|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who picks Will up?
2. What does Dr. Robert say about western intellectuals?
3. What does Vijaya predict the average IQ will be on Pala in a century?
4. What is Leela's vocation?
5. What kind of staff does Will use?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Will's incarnation of evil?
2. Why does Murugan believe that the people of Pala won't accept the lure of consumer goods?
3. What is Leela Rao's position on the island? What makes her important?
4. What is Shanta's opinion in regards to snakes and snakebites?
5. What is the advice to every pair of lovers?
6. What does Will notice about the differences between Lakshmi and Aunt Mary?
7. Describe how Dr. Robert deals with Lakshmi's death.
8. What does the mountain climb ordeal teach the youth of Pala and what happens afterwards?
9. What is a Rakshasi, and what is the Rakshasi Hornpipe?
10. How are Stalin and Hitler reduced in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Palanese medicine to ours. Which do you think is more effective? What about the rant that Ms. Radha goes into about health care outside of Pala? Can you see any truth to that argument? Think of one situation in which we treat but do not cure the disease. Quote supporting text from the book or from other sources.
Essay Topic 2
How do the Palanese deal with grief? How does it differ from the way we deal with it if we used Will's example? Which do you think is more healthy, theirs or ours?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss reasons why Will may have suddenly decided to admit to Susila his underhanded dealings. Why do you think Susila seems to have forgiven him so immediately? What is the real problem of Pala that she is aware of and why is it a major problem?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)