|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What religious word is mentioned throughout Chapter 10?
2. What do the Palanese do about individuality?
3. Who picks Will up?
4. What does Will say about the light?
5. How is it that he fathered their child?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Murugan's interest in consumer goods benefit Colonel Dipa?
2. What does Will tell Susila on impulse and how does he expect her to react?
3. How does the Rani perceive Palanese education?
4. How are Stalin and Hitler reduced in Chapter 9?
5. What is Shanta's opinion in regards to snakes and snakebites?
6. Why does Murugan view the ceremony at the temple with open contempt?
7. What does Will notice about the women on the island?
8. Why does Murugan believe that the people of Pala won't accept the lure of consumer goods?
9. What is Leela Rao's position on the island? What makes her important?
10. What is the idea behind repetition in a religious nature?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The people of Pala deal with pain and fear far differently than we do. How is it different? Compare and then contrast it to the way we handle these two emotions. Which do you think is more productive? Which do you think is psychologically more beneficial? Which do you think would expedite the healing process? Which is easier?
Essay Topic 2
How do the Palanese prevent a great leader from arising?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the average viewpoint of the rest of the world over those who live in Pala. How do they differ medicinally, in world outlook, in the way children are brought up, etc? In what ways are the viewpoints most dramatic?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)