|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Will remember that hurts him so much from his childhood?
(a) Tiger, a dog
(b) Aunt Molly
(c) Tigger, a cat
(d) His best friend, Spencer
2. What do the Palanese do about individuality?
(a) They integrate individuality into acceptance
(b) They assess and classify them
(c) All of the below
(d) They teach others to respect each other's differences
3. Who explains 'grace' to Will?
4. What is the name of the parrot at Vijaya's?
5. Where was Dr. Robert serving as a naturalist?
(a) On the Olympus
(b) In Turkey
(c) On the Melampus
(d) On the Nautilus
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shiva-Nataraja do?
2. How does Murugan view the ceremony?
3. Where does Will want to go in the morning?
4. How does Will attempt to describe his experience with the Moksha-medicine?
5. What is the crime of the Palanese?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a Rakshasi, and what is the Rakshasi Hornpipe?
2. Explain why Mrs. Narayan is a justified optimist.
3. What is the difference between the Palanese use of Pavlovian conditioning versus the rest of the world?
4. What, in Shanta's words, makes Pala a nice place? Repeat in your own words.
5. Describe how Dr. Robert deals with Lakshmi's death.
6. What is Leela Rao's position on the island? What makes her important?
7. What is the symbolism of the Scarecrows? Quote from the book and then simplify.
8. What does the mountain climb ordeal teach the youth of Pala and what happens afterwards?
9. What does Will tell Susila on impulse and how does he expect her to react?
10. How does AI contribute to a better destiny for the people of Pala?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)