|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Livia and Urgulania describe the marriage of Claudius and Urgulanilla?
(a) The Camel and the Elephant
(b) The Dove and the Hawk
(c) The Quick and the Dead
(d) The Bookworm and the Boar
2. Who is assumed to become Augustus's successor when he dies?
3. What title does Tiberius refuse on Livia's behalf?
(c) Mother of the Country
(d) High Priestess to Augustus
4. What bad luck befalls Germanicus right after his successful battles?
(a) He loses two regiments in a surprise attack by the Germans.
(b) He receives word that his eldest son has died suddenly.
(c) His treasonous letters to Claudius are intercepted by Livia.
(d) His entire transport fleet of soldiers is scattered in a storm.
5. What does Germanicus tell his soldiers about the German fighters?
(a) That they can be distracted by the smell of beer
(b) That they are frightened by the screams of eagles
(c) That they will keep fighting to the very end
(d) That they have no true military discipline
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Augustus do when he discovers that Julia is having sexual affairs?
2. What does Augustus blame for the low marriage rate in Rome?
3. Why does Claudius become his mother's guardian?
4. Who does Actë engage to replace herself as Claudius's mistress?
5. How does Caligula leave the soldier's camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Livia not expose Drusus's plan to dethrone Augustus?
2. Why does Augustus refuse to eat or drink anything but bread, water, and figs straight from the tree?
3. How does Claudius investigate Pollio's charge that Livia murdered his father?
4. Explain the meaning of the prophecy that the Oracle Sibyl told to Claudius?
5. How does Germanicus keep the Roman regiments from revolting?
6. Why is Rome so vulnerable to attack by the German forces after Varus dies?
7. What book does Claudius write after finishing his history on Augustus's religious reforms?
8. What criticism does Pollio make about Livy?
9. Why is it better for Claudius that Livia thinks he is an idiot?
10. What is deification?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)