|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name did Caligula start using in his divine form?
2. Where is Germanicus sent after finishing his Consulship?
3. What does Claudius receive from Livia?
4. What was the outcome of Senator Gallus's trial?
5. Who speaks at Livia's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tiberius get rid of Sejanus?
2. Who are the three main conspirators in the plot to assassinate Caligula?
3. How does Antonia discover the plot against Tiberius?
4. What metaphor does Claudius use to describe Tiberius's rule?
5. How does Calpurnia help Claudius avoid being tried for treason during Caligula's reign?
6. What letter does Livia read to Tiberius to keep him under control?
7. What happens as a result of Caligula's illness?
8. What does Claudius hope will happen once Caligula announces his new status as a God?
9. What does Caligula tell Livia as she is dying?
10. What does Messalina tell Claudius about becoming emperor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Contrast the Ancient Roman concept of life, death, and afterlife with our modern concepts.
Essay Topic 2
Is this novel simply an entertaining story, or are there parallels to our modern world? Write an essay identifying and analyzing any parallels you can find, whether social, political, or moral, to our modern world.
Essay Topic 3
Were the Romans more superstitious than modern people? Or did they simply have different superstitions? Write a paper contrasting the superstitions held by Ancient Romans with the superstitions we hold today.
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)