|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the person Appu had always loved and who loved her?
2. How long does Dr. Robert say that Will can stay on Pala?
3. What is/are Murugan's top prioritie(s) as ruler of Pala?
4. What do the Palanese teach the young ones to engage in that Murugan resisted?
5. How does Will arrive on the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. What seems so foreign about the way the people of Pala deal with fear?
2. What do you notice about Radha and Ranga?
3. What intrigues Will about Murugan?
4. What are Murugan's plans for Pala?
5. What are practices of James and Janet MacPhail on their children that would be outlawed today?
6. What strikes fear into Will's heart?
7. Murugan appears at Will's bed and engages in a dialogue. What does this dialogue portray Murugan to be?
8. Why was Will never interested in power? Quote from the text.
9. What is the difference between a Wife of Love and a Sister of Mercy?
10. Define self determination also known as destiny control in Palanese terms.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the Palanese deal with grief? How does it differ from the way we deal with it if we used Will's example? Which do you think is more healthy, theirs or ours?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Palanese medicine to ours. Which do you think is more effective? What about the rant that Ms. Radha goes into about health care outside of Pala? Can you see any truth to that argument? Think of one situation in which we treat but do not cure the disease. Quote supporting text from the book or from other sources.
Essay Topic 3
Quote and explain Shanta's speech about Wisdom. Repeat the speech in your own words.
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)