|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Karuna mean to the Palanese?
2. Who is Will's boss?
3. What was the first thing Will did when he awoke from his nap?
4. What is the first food Will eats on Pala?
5. What is the first word(s) Will hears when he wakes up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the primary difference between the pain of Susila and Will?
2. What is the symbolism of the Scarecrows? Quote from the book and then simplify.
3. How do the Palanese keep from feeling despair when reading about history?
4. A tender picture of the doctor's relationship with his wife emerges. What does he feel she brings to the relationship?
5. How are animals treated on Pala versus the rest of the world?
6. What seems so foreign about the way the people of Pala deal with fear?
7. What is Shanta's opinion in regards to snakes and snakebites?
8. Explain why Mrs. Narayan is a justified optimist.
9. Describe how Dr. Robert deals with Lakshmi's death.
10. What is a MAC?
Essay Topic 1
The people of Pala deal with pain and fear far differently than we do. How is it different? Compare and then contrast it to the way we handle these two emotions. Which do you think is more productive? Which do you think is psychologically more beneficial? Which do you think would expedite the healing process? Which is easier?
Essay Topic 2
How do the Palanese prevent a great leader from arising?
Essay Topic 3
Bahu believes that Pala is so perfect that it is an "affront to God." What do you think about this statement? Argue either for or against this statement in at least four paragraphs, using quotes from the book.
This section contains 1,557 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)