|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What poet is mentioned?
2. What is the crime of the Palanese?
3. Which ruler does Will imagine when looking at the scarecrows?
4. What are the scarecrows?
5. Who is Muchalinda?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are animals treated on Pala versus the rest of the world?
2. What does Will say about what Colonel Dipa will bring to the island?
3. What is the difference between the Palanese use of Pavlovian conditioning versus the rest of the world?
4. What is the advice to every pair of lovers?
5. What does Will notice about the women on the island?
6. What is Shanta's opinion in regards to snakes and snakebites?
7. What is the most dangerous element to recognize in children and why is it the most dangerous?
8. Why does Murugan believe that the people of Pala won't accept the lure of consumer goods?
9. What is the idea behind repetition in a religious nature?
10. In Pala, what is "grace" and how does this version of "grace" differ from ours?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the social benefits and possible downfalls of a MAC family over a dysfunctional family of our world. What are the similarities and differences? What are the pro's and con's?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the title of the book Murugan is reading in Chapter 10? How does this title juxtapose Murugan's beliefs against those of the citizens of Pala? Can you make a similar juxtaposition in our culture? How is this relevant to the story?
Essay Topic 3
How do the Palanese justify Artificial Insemination? What is your opinion about the way the people of Pala reproduce selectively? Do you think that it is justifiable in their logic? Does this cater to your religious standpoints or not? How do you feel personally about selective breeding in this sense?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)