|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why didn't Rachel satisfy Will?
(a) She was too openly loving to will in the presence of Molly
(b) She insisted he divorce Molly
(c) She was always consumed with her artistry
(d) She would refuse him sexually
2. What does Dipa want to do with Pala?
(a) Absorb it into his Greater Rendang
(b) Get to know the culture
(c) Exploit its people
(d) Blow it up
3. What is the difference between Will and Susila's pain?
(a) Susila still talks to her spouse, Will has come to terms with her death
(b) Will has accepted Molly's death, but Susila hasn't accepted her husbands' death
(c) Susila is healing, Will is wallowing in grief
(d) Will wallows in denial, Susila does not
4. What does the tea Will is fed do, according to the nurse?
(a) It is a flavorful beverage to delight his palate
(b) It is a sleeping draught
(c) It is a pain killer
(d) Helps people to stop worrying
5. What does Mr. Bahu keep trying to convince Will about?
(a) The importance of investing young
(b) How evil the island truly is
(c) The futility of Pala's continued way of life
(d) The legitimacy of his heritage
6. What is/are Murugan's top prioritie(s) as ruler of Pala?
(a) To establish a dictatorship and become rich
(b) To find a way to persuade people to his will
(c) Militarization and industrialization
(d) To turn Pala into a tourist trap
7. What brought this view of humanity on?
(a) His nightmares
(b) A Discovery channel show
(c) He witnessed a murder
(d) Himself as the product of his parents
8. Why is Pala unpopular?
(a) It practices freedom of self
(b) It is neither communist or capitalist
(c) It has no military
(d) Its perceived to be promiscuous
9. Who wrote the poem that Will found in the book?
(a) Radha Appu
(b) Dr. MacPhail
(c) Dugald MacPhail
(d) Susila MacPhail
10. What does Susila compare children to?
(b) Mynah birds
(c) Manichean dualists
(d) Young squirrels
11. Why does Radha dislike the Ambassador?
(a) He told her she was horrible at her job
(b) He offered her money to sleep with him, she declined, he offered more money
(c) He touched her when she did not want to be touched
(d) He told her she was insane for believing in the teachings of Palanese people
12. What languages does the answer to #26 speak?
(a) French, English, and Palanese
(b) Chinese, English and Palanese
(c) Spanish, English and Palanese
(d) Russian, English and Palanese
13. What do the Palanese teach the young ones to engage in that Murugan resisted?
(c) War games
14. What was it that made Appu fall head over heels for Murugan?
(a) His boyish charm
(b) His suave demeanor
(c) His political position
(d) His white satin pajamas
15. What does she compare her mother to?
(a) A permanent invasion to one's privacy
(b) An underpaid care giver
(c) An over exuberant two year old
(d) An overpaid model
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Susila do for Will?
2. What does Part 1 of the book state about religion?
3. What does Karuna mean to the Palanese?
4. What does the Rani believe will save humanity?
5. What does the boy gesture to Will?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)