|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Antonia die?
2. What, according to Claudius, was a great turning point in Tiberius's reign?
3. What agreement do Ælia and Claudius come to regarding their marriage?
4. What does Livia demand Claudius do to Urgulanilla's baby?
5. How does Tiberius lose his friend, Nerva?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Livia give for Tiberius making Caligula his successor?
2. What letter does Livia read to Tiberius to keep him under control?
3. How does Calpurnia help Claudius avoid being tried for treason during Caligula's reign?
4. How does Claudius save the lives of the three noblemen who accompany him to Lyons?
5. Who does Germanicus accuse of murdering him?
6. Who are the three main conspirators in the plot to assassinate Caligula?
7. Who are the only male Claudians left by the time Tiberius dies?
8. How does Tiberius get rid of Sejanus?
9. How does the actor, Mnester, prevent a massacre?
10. What does Caligula tell Livia as she is dying?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about the role of prophecy in the Roman religion.
Essay Topic 2
Historical fiction is a blend of fact and imagination. Write a paper pointing out when Robert Graves is basing his story on fact and when he is allowing himself to imagine what might have happened.
Essay Topic 3
Of the three emperors shown in this novel, the progression goes from good to bad to horrible. Was this related to the power that grew from one emperor to another? Write an essay addressing the role that unchecked power plays in the corruption of a ruler.
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)