|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Father Rampini think it will take to wrap up the case he has come to decide in New Canaan?
2. What does Petra Saganoff say when Teresa Civernos says that her son's healing is not a joke?
3. For whom does Faith pour a bowl of Cheerios at the cabin in Kansas?
4. What do Kenzie and Faith do outside on Kenzie's first visit with Faith?
5. What does Ian do when Allen McManus shows up at the Winnebago?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Mariah put people in her dollhouse?
2. Why does Father Joseph call Monsignor O'Shaughnessy?
3. What does Ian tell Mariah about his childhood?
4. Why did Teresa Civernos decide to contact Petra Saganoff?
5. Why does Rabbi Weissman call Rabbi Daniel Solomon?
6. What is Faith doing early in the morning on October 7?
7. Why does Mariah get extremely angry when Ian takes Faith fishing?
8. Who is Malcom Metz?
9. Why does Ian not call his producer when he sees Mariah on the plane?
10. What does Mariah dream the night after she and Ian make love?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the novel, Millie tells Mariah that "being a family isn't a social construct, but an instinct." Using examples from the novel, explain why family is not a social construct, but an instinct.
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of Chapter 1, the author quotes Milton saying, "Millions of spiritual creatures walk the earth [u]nseen, both when we wake and when we sleep." How is the quote a theme in the novel? Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses both first person and third person point of view in the novel. Discuss whether you learn more about Mariah through the portions of the novel that are written in third or in first person.
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)