|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What urgent matter did the Rani call to discuss with Will?
(a) Aldehyde's marriage proposal to her
(b) Will's spiritual compass
(d) Murugan's appearance at the initiation
2. What do the Palanese do about individuality?
(a) They assess and classify them
(b) All of the below
(c) They teach others to respect each other's differences
(d) They integrate individuality into acceptance
3. What is a Palanese criterion of a good school?
(b) Creating puppets out of children
(c) Creating strength for the state
(d) Winning scholarships
4. Who explains 'grace' to Will?
5. What does Shiva-Nataraja do?
(a) Demands obedience
(b) Dances through planes of existence
(c) Rules completely
(d) Plays a drum
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the children's chores for the afternoon?
2. What is the name of the play that Mary likes?
3. Who turns out to be the father of the baby Shanta is nursing?
4. Who calls Will while he is reading?
5. Who does Will ask about when he sees Dr. Robert in the morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a Rakshasi, and what is the Rakshasi Hornpipe?
2. What does Will notice about the differences between Lakshmi and Aunt Mary?
3. How does Murugan's interest in consumer goods benefit Colonel Dipa?
4. Why do the Palanese accept the use of symbolism in religion, though don't encourage it?
5. What, in Shanta's words, makes Pala a nice place? Repeat in your own words.
6. What does the mountain climb ordeal teach the youth of Pala and what happens afterwards?
7. Why does Mrs. Rao believe that Pala is the place for stupid people?
8. What is Will's incarnation of evil?
9. What does Will notice about the women on the island?
10. What does Will say about what Colonel Dipa will bring to the island?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)