|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Rabbi Solomon from?
2. How many people come to early mass on October 10?
3. Who is the lawyer Colin hires?
4. What does Millie do when Petra Sagnoff shows up announced at Mariah's home?
5. How did Mariah and Colin meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ian want to persuade Mariah to let Faith attempt to heal Michael?
2. Why does Father MacReady think Faith sees God as female?
3. What does Kenzie see when she goes to the White's home?
4. Why does Ian not call his producer when he sees Mariah on the plane?
5. Who is Malcom Metz?
6. How was Rafael Civernos healed?
7. Why did Ian's grandmother wear her religion like a Kevlar vest?
8. What is Faith doing early in the morning on October 7?
9. Does Ian believe that Michael was healed?
10. Why did Teresa Civernos decide to contact Petra Saganoff?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Mariah hires Joan Standish to handle her divorce from Colin, Joan says that Colin has done Mariah a favor this time. Explain what Joan means by this statement and argue whether Colin did or did not do Mariah a favor by filing for divorce.
Essay Topic 2
On August 30, Faith "knows that truth can cause a sharp pain behind your eyes and that love sometimes feels like a fist around your throat. Explain how truth can cause pain and how love can be compared to a fist around the throat. Use examples from the novel that show when Faith might have experienced times when truth was painful and times when love felt like it was strangling her.
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of the novel, Millie tells Mariah that "being a family isn't a social construct, but an instinct." Using examples from the novel, explain why family is not a social construct, but an instinct.
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)