|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Muchalinda?
2. What kind of marmalade does Will use?
3. How do the Palanese teach in comparison to us?
4. Who calls Will while he is reading?
5. What is Murugan looking at that he shouldn't have been?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Leela Rao's position on the island? What makes her important?
2. Explain why Mrs. Narayan is a justified optimist.
3. How are animals treated on Pala versus the rest of the world?
4. Why does Murugan believe that the people of Pala won't accept the lure of consumer goods?
5. What does Will tell Susila on impulse and how does he expect her to react?
6. What is Will's incarnation of evil?
7. What is the advice to every pair of lovers?
8. What does Will say about what Colonel Dipa will bring to the island?
9. What is a Rakshasi, and what is the Rakshasi Hornpipe?
10. What horrible things befell Aunt Mary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Pala's views on literature, and the purpose literature serves in our culture. Whose version of what literature is and does more accurate? Is it entirely subjective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the title of the book Murugan is reading in Chapter 10? How does this title juxtapose Murugan's beliefs against those of the citizens of Pala? Can you make a similar juxtaposition in our culture? How is this relevant to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Put the section Will reads in "What's What" in chapter eleven into your own words. Explain what you think of the things mentioned therein and what significance it could possibly hold for the rest of the world.
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)