|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does George hope to visit with when he leaves Robert sleeping by the river in Chapter 9 of Volume 1?
2. What makes Robert suspect George ran into some serious misfortune?
3. Why does Lord Audley believe Alicia turned down a proposal made to her?
4. What inquiries lead Robert to believe George returned to London alone?
5. Who is Lucy Graham?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Lady Audley's maid, Phoebe, and her fiance, Luke, ask Lady Audley for money?
2. What is Lucy Graham's profession when Lord Audley meets her?
3. What characteristics of Lucy Graham's draw Lord Audley to her?
4. Who does Robert learn was in his flat while he was in Essex?
5. What injury does Lady Audley have? Why does Robert not believe her explanation for the injury?
6. Where does Robert go when he does not find George at his flat in London?
7. Why is a second invitation to Audley Court rescinded after George and Robert arrive in a local village?
8. What prevents Robert and George from returning to London at their intended time?
9. Where does Captain Maldon claim George has gone? What proof does he have?
10. What fear causes Robert to rush to the Isle of Wight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Captain Maldon. What disease does Captain Maldon suffer? Why does Captain Maldon spend all the family's money on himself? What motive does Captain Maldon present to Helen to cause her to want to marry someone with money? Who is Captain Maldon's wife? Where is she? How does this reflect on Helen? How does Helen die? What role does Captain Maldon play in this death? Why does George leave his child in the care of Captain Maldon?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following character relationships in detail, discussing how these relationships affect the developing plot and the themes of the novel, using information from the text to support your arguments:
1) Helen and George
2) George and Lady Audley
3) Robert and Lady Audley
4) Sir and Lady Audley.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Lucy Graham? For whom did Lucy Graham work before her marriage to Sir Michael Audley? Why does Sir Audley's daughter, Alicia, not like the new Lady Audley? Why does the new Lady Audley have trouble making friends with other women? What does Lady Audley think of her new family? What is the nature of Lady Audley's relationship with her maid, Phoebe? Why does Lady Audley give Phoebe and her new husband, Luke Marks, a great deal of money before their marriage? What does this say about Lady Audley's character?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)