|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ian do when Allen McManus shows up at the Winnebago?
2. Who does Mariah see on their flight to Kansas City?
3. Why did Colin kiss Mariah the first time?
4. What is the title for the official in the Catholic church whose sole responsibility is to find holes in cases of proposed sainthood?
5. McManus uses a computer to hack into privileged information of the White family. What information does he find?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, Mariah explains that she leaves nothing to chance with her dollhouses because she nails everything down so nothing can move, get lost, or be damaged. Explain whether or not Mariah tried to leave nothing to chance in her life when she was married to Colin.
Essay Topic 2
Several "miracles" happen in the novel. The author recounts Millie's apparent death from a heart attack, a couple who reconcile, a baby that is healed, and Ian's autistic brother. Using arguments that the characters use in the novel, argue whether or not any of these incidents could be considered miracles.
Essay Topic 3
At one point in the novel, Millie tells Mariah that Faith will see her through the crises in Mariah's life. Explain whether Millie means Faith, the child; faith, a belief in something; or that both faith and Faith will see Mariah through the troubles in her life. Also explain how Millie believes Faith and/or faith will help Mariah.
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)