|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Bryson have to buy a whole new computer and fax system when he returns to the United States?
(a) He'd never owned a computer but now needed one for work.
(b) His kids were tired of using the family's 1980s model.
(c) All his electronics got lost on the way.
(d) The British have a different electrical system.
2. In "Death Watch," what does Bryson dislike because they are "cold and bouncy and make odd noises."?
(b) Small planes.
(c) Frozen pizza rolls.
(d) Japanese cars.
3. Why does Bryson say he never ultimately drove the rental car he needed at the Boston airport?
(a) A friend gave him a lift instead.
(b) He would not buy insurance.
(c) He could not find it.
(d) He did not have a valid driver's license.
4. According to Bryson, what problem does he have with relating to New Englanders?
(a) They never want any "alone time."
(b) They love winter and winter sports.
(c) They never watch television.
(d) They don't trust people who read books.
5. How did Bryson describe his first run on a snowmobile?
(a) As awesome.
(b) As too slow for him.
(c) As a jolly good time.
(d) As a waking nightmare.
6. According to Bryson, what is the result of the "abundance of choice" in America?
(a) A lot of time wasted.
(b) A simple way of life.
(c) A lot of rich business owners.
(d) A lot of happy people.
7. What word associated with Christmas does Bryson wonder about at the beginning of "The Mysteries of Christmas"?
8. What is Bryson's observations on the conveniences of life in America in the 1990s?
(a) They are the best improvement he came home to.
(b) He wishes England had more conveniences.
(c) They are not necessarily better, but people think they are.
(d) They need to be banned.
9. What do the British celebrate on December 26th?
(b) Boxing Day.
(c) Little Christmas.
(d) St. Paul's Day.
10. What does Bryson do in the section called "Life's Mysteries"?
(a) Asks questions about things he doesn't understand.
(b) Talks about unsolved murder cases in New Hampshire.
(c) Wonders why the English act the way they do.
(d) Answers questions about things most people don't understand.
11. What is Bryson's opinion of book tours?
(a) They are boring.
(b) They are a waste of time.
(c) They are kind of fun.
(d) They are very educational.
12. What does Bryson say about the long trip and back to take his son to college?
(a) It was sad.
(b) Travelling by car is one of his favorite things.
(c) Travelling on American highways is dull.
(d) It was quick.
13. How is "Your Tax Form Explained" structured?
(a) It runs backwards.
(b) It is the actual tax form Bryson submitted.
(c) It is in a nonsense language.
(d) It is a mock tax instruction sheet.
14. What does Bryson like to do when he picks up his mail on winter mornings?
(a) Take a thermos of hot tea with him.
(b) Give his snowblower a work out.
(c) Walk his dog.
(d) Test his tolerance for the cold.
15. What does Bryson hate about Christmas?
(a) Buying gifts.
(b) The music.
(c) Getting the decorations out of the attic.
(d) The expense.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Bryson unhappy about a flight he and his family took from Minneapolis?
2. What is the main point Bryson is making in "Your Tax Form Explained"?
3. According to Bryson, which of his sons might one day become a libel lawyer?
4. What does Bryson fondly remember about highway travel when he was a boy?
5. What does Bryson mean by the "wasteland"?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)