|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Kenzie and Faith do outside on Kenzie's first visit with Faith?
2. What does Faith decide to do on October 12?
3. Who does Rabbi Weissman call regarding Faith?
4. What is Rabbi Solomon wearing?
5. Who does Kenzie visit on November 18 at the temple?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Malcom Metz?
2. Why did Ian's grandmother wear her religion like a Kevlar vest?
3. What is Father Rourke's analysis of Faith?
4. What does the MotherGod Society do when they first hear of Bishop Andrews' official denunciation of Faith?
5. Why does Father Joseph call Monsignor O'Shaughnessy?
6. Why doesn't Mariah put people in her dollhouse?
7. Why is Father Joseph MacReady stunned when only eight people attend early morning mass?
8. When did Father Rampini decide to become a priest?
9. Does Ian believe that Michael was healed?
10. What does Mariah dream the night after she and Ian make love?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 2, the author begins with a quote from Ian Fletcher that says, "Sure, lots of people believe in God. Lots of people used to believe the world was flat, too." Explain the meaning of this phrase and why Ian would compare a belief in God to a belief that the world is flat.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 6, Faith's hands begin to bleed for no apparent reason. Argue why these wounds are or are not stigmata. Use arguments the characters use in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of Chapter 15, Picoult uses a quote from Sophocles. Explain how the novel shows that "[c]hildren are the anchors that hold a mother to life."
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)