|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first culture difference Will perceives on this island?
(a) The civilization is tribal in nature
(b) Children are given strict penalties for stepping out of line
(c) Children are treated as adults
(d) Children are not coddled for their injuries
2. Who stops in on Will in the beginning of the chapter?
(a) Nurse Radha
(c) Dr. Robert
(d) The Rani
3. How many passes did it take Andrew MacPhail to put the Raja to sleep?
(a) One hundred, thirty seven
(b) Two hundred, fifteen
(c) Two hundred and eleven
(d) Two hundred and eight
4. How does the Rani view women?
(a) Beings to be used for pleasure
(b) All women are deceitful temptresses
(c) All women are to be servants of the men
(d) Essentially holy
5. Pala was what when Andrew and the Raja were reinventing it?
(a) A sub continent
(b) A subservient nation
(c) A military power
Short Answer Questions
1. What religion did the MacPhails start out as?
2. How long does Dr. Robert say that Will can stay on Pala?
3. What is the first food Will eats on Pala?
4. What is Maithuna?
5. What was the paper in which Andrew MacPhail read about animal magnetism?
Short Essay Questions
1. What intrigues Will about Murugan?
2. What did Will find humiliating about working as a journalist?
3. How do the Palanese keep from feeling despair when reading about history?
4. What are some reasons Pala was unpopular?
5. What was Andrew's first genuinely religious experience?
6. How does Will view sex addicts and how is it viewed on Pala?
7. What does Moksha-medicine do for the Palanese?
8. How does AI contribute to a better destiny for the people of Pala?
9. What are practices of James and Janet MacPhail on their children that would be outlawed today?
10. A tender picture of the doctor's relationship with his wife emerges. What does he feel she brings to the relationship?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)