|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Calpurnia ask Claudius for instead of presents?
2. What does Germanicus fear Plancina is doing?
3. How did Caligula raise funds in France?
4. What finally happens to Tiberius's body?
5. What does Livia ask Plancina to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What power does Livia still hold over Tiberius?
2. How does Caligula manage to ride a horse across the Bay of Baiæ?
3. Why is Livia so insistent on becoming a Goddess?
4. Who are the only male Claudians left by the time Tiberius dies?
5. What makes Germanicus happy about being appointed to oversee the eastern provinces?
6. Why does Livia play up the rivalry between Sejanus and Castor to Tiberius?
7. How does Calpurnia help Claudius avoid being tried for treason during Caligula's reign?
8. Describe Claudius's relationship with his wife, Urgulanilla.
9. What does Caligula tell Livia as she is dying?
10. What does Claudius hope will happen once Caligula announces his new status as a God?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the Roman Republic to another democratic system, either the United States government, or the British Parliamentary system, or another of your choosing.
Essay Topic 2
Is this novel simply an entertaining story, or are there parallels to our modern world? Write an essay identifying and analyzing any parallels you can find, whether social, political, or moral, to our modern world.
Essay Topic 3
Claudius divides his family into "good" Claudians and "bad" Claudians. What drove the "bad" Claudians? Write a paper addressing the question: Did madness run in the Claudian family?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)