|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bryson fondly remember about highway travel when he was a boy?
(a) The scenery.
(b) The rest stops.
(c) The lack of transport trucks.
(d) The billboards.
2. According to Bryson, what is the result of the "abundance of choice" in America?
(a) A lot of happy people.
(b) A lot of time wasted.
(c) A lot of rich business owners.
(d) A simple way of life.
3. How is "Your Tax Form Explained" structured?
(a) It is in a nonsense language.
(b) It is the actual tax form Bryson submitted.
(c) It runs backwards.
(d) It is a mock tax instruction sheet.
4. What does Bryson say about the long trip and back to take his son to college?
(a) It was quick.
(b) It was sad.
(c) Travelling on American highways is dull.
(d) Travelling by car is one of his favorite things.
5. In "Death Watch," what does Bryson dislike because they are "cold and bouncy and make odd noises."?
(a) Japanese cars.
(b) Frozen pizza rolls.
(c) Small planes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What February holiday does Bryson say is new to him on his return to the United States?
2. Why was Bryson unhappy about a flight he and his family took from Minneapolis?
3. In "The Waste Generation," what does Bryson think is getting worse in the United States, compared to his youth?
4. In "Drowning in Red Tape," what is Bryson frustrated about acquiring for his wife?
5. How many "new" consumer products does Bryson say are launched every year in the United States?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "In Praise of Diners," Bryson talks about an old American institution that has almost disappeared, the diner restaurant. List at least three things he tells the readers about diners.
2. In "Deck the Halls," Bryson tells his readers that he is not looking forward to Christmas decorating. Why is this?
3. In "The Wasteland," what is Bryson criticizing? Name three points of his criticism.
4. Bryson explains the joys of living in a snowy climate in "Fun in the Snow." How does he give the reader the impression that he is not a natural athlete?
5. In "Lost in Cyberland," what kind of adventures does Bryson have with technology in America?
6. In "Hail to the Chief," Bryson looks at the American holiday of Presidents Day. Give three points about the day that Bryson mentions.
7. "Highway Diversions" is Bryson's look at highway travel, which he says is very dull. How does he compare modern highway travel to the highway travel of his youth?
8. What does Bryson tell the reader about drive-in movies in "At the Drive-In"?
9. In "Life's Mysteries," Bryson lists a very large number of things that he doesn't understand. What are four of these things?
10. "Your Tax Form Explained", what does Bryson satirize? Give three examples of how he does this.
This section contains 1,537 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)