|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The War on Drugs," what is wrong, according to Bryson, about the penalties for drug possession?
(a) He thinks the laws favor the poor.
(b) He thinks the penalties should be harsher.
(c) He thinks the laws favor the rich.
(d) He thinks the penalties for drug possession are too harsh.
2. In "Why Everyone is Worried," which federal agency is not doing a very good job, according to Bryson?
(a) Homeland Security.
(b) Administration on Aging.
(c) The CIA.
(d) The FBI.
3. According to Bryson, what is lacking in his New Hampshire town?
(b) Good entertainment.
(c) Intelligent people.
4. What British sport does Bill find dull but restful?
5. How many children do the Brysons have?
6. In "The Risk Factor," what does Bryson say an American is twice as likely to do as a British person?
(a) Die accidentally.
(b) Die is hospital.
(c) Die in childbirth.
(d) Die of cancer.
7. What does Bill say that he has to remember about going into restaurants?
(a) They don't sell alcoholic drinks in the local eateries.
(b) You need to show identification.
(c) He has to remove his baseball cap.
(d) To wait to be seated.
8. What does Bryson think is sad about how things are changing in modern Vermont?
(a) Pollution is increasing.
(b) The weather is warming up.
(c) More people now are born outside the state.
(d) There are too many Canadians there.
9. What disappeared in the north woods of New Hampshire in 1996 and was never found?
(a) A helicopter.
(b) The Bryson's dog.
(c) A van full of illegal aliens.
(d) A Lear jet.
10. What does Bill find to be a difficult adjustment for him when he returns to the U.S.?
(a) He finds it very noisy.
(b) He cannot find what he wants in the stores.
(c) He has forgotten American English.
(d) He left as a young man and came back middle-aged.
11. What does Bill find strange about some U.S. commercials?
(a) They cannot show cigarettes.
(b) They can be 5 minutes long.
(c) They advertise personal hygiene products.
(d) They have laugh tracks.
12. What does Bill say is a strange feature of their car?
(a) The steering wheel is heated.
(b) There is an indentation on the dashboard with no obvious use.
(c) It has no cup holders.
(d) It dispenses ice.
13. According to Bill, what product do Americans regard much differently than the British?
(a) Pet food.
(b) Over-the-counter drugs.
14. What does Bryson say about American gardens?
(a) They are mostly weeds.
(b) They are mostly bushes.
(c) They are mostly lawn.
(d) They are mostly roses.
15. What does Bill say about his hair?
(a) He has "very happy" hair.
(b) He always covers it with a hat.
(c) He is losing it quickly.
(d) He wants to color the gray.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bryson finds summer blockbuster movies annoying, but what does he have a real problem with?
2. What does Bill say about American sports teams that would never happen in Britain?
3. How does Bill feel when he goes to a barbershop?
4. According to Bryson in "Why No One Walks," how far does the average American walk in a day?
5. In "Wide-Open Spaces," according to Bryson, who was an idiot?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)