|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Why Everyone Is Worried, The Risk Factor, The War on Drugs, Dying Accents, Inefficiency Report, Why No One Walks, Wide-Open Spaces, Snoopers at Work, Lost at the Movies and Gardening with my Wife.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bill explain the popularity of motel chains in America?
(a) Privately owned ones are expensive.
(b) The chains are clean and efficient.
(c) Good marketing.
(d) People want the same thing wherever they go.
2. After living in Britain for twenty years, what does Bill find refreshingly different about the United States?
(a) The informality.
(b) The government.
(c) The weather.
(d) The fashions.
3. How does Bill know so much about motels?
(a) He used to own one.
(b) He is reading a book called "The Motel in America."
(c) He belongs to a motel club.
(d) He has stayed at thousands.
4. What does Bryson think is sad about how things are changing in modern Vermont?
(a) There are too many Canadians there.
(b) More people now are born outside the state.
(c) Pollution is increasing.
(d) The weather is warming up.
5. What does Bill Bryson like about his new home town?
(a) It has a great college.
(b) It has great shopping.
(c) It is a suburb.
(d) It is close to Boston.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bill say about the barber in his new hometown?
2. Although the GDP is seen as a positive in economic terms, how does Bill say it can be negative?
3. What does Bill say it would take over 31,000 years to do?
4. What does Bill say is a strange feature of their car?
5. How does Bryson begin "Tales of the North Woods?"
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)