|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The War on Drugs," what is wrong, according to Bryson, about the penalties for drug possession?
(a) He thinks the laws favor the poor.
(b) He thinks the penalties should be harsher.
(c) He thinks the laws favor the rich.
(d) He thinks the penalties for drug possession are too harsh.
2. Bryson nostalgically describes the movie theater where he grew up. Where is his home town?
(a) Montgomery, Alabama.
(b) Des Moines, Iowa.
(c) Dearborn, Michigan.
(d) Richford, Vermont.
3. What does Bill say it would take over 31,000 years to do?
(a) Make the tax system fair.
(b) Count a trillion dollars.
(c) Pay off the national debt.
(d) Travel to Mars and back.
4. After living in Britain for twenty years, what does Bill find refreshingly different about the United States?
(a) The informality.
(b) The weather.
(c) The government.
(d) The fashions.
5. What is one activity that Bill is happy to return to in America?
(a) Paying taxes.
6. Why doesn't Bryson like gardening with his wife?
(a) She is English and thus an expert gardener.
(b) She screams if she sees any insects.
(c) He has to do all the work.
(d) She expects him to garden for hours at a time.
7. What does Bill hate about flying now that he is back in the U.S.?
(a) The price of tickets.
(b) No meals are served.
(c) Having to show photo identification at the airport.
(d) The snacks are terrible.
8. What does Bill say is a new shopping experience for him on his return to America?
(a) Personal service.
(b) Outlet malls.
(c) Money-back guarantees.
(d) Shopping insurance.
9. In "Room Service," what does Bill say the Motel Inn in California is famous for?
(a) Being built over buried treasure.
(b) Being owned by Zorro.
(c) Being the first to use the word "motel."
(d) Being used in a lot of movies.
10. What British sport does Bill find dull but restful?
11. According to Bill, what product do Americans regard much differently than the British?
(a) Over-the-counter drugs.
(d) Pet food.
12. In "Lost at the Movies," which Jurassic Park movie did Bryson take his children to see?
(a) Lost Innocence.
(b) Lost World.
(c) Lost Dinosaurs.
(d) Lost Appetites.
13. How does Bryson begin "Tales of the North Woods?"
(a) He talks about shoveling snow.
(b) He talks about the town that disappeared, and no one has found it.
(c) He talks about a college student who left a party and died in the woods.
(d) He talks about using a snowmobile.
14. What does Bryson say about American gardens?
(a) They are mostly roses.
(b) They are mostly weeds.
(c) They are mostly lawn.
(d) They are mostly bushes.
15. What does Bryson find amazing about the geography of the United States?
(a) That the United States has no Arctic region.
(b) That there is very little variety.
(c) That it is smaller than Canada.
(d) That so much of the country is empty of people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bill say about his hair?
2. How does Bill feel when he goes to a barbershop?
3. How many children do the Brysons have?
4. Bryson finds summer blockbuster movies annoying, but what does he have a real problem with?
5. What does Bryson say that all New Englanders do?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)