|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Blumberg use to demonstrate a puncture wound?
2. What does Mariah tell her mother when she asks who has called so late?
3. What court does Judge Rothbottam preside over?
4. How does Ian know when to call Mariah?
5. What do Ian and Faith do outside when Mariah falls asleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joan Standish say in Mariah's defense at the custody hearing?
2. What is Faith doing early in the morning on October 7?
3. Why does Ian want to persuade Mariah to let Faith attempt to heal Michael?
4. Why did Ian's grandmother wear her religion like a Kevlar vest?
5. What is Father Rourke's analysis of Faith?
6. Why did Teresa Civernos decide to contact Petra Saganoff?
7. Why does Rabbi Weissman call Rabbi Daniel Solomon?
8. What does Mariah dream the night after she and Ian make love?
9. Does Ian believe that Michael was healed?
10. Why doesn't Mariah put people in her dollhouse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point in the novel, Millie tells Mariah that Faith will see her through the crises in Mariah's life. Explain whether Millie means Faith, the child; faith, a belief in something; or that both faith and Faith will see Mariah through the troubles in her life. Also explain how Millie believes Faith and/or faith will help Mariah.
Essay Topic 2
When Mariah hires Joan Standish to handle her divorce from Colin, Joan says that Colin has done Mariah a favor this time. Explain what Joan means by this statement and argue whether Colin did or did not do Mariah a favor by filing for divorce.
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, Mariah explains that she leaves nothing to chance with her dollhouses because she nails everything down so nothing can move, get lost, or be damaged. Explain whether or not Mariah tried to leave nothing to chance in her life when she was married to Colin.
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)