|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shiva-Nataraja do?
2. What scientist does Will make an allusion to?
3. What is Murugan looking at that he shouldn't have been?
4. How is Artificial Insemination justified religiously?
5. What poet is mentioned?
Short Essay Questions
1. What horrible things befell Aunt Mary?
2. What is Shanta's opinion in regards to snakes and snakebites?
3. How are Stalin and Hitler reduced in Chapter 9?
4. What is the most dangerous element to recognize in children and why is it the most dangerous?
5. What is the idea behind repetition in a religious nature?
6. Why do the Palanese accept the use of symbolism in religion, though don't encourage it?
7. What is Leela Rao's position on the island? What makes her important?
8. How does AI contribute to a better destiny for the people of Pala?
9. Why does Murugan view the ceremony at the temple with open contempt?
10. How are animals treated on Pala versus the rest of the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Go into detail on how the Palanese deal with anger, and conflict. Explain how we deal with these two things, or at least what seem to be the most common methods for dealing with these two things. Use quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Compare Palanese medicine to ours. Which do you think is more effective? What about the rant that Ms. Radha goes into about health care outside of Pala? Can you see any truth to that argument? Think of one situation in which we treat but do not cure the disease. Quote supporting text from the book or from other sources.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the social benefits and possible downfalls of a MAC family over a dysfunctional family of our world. What are the similarities and differences? What are the pro's and con's?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)