|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the first thing the poem reminded him of?
(a) A summer holiday in Switzerland
(b) A winter holiday in Thailand
(c) His mismanaged life
(d) His dead wife
2. What did Molly do as a hobby?
(a) She knitted
(b) She sewed
(c) She painted
(d) She baked
3. What stone figure is sitting by the lotus pool?
(c) A Frog
(d) A Crane
4. Why did Rani and Murugan leave Pala originally?
(a) They left to better Murugan's health
(b) So she could indoctrinate him better
(c) So she could keep tight control over him
(d) So she could remove the negative influences around him
5. What does the tea Will is fed do, according to the nurse?
(a) It is a flavorful beverage to delight his palate
(b) It is a sleeping draught
(c) Helps people to stop worrying
(d) It is a pain killer
6. What does Mr. Bahu say the plague of the twentieth century is?
(a) The Gray Life
7. What to the Palanese is a sex addict?
(a) A criminal
(b) A normal human being
(c) A person of fair psychosis
(d) A person addict, or lovers
8. What was the image that nurse Appu saw in her minds eye that made her laugh
(a) Their kitten chasing yarn
(b) A bear on a unicycle
(c) The pyramids in white cloth
(d) A pedantic teacher on too much caffeine
9. How did Will see Molly?
(a) As a Wife of Love
(b) As a good Catholic woman
(c) As a sweet and dear friend
(d) As a Sister of Mercy
10. How does Will feel about his marooning on Pala?
(a) He is lucky, that is where he had to go anyway
(b) He feels lonely, as no one shares his life views here
(c) He feels desolate as he is stuck there
(d) He is angry at the plane for crash landing him on Pala
11. What does Susila compare children to?
(a) Manichean dualists
(b) Young squirrels
(d) Mynah birds
12. What does the little book state about faith?
(a) It states that faith resides in the justified capacity to know who exactly we are
(b) It states that Faith is the oppression of the masses, and that faith in oneself is the key to salvation
(c) Faith is only to be understood by the servants of God
(d) Faith is to be interpreted and wholeheartedly followed by the Rani
13. What is the first culture difference Will perceives on this island?
(a) Children are treated as adults
(b) Children are given strict penalties for stepping out of line
(c) Children are not coddled for their injuries
(d) The civilization is tribal in nature
14. What do the Palanese teach the young ones to engage in that Murugan resisted?
(d) War games
15. Why did the waves of invasion pass Pala by?
(a) Pala has no trade
(b) Pala has no harbor
(c) Pala is shrouded by deadly reefs
(d) Pala has no military
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the first thing Will did when he awoke from his nap?
2. Why was Will headed to Pala?
3. How many children were in James and Janet's family?
4. What does Dipa want to do with Pala?
5. Who was the Rani's master?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)