|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Murugan doing while everyone else was having a vision?
(a) Screaming like a banshee
(b) Picking his nose
(c) Reading his book
(d) Muttering "this is all so false"
2. What did Will's teachers try to do about people's differences?
(a) Blow them out of proportion
(b) Iron them out
(c) Exploit them for their own gain
(d) Make them more than they were
3. Gobind Singh struck up a friendship with who Paris that influenced his work?
(b) Leonardo Da Vinci
(c) Van Gogh
4. What kind of marmalade does Will use?
5. Who turns out to be the father of the baby Shanta is nursing?
(a) Dr. Robert
(d) Gobind Singh
Short Answer Questions
1. How many key figures in the administration are people working on?
2. How does Murugan view the ceremony?
3. How is it that he fathered their child?
4. What could prevent the spread of Palanese knowledge of happiness to other countries?
5. What is the crime of the Palanese?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the advice to every pair of lovers?
2. What is Will's incarnation of evil?
3. Explain why Mrs. Narayan is a justified optimist.
4. What does Will say about what Colonel Dipa will bring to the island?
5. What is the symbolism of the Scarecrows? Quote from the book and then simplify.
6. Why does Murugan view the ceremony at the temple with open contempt?
7. What horrible things befell Aunt Mary?
8. How does Murugan's interest in consumer goods benefit Colonel Dipa?
9. Describe how Dr. Robert deals with Lakshmi's death.
10. What is the most dangerous element to recognize in children and why is it the most dangerous?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)