|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Will view people suddenly?
2. Where had Dr. Robert gone?
3. What does the Rani believe about herself?
4. How many children were in James and Janet's family?
5. What two things are supported by tax dollars?
Short Essay Questions
1. Define self determination also known as destiny control in Palanese terms.
2. What is the difference between a Wife of Love and a Sister of Mercy?
3. What intrigues Will about Murugan?
4. What do you notice about Radha and Ranga?
5. What are Murugan's plans for Pala?
6. What does nurse Radha say the correct way of going about treating someone is?
7. Murugan appears at Will's bed and engages in a dialogue. What does this dialogue portray Murugan to be?
8. Nurse Radha was offended by Ambassador Bahu before. How?
9. How does Will initially react to the death of his wife?
10. A tender picture of the doctor's relationship with his wife emerges. What does he feel she brings to the relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the average viewpoint of the rest of the world over those who live in Pala. How do they differ medicinally, in world outlook, in the way children are brought up, etc? In what ways are the viewpoints most dramatic?
Essay Topic 2
How do the Palanese deal with grief? How does it differ from the way we deal with it if we used Will's example? Which do you think is more healthy, theirs or ours?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Palanese medicine to ours. Which do you think is more effective? What about the rant that Ms. Radha goes into about health care outside of Pala? Can you see any truth to that argument? Think of one situation in which we treat but do not cure the disease. Quote supporting text from the book or from other sources.
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)