|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bill say is a new shopping experience for him on his return to America?
(a) Outlet malls.
(b) Personal service.
(c) Money-back guarantees.
(d) Shopping insurance.
2. What do U.S. post offices do once a year that Bill likes a lot?
(a) Have a charity softball game.
(b) Give customers free donuts, pastries, and coffee.
(c) Give customers free stamps.
(d) Give out door prizes.
3. How do 40,000 Americans die a year, according to Bryson?
(a) By contracting hepatitis.
(b) By accidents on construction sites.
(c) By gunshot wounds.
(d) By falling under trains.
4. After living in Britain for twenty years, what does Bill find refreshingly different about the United States?
(a) The government.
(b) The informality.
(c) The fashions.
(d) The weather.
5. What American kitchen convenience does Bill think is just wonderful?
(a) The blender.
(b) The garbage disposal.
(c) The microwave.
(d) The dishwasher.
6. What does Bill tell the reader about crime in New Hampshire?
(a) Serious crime is on the increase.
(b) Petty crime is a problem in the rural areas.
(c) There is no death penalty.
(d) There were only four murders in the last reporting year.
7. How much does Bryson say the government spends on fighting drugs?
(a) $10 billion a year.
(b) $500 million a year.
(c) $1 billion dollars a year.
(d) $50 billion a year.
8. According to Bill, which offense do the British commit that he takes offense to?
(a) Charging to use public bathrooms.
(b) Being rude.
(c) Sloppy parking.
(d) Not lining up for service.
9. What does Bryson call the expression his wife wears when she is ready for serious gardening?
(a) Her Gatorade expression.
(b) Her Pepsi expression.
(c) Her Nike expression.
(d) Her Adidas expression.
10. What does Bill say is ridiculous about a VCR?
(a) It is being replaced by a DVD player.
(b) It has no remote.
(c) It costs so much.
(d) It can record twelve months in advance.
11. Bill is amazed that thousands of Americans end up in the emergency rooms every year from using certain things. What are they?
(b) Snow blowers.
(d) Common household items.
12. What does Bill say that he has to remember about going into restaurants?
(a) To wait to be seated.
(b) He has to remove his baseball cap.
(c) They don't sell alcoholic drinks in the local eateries.
(d) You need to show identification.
13. What British sport does Bill find dull but restful?
14. What does Bill say is a big improvement in America concerning business phone numbers?
(a) They are only four-digits.
(b) The 1-800 numbers are easy to remember.
(c) Business calls cannot be made into people's homes.
(d) They are preprogrammed on everyone's phone.
15. According to Bryson, what is lacking in his New Hampshire town?
(b) Good entertainment.
(c) Intelligent people.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the twenty years since Bryson left the United States, by how much have car numbers, roads, and mileage increased?
2. According to Bryson, why are national parks and wilderness areas in the United States overcrowded?
3. In "Why Everyone is Worried," which federal agency is not doing a very good job, according to Bryson?
4. In "Lost at the Movies," which Jurassic Park movie did Bryson take his children to see?
5. What does Bill say about the way people of the world eat?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)