|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Bryson takes his family to one of the last drive-ins in the area, what is the experience like?
2. What does Bryson say about the long trip and back to take his son to college?
3. What February holiday does Bryson say is new to him on his return to the United States?
4. When looking for a place to live in the United States, what was the only thing Bryson liked about Adams, Massachusetts?
5. What movie is Bryson describing at the beginning of "The Wasteland"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Wasteland," what is Bryson criticizing? Name three points of his criticism.
2. In "Lost in Cyberland," what kind of adventures does Bryson have with technology in America?
3. In "Deck the Halls," Bryson tells his readers that he is not looking forward to Christmas decorating. Why is this?
4. What does Bryson tell the reader about drive-in movies in "At the Drive-In"?
5. In "Shopping Madness," Bryson says there is a discipline called "retail anthropology." What is it ? What are some of the things it studies?
6. "Your Tax Form Explained", what does Bryson satirize? Give three examples of how he does this.
7. In "Hail to the Chief," Bryson looks at the American holiday of Presidents Day. Give three points about the day that Bryson mentions.
8. In "On Losing a Son," what does Bryson say his main activities are as a father sending his son off to college?
9. In "The Flying Nightmare," Bryson compares modern air travel with air travel from his youth in the 1960s and 70s. List three points he makes.
10. In "A Day at the Seaside," what does Mrs. Bryson suggest the family do? How does Bill react to this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define what is meant by "style" in writing. Discuss what kind of style is used in traditional nonfiction, novels, and creative nonfiction. Which style was used in the writing of "I'm a Stranger Here Myself?" Support your answer with four examples.
Essay Topic 2
What role does the Bryson family play in the memoir "I'm a Stranger Here Myself"? Are they as important to the narrative as the author and the environment? Give four examples where the other members of the family are central to the story-telling. Give four examples where the narrative is focused only on Bill and the community/the United States.
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Bill Bryson included Essay 69, "An Address to the Graduating Glass of Kimball Union Academy"? What do you think his intent was? Discuss three points of advice that he included in his speech.
This section contains 1,366 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)