|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is capable in a very deep trance?
2. Who shows up at Shanta and Vijaya's house?
3. What color is Leela Rao wearing?
4. How many years before the rest of the world did Palanese figure out AI?
5. What musician does Susila put on?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Rani perceive Palanese education?
2. Why does Murugan view the ceremony at the temple with open contempt?
3. What are the differences between what Will remembers about the Oedipus play and what Mary recounts?
4. What is the difference between the Palanese use of Pavlovian conditioning versus the rest of the world?
5. Why does Mrs. Rao believe that Pala is the place for stupid people?
6. Describe how Dr. Robert deals with Lakshmi's death.
7. What is Leela Rao's position on the island? What makes her important?
8. What is Shanta's opinion in regards to snakes and snakebites?
9. Explain why Mrs. Narayan is a justified optimist.
10. What is the symbolism of the Scarecrows? Quote from the book and then simplify.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the social benefits and possible downfalls of a MAC family over a dysfunctional family of our world. What are the similarities and differences? What are the pro's and con's?
Essay Topic 2
"Which is better? To be born stupid into an intelligent society, or intelligent into an insane one?" Why is it better? Support your argument with at least three major points and three supporting statements for each major point.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the average viewpoint of the rest of the world over those who live in Pala. How do they differ medicinally, in world outlook, in the way children are brought up, etc? In what ways are the viewpoints most dramatic?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)