|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many key figures in the administration are people working on?
2. What does Will describe the Moksha-medicine experience as?
3. What was the name of the painter Will took an interest in?
4. God ____ ______ ______?
5. What kind of marmalade does Will use?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Murugan believe that the people of Pala won't accept the lure of consumer goods?
2. How are animals treated on Pala versus the rest of the world?
3. Why does Murugan view the ceremony at the temple with open contempt?
4. What does Will tell Susila on impulse and how does he expect her to react?
5. How are Stalin and Hitler reduced in Chapter 9?
6. In Pala, what is "grace" and how does this version of "grace" differ from ours?
7. What is the idea behind repetition in a religious nature?
8. What does Will notice about the differences between Lakshmi and Aunt Mary?
9. What is Shanta's opinion in regards to snakes and snakebites?
10. What is the advice to every pair of lovers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the average viewpoint of the rest of the world over those who live in Pala. How do they differ medicinally, in world outlook, in the way children are brought up, etc? In what ways are the viewpoints most dramatic?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Palanese medicine to ours. Which do you think is more effective? What about the rant that Ms. Radha goes into about health care outside of Pala? Can you see any truth to that argument? Think of one situation in which we treat but do not cure the disease. Quote supporting text from the book or from other sources.
Essay Topic 3
Bahu believes that Pala is so perfect that it is an "affront to God." What do you think about this statement? Argue either for or against this statement in at least four paragraphs, using quotes from the book.
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)