|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the waves of invasion pass Pala by?
(a) Pala has no harbor
(b) Pala is shrouded by deadly reefs
(c) Pala has no trade
(d) Pala has no military
2. What was it that made Appu fall head over heels for Murugan?
(a) His boyish charm
(b) His suave demeanor
(c) His political position
(d) His white satin pajamas
3. What was the image that nurse Appu saw in her minds eye that made her laugh
(a) The pyramids in white cloth
(b) A pedantic teacher on too much caffeine
(c) Their kitten chasing yarn
(d) A bear on a unicycle
4. After Murugan resisted the temptation of the young girl, who did they send?
(a) An older woman
(b) A young boy
(c) A middle aged goat
(d) A councillor
5. What was the habit the old Raja couldn't break?
(b) Anointing a phallic symbol with melted butter
(c) Picking his nose
(d) Praying to Krishna
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Susila compare children to?
2. What does the boy gesture to Will?
3. What does Dipa want to do with Pala?
4. What does Part 1 of the book state about religion?
5. How does Will view his sexual relationship to Babs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Will never interested in power? Quote from the text.
2. What is the primary difference between the pain of Susila and Will?
3. What does Will say to Mary about his mother and how does she react?
4. How do the Palanese keep from feeling despair when reading about history?
5. What are practices of James and Janet MacPhail on their children that would be outlawed today?
6. What are some reasons Pala was unpopular?
7. What is a MAC?
8. What strikes fear into Will's heart?
9. What intrigues Will about Murugan?
10. Before Andrew went to Pala, what were his ambitions?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)