|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many reasons does Ranga have to dislike Mr. Badu?
2. What is the first culture difference Will perceives on this island?
3. What dialect of English did the Palanese have?
4. What does Karuna mean to the Palanese?
5. What brought this view of humanity on?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it seem to be impure to sleep with a woman to the Rani?
2. How does Will initially react to the death of his wife?
3. What does Will notice about Bahu's compliment to Nurse Radha?
4. What does Will believe was the result of the Rani's teachings to Murugan?
5. How does Will view sex addicts and how is it viewed on Pala?
6. What do you notice about Radha and Ranga?
7. What are Murugan's plans for Pala?
8. Why does Ambassador Bahu believe that Pala needs to change?
9. What strikes fear into Will's heart?
10. What did Will find humiliating about working as a journalist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the average viewpoint of the rest of the world over those who live in Pala. How do they differ medicinally, in world outlook, in the way children are brought up, etc? In what ways are the viewpoints most dramatic?
Essay Topic 2
What is significant about Lakshmi's death? What is significant about how the people who love her react? What is the primary difference in the way death is approached on Pala and here?
Essay Topic 3
"Which is better? To be born stupid into an intelligent society, or intelligent into an insane one?" Why is it better? Support your argument with at least three major points and three supporting statements for each major point.
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)