|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Claudius's nickname of "Teruncius" translates to:
2. Where did Tiberius live once he left Rome?
3. In a speech about Tiberius to the Senate, Caligula:
4. How did Caligula raise funds in France?
5. What disturbs Claudius about Caligula?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Antonia discover the plot against Tiberius?
2. What power does Livia still hold over Tiberius?
3. What happens as a result of Caligula's illness?
4. Describe some of Caligula's methods for raising money.
5. Who are the only male Claudians left by the time Tiberius dies?
6. How does Tiberius get rid of Sejanus?
7. What letter does Livia read to Tiberius to keep him under control?
8. What metaphor does Claudius use to describe Tiberius's rule?
9. Why is Livia so insistent on becoming a Goddess?
10. What does Caligula tell Livia as she is dying?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Historical fiction is a blend of fact and imagination. Write a paper pointing out when Robert Graves is basing his story on fact and when he is allowing himself to imagine what might have happened.
Essay Topic 2
Pick one of the following characters and contrast the character in the story with his or her historical character:
Essay Topic 3
Claudius divides his family into "good" Claudians and "bad" Claudians. What drove the "bad" Claudians? Write a paper addressing the question: Did madness run in the Claudian family?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)