|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Will say about the light?
2. What was significant about Gobind's grandmother?
3. Where are the seeds from?
4. Why didn't the Palanese ever export his work?
5. Who is one of Murugan's heroes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Will say about what Colonel Dipa will bring to the island?
2. Describe how Dr. Robert deals with Lakshmi's death.
3. What does Will tell Susila on impulse and how does he expect her to react?
4. Explain why Mrs. Narayan is a justified optimist.
5. What is the difference between the Palanese use of Pavlovian conditioning versus the rest of the world?
6. What is Shanta's opinion in regards to snakes and snakebites?
7. What is the idea behind repetition in a religious nature?
8. How does AI contribute to a better destiny for the people of Pala?
9. Why does Murugan believe that the people of Pala won't accept the lure of consumer goods?
10. How does Murugan's interest in consumer goods benefit Colonel Dipa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Palanese medicine to ours. Which do you think is more effective? What about the rant that Ms. Radha goes into about health care outside of Pala? Can you see any truth to that argument? Think of one situation in which we treat but do not cure the disease. Quote supporting text from the book or from other sources.
Essay Topic 2
Quote and explain Shanta's speech about Wisdom. Repeat the speech in your own words.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the social benefits and possible downfalls of a MAC family over a dysfunctional family of our world. What are the similarities and differences? What are the pro's and con's?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)