|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Caligula react to Cassius's story of a German ambush?
2. What thought does Claudius comfort himself with as he is made emperor?
3. Why is Piso sent to Syria?
4. What does Livia do to embarrass Tiberius?
5. Caligula made all the palace men shave their heads because:
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as a result of Caligula's illness?
2. What letter does Livia read to Tiberius to keep him under control?
3. What does Caligula tell Livia as she is dying?
4. What does Claudius hope will happen once Caligula announces his new status as a God?
5. What advice does Calpurnia give Claudius about his position in the palace?
6. What metaphor does Claudius use to describe Tiberius's rule?
7. What does Cassius threaten to do if the other conspirators refuse to go through with the plot?
8. Why does Claudius advise Agrippina to make friends with Nerva and Vipsania?
9. How does Calpurnia help Claudius avoid being tried for treason during Caligula's reign?
10. Describe Claudius's relationship with his wife, Urgulanilla.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Contrast the Roman path to power with the American path. What does it take to be a successful person in Rome compared to what it takes in our country? Are the definitions of success the same in both cultures? If not, how do they differ?
Essay Topic 2
Contrast the Ancient Roman concept of life, death, and afterlife with our modern concepts.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that addresses the differences (or similarities) between marriage and divorce in Ancient Rome and in our modern world.
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)