|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item does Robert see that seems to support the idea that George has left England?
2. Why does Robert spend a great deal of time around Lady Audley?
3. With whom has Phoebe shared a secret of Lady Audley's?
4. Who does Robert sea at the London train station?
5. Who is Captain Maldon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Alicia Audley think that Robert is in love with his uncle's wife?
2. When Robert shows George around Audley Court, what item causes George to become oddly quiet and thoughtful?
3. What is the cause of tension between Lucy Graham Audley and Alicia Audley?
4. Where does Robert believe George has gone when he wakes to find him missing?
5. Who does George make guardian of his son, Georgie? Why?
6. Why do Lady Audley's maid, Phoebe, and her fiance, Luke, ask Lady Audley for money?
7. Why does Lady Audley visit Robert at Mount Stanning?
8. Why is a second invitation to Audley Court rescinded after George and Robert arrive in a local village?
9. What instrument does Lady Audley play after dinner?
10. What characteristics of Lucy Graham's draw Lord Audley to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss family. Why does Helen Talboys desert her family, including her little boy, after her husband travels to Australia to make their fortune? Why does Captain Maldon drink away all the family's money? Why does George Talboys' father disinherit him for marrying Helen? Why does George's father not believe Robert's claim that George has been murdered? How does George's father change his tune after George is found alive and well? What accounts for this change in attitude?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of the novel. Where is the novel set? Why did the author choose this setting? In what time period is the novel set? Is this time period contemporary to the author? What impact did the author's life have on her story? How might the story have been different if set in a different place or time? What impact does the setting have on the themes of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's style. How is the novel structured? Is there anything unique about this structure? How might the novel have been more reader friendly? How might the style have impacted the themes in the novel? Does style affect story? In what ways? Discuss changes that might be made to the novel to make it more easily read by modern readers.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)