|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What folly were the Raja and Andrew contemplating for the people of Pala?
2. Does Murugan follow these practices?
3. What is Maithuna?
4. Why does Will think that Joe Aldehyde gave him a job?
5. Who stops in on Will in the beginning of the chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Murugan's plans for Pala?
2. What is a MAC?
3. In what major way do the doctors of Pala and the doctors of the rest of the world differ?
4. Define the term "mother" in Palanese terms.
5. What intrigues Will about Murugan?
6. Before Andrew went to Pala, what were his ambitions?
7. How do the Palanese keep from feeling despair when reading about history?
8. What did Will find humiliating about working as a journalist?
9. What does Will say to Mary about his mother and how does she react?
10. What was Andrew's first genuinely religious experience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Pala's views on literature, and the purpose literature serves in our culture. Whose version of what literature is and does more accurate? Is it entirely subjective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the social benefits and possible downfalls of a MAC family over a dysfunctional family of our world. What are the similarities and differences? What are the pro's and con's?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss reasons why Will may have suddenly decided to admit to Susila his underhanded dealings. Why do you think Susila seems to have forgiven him so immediately? What is the real problem of Pala that she is aware of and why is it a major problem?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)