|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many passes did it take Andrew MacPhail to put the Raja to sleep?
2. What is SD?
3. Why did Rani and Murugan leave Pala originally?
4. What does the boy gesture to Will?
5. Who wrote the poem that Will found in the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it seem to be impure to sleep with a woman to the Rani?
2. How are Stalin and Hitler reduced in Chapter 9?
3. How does Will view sex addicts and how is it viewed on Pala?
4. What does the mountain climb ordeal teach the youth of Pala and what happens afterwards?
5. What is Shanta's opinion in regards to snakes and snakebites?
6. Why does Murugan view the ceremony at the temple with open contempt?
7. What is the advice to every pair of lovers?
8. What are Murugan's plans for Pala?
9. How does AI contribute to a better destiny for the people of Pala?
10. What is the difference between a Wife of Love and a Sister of Mercy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Put the section Will reads in "What's What" in chapter eleven into your own words. Explain what you think of the things mentioned therein and what significance it could possibly hold for the rest of the world.
Essay Topic 2
The people of Pala deal with pain and fear far differently than we do. How is it different? Compare and then contrast it to the way we handle these two emotions. Which do you think is more productive? Which do you think is psychologically more beneficial? Which do you think would expedite the healing process? Which is easier?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the title of the book Murugan is reading in Chapter 10? How does this title juxtapose Murugan's beliefs against those of the citizens of Pala? Can you make a similar juxtaposition in our culture? How is this relevant to the story?
This section contains 1,540 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)