|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is one of Murugan's heroes?
2. What is the name of the parrot at Vijaya's?
3. How many deep breaths are required for a child having a fit?
4. Who was the only person Will had ever loved?
5. What is the benefit of being able to enter deep trances?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Murugan believe that the people of Pala won't accept the lure of consumer goods?
2. Explain why Mrs. Narayan is a justified optimist.
3. What is Leela Rao's position on the island? What makes her important?
4. What does Will notice about the women on the island?
5. How are Stalin and Hitler reduced in Chapter 9?
6. In Pala, what is "grace" and how does this version of "grace" differ from ours?
7. What is the most dangerous element to recognize in children and why is it the most dangerous?
8. What is the difference between the Palanese use of Pavlovian conditioning versus the rest of the world?
9. What is the symbolism of the Scarecrows? Quote from the book and then simplify.
10. What is a Rakshasi, and what is the Rakshasi Hornpipe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Which is better? To be born stupid into an intelligent society, or intelligent into an insane one?" Why is it better? Support your argument with at least three major points and three supporting statements for each major point.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the social benefits and possible downfalls of a MAC family over a dysfunctional family of our world. What are the similarities and differences? What are the pro's and con's?
Essay Topic 3
Bahu believes that Pala is so perfect that it is an "affront to God." What do you think about this statement? Argue either for or against this statement in at least four paragraphs, using quotes from the book.
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)