|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many waves of invasion passed Pala by?
2. What is the first word(s) Will hears when he wakes up?
3. How did Will view people suddenly?
4. What does Dipa want to do with Pala?
5. How often does mail leave the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. Define the term "mother" in Palanese terms.
2. In what major way do the doctors of Pala and the doctors of the rest of the world differ?
3. Nurse Radha was offended by Ambassador Bahu before. How?
4. What do you notice about Radha and Ranga?
5. Why is it seem to be impure to sleep with a woman to the Rani?
6. What does Will notice about Bahu's compliment to Nurse Radha?
7. What are practices of James and Janet MacPhail on their children that would be outlawed today?
8. What did Will find humiliating about working as a journalist?
9. Why does Ambassador Bahu believe that Pala needs to change?
10. What seems so foreign about the way the people of Pala deal with fear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Go into detail on how the Palanese deal with anger, and conflict. Explain how we deal with these two things, or at least what seem to be the most common methods for dealing with these two things. Use quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Write a 2000-word essay on the contrasts of light and darkness throughout the book, and the significance of this theme to the plot development. Why do you think the author chooses to use this theme?
Essay Topic 3
How do the Palanese prevent a great leader from arising?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)