|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pollio bet Livy that Claudius is reading?
(a) The Classics
(b) Love poems
(c) Livia's book
2. Who is assumed to become Augustus's successor when he dies?
3. Who is Flavius?
(a) Germanicus's second-in-command.
(b) A former general with the German army.
(c) A slave who was captured in Germany.
(d) The brother of the German general, Hermann.
4. Who was the Crocodile?
(a) One of the men who guarded Postumus on the island.
(b) A freedman who had worked for Postumus's father.
(c) A helpful librarian at the temple of Apollo in Rome.
(d) One of the Roman Guards at the Imperial palace.
5. What surprises Augustus most about hearing Claudius declaim?
(a) The large audience loves Claudius.
(b) The speech goes on for two hours.
(c) Claudius does not stammer.
(d) Claudius is standing straighter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of animal does Livia compare Claudius to?
2. What is the best part of Germanicus's final incursions against the Germans?
3. Who offers to capture Postumus for Tiberius?
4. According to Claudius, how many Germans for each Roman soldier killed in the battles?
5. Why does Augustus move the sword-fighters out of the city?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Claudius investigate Pollio's charge that Livia murdered his father?
2. Why does Claudius wait until Germanicus returns to Rome to tell him that Postumus was innocent?
3. Why does Augustus refuse to eat or drink anything but bread, water, and figs straight from the tree?
4. What does Livia do to bring Tiberius back to Rome?
5. Why does Germanicus send his wife Agrippina, back to Rome?
6. How does Claudius find out that his letters to Germanicus are being intercepted?
7. What does Pollio imply about the death of Claudius's grandfather?
8. How does Claudius describe his father's relationship to his troops?
9. What argument does Tiberius use with Germanicus to get him to return to Rome?
10. What criticism does Pollio make about Livy?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)