|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Susila do that helped her feel better?
2. What kind of marmalade does Will use?
3. How old is the baby Shanta is nursing?
4. What makes Leela happy?
5. What color was the dog that greeted Will at Vijaya's bungalow?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Will notice about the women on the island?
2. What does Will tell Susila on impulse and how does he expect her to react?
3. What horrible things befell Aunt Mary?
4. Why does Mrs. Rao believe that Pala is the place for stupid people?
5. What is the most dangerous element to recognize in children and why is it the most dangerous?
6. How are Stalin and Hitler reduced in Chapter 9?
7. What does Will notice about the differences between Lakshmi and Aunt Mary?
8. What is the idea behind repetition in a religious nature?
9. What, in Shanta's words, makes Pala a nice place? Repeat in your own words.
10. What does Moksha-medicine do for the Palanese?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare what Will says about what boys and girls are for around the world. Compare that to what the Palanese know boys and girls are for. How does this make you feel about our world? What do you think would need to change in order for this viewpoint to come to pass? Do you think the world of Pala is attainable or not? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Put the section Will reads in "What's What" in chapter eleven into your own words. Explain what you think of the things mentioned therein and what significance it could possibly hold for the rest of the world.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the title of the book Murugan is reading in Chapter 10? How does this title juxtapose Murugan's beliefs against those of the citizens of Pala? Can you make a similar juxtaposition in our culture? How is this relevant to the story?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)