|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can Alicia not show Robert and George Lady Audley's rooms in Chapter 8 of Volume 1 when they come to visit?
2. What connection does Robert make between the item he has found in George's trunk and Lady Audley?
3. Where does Robert's own journey take him at the end of Chapter 6 of Volume 1?
4. Who does Robert interrogate about the disturbance in his flat?
5. What makes Robert suspect George ran into some serious misfortune?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Plowson, Georgie's babysitter, attempt to keep Georgie from telling Robert?
2. Why does Alicia Audley think that Robert is in love with his uncle's wife?
3. What prevents Robert and George from returning to London at their intended time?
4. Who is Sir Harry Towers and what offer does he make to Alicia Audley?
5. What response does Robert receive when he requests a visit with his uncle, Lord Audley?
6. Where does Captain Maldon claim George has gone? What proof does he have?
7. Who does George make guardian of his son, Georgie? Why?
8. When Robert shows George around Audley Court, what item causes George to become oddly quiet and thoughtful?
9. Why is a second invitation to Audley Court rescinded after George and Robert arrive in a local village?
10. What fear causes Robert to rush to the Isle of Wight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the novel. Where is the novel set? Why did the author choose this setting? In what time period is the novel set? Is this time period contemporary to the author? What impact did the author's life have on her story? How might the story have been different if set in a different place or time? What impact does the setting have on the themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss insanity. Why does Lady Audley begin claiming that Robert Audley is insane? Why does Lady Audley fall back on the idea of insanity? How does Lady Audley hope this claim against Robert will cause him to back off her secrets? Why does Lady Audley claim that Robert makes her uncomfortable and that her husband should have him declared insane? Is Robert insane? In whose family does insanity really run?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss two of the following literary techniques in detail, using information from the novel to support your conclusions:
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)