|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does a clerk disturb Judge Rothbottam when he is listening to Evita?
2. What bedtime story does Mariah try to tell Faith?
3. What gift does Father Rampini remember giving his son?
4. What does Father Rampini state is heresy?
5. What is Faith watching when Kenzie van der Hoven visits for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Teresa Civernos decide to contact Petra Saganoff?
2. Why does Malcom Metz say that the custody of Faith is a life and death matter?
3. Why does Ian not call his producer when he sees Mariah on the plane?
4. What does Ian tell Mariah about his childhood?
5. Who is Malcom Metz?
6. Why did Ian's grandmother wear her religion like a Kevlar vest?
7. What does Kenzie see when she goes to the White's home?
8. How was Rafael Civernos healed?
9. What does the MotherGod Society do when they first hear of Bishop Andrews' official denunciation of Faith?
10. What does the Bishop decide to do about Faith?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of Chapter 15, Picoult uses a quote from Sophocles. Explain how the novel shows that "[c]hildren are the anchors that hold a mother to life."
Essay Topic 2
A common topic of discussion in the novel is Mariah's and Colin's relationship and failed marriage. Discuss the factors that played a part in the failure of Mariah's and Colin's marriage. Was one of them more to blame than the other? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of the novel, Millie tells Mariah that "being a family isn't a social construct, but an instinct." Using examples from the novel, explain why family is not a social construct, but an instinct.
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)