Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Karuna mean to the Palanese?
2. Who is Will's boss?
3. What was the first thing Will did when he awoke from his nap?
4. What is the first food Will eats on Pala?
5. What is the first word(s) Will hears when he wakes up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the primary difference between the pain of Susila and Will?
2. What is the symbolism of the Scarecrows? Quote from the book and then simplify.
3. How do the Palanese keep from feeling despair when reading about history?
4. A tender picture of the doctor's relationship with his wife emerges. What does he feel she brings to the relationship?
5. How are animals treated on Pala versus the rest of the world?
6. What seems so foreign about the way the people of Pala deal with fear?
7. What is Shanta's opinion in regards to snakes and snakebites?
8. Explain why Mrs. Narayan is a justified optimist.
9. Describe how Dr. Robert deals with Lakshmi's death.
10. What is a MAC?
Essay Topic 1
Write a 2000-word essay on the contrasts of light and darkness throughout the book, and the significance of this theme to the plot development. Why do you think the author chooses to use this theme?
Essay Topic 2
How do the Palanese prevent a great leader from arising?
Essay Topic 3
Quote and explain Shanta's speech about Wisdom. Repeat the speech in your own words.
This section contains 1,557 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)