|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who else of royal descent pays Will Farnaby a visit?
2. How many passes did it take Andrew MacPhail to put the Raja to sleep?
3. How do the people of Pala suggest he conquer his fear?
4. Why does Will want to stay on Pala?
5. What is the first thing Will does when he wakes up on Pala?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Will never interested in power? Quote from the text.
2. Murugan appears at Will's bed and engages in a dialogue. What does this dialogue portray Murugan to be?
3. What was Andrew's first genuinely religious experience?
4. What are Murugan's plans for Pala?
5. Why does Ambassador Bahu believe that Pala needs to change?
6. Nurse Radha was offended by Ambassador Bahu before. How?
7. What does Will notice about Bahu's compliment to Nurse Radha?
8. How does Will initially react to the death of his wife?
9. What does nurse Radha say the correct way of going about treating someone is?
10. What seems so foreign about the way the people of Pala deal with fear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a 2000-word essay on the contrasts of light and darkness throughout the book, and the significance of this theme to the plot development. Why do you think the author chooses to use this theme?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Pala's views on literature, and the purpose literature serves in our culture. Whose version of what literature is and does more accurate? Is it entirely subjective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How do the Palanese justify Artificial Insemination? What is your opinion about the way the people of Pala reproduce selectively? Do you think that it is justifiable in their logic? Does this cater to your religious standpoints or not? How do you feel personally about selective breeding in this sense?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)