|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Great Indoors, Death Watch, In Praise of Diners, Shopping Madness, The Fat of the Land, Your New Computer, How to Rent a Car, The Wasteland, The Flying Nightmare and Enough Already.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Bryson tell her husband about Maggie that cheers him up?
(a) Maggie had made herself sick on vegetarian stew.
(b) Maggie had moved to Boston.
(c) Maggie dyed her hair, and it turned green.
(d) Maggie had to have her jaw wired shut for dental work.
2. What does Bill say is ridiculous about a VCR?
(a) It costs so much.
(b) It is being replaced by a DVD player.
(c) It has no remote.
(d) It can record twelve months in advance.
3. What New Hampshire town did the Bryson family settle in during 1995?
4. How does Bill explain the popularity of motel chains in America?
(a) Privately owned ones are expensive.
(b) The chains are clean and efficient.
(c) Good marketing.
(d) People want the same thing wherever they go.
5. In "How to Have Fun at Home," why does Bill think having your groceries bagged for you is not so great?
(a) He has to make conversation with the bagger.
(b) It makes him feel lazy.
(c) It doesn't buy him any quality time.
(d) He has to tip the bagger.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bill say that he has to remember about going into restaurants?
2. How does Bill know so much about motels?
3. According to Bryson, what is the result of the "abundance of choice" in America?
4. What particular product in American supermarkets fascinates Bill?
5. What is one activity that Bill is happy to return to in America?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)