|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Ah, Summer!, A Day at the Seaside, On Losing a Son, Highway Diversions, Fall in New England, The Best American Holiday, Deck the Halls, Fun in the Snow, The Mysteries of Christmas, Life in a Cold Climate.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "On Losing a Son," why does Bryson decide to play baseball with his youngest child?
(a) He wants him to learn an American sport.
(b) He is tired of working on his writing.
(c) He realizes the little boy is growing up.
(d) He thinks the boy has a chance to be professional.
2. What does Bill tell the reader about crime in New Hampshire?
(a) Serious crime is on the increase.
(b) Petty crime is a problem in the rural areas.
(c) There is no death penalty.
(d) There were only four murders in the last reporting year.
3. What does Bill say about the barber in his new hometown?
(a) He reads more books than Bill does.
(b) He could talk the hind leg off a donkey.
(c) He only seems to know hairstyles from the 1950's.
(d) He is fresh out of barber school and eager to try new things.
4. What particular product in American supermarkets fascinates Bill?
(b) Laundry soap.
(c) Pet food.
5. Where do Bill and his wife go to celebrate their anniversary?
(a) To a spa in Connecticut.
(b) To a fancy restaurant in Vermont.
(c) To a ski resort in Quebec.
(d) To an expensive inn in Massachusetts.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Bryson say the government spends on fighting drugs?
2. In "How to Have Fun at Home," why does Bill think having your groceries bagged for you is not so great?
3. In "Room Service," what does Bill say the Motel Inn in California is famous for?
4. In the twenty years since Bryson left the United States, by how much have car numbers, roads, and mileage increased?
5. What does Bill end up doing with all the food he buys at the supermarket?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)