|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Murugan follow these practices?
2. What languages does the answer to #26 speak?
3. Where did Will meet Babs?
4. What folly were the Raja and Andrew contemplating for the people of Pala?
5. What does Susila compare children to?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what major way do the doctors of Pala and the doctors of the rest of the world differ?
2. What are Murugan's plans for Pala?
3. How does Will view sex addicts and how is it viewed on Pala?
4. How does Will initially react to the death of his wife?
5. What intrigues Will about Murugan?
6. What does Will believe was the result of the Rani's teachings to Murugan?
7. Why is it seem to be impure to sleep with a woman to the Rani?
8. Why does Ambassador Bahu believe that Pala needs to change?
9. Define self determination also known as destiny control in Palanese terms.
10. What did Will find humiliating about working as a journalist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Pala's views on literature, and the purpose literature serves in our culture. Whose version of what literature is and does more accurate? Is it entirely subjective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the title of the book Murugan is reading in Chapter 10? How does this title juxtapose Murugan's beliefs against those of the citizens of Pala? Can you make a similar juxtaposition in our culture? How is this relevant to the story?
Essay Topic 3
How do the Palanese deal with grief? How does it differ from the way we deal with it if we used Will's example? Which do you think is more healthy, theirs or ours?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)