|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Will leave with?
2. What lands on the altar in the service?
3. Who was the only person Will had ever loved?
4. Who picks Will up?
5. What are the children's chores for the afternoon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Dr. Robert deals with Lakshmi's death.
2. Why do the Palanese accept the use of symbolism in religion, though don't encourage it?
3. How does the Rani perceive Palanese education?
4. What is the advice to every pair of lovers?
5. What is the most dangerous element to recognize in children and why is it the most dangerous?
6. How are animals treated on Pala versus the rest of the world?
7. What is Leela Rao's position on the island? What makes her important?
8. What does the mountain climb ordeal teach the youth of Pala and what happens afterwards?
9. What does Will say about what Colonel Dipa will bring to the island?
10. What does Will notice about the differences between Lakshmi and Aunt Mary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare what Will says about what boys and girls are for around the world. Compare that to what the Palanese know boys and girls are for. How does this make you feel about our world? What do you think would need to change in order for this viewpoint to come to pass? Do you think the world of Pala is attainable or not? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The people of Pala deal with pain and fear far differently than we do. How is it different? Compare and then contrast it to the way we handle these two emotions. Which do you think is more productive? Which do you think is psychologically more beneficial? Which do you think would expedite the healing process? Which is easier?
Essay Topic 3
Why is the use of distance regarding landscapes the most important aspects of a religious painting, in the opinion of Vijaya? Do you agree with this logic? Why or why not?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)