|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Liz do with the remote control that she pulls out in the driver's ed car?
2. Why does Cammie become tearful in her Covert Operations class?
3. What shocks Liz, Cammie, and Anna about Buckingham?
4. What about Cammie is considered cool at her school?
5. What do Cammie, Bex, and Liz ask the Headmistress about their living suite?
Short Essay Questions
1. What required class for this year has Anna Fetterman nervous and what change is there for the class this year?
2. Describe the first day of covert operations class.
3. What does the boy do who Cammie notices looking at her?
4. What is the subject of covert operations class in their next meeting?
5. What does Josh do that dampens Bex's interest in him and how does Cammie slip up to indicate she has met him before?
6. How does Mr. Solomon demonstrate the dangers of covert operations to the class members?
7. What do Liz and Cammie learn from the Dr. Pepper bottle that Josh had handled and why do they decide to go to his house that nigh?
8. Why do the girls think Josh may be trying to find Cammie when the girls search through his trash?
9. What does Cammie tell her mother about Mr. Solomon's knowledge about her dad and what does her mother say about it?
10. How does Joe Solomon calm Mascey down as she is racing back to tell her parents she does not want to stay at Gallagher's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
I'd Tell You I Love You, but Then I'd Have to Kill You belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel or mystery?
Essay Topic 2
Macey says it sounds like Josh is playing it cool in case she does not like him, and though he told his friend that Cammie is nobody, Macey suggests he is marking his territory or ashamed at liking the weird new girl. Cammie tries to hide her hurt from her friends concerning the fact that Josh said she is nobody, but Liz and Bex exchange a look that indicates they do not believe her.
1. Why do you think a boy or a girl might play it "cool" with someone in whom they are interested?
2. Discuss why a teenager might feel slightly ashamed if she or he were interested in someone his/her friends might consider weird.
3. Discuss reasons Cammie might want to hide her feelings from her friends.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in I'd Tell You I Love You, but Then I'd Have to Kill You. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Carter chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Carter chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Carter's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Carter use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
This section contains 1,265 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)