|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of marmalade does Will use?
2. What lands on the altar in the service?
3. What is the word they whisper in a prayer for peace?
4. What does Will describe the Moksha-medicine experience as?
5. How many years before the rest of the world did Palanese figure out AI?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Will notice about the women on the island?
2. Why does Murugan view the ceremony at the temple with open contempt?
3. Why does Murugan believe that the people of Pala won't accept the lure of consumer goods?
4. What does the mountain climb ordeal teach the youth of Pala and what happens afterwards?
5. What is Shanta's opinion in regards to snakes and snakebites?
6. In Pala, what is "grace" and how does this version of "grace" differ from ours?
7. What is the advice to every pair of lovers?
8. What does Moksha-medicine do for the Palanese?
9. What does Will say about what Colonel Dipa will bring to the island?
10. Why do the Palanese accept the use of symbolism in religion, though don't encourage it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Which is better? To be born stupid into an intelligent society, or intelligent into an insane one?" Why is it better? Support your argument with at least three major points and three supporting statements for each major point.
Essay Topic 2
Quote and explain Shanta's speech about Wisdom. Repeat the speech in your own words.
Essay Topic 3
The people of Pala deal with pain and fear far differently than we do. How is it different? Compare and then contrast it to the way we handle these two emotions. Which do you think is more productive? Which do you think is psychologically more beneficial? Which do you think would expedite the healing process? Which is easier?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)