|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Rani want to sell the oil to Southeast Petroleum?
2. What do the Palanese teach the young ones to engage in that Murugan resisted?
3. What does Susila compare children to?
4. How many passes did it take Andrew MacPhail to put the Raja to sleep?
5. How does Will feel about his marooning on Pala?
Short Essay Questions
1. Define self determination also known as destiny control in Palanese terms.
2. What does Will notice about Bahu's compliment to Nurse Radha?
3. What does Will say about what Colonel Dipa will bring to the island?
4. How does Will initially react to the death of his wife?
5. Why do the Palanese accept the use of symbolism in religion, though don't encourage it?
6. What did Will find humiliating about working as a journalist?
7. Define the term "mother" in Palanese terms.
8. What does Will say to Mary about his mother and how does she react?
9. What does Moksha-medicine do for the Palanese?
10. Why is it seem to be impure to sleep with a woman to the Rani?
Essay Topic 1
How do the Palanese prevent a great leader from arising?
Essay Topic 2
Compare what Will says about what boys and girls are for around the world. Compare that to what the Palanese know boys and girls are for. How does this make you feel about our world? What do you think would need to change in order for this viewpoint to come to pass? Do you think the world of Pala is attainable or not? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Quote and explain Shanta's speech about Wisdom. Repeat the speech in your own words.
This section contains 1,511 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)