|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the locals call the mushrooms they consume?
2. What is the title of the book Murugan is reading in Chapter 10?
(a) Home and Garden
(b) Winning People's Hearts and Minds: One at a Time
(c) Geology Now
(d) Science Fiction
3. Who is Muchalinda?
(a) The King of Tigers
(b) The King of Snakes
(c) The King of Sweden
(d) The King of Spiders
4. How many key figures in the administration are people working on?
(a) Four or five
5. What does Dr. Robert say about western intellectuals?
(a) They are too self absorbed to make any real progress
(b) They are all sitting addicts
(c) They are all jaded to their own upbringings
(d) They are all blind to true beauty
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Leela's vocation?
2. Why didn't the Palanese ever export his work?
3. What makes Murugan glow with enthusiasm?
4. What urgent matter did the Rani call to discuss with Will?
5. What should Murugan have been studying?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolism of the Scarecrows? Quote from the book and then simplify.
2. Why do the Palanese accept the use of symbolism in religion, though don't encourage it?
3. What is the most dangerous element to recognize in children and why is it the most dangerous?
4. What is Leela Rao's position on the island? What makes her important?
5. What does Will notice about the women on the island?
6. How are Stalin and Hitler reduced in Chapter 9?
7. What is the difference between the Palanese use of Pavlovian conditioning versus the rest of the world?
8. What does the mountain climb ordeal teach the youth of Pala and what happens afterwards?
9. How does AI contribute to a better destiny for the people of Pala?
10. What does Will tell Susila on impulse and how does he expect her to react?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)