|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Livia tell Claudius about her own death?
2. What, according to Claudius, was a great turning point in Tiberius's reign?
3. What does Claudius suspect happened to Drusilla?
4. What does Piso give Tiberius at his trial?
5. What number did Germanicus consider especially unlucky?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Calpurnia help Claudius avoid being tried for treason during Caligula's reign?
2. What makes Germanicus happy about being appointed to oversee the eastern provinces?
3. How does the actor, Mnester, prevent a massacre?
4. Who are the three main conspirators in the plot to assassinate Caligula?
5. What reason does Livia give for Tiberius making Caligula his successor?
6. What does Caligula tell Livia as she is dying?
7. How does Sejanus arrange for Claudius's divorce?
8. How does a lizard foretell Tiberius's death?
9. What advice does Calpurnia give Claudius about his position in the palace?
10. Describe some of Caligula's methods for raising money.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that addresses the differences (or similarities) between marriage and divorce in Ancient Rome and in our modern world.
Essay Topic 2
Claudius divides his family into "good" Claudians and "bad" Claudians. What drove the "bad" Claudians? Write a paper addressing the question: Did madness run in the Claudian family?
Essay Topic 3
Is this novel simply an entertaining story, or are there parallels to our modern world? Write an essay identifying and analyzing any parallels you can find, whether social, political, or moral, to our modern world.
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)