|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was significant about Gobind's grandmother?
(a) She was incredibly intelligent
(b) She was an oracle
(c) She was a gifted medium and lived until ninety-six
(d) She was extremely maternal and very healthy
2. What musician does Susila put on?
3. What scientist does Will make an allusion to?
(c) Sir Isaac Newton
(d) Nikola Tesla
4. Who is one of Murugan's heroes?
(a) Fidel Castro
(b) George Bush
(c) Saddam Hussein
(d) Adolph Hitler
5. What should Murugan have been studying?
(a) Elementary Physics
(b) Elementary Ecology
(c) Andvanced History
(d) Advanced Mathematics
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years before the rest of the world did Palanese figure out AI?
2. Who does Will leave with?
3. How do the Palanese teach in comparison to us?
4. What are the scarecrows?
5. What makes Leela happy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Leela Rao's position on the island? What makes her important?
2. How are animals treated on Pala versus the rest of the world?
3. What, in Shanta's words, makes Pala a nice place? Repeat in your own words.
4. What is the idea behind repetition in a religious nature?
5. What is Shanta's opinion in regards to snakes and snakebites?
6. Explain why Mrs. Narayan is a justified optimist.
7. What are the differences between what Will remembers about the Oedipus play and what Mary recounts?
8. Why does Murugan believe that the people of Pala won't accept the lure of consumer goods?
9. Why does Murugan view the ceremony at the temple with open contempt?
10. Why do the Palanese accept the use of symbolism in religion, though don't encourage it?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)