|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Vijaya compares himself to what animal?
2. Who shows up at Shanta and Vijaya's house?
3. Who turns out to be the father of the baby Shanta is nursing?
4. Where does Will want to go in the morning?
5. How does Murugan view the ceremony?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Will notice about the differences between Lakshmi and Aunt Mary?
2. How does Murugan's interest in consumer goods benefit Colonel Dipa?
3. What is the difference between the Palanese use of Pavlovian conditioning versus the rest of the world?
4. What is the symbolism of the Scarecrows? Quote from the book and then simplify.
5. What does the mountain climb ordeal teach the youth of Pala and what happens afterwards?
6. Why does Murugan believe that the people of Pala won't accept the lure of consumer goods?
7. Why does Murugan view the ceremony at the temple with open contempt?
8. How does the Rani perceive Palanese education?
9. Why do the Palanese accept the use of symbolism in religion, though don't encourage it?
10. How are animals treated on Pala versus the rest of the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a 2000-word essay on the contrasts of light and darkness throughout the book, and the significance of this theme to the plot development. Why do you think the author chooses to use this theme?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the social benefits and possible downfalls of a MAC family over a dysfunctional family of our world. What are the similarities and differences? What are the pro's and con's?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Pala's views on literature, and the purpose literature serves in our culture. Whose version of what literature is and does more accurate? Is it entirely subjective? Why or why not?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)