|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claudius suspect happened to Drusilla?
2. What was the outcome of Senator Gallus's trial?
3. Why did Tiberius not visit his son, Castor, before Castor's death?
4. What does Urgulanilla say about Claudius in her will?
5. What is Claudius surprised about once Livia is dead?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Calpurnia help Claudius avoid being tried for treason during Caligula's reign?
2. How does Sejanus arrange for Claudius's divorce?
3. What happens as a result of Caligula's illness?
4. How does Caligula wage war on Neptune?
5. What does Cassius threaten to do if the other conspirators refuse to go through with the plot?
6. How does the actor, Mnester, prevent a massacre?
7. Describe Claudius's relationship with his wife, Urgulanilla.
8. What does Messalina tell Claudius about becoming emperor?
9. What letter does Livia read to Tiberius to keep him under control?
10. Why is Livia so insistent on becoming a Goddess?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is this novel simply an entertaining story, or are there parallels to our modern world? Write an essay identifying and analyzing any parallels you can find, whether social, political, or moral, to our modern world.
Essay Topic 2
Of the three emperors shown in this novel, the progression goes from good to bad to horrible. Was this related to the power that grew from one emperor to another? Write an essay addressing the role that unchecked power plays in the corruption of a ruler.
Essay Topic 3
Contrast the Ancient Roman concept of life, death, and afterlife with our modern concepts.
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)