|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Part 1 of the book state about religion?
2. What is SD?
3. What dialect of English did the Palanese have?
4. Who stops in on Will in the beginning of the chapter?
5. What does Susila do for Will?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does nurse Radha say the correct way of going about treating someone is?
2. A tender picture of the doctor's relationship with his wife emerges. What does he feel she brings to the relationship?
3. What intrigues Will about Murugan?
4. What was Andrew's first genuinely religious experience?
5. What are Murugan's plans for Pala?
6. Why does Ambassador Bahu believe that Pala needs to change?
7. How do the Palanese keep from feeling despair when reading about history?
8. What does Will believe was the result of the Rani's teachings to Murugan?
9. Murugan appears at Will's bed and engages in a dialogue. What does this dialogue portray Murugan to be?
10. What did Will find humiliating about working as a journalist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What could lead Will to believe that Murugan was having a sexual relationship with Colonel Dipa? Is this a valid conclusion based on the evidence in the first few chapters? What argues for this logic? What argues against it? Quote your supporting statements from the book.
Essay Topic 2
"Which is better? To be born stupid into an intelligent society, or intelligent into an insane one?" Why is it better? Support your argument with at least three major points and three supporting statements for each major point.
Essay Topic 3
The people of Pala deal with pain and fear far differently than we do. How is it different? Compare and then contrast it to the way we handle these two emotions. Which do you think is more productive? Which do you think is psychologically more beneficial? Which do you think would expedite the healing process? Which is easier?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)