|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claudius advise the old Sergeant to do?
2. What finally happens to Plancina?
3. Why do the soldiers need a new emperor?
4. What did Caligula promise Cassius Chærea?
5. What does Claudius miss most when he is staying in Carthage?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Caligula manage to ride a horse across the Bay of Baiæ?
2. What does Claudius hope will happen once Caligula announces his new status as a God?
3. Who does Germanicus accuse of murdering him?
4. How does Calpurnia help Claudius avoid being tried for treason during Caligula's reign?
5. How does Sejanus arrange for Claudius's divorce?
6. Why does Agrippina become alienated from Claudius?
7. How does Tiberius get rid of Sejanus?
8. Who are the only male Claudians left by the time Tiberius dies?
9. How does a lizard foretell Tiberius's death?
10. What does Caligula tell Livia as she is dying?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick one of the following characters and contrast the character in the story with his or her historical character:
Essay Topic 2
Is this novel simply an entertaining story, or are there parallels to our modern world? Write an essay identifying and analyzing any parallels you can find, whether social, political, or moral, to our modern world.
Essay Topic 3
Write about the role of prophecy in the Roman religion.
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)