|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of staff does Will use?
2. What is the benefit of being able to enter deep trances?
3. How does WIll react to the Rani's letter?
4. What does the Rani think about a MAC?
5. What is Buddha sitting on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What horrible things befell Aunt Mary?
2. Why does Murugan view the ceremony at the temple with open contempt?
3. What is the idea behind repetition in a religious nature?
4. What is the symbolism of the Scarecrows? Quote from the book and then simplify.
5. Explain why Mrs. Narayan is a justified optimist.
6. What is the difference between the Palanese use of Pavlovian conditioning versus the rest of the world?
7. Why does Murugan believe that the people of Pala won't accept the lure of consumer goods?
8. What are the differences between what Will remembers about the Oedipus play and what Mary recounts?
9. What does Will notice about the differences between Lakshmi and Aunt Mary?
10. What is Shanta's opinion in regards to snakes and snakebites?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bahu believes that Pala is so perfect that it is an "affront to God." What do you think about this statement? Argue either for or against this statement in at least four paragraphs, using quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 2
What is significant about Lakshmi's death? What is significant about how the people who love her react? What is the primary difference in the way death is approached on Pala and here?
Essay Topic 3
The people of Pala deal with pain and fear far differently than we do. How is it different? Compare and then contrast it to the way we handle these two emotions. Which do you think is more productive? Which do you think is psychologically more beneficial? Which do you think would expedite the healing process? Which is easier?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)