|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Father Rampini think it will take to wrap up the case he has come to decide in New Canaan?
2. What is Faith watching when Kenzie van der Hoven visits for the first time?
3. What does Millie do when Petra Sagnoff shows up announced at Mariah's home?
4. How does Ian know when to call Mariah?
5. What does Ian compare Faith's hands to after the doctors bandage them?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Mariah put people in her dollhouse?
2. Why does Ian want to persuade Mariah to let Faith attempt to heal Michael?
3. Why does Rabbi Weissman call Rabbi Daniel Solomon?
4. Who is Malcom Metz?
5. What does Kenzie see when she goes to the White's home?
6. Why does Mariah get extremely angry when Ian takes Faith fishing?
7. What is Father Rourke's analysis of Faith?
8. What does Mariah dream the night after she and Ian make love?
9. Why does Ian not call his producer when he sees Mariah on the plane?
10. Does Ian believe that Michael was healed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, Mariah explains that she leaves nothing to chance with her dollhouses because she nails everything down so nothing can move, get lost, or be damaged. Explain whether or not Mariah tried to leave nothing to chance in her life when she was married to Colin.
Essay Topic 2
On August 30, Faith "knows that truth can cause a sharp pain behind your eyes and that love sometimes feels like a fist around your throat. Explain how truth can cause pain and how love can be compared to a fist around the throat. Use examples from the novel that show when Faith might have experienced times when truth was painful and times when love felt like it was strangling her.
Essay Topic 3
A common topic of discussion in the novel is Mariah's and Colin's relationship and failed marriage. Discuss the factors that played a part in the failure of Mariah's and Colin's marriage. Was one of them more to blame than the other? Why or why not?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)