|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name did Caligula start using in his divine form?
2. Where did Tiberius live once he left Rome?
3. The Senator Incitatus was:
4. Claudius's nickname of "Teruncius" translates to:
5. Who is Claudius surprised to find in his bedroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Antonia discover the plot against Tiberius?
2. What happens as a result of Caligula's illness?
3. What makes Germanicus happy about being appointed to oversee the eastern provinces?
4. What reason does Livia give for Tiberius making Caligula his successor?
5. Describe some of Caligula's methods for raising money.
6. Why does Claudius advise Agrippina to make friends with Nerva and Vipsania?
7. Who are the only male Claudians left by the time Tiberius dies?
8. How does Claudius assist in preparing the case against Piso?
9. Why does Livia play up the rivalry between Sejanus and Castor to Tiberius?
10. How does Calpurnia help Claudius avoid being tried for treason during Caligula's reign?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about the role of prophecy in the Roman religion.
Essay Topic 2
Is this novel simply an entertaining story, or are there parallels to our modern world? Write an essay identifying and analyzing any parallels you can find, whether social, political, or moral, to our modern world.
Essay Topic 3
Historical fiction is a blend of fact and imagination. Write a paper pointing out when Robert Graves is basing his story on fact and when he is allowing himself to imagine what might have happened.
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)