|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the paper in which Andrew MacPhail read about animal magnetism?
(a) "The Scalpel"
(b) "The Stethoscope"
(c) "The Lancet"
(d) "The Speculum"
2. What does the boy gesture to Will?
(a) To get up and get out
(b) To act as though they've never met
(c) To come with him
(d) To fornicate himself
3. What is the first thing Will does when he wakes up on Pala?
(a) Surveys his surroundings and makes a mental note of what he has
(b) Recounts his late wife's death
(c) He immediately begins work on a spear
(d) He sits up and examines himself for injuries
4. What was the first thing the poem reminded him of?
(a) His dead wife
(b) His mismanaged life
(c) A winter holiday in Thailand
(d) A summer holiday in Switzerland
5. How does Will feel about his marooning on Pala?
(a) He feels desolate as he is stuck there
(b) He is angry at the plane for crash landing him on Pala
(c) He feels lonely, as no one shares his life views here
(d) He is lucky, that is where he had to go anyway
6. How did Will view people suddenly?
(a) As phantom maggots
(b) As flies
(c) As apes
(d) As ants
7. What does Appu's lover think of her mental state?
(a) She is abnormally sane
(b) She is completely neurotic
(c) She is slightly crazy
(d) She's a closet psychotic
8. What is the first food Will eats on Pala?
(b) A coconut
(c) A banana
(d) A pineapple
9. How do the people of Pala suggest he conquer his fear?
(a) By acting it out for a tribe of people
(b) By facing his fear and repeating the action that made him feel it
(c) By recounting his story until he no longer fears it
(d) By pushing it to the back of his mind and not thinking about it
10. How many waves of invasion passed Pala by?
11. What do the Palanese teach the young ones to engage in that Murugan resisted?
(a) War games
12. How did Will see Molly?
(a) As a Wife of Love
(b) As a Sister of Mercy
(c) As a sweet and dear friend
(d) As a good Catholic woman
13. How does Susila believe she would have fared had she not been Palanese?
(a) She would have done better
(b) She would have been 'unhappily ever after'
(c) She would have been a problem child
(d) She would have had different parents
14. What does Karuna mean to the Palanese?
15. Does Murugan follow these practices?
(a) I don't know
(b) Only in appearances
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Part 2 state about people?
2. Who was Andrew MacPhail's second patient after the Raja?
3. Why does Will want to stay on Pala?
4. Why did Rani and Murugan leave Pala originally?
5. What was the habit the old Raja couldn't break?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)