|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bill say is ridiculous about a VCR?
(a) It has no remote.
(b) It can record twelve months in advance.
(c) It is being replaced by a DVD player.
(d) It costs so much.
2. What does Bill say is a new shopping experience for him on his return to America?
(a) Outlet malls.
(b) Personal service.
(c) Shopping insurance.
(d) Money-back guarantees.
3. Where do Bill and his wife go to celebrate their anniversary?
(a) To a fancy restaurant in Vermont.
(b) To a ski resort in Quebec.
(c) To a spa in Connecticut.
(d) To an expensive inn in Massachusetts.
4. In "Why Everyone is Worried," which federal agency is not doing a very good job, according to Bryson?
(a) Homeland Security.
(b) The FBI.
(c) The CIA.
(d) Administration on Aging.
5. What is one activity that Bill is happy to return to in America?
(d) Paying taxes.
6. According to Bryson, why did a store in Michigan win a case brought against them by a customer?
(a) The store had a right to protect itself from shoplifting
(b) It had a really good lawyer.
(c) The customer had a history of suing every business in town.
(d) The store had a right to hire armed guards
7. What is Bill's wife's reaction to his new American haircut?
(a) She says she wants to send their sons there, too.
(b) She loves it.
(c) She bursts into tears.
(d) She says he must have said something to upset the barber.
8. What trait does Bill admit that he has in regards to simple everyday activities?
(a) He is perfect at everything he does.
(b) He is absentminded.
(c) He never forgets anything.
(d) He is clumsy.
9. What does Bill say about the way people of the world eat?
(a) There are thousands of foods but only a few are eaten a lot.
(b) Most people eat too much.
(c) We eat a huge variety of things.
(d) Most people don't eat enough.
10. According to Bill, what is the outstanding quality of Americans?
(a) Their friendliness.
(b) Their sense of humor.
(c) Their ambition.
(d) Their business sense.
11. What does Bill say is a big improvement in America concerning business phone numbers?
(a) They are only four-digits.
(b) They are preprogrammed on everyone's phone.
(c) Business calls cannot be made into people's homes.
(d) The 1-800 numbers are easy to remember.
12. In "Consuming Pleasures," what does Bill say about shopping in America?
(a) There is underproduction of goods.
(b) You can buy almost anything.
(c) Everything must be bought in person.
(d) It is a boring and tedious activity.
13. What does Bill say about the barber in his new hometown?
(a) He only seems to know hairstyles from the 1950's.
(b) He is fresh out of barber school and eager to try new things.
(c) He reads more books than Bill does.
(d) He could talk the hind leg off a donkey.
14. In "Junk-Food Heaven," according to Bill, what kind of food shopper is his wife?
(a) She buys a lot of junk food.
(b) She buys healthy and nutritious food.
(c) She loves to cut out and use coupons.
(d) She hates shopping; he does it all.
15. What British sport does Bill find dull but restful?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bill hate about flying now that he is back in the U.S.?
2. What does Bill say about his hair?
3. Bill says the GDP is very hard to measure in modern times. What does GDP stand for?
4. What did the town of Laconia, New Hampshire, have to do about its new sidewalks and benches in its town center?
5. What does Bill Bryson like about his new home town?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)