|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Will think that Joe Aldehyde gave him a job?
(a) He was pleased with his work
(b) He befriended Will
(c) He was fond of Molly
(d) He was fond of Will
2. What was the first thing the poem reminded him of?
(a) His dead wife
(b) A summer holiday in Switzerland
(c) A winter holiday in Thailand
(d) His mismanaged life
3. After Murugan resisted the temptation of the young girl, who did they send?
(a) An older woman
(b) A middle aged goat
(c) A councillor
(d) A young boy
4. What does the Rani believe about herself?
(a) She believes she is destined to rule the world
(b) She believes she is a natural psychic and can hear God
(c) She believes the voices in her head are Gods words
(d) She believes that Murugan is an ill tempered little boy
5. How does Will feel about his marooning on Pala?
(a) He is angry at the plane for crash landing him on Pala
(b) He feels lonely, as no one shares his life views here
(c) He feels desolate as he is stuck there
(d) He is lucky, that is where he had to go anyway
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first culture difference Will perceives on this island?
2. What brought this view of humanity on?
3. Why is Pala unpopular?
4. Where had Dr. Robert gone?
5. How many reasons does Ranga have to dislike Mr. Badu?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Will find humiliating about working as a journalist?
2. What intrigues Will about Murugan?
3. What are practices of James and Janet MacPhail on their children that would be outlawed today?
4. What do you notice about Radha and Ranga?
5. What does Will say to Mary about his mother and how does she react?
6. What was Andrew's first genuinely religious experience?
7. Before Andrew went to Pala, what were his ambitions?
8. What is the difference between a Wife of Love and a Sister of Mercy?
9. What is the primary difference between the pain of Susila and Will?
10. What were three things that were reformed, and why were they so widely accepted?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)