Lucy Graham? For whom did Lucy Graham work before her marriage to Sir Michael Audley? Why does Sir Audley's daughter, Alicia, not like the new Lady Audley? Why does the new Lady Audley have trouble making friends with other women? What does Lady Audley think of her new family? What is the nature of Lady Audley's relationship with her maid, Phoebe? Why does Lady Audley give Phoebe and her new husband, Luke Marks, a great deal of money before their marriage? What does this say about Lady Audley's character?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)