|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Buddha sitting on?
(a) A cylindrical pedestal
(b) A coiled cobra
(c) A stone stage with flowers
(d) His behind in Lotus position
2. Where does Will want to go in the morning?
(a) The Experimental Station
(b) Home to America
(c) To Britain
(d) The High Altitude Station
3. Who shows up at Shanta and Vijaya's house?
(a) Dr. Robert and Susila
(b) The Rani and Murugan
(c) Susila and Dugald
(d) Tom Krishna and Mary Sarojini
4. What color is Leela Rao wearing?
5. What did Will's teachers try to do about people's differences?
(a) Blow them out of proportion
(b) Iron them out
(c) Exploit them for their own gain
(d) Make them more than they were
Short Answer Questions
1. Who picks Will up?
2. How does the Rani address Will?
3. Where was Dr. Robert serving as a naturalist?
4. What should Murugan have been studying?
5. What do the two people request of Shanta?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Will tell Susila on impulse and how does he expect her to react?
2. How are Stalin and Hitler reduced in Chapter 9?
3. What horrible things befell Aunt Mary?
4. What does Will say about what Colonel Dipa will bring to the island?
5. What is the advice to every pair of lovers?
6. Explain why Mrs. Narayan is a justified optimist.
7. What, in Shanta's words, makes Pala a nice place? Repeat in your own words.
8. What does Will notice about the differences between Lakshmi and Aunt Mary?
9. How are animals treated on Pala versus the rest of the world?
10. What is the difference between the Palanese use of Pavlovian conditioning versus the rest of the world?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)