|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Will think that Joe Aldehyde gave him a job?
(a) He was fond of Will
(b) He was pleased with his work
(c) He befriended Will
(d) He was fond of Molly
2. After Murugan resisted the temptation of the young girl, who did they send?
(a) A middle aged goat
(b) A young boy
(c) A councillor
(d) An older woman
3. How often does mail leave the island?
(a) Once a week
(b) Every second day
(c) Once every two weeks
(d) Twice a week
4. What is the first culture difference Will perceives on this island?
(a) Children are given strict penalties for stepping out of line
(b) Children are not coddled for their injuries
(c) Children are treated as adults
(d) The civilization is tribal in nature
5. How does the Rani view women?
(a) All women are deceitful temptresses
(b) All women are to be servants of the men
(c) Beings to be used for pleasure
(d) Essentially holy
6. What does the doctor remind Will to do at 11?
(a) Call for the nurse to empty his catheter
(b) Eat some fruit
(c) Pack his bags and prepare to leave
(d) Drink his fruit juice
7. What was the paper in which Andrew MacPhail read about animal magnetism?
(a) "The Lancet"
(b) "The Speculum"
(c) "The Stethoscope"
(d) "The Scalpel"
8. What does the little book state about faith?
(a) Faith is to be interpreted and wholeheartedly followed by the Rani
(b) Faith is only to be understood by the servants of God
(c) It states that faith resides in the justified capacity to know who exactly we are
(d) It states that Faith is the oppression of the masses, and that faith in oneself is the key to salvation
9. What is SD?
(b) Sexual Discrimination
(c) Sensual Dance
(d) Soothing Dialogue
10. Who wrote the poem that Will found in the book?
(a) Dr. MacPhail
(b) Dugald MacPhail
(c) Radha Appu
(d) Susila MacPhail
11. What do the Palanese teach the young ones to engage in that Murugan resisted?
(c) War games
12. What does Dipa want to do with Pala?
(a) Get to know the culture
(b) Blow it up
(c) Absorb it into his Greater Rendang
(d) Exploit its people
13. Where did Will meet Babs?
(a) At a strip club when he was there with Rachel
(b) On another island getaway he took from his wife
(c) At a bar when he was alone and drowning his sorrows
(d) On a plane while he was on his way to Africa
14. What is the major trouble for Pala?
(a) The rising tides
(b) Colonel Dipa
(c) The Rani's spirituality
(d) Murugans' inauguration
15. Why was Will headed to Pala?
(a) To pave the way to the rich oil deposits there
(b) To document and take pictures of rare species of birds
(c) To find himself
(d) To introduce western culture to the indigenous people there
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dhyana?
2. What is Maithuna?
3. What is the first word(s) Will hears when he wakes up?
4. What is/are Murugan's top prioritie(s) as ruler of Pala?
5. How does Susila compare the grief of her husband's passing?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)