|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Faith doing when Kenzie comes for her second visit?
2. How does Ian think Mariah should make the media work for her?
3. Why does Mariah take Faith and leave on October 19?
4. How many people come to early mass on October 10?
5. What does Ian do when Allen McManus shows up at the Winnebago?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Father Joseph MacReady stunned when only eight people attend early morning mass?
2. Who is Malcom Metz?
3. What does Mariah dream the night after she and Ian make love?
4. Why does Rabbi Weissman call Rabbi Daniel Solomon?
5. Why does Mariah get extremely angry when Ian takes Faith fishing?
6. What is Faith doing early in the morning on October 7?
7. Does Ian believe that Michael was healed?
8. What does Ian tell Mariah about his childhood?
9. When did Father Rampini decide to become a priest?
10. Why does Father Joseph call Monsignor O'Shaughnessy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Motherhood is a frequent theme in the novel. At one point, Millie states that motherhood is a work in process. Discuss whether motherhood is or is not a work process.
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of Chapter 15, Picoult uses a quote from Sophocles. Explain how the novel shows that "[c]hildren are the anchors that hold a mother to life."
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 6, Faith's hands begin to bleed for no apparent reason. Argue why these wounds are or are not stigmata. Use arguments the characters use in the novel.
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)