|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mariah wear to court on October 27?
2. How long does Father Rampini think it will take to wrap up the case he has come to decide in New Canaan?
3. How does Ian think Mariah should make the media work for her?
4. How does Ian know when to call Mariah?
5. How does Ian refer to Millie when he calls a reporter anonymously?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Mariah put people in her dollhouse?
2. What does Ian tell Mariah about his childhood?
3. Why did Ian's grandmother wear her religion like a Kevlar vest?
4. What is Faith doing early in the morning on October 7?
5. What did Mariah do as a child when a classmate told her she would go to hell if she was not baptized?
6. Why did Teresa Civernos decide to contact Petra Saganoff?
7. What does the Bishop decide to do about Faith?
8. What is Father Rourke's analysis of Faith?
9. Why does Ian want to persuade Mariah to let Faith attempt to heal Michael?
10. What does Mariah dream the night after she and Ian make love?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Motherhood is a frequent theme in the novel. At one point, Millie states that motherhood is a work in process. Discuss whether motherhood is or is not a work process.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Mariah feels as she has never measured up in her marriage. Explain why Mariah feels that she never quite measured up.
Essay Topic 3
A common topic of discussion in the novel is Mariah's and Colin's relationship and failed marriage. Discuss the factors that played a part in the failure of Mariah's and Colin's marriage. Was one of them more to blame than the other? Why or why not?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)