|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reporter does Ian call anonymously?
2. What song does someone sing when Kenzie and Faith are outside?
3. What would Joan Standish rather do than watch "Hollywood Tonight!"?
4. What does Faith decide to do on October 12?
5. Where does Ian buy clothes in Kansas City?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mariah dream the night after she and Ian make love?
2. What does the MotherGod Society do when they first hear of Bishop Andrews' official denunciation of Faith?
3. Why does Malcom Metz say that the custody of Faith is a life and death matter?
4. Why does Father MacReady think Faith sees God as female?
5. Why doesn't Mariah put people in her dollhouse?
6. What does Kenzie see when she goes to the White's home?
7. Why does Ian not call his producer when he sees Mariah on the plane?
8. What does Joan Standish say in Mariah's defense at the custody hearing?
9. What is Faith doing early in the morning on October 7?
10. How was Rafael Civernos healed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several "miracles" happen in the novel. The author recounts Millie's apparent death from a heart attack, a couple who reconcile, a baby that is healed, and Ian's autistic brother. Using arguments that the characters use in the novel, argue whether or not any of these incidents could be considered miracles.
Essay Topic 2
On August 30, Faith "knows that truth can cause a sharp pain behind your eyes and that love sometimes feels like a fist around your throat. Explain how truth can cause pain and how love can be compared to a fist around the throat. Use examples from the novel that show when Faith might have experienced times when truth was painful and times when love felt like it was strangling her.
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of Chapter 11, is a quote from Isaiah 40:18, "To whom then will ye like God? or what likeness will ye compare unto him?" Explain why Faith may see God as a female.
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)