|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What business do Phoebe and her new husband purchase?
2. Why does Lady Audley ask her husband to have Robert removed from Audley Court?
3. What recreation do George and Robert decide to participate in in Chapter 9 of Volume 1?
4. Who is Phoebe?
5. What does Robert tell Captain Maldon to do with the information Robert has given him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Robert visit a Mrs. Vincent?
2. Where does Lucy tell Robert he can find George?
3. What does Mrs. Plowson, Georgie's babysitter, attempt to keep Georgie from telling Robert?
4. What prevents Robert and George from returning to London at their intended time?
5. What injury does Lady Audley have? Why does Robert not believe her explanation for the injury?
6. What does Robert decide to do in order to keep Georgie safe?
7. What is Lucy Graham's profession when Lord Audley meets her?
8. What characteristics of Lucy Graham's draw Lord Audley to her?
9. What suggestion does Robert make to Lady Audley in connection to George's death?
10. What does Robert learn when he visits a badly burned Luke Marks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Captain Maldon. What disease does Captain Maldon suffer? Why does Captain Maldon spend all the family's money on himself? What motive does Captain Maldon present to Helen to cause her to want to marry someone with money? Who is Captain Maldon's wife? Where is she? How does this reflect on Helen? How does Helen die? What role does Captain Maldon play in this death? Why does George leave his child in the care of Captain Maldon?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the letters that Luke Marks gives to Robert Audley at the end of the story. What surprise do these letters reveal? Why are these letters significant? Does Robert tell anyone about the letters? Why did Luke Marks hold on to the letters after they were given to him? What might have happened had Luke given the letters to the appropriate people as soon as he received them?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of the novel. Where is the novel set? Why did the author choose this setting? In what time period is the novel set? Is this time period contemporary to the author? What impact did the author's life have on her story? How might the story have been different if set in a different place or time? What impact does the setting have on the themes of the novel?
This section contains 1,879 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)