|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ian tell Metz when asked about Faith's alleged stigmata?
2. When was the first time Colin kissed Mariah?
3. Why does Mariah take Faith and leave on October 19?
4. Why does a clerk disturb Judge Rothbottam when he is listening to Evita?
5. What do Ian and Faith do outside when Mariah falls asleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kenzie see when she goes to the White's home?
2. What is Faith doing early in the morning on October 7?
3. Why does Father MacReady think Faith sees God as female?
4. What is Father Rourke's analysis of Faith?
5. What does the MotherGod Society do when they first hear of Bishop Andrews' official denunciation of Faith?
6. Why does Ian want to persuade Mariah to let Faith attempt to heal Michael?
7. Why does Father Joseph call Monsignor O'Shaughnessy?
8. Does Ian believe that Michael was healed?
9. Why did Teresa Civernos decide to contact Petra Saganoff?
10. What does Mariah dream the night after she and Ian make love?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Mariah White might be considered the main character in the novel, other characters might also be considered a main character. Explain what other character(s) are vital to the development and resolution of the conflict and why they might be a main character.
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of the novel, Millie tells Mariah that "being a family isn't a social construct, but an instinct." Using examples from the novel, explain why family is not a social construct, but an instinct.
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of Chapter 15, Picoult uses a quote from Sophocles. Explain how the novel shows that "[c]hildren are the anchors that hold a mother to life."
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)