|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Will have an affair with?
2. What brought this view of humanity on?
3. What is the first word(s) Will hears when he wakes up?
4. Pala was what when Andrew and the Raja were reinventing it?
5. How does Susila compare the grief of her husband's passing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Murugan appears at Will's bed and engages in a dialogue. What does this dialogue portray Murugan to be?
2. Why is it seem to be impure to sleep with a woman to the Rani?
3. A tender picture of the doctor's relationship with his wife emerges. What does he feel she brings to the relationship?
4. How do the Palanese keep from feeling despair when reading about history?
5. Before Andrew went to Pala, what were his ambitions?
6. What are practices of James and Janet MacPhail on their children that would be outlawed today?
7. What was Andrew's first genuinely religious experience?
8. What is the difference between a Wife of Love and a Sister of Mercy?
9. What are Murugan's plans for Pala?
10. What is the primary difference between the pain of Susila and Will?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What could lead Will to believe that Murugan was having a sexual relationship with Colonel Dipa? Is this a valid conclusion based on the evidence in the first few chapters? What argues for this logic? What argues against it? Quote your supporting statements from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Bahu believes that Pala is so perfect that it is an "affront to God." What do you think about this statement? Argue either for or against this statement in at least four paragraphs, using quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the social benefits and possible downfalls of a MAC family over a dysfunctional family of our world. What are the similarities and differences? What are the pro's and con's?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)