|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who finally arrives at Audley Court with news of the fire at Mount Stanning?
(d) A groom.
2. What idea does Phoebe plant in Lady Audley's mind during their conversation?
(a) Drinking to soothe stress.
(b) Murder to end extortion.
(c) A fire at the inn.
(d) A beating for Luke to stop the extortion.
3. Why does Robert not go to the police with Lady Audley's secret?
(a) To protect a woman he has come to love.
(b) To protect the family name.
(c) To protect George's family name.
(d) To protect George's son.
4. Who is Mrs. Balkham?
(a) A woman from Wildernsea who remembers Helen Talboys.
(b) A woman from Australia who knew George.
(c) A woman from London who was good friends with Lady Audley.
(d) A woman from the Isle of Wight who knows Captain Maldon.
5. Why does Robert encourage Alicia to travel with her father?
(a) To protect Lord Audley from allowing his shock to make him ill.
(b) To place her in a position to find a husband.
(c) To help make amends in their relationship.
(d) To save her from learning the truth about Lady Audley.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Robert determined to prove Lady Audley's connection to George's disappearance?
2. Who does Robert learn was Lucy Graham's employer before she came to Essex?
3. Who does Robert meet upon returning to Essex?
4. How does Robert reveal what he feels about Alicia?
5. What does Lady Audley claim she attempted to do when George first confronted her with the truth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lord Audley promise to do in order to care for Robert?
2. How does Lady Audley react when Robert confronts her with all the evidence he has gathered?
3. Why does the doctor change his mind and agree that Lucy should be institutionalized?
4. Why does George's sister follow Robert outside after he delivers the news that George has been murdered?
5. Why does Phoebe come to visit Lady Audley the night after Lady Audley's discussion with Robert?
6. What does Robert suggest is the cause of Lady Audley's lies and deceit?
7. What suggestion does Robert make to Lady Audley in connection to George's death?
8. What letter does Phoebe give to Lady Audley on her visit?
9. What spurs Robert into action in the investigation of George's disappearance?
10. What does Clara discover when she catches sight of Lady Audley?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)