|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What song does someone sing when Kenzie and Faith are outside?
2. Who does Kenzie visit on November 18 at the temple?
3. Who does Mariah see at the grocery store on October 28?
4. What is Faith watching when Kenzie van der Hoven visits for the first time?
5. What does Dr. Blumberg use to demonstrate a puncture wound?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the novel, Millie tells Mariah that "being a family isn't a social construct, but an instinct." Using examples from the novel, explain why family is not a social construct, but an instinct.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 2, the author begins with a quote from Ian Fletcher that says, "Sure, lots of people believe in God. Lots of people used to believe the world was flat, too." Explain the meaning of this phrase and why Ian would compare a belief in God to a belief that the world is flat.
Essay Topic 3
On August 30, Faith "knows that truth can cause a sharp pain behind your eyes and that love sometimes feels like a fist around your throat. Explain how truth can cause pain and how love can be compared to a fist around the throat. Use examples from the novel that show when Faith might have experienced times when truth was painful and times when love felt like it was strangling her.
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)