|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last word the Mynahs spoke?
2. What does the Rani think about a MAC?
3. What urgent matter did the Rani call to discuss with Will?
4. What do the two people request of Shanta?
5. Who shows up at Shanta and Vijaya's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Will's incarnation of evil?
2. What is the idea behind repetition in a religious nature?
3. How are animals treated on Pala versus the rest of the world?
4. What horrible things befell Aunt Mary?
5. What is the advice to every pair of lovers?
6. Explain why Mrs. Narayan is a justified optimist.
7. Describe how Dr. Robert deals with Lakshmi's death.
8. What does Will notice about the differences between Lakshmi and Aunt Mary?
9. Why does Murugan view the ceremony at the temple with open contempt?
10. What does Will notice about the women on the island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare what Will says about what boys and girls are for around the world. Compare that to what the Palanese know boys and girls are for. How does this make you feel about our world? What do you think would need to change in order for this viewpoint to come to pass? Do you think the world of Pala is attainable or not? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Palanese medicine to ours. Which do you think is more effective? What about the rant that Ms. Radha goes into about health care outside of Pala? Can you see any truth to that argument? Think of one situation in which we treat but do not cure the disease. Quote supporting text from the book or from other sources.
Essay Topic 3
Put the section Will reads in "What's What" in chapter eleven into your own words. Explain what you think of the things mentioned therein and what significance it could possibly hold for the rest of the world.
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)