|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Will's perception of the relationship between Murugan and Dipa?
2. What dialect of English did the Palanese have?
3. What does Susila do for Will?
4. How often does mail leave the island?
5. How many children were in James and Janet's family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Will never interested in power? Quote from the text.
2. What does Will say to Mary about his mother and how does she react?
3. What was Andrew's first genuinely religious experience?
4. Define self determination also known as destiny control in Palanese terms.
5. What is the primary difference between the pain of Susila and Will?
6. Why does Ambassador Bahu believe that Pala needs to change?
7. How do the Palanese keep from feeling despair when reading about history?
8. How does Will view sex addicts and how is it viewed on Pala?
9. What do you notice about Radha and Ranga?
10. What are Murugan's plans for Pala?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The people of Pala deal with pain and fear far differently than we do. How is it different? Compare and then contrast it to the way we handle these two emotions. Which do you think is more productive? Which do you think is psychologically more beneficial? Which do you think would expedite the healing process? Which is easier?
Essay Topic 2
Write a 2000-word essay on the contrasts of light and darkness throughout the book, and the significance of this theme to the plot development. Why do you think the author chooses to use this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Compare what Will says about what boys and girls are for around the world. Compare that to what the Palanese know boys and girls are for. How does this make you feel about our world? What do you think would need to change in order for this viewpoint to come to pass? Do you think the world of Pala is attainable or not? Why or why not?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)