|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Will want to call out to the Rani?
2. Which ruler does Will imagine when looking at the scarecrows?
3. What did Will's teachers try to do about people's differences?
4. How is Artificial Insemination justified religiously?
5. What two physical traits does Shanta say her baby will possess?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Pala, what is "grace" and how does this version of "grace" differ from ours?
2. What is Will's incarnation of evil?
3. What does Will notice about the differences between Lakshmi and Aunt Mary?
4. What does Will tell Susila on impulse and how does he expect her to react?
5. Why do the Palanese accept the use of symbolism in religion, though don't encourage it?
6. What is the most dangerous element to recognize in children and why is it the most dangerous?
7. What, in Shanta's words, makes Pala a nice place? Repeat in your own words.
8. What is the idea behind repetition in a religious nature?
9. How are animals treated on Pala versus the rest of the world?
10. What is the advice to every pair of lovers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the social benefits and possible downfalls of a MAC family over a dysfunctional family of our world. What are the similarities and differences? What are the pro's and con's?
Essay Topic 2
What could lead Will to believe that Murugan was having a sexual relationship with Colonel Dipa? Is this a valid conclusion based on the evidence in the first few chapters? What argues for this logic? What argues against it? Quote your supporting statements from the book.
Essay Topic 3
What is significant about Lakshmi's death? What is significant about how the people who love her react? What is the primary difference in the way death is approached on Pala and here?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)