|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What main idea shifted the population into accepting the second reform?
(a) Painless surgery
(b) Medicine to increase lifespan
(c) Painless childbirth
(d) The knowledge they would be healthier as a result
2. How do the people of Pala suggest he conquer his fear?
(a) By pushing it to the back of his mind and not thinking about it
(b) By acting it out for a tribe of people
(c) By facing his fear and repeating the action that made him feel it
(d) By recounting his story until he no longer fears it
3. What does Part 2 state about people?
(a) People who do good deeds are good people and this should be the foundation of their society
(b) People who do good deeds are good people, but people can't be good all the time
(c) That people need to be watched at all times for signs of betrayal
(d) That people are stupid and must be shepherded
4. What does the boy gesture to Will?
(a) To come with him
(b) To act as though they've never met
(c) To get up and get out
(d) To fornicate himself
5. How did Will view people suddenly?
(a) As apes
(b) As phantom maggots
(c) As flies
(d) As ants
6. What is SD?
(a) Sensual Dance
(b) Sexual Discrimination
(c) Soothing Dialogue
7. What does Mr. Bahu say the plague of the twentieth century is?
(d) The Gray Life
8. What does Susila compare children to?
(a) Young squirrels
(b) Mynah birds
(d) Manichean dualists
9. How does Will arrive on the island?
(a) He was marooned by shipwreck
(b) He crash landed there and was pulled from the plane wreckage
(c) He is there studying the fauna
(d) He went there for a vacation
10. Does Murugan follow these practices?
(a) Only in appearances
(d) I don't know
11. Why does Will think that Joe Aldehyde gave him a job?
(a) He befriended Will
(b) He was fond of Will
(c) He was fond of Molly
(d) He was pleased with his work
12. What was the first thing the poem reminded him of?
(a) His mismanaged life
(b) His dead wife
(c) A summer holiday in Switzerland
(d) A winter holiday in Thailand
13. Who is Will's boss?
(a) John Alderhoff
(b) John Aldehyde
(c) Joe Aldehyde
(d) Jaxson Anderson
14. Why does Radha dislike the Ambassador?
(a) He told her she was horrible at her job
(b) He offered her money to sleep with him, she declined, he offered more money
(c) He touched her when she did not want to be touched
(d) He told her she was insane for believing in the teachings of Palanese people
15. How many passes did it take Andrew MacPhail to put the Raja to sleep?
(a) Two hundred and eight
(b) Two hundred and eleven
(c) Two hundred, fifteen
(d) One hundred, thirty seven
Short Answer Questions
1. What was it that made Appu fall head over heels for Murugan?
2. Pala was what when Andrew and the Raja were reinventing it?
3. What does the Rani believe about herself?
4. What is the first culture difference Will perceives on this island?
5. Who stops in on Will in the beginning of the chapter?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)