|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Claudius surprised about once Livia is dead?
2. Why is Piso sent to Syria?
3. What did Caligula promise Cassius Chærea?
4. Cassius Chærea was disgusted when Caligula made him:
5. Caligula amuses the populace by using what class of people as sword-fighters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Calpurnia give Claudius about his position in the palace?
2. How does Calpurnia help Claudius avoid being tried for treason during Caligula's reign?
3. What happens as a result of Caligula's illness?
4. Describe some of Caligula's methods for raising money.
5. What reason does Livia give for Tiberius making Caligula his successor?
6. How does Claudius assist in preparing the case against Piso?
7. How does Antonia discover the plot against Tiberius?
8. What does Cassius threaten to do if the other conspirators refuse to go through with the plot?
9. Why does Livia play up the rivalry between Sejanus and Castor to Tiberius?
10. How does Claudius save the lives of the three noblemen who accompany him to Lyons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Historical fiction is a blend of fact and imagination. Write a paper pointing out when Robert Graves is basing his story on fact and when he is allowing himself to imagine what might have happened.
Essay Topic 2
Contrast the Roman path to power with the American path. What does it take to be a successful person in Rome compared to what it takes in our country? Are the definitions of success the same in both cultures? If not, how do they differ?
Essay Topic 3
Contrast the Ancient Roman concept of life, death, and afterlife with our modern concepts.
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)