|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gobind Singh struck up a friendship with who Paris that influenced his work?
2. What do the two people request of Shanta?
3. Who does Will ask about when he sees Dr. Robert in the morning?
4. What could prevent the spread of Palanese knowledge of happiness to other countries?
5. Who was the only person Will had ever loved?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between the Palanese use of Pavlovian conditioning versus the rest of the world?
2. How are Stalin and Hitler reduced in Chapter 9?
3. What does Will notice about the women on the island?
4. What is a Rakshasi, and what is the Rakshasi Hornpipe?
5. Describe how Dr. Robert deals with Lakshmi's death.
6. What does Will say about what Colonel Dipa will bring to the island?
7. What is Will's incarnation of evil?
8. In Pala, what is "grace" and how does this version of "grace" differ from ours?
9. What does the mountain climb ordeal teach the youth of Pala and what happens afterwards?
10. What horrible things befell Aunt Mary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the Palanese prevent a great leader from arising?
Essay Topic 2
Quote and explain Shanta's speech about Wisdom. Repeat the speech in your own words.
Essay Topic 3
How do the Palanese justify Artificial Insemination? What is your opinion about the way the people of Pala reproduce selectively? Do you think that it is justifiable in their logic? Does this cater to your religious standpoints or not? How do you feel personally about selective breeding in this sense?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)