|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Karuna mean to the Palanese?
2. How many waves of invasion passed Pala by?
3. Who else of royal descent pays Will Farnaby a visit?
4. Who was the Rani's master?
5. Who was Andrew MacPhail's second patient after the Raja?
Short Essay Questions
1. What strikes fear into Will's heart?
2. Define the term "mother" in Palanese terms.
3. Before Andrew went to Pala, what were his ambitions?
4. What intrigues Will about Murugan?
5. What does Will notice about Bahu's compliment to Nurse Radha?
6. How do the Palanese keep from feeling despair when reading about history?
7. Define self determination also known as destiny control in Palanese terms.
8. What are some reasons Pala was unpopular?
9. Why is it seem to be impure to sleep with a woman to the Rani?
10. What does Will believe was the result of the Rani's teachings to Murugan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Quote and explain Shanta's speech about Wisdom. Repeat the speech in your own words.
Essay Topic 2
How do the Palanese justify Artificial Insemination? What is your opinion about the way the people of Pala reproduce selectively? Do you think that it is justifiable in their logic? Does this cater to your religious standpoints or not? How do you feel personally about selective breeding in this sense?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the average viewpoint of the rest of the world over those who live in Pala. How do they differ medicinally, in world outlook, in the way children are brought up, etc? In what ways are the viewpoints most dramatic?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)