|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Molly do as a hobby?
(a) She sewed
(b) She painted
(c) She knitted
(d) She baked
2. Who was the person Appu had always loved and who loved her?
(d) Dr. MacPhail
3. What does Mr. Bahu want to be paid to set up the deal for Lord Aldehyde?
(a) Five times what Aldehyde is paying Will
(b) Half of what Aldehyde is paying Will
(c) Half of what Aldehyde will be paying the Raja
(d) Ten times what Aldehyde is paying Will
4. What main idea shifted the population into accepting the second reform?
(a) Painless surgery
(b) Medicine to increase lifespan
(c) Painless childbirth
(d) The knowledge they would be healthier as a result
5. What was the habit the old Raja couldn't break?
(a) Praying to Krishna
(b) Picking his nose
(d) Anointing a phallic symbol with melted butter
Short Answer Questions
1. How often does mail leave the island?
2. What stone figure is sitting by the lotus pool?
3. What does Part 1 of the book state about religion?
4. Will meets the young man destined to be leader of Pala in the company of what man?
5. What does Appu's lover think of her mental state?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Andrew's first genuinely religious experience?
2. What is the primary difference between the pain of Susila and Will?
3. A tender picture of the doctor's relationship with his wife emerges. What does he feel she brings to the relationship?
4. What seems so foreign about the way the people of Pala deal with fear?
5. Why is it seem to be impure to sleep with a woman to the Rani?
6. In what major way do the doctors of Pala and the doctors of the rest of the world differ?
7. What are practices of James and Janet MacPhail on their children that would be outlawed today?
8. Define the term "mother" in Palanese terms.
9. What did Will find humiliating about working as a journalist?
10. What does Will believe was the result of the Rani's teachings to Murugan?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)