|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many months did it take Babs to tire of Will?
2. How many waves of invasion passed Pala by?
3. What do the Palanese teach the young ones to engage in that Murugan resisted?
(c) War games
4. How does Susila compare the grief of her husband's passing?
(a) Like a black hole that sucks all joy from life
(b) A steady pain, like a penance to remind her of him
(c) It doesn't hurt after awhile, time heals all
(d) Like a phantom limb that hurts even after being amputated
5. Why did Rani and Murugan leave Pala originally?
(a) They left to better Murugan's health
(b) So she could keep tight control over him
(c) So she could remove the negative influences around him
(d) So she could indoctrinate him better
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first culture difference Will perceives on this island?
2. Why is Pala unpopular?
3. What dialect of English did the Palanese have?
4. Who was the person Appu had always loved and who loved her?
5. How did Will see Molly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are practices of James and Janet MacPhail on their children that would be outlawed today?
2. What does Will believe was the result of the Rani's teachings to Murugan?
3. Why was Will never interested in power? Quote from the text.
4. What were three things that were reformed, and why were they so widely accepted?
5. What strikes fear into Will's heart?
6. How do the Palanese keep from feeling despair when reading about history?
7. What intrigues Will about Murugan?
8. What does nurse Radha say the correct way of going about treating someone is?
9. Why is it seem to be impure to sleep with a woman to the Rani?
10. What is the difference between a Wife of Love and a Sister of Mercy?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)