|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the baby Shanta is nursing?
2. What is the name of the play that Mary likes?
3. God ____ ______ ______?
4. What scientist does Will make an allusion to?
5. Who does Will remember that hurts him so much from his childhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Shanta's opinion in regards to snakes and snakebites?
2. What does Will say about what Colonel Dipa will bring to the island?
3. What does Moksha-medicine do for the Palanese?
4. What does Will notice about the women on the island?
5. What is Will's incarnation of evil?
6. In Pala, what is "grace" and how does this version of "grace" differ from ours?
7. What is Leela Rao's position on the island? What makes her important?
8. How does Murugan's interest in consumer goods benefit Colonel Dipa?
9. Explain why Mrs. Narayan is a justified optimist.
10. What does Will notice about the differences between Lakshmi and Aunt Mary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Palanese medicine to ours. Which do you think is more effective? What about the rant that Ms. Radha goes into about health care outside of Pala? Can you see any truth to that argument? Think of one situation in which we treat but do not cure the disease. Quote supporting text from the book or from other sources.
Essay Topic 2
Write a 2000-word essay on the contrasts of light and darkness throughout the book, and the significance of this theme to the plot development. Why do you think the author chooses to use this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Compare what Will says about what boys and girls are for around the world. Compare that to what the Palanese know boys and girls are for. How does this make you feel about our world? What do you think would need to change in order for this viewpoint to come to pass? Do you think the world of Pala is attainable or not? Why or why not?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)