|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bill say is a big improvement in America concerning business phone numbers?
(a) They are preprogrammed on everyone's phone.
(b) They are only four-digits.
(c) The 1-800 numbers are easy to remember.
(d) Business calls cannot be made into people's homes.
2. How does Bryson begin "Tales of the North Woods?"
(a) He talks about a college student who left a party and died in the woods.
(b) He talks about shoveling snow.
(c) He talks about using a snowmobile.
(d) He talks about the town that disappeared, and no one has found it.
3. What British sport does Bill find dull but restful?
4. Why doesn't Bryson like gardening with his wife?
(a) She screams if she sees any insects.
(b) She is English and thus an expert gardener.
(c) He has to do all the work.
(d) She expects him to garden for hours at a time.
5. What does Bill say is a new shopping experience for him on his return to America?
(a) Shopping insurance.
(b) Money-back guarantees.
(c) Outlet malls.
(d) Personal service.
6. Where do Bill and his wife go to celebrate their anniversary?
(a) To an expensive inn in Massachusetts.
(b) To a fancy restaurant in Vermont.
(c) To a ski resort in Quebec.
(d) To a spa in Connecticut.
7. What part of the house does Bill regard as delightful and pretty much the same in every American household?
(a) The family room.
(b) The attic.
(c) The basement.
(d) The laundry room.
8. What does Bill tell the reader about crime in New Hampshire?
(a) Petty crime is a problem in the rural areas.
(b) Serious crime is on the increase.
(c) There is no death penalty.
(d) There were only four murders in the last reporting year.
9. In "The Risk Factor," what does Bryson say an American is twice as likely to do as a British person?
(a) Die in childbirth.
(b) Die accidentally.
(c) Die is hospital.
(d) Die of cancer.
10. What disappeared in the north woods of New Hampshire in 1996 and was never found?
(a) A van full of illegal aliens.
(b) A Lear jet.
(c) A helicopter.
(d) The Bryson's dog.
11. Why does Bryson have an issue with the Internet?
(a) It's unreliable.
(b) It's expensive.
(c) It's making people anti-social.
(d) People can glean personal information about others.
12. How many children do the Brysons have?
13. What particular product in American supermarkets fascinates Bill?
(a) Pet food.
(b) Laundry soap.
14. When Bill phones the computer hotline to ask for help, what information do they ask him for first?
(a) The computer's serial number.
(b) His date of birth.
(c) His Social Security number.
(d) His address.
15. What is Bill's wife's reaction to his new American haircut?
(a) She bursts into tears.
(b) She says she wants to send their sons there, too.
(c) She says he must have said something to upset the barber.
(d) She loves it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What American kitchen convenience does Bill think is just wonderful?
2. Bill says the GDP is very hard to measure in modern times. What does GDP stand for?
3. In "How to Have Fun at Home," why does Bill think having your groceries bagged for you is not so great?
4. Although the GDP is seen as a positive in economic terms, how does Bill say it can be negative?
5. What does Bill like about having a college as part of he town he lives in?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)