|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who speaks at Livia's funeral?
2. Which sister of Caligula did he claim as his favorite?
3. Why did Tiberius not visit his son, Castor, before Castor's death?
4. What disturbs Claudius about Caligula?
5. How does the Senate react to Tiberius's denouncement of Agrippina and Nero?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the three main conspirators in the plot to assassinate Caligula?
2. Describe Claudius's relationship with his wife, Urgulanilla.
3. What happens as a result of Caligula's illness?
4. Why does Livia play up the rivalry between Sejanus and Castor to Tiberius?
5. What metaphor does Claudius use to describe Tiberius's rule?
6. How does a lizard foretell Tiberius's death?
7. How does Antonia discover the plot against Tiberius?
8. What advice does Calpurnia give Claudius about his position in the palace?
9. What does Caligula tell Livia as she is dying?
10. What makes Germanicus happy about being appointed to oversee the eastern provinces?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick one of the following characters and contrast the character in the story with his or her historical character:
Essay Topic 2
Of the three emperors shown in this novel, the progression goes from good to bad to horrible. Was this related to the power that grew from one emperor to another? Write an essay addressing the role that unchecked power plays in the corruption of a ruler.
Essay Topic 3
Is this novel simply an entertaining story, or are there parallels to our modern world? Write an essay identifying and analyzing any parallels you can find, whether social, political, or moral, to our modern world.
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)