|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who finds Will?
2. What does she compare her mother to?
3. What is the major trouble for Pala?
4. What does Mr. Bahu say about the Rani?
5. After Murugan resisted the temptation of the young girl, who did they send?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Palanese keep from feeling despair when reading about history?
2. What does nurse Radha say the correct way of going about treating someone is?
3. What seems so foreign about the way the people of Pala deal with fear?
4. What did Will find humiliating about working as a journalist?
5. How does Will view sex addicts and how is it viewed on Pala?
6. Murugan appears at Will's bed and engages in a dialogue. What does this dialogue portray Murugan to be?
7. What does Will notice about Bahu's compliment to Nurse Radha?
8. What strikes fear into Will's heart?
9. What are Murugan's plans for Pala?
10. What was Andrew's first genuinely religious experience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Which is better? To be born stupid into an intelligent society, or intelligent into an insane one?" Why is it better? Support your argument with at least three major points and three supporting statements for each major point.
Essay Topic 2
How do the Palanese deal with grief? How does it differ from the way we deal with it if we used Will's example? Which do you think is more healthy, theirs or ours?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Pala's views on literature, and the purpose literature serves in our culture. Whose version of what literature is and does more accurate? Is it entirely subjective? Why or why not?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)