|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Palanese do about individuality?
2. Vijaya compares himself to what animal?
3. Who comes to alert Susila about Lakshmi?
4. How many key figures in the administration are people working on?
5. Who does Will leave with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Murugan view the ceremony at the temple with open contempt?
2. What are the differences between what Will remembers about the Oedipus play and what Mary recounts?
3. What is the difference between the Palanese use of Pavlovian conditioning versus the rest of the world?
4. What does Will say about what Colonel Dipa will bring to the island?
5. What is the most dangerous element to recognize in children and why is it the most dangerous?
6. In Pala, what is "grace" and how does this version of "grace" differ from ours?
7. What does Will tell Susila on impulse and how does he expect her to react?
8. What is the idea behind repetition in a religious nature?
9. Why does Murugan believe that the people of Pala won't accept the lure of consumer goods?
10. What is a Rakshasi, and what is the Rakshasi Hornpipe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Which is better? To be born stupid into an intelligent society, or intelligent into an insane one?" Why is it better? Support your argument with at least three major points and three supporting statements for each major point.
Essay Topic 2
Put the section Will reads in "What's What" in chapter eleven into your own words. Explain what you think of the things mentioned therein and what significance it could possibly hold for the rest of the world.
Essay Topic 3
Why is the use of distance regarding landscapes the most important aspects of a religious painting, in the opinion of Vijaya? Do you agree with this logic? Why or why not?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)