|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Claudius when Caligula was assassinated?
(a) Walking about twenty paces behind him
(b) Waiting for him at the Palace
(c) With Calpurnia, at his small villa
(d) Sitting in the seats at the theater
2. How does Tiberius lose his friend, Nerva?
(a) Nerva simply stops eating one day.
(b) Nerva is killed by Caligula.
(c) Nerva asks to go back to Rome.
(d) Nerva learns the truth about Tiberius.
3. What class of people did Augustus especially distrust?
4. What does Livia tell Claudius about her own death?
(a) That she wants him to plan her funeral
(b) That she is planning to commit suicide
(c) That she knows the very day she will die
(d) That she will be murdered by Tiberius
5. What does Urgulanilla say about Claudius in her will?
(a) He was much nicer than you would think.
(b) I did not hate him.
(c) He is no fool.
(d) He was the only man I ever loved.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Castor promise Agrippina that he will do?
2. How does Caligula react to Cassius's story of a German ambush?
3. What does Sejanus advise Claudius not to do?
4. What was the outcome of Senator Gallus's trial?
5. How does Tiberius propose rewarding Sejanus for breaking the Leek Green party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What metaphor does Claudius use to describe Tiberius's rule?
2. How does Antonia discover the plot against Tiberius?
3. How does the actor, Mnester, prevent a massacre?
4. Why does Livia play up the rivalry between Sejanus and Castor to Tiberius?
5. What power does Livia still hold over Tiberius?
6. Why does Claudius advise Agrippina to make friends with Nerva and Vipsania?
7. Describe Claudius's relationship with his wife, Urgulanilla.
8. Who are the only male Claudians left by the time Tiberius dies?
9. Describe some of Caligula's methods for raising money.
10. Why is Livia so insistent on becoming a Goddess?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)