|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shiva-Nataraja do?
2. Where does Will want to go in the morning?
3. How did Will feel before he had met Molly?
4. What is the name of the play that Mary likes?
5. How old is the baby Shanta is nursing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Stalin and Hitler reduced in Chapter 9?
2. How does the Rani perceive Palanese education?
3. How does AI contribute to a better destiny for the people of Pala?
4. How does Murugan's interest in consumer goods benefit Colonel Dipa?
5. What does Will tell Susila on impulse and how does he expect her to react?
6. What is the idea behind repetition in a religious nature?
7. What does the mountain climb ordeal teach the youth of Pala and what happens afterwards?
8. What does Moksha-medicine do for the Palanese?
9. What is a Rakshasi, and what is the Rakshasi Hornpipe?
10. What is Leela Rao's position on the island? What makes her important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the title of the book Murugan is reading in Chapter 10? How does this title juxtapose Murugan's beliefs against those of the citizens of Pala? Can you make a similar juxtaposition in our culture? How is this relevant to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Quote and explain Shanta's speech about Wisdom. Repeat the speech in your own words.
Essay Topic 3
Why is the use of distance regarding landscapes the most important aspects of a religious painting, in the opinion of Vijaya? Do you agree with this logic? Why or why not?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)