|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the crime of the Palanese?
2. What is Murugan looking at that he shouldn't have been?
3. How is it that he fathered their child?
4. What did Susila do that helped her feel better?
5. What is the title of the book Murugan is reading in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the advice to every pair of lovers?
2. What horrible things befell Aunt Mary?
3. What is a Rakshasi, and what is the Rakshasi Hornpipe?
4. In Pala, what is "grace" and how does this version of "grace" differ from ours?
5. What is the difference between the Palanese use of Pavlovian conditioning versus the rest of the world?
6. Describe how Dr. Robert deals with Lakshmi's death.
7. What are the differences between what Will remembers about the Oedipus play and what Mary recounts?
8. What does Will notice about the differences between Lakshmi and Aunt Mary?
9. What is Will's incarnation of evil?
10. Why does Murugan believe that the people of Pala won't accept the lure of consumer goods?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The people of Pala deal with pain and fear far differently than we do. How is it different? Compare and then contrast it to the way we handle these two emotions. Which do you think is more productive? Which do you think is psychologically more beneficial? Which do you think would expedite the healing process? Which is easier?
Essay Topic 2
What could lead Will to believe that Murugan was having a sexual relationship with Colonel Dipa? Is this a valid conclusion based on the evidence in the first few chapters? What argues for this logic? What argues against it? Quote your supporting statements from the book.
Essay Topic 3
What is significant about Lakshmi's death? What is significant about how the people who love her react? What is the primary difference in the way death is approached on Pala and here?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)