|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lands on the altar in the service?
2. What is the name of the parrot at Vijaya's?
3. What is the word they whisper in a prayer for peace?
4. Who is meeting Will and Vijaya upon their arrival at the school?
5. What religious word is mentioned throughout Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the differences between what Will remembers about the Oedipus play and what Mary recounts?
2. What horrible things befell Aunt Mary?
3. How does Murugan's interest in consumer goods benefit Colonel Dipa?
4. Why do the Palanese accept the use of symbolism in religion, though don't encourage it?
5. What is the most dangerous element to recognize in children and why is it the most dangerous?
6. How are animals treated on Pala versus the rest of the world?
7. What does Will say about what Colonel Dipa will bring to the island?
8. What is the idea behind repetition in a religious nature?
9. Describe how Dr. Robert deals with Lakshmi's death.
10. What does Moksha-medicine do for the Palanese?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Which is better? To be born stupid into an intelligent society, or intelligent into an insane one?" Why is it better? Support your argument with at least three major points and three supporting statements for each major point.
Essay Topic 2
Put the section Will reads in "What's What" in chapter eleven into your own words. Explain what you think of the things mentioned therein and what significance it could possibly hold for the rest of the world.
Essay Topic 3
How do the Palanese prevent a great leader from arising?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)