|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Senator Gallus when the Roman Guards come to arrest him?
2. What finally happens to Plancina?
3. Claudius's nickname of "Teruncius" translates to:
4. What does Urgulanilla say about Claudius in her will?
5. In a speech about Tiberius to the Senate, Caligula:
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Caligula manage to ride a horse across the Bay of Baiæ?
2. How does Claudius assist in preparing the case against Piso?
3. Who does Germanicus accuse of murdering him?
4. How does the actor, Mnester, prevent a massacre?
5. Why does Agrippina become alienated from Claudius?
6. What does Messalina tell Claudius about becoming emperor?
7. What happens as a result of Caligula's illness?
8. How does Caligula wage war on Neptune?
9. How does Calpurnia help Claudius avoid being tried for treason during Caligula's reign?
10. What reason does Livia give for Tiberius making Caligula his successor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Claudius divides his family into "good" Claudians and "bad" Claudians. What drove the "bad" Claudians? Write a paper addressing the question: Did madness run in the Claudian family?
Essay Topic 2
Contrast the Roman path to power with the American path. What does it take to be a successful person in Rome compared to what it takes in our country? Are the definitions of success the same in both cultures? If not, how do they differ?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the Roman Republic to another democratic system, either the United States government, or the British Parliamentary system, or another of your choosing.
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)