|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What British sport does Bill find dull but restful?
2. What does Bill say it would take over 31,000 years to do?
(a) Make the tax system fair.
(b) Count a trillion dollars.
(c) Pay off the national debt.
(d) Travel to Mars and back.
3. What trait does Bill admit that he has in regards to simple everyday activities?
(a) He never forgets anything.
(b) He is clumsy.
(c) He is perfect at everything he does.
(d) He is absentminded.
4. What does Bill say is a big improvement in America concerning business phone numbers?
(a) The 1-800 numbers are easy to remember.
(b) They are only four-digits.
(c) They are preprogrammed on everyone's phone.
(d) Business calls cannot be made into people's homes.
5. What American kitchen convenience does Bill think is just wonderful?
(a) The garbage disposal.
(b) The blender.
(c) The dishwasher.
(d) The microwave.
6. What does Bill say about the barber in his new hometown?
(a) He only seems to know hairstyles from the 1950's.
(b) He could talk the hind leg off a donkey.
(c) He is fresh out of barber school and eager to try new things.
(d) He reads more books than Bill does.
7. In "Lost at the Movies," which Jurassic Park movie did Bryson take his children to see?
(a) Lost Innocence.
(b) Lost World.
(c) Lost Dinosaurs.
(d) Lost Appetites.
8. What does Bill find in the bottom of his refrigerator, a left over from his junk-food shopping with his wife?
(b) Toaster tarts.
(c) Breakfast pizza.
9. What do U.S. post offices do once a year that Bill likes a lot?
(a) Give customers free donuts, pastries, and coffee.
(b) Have a charity softball game.
(c) Give out door prizes.
(d) Give customers free stamps.
10. Why does Bill feel going to a restaurant is a discouraging experience?
(a) He's a picky eater.
(b) He's a vegan.
(c) He hates the high prices.
(d) He manages to antagonize the waitress.
11. What does Bill find strange about some U.S. commercials?
(a) They advertise personal hygiene products.
(b) They cannot show cigarettes.
(c) They can be 5 minutes long.
(d) They have laugh tracks.
12. In the twenty years since Bryson left the United States, by how much have car numbers, roads, and mileage increased?
(a) By 100%.
(b) By 10%.
(c) By two times.
(d) By half.
13. How does Bill feel when he goes to a barbershop?
(a) He can get caught up on his reading.
(b) Like he is going to empty his wallet.
(c) Helpless and insecure.
(d) Happy tot talk to someone with sense.
14. Bryson says that 94% of Americans' trips from home involve the use of something in particular. What is that item?
(a) A credit card.
(b) A snack.
(c) A car.
(d) A cell phone.
15. According to Bryson, why did a store in Michigan win a case brought against them by a customer?
(a) It had a really good lawyer.
(b) The customer had a history of suing every business in town.
(c) The store had a right to protect itself from shoplifting
(d) The store had a right to hire armed guards
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Dying Accents," what is the name of the man who does carpentry around the Bryson house?
2. What does Bill say about his hair?
3. In "How to Have Fun at Home," why does Bill think having your groceries bagged for you is not so great?
4. Bill says the GDP is very hard to measure in modern times. What does GDP stand for?
5. What is Bill's wife's reaction to his new American haircut?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)