|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Tiberius's regiments do in their mutiny?
(a) Get drunk on wine captured from the Germans
(b) March on Rome with their swords raised
(c) Burn down their own tents and shelters
(d) Murder or drive out most of the captains
2. What is a Triumvirate?
(a) A type of clothing worn by important statesmen
(b) A group of three men who rule a government
(c) A celebration that takes place after a war
(d) A chariot that was invented by the Romans
3. What excuse does Claudius give to his mother for selling his property?
(a) He says that he is getting a divorce from Urgulanilla.
(b) He says that Livilla had asked him for some money.
(c) He says that he needed to pay off gambling debts.
(d) He pretends that he wanted to buy a new house.
4. What does Claudius shout when he is told about Augustus's death?
(a) Poison is Queen!
(b) Poor Postumus!
(c) That's it! I'm a dead man!
(d) Long live the Republic!
5. With Postumus gone, who is the sole heir to Augustus's crown?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Actë engage to replace herself as Claudius's mistress?
2. What does the author mean when he refers to the regimental Eagle?
3. What really happened to Postumus?
4. Augustus secretly frees Postumus from exile by. . .
5. How does Marcellus die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Livia target Julilla and her unborn child?
2. How is Claudius related to Augustus Caesar?
3. How does Claudius describe Urgulanilla?
4. What argument does Tiberius use with Germanicus to get him to return to Rome?
5. Explain the meaning of the prophecy that the Oracle Sibyl told to Claudius?
6. Describe the book that Livia writes
7. Why does Augustus refuse to eat or drink anything but bread, water, and figs straight from the tree?
8. How does Claudius feel about his son, Drusillus?
9. How does Claudius find out that his letters to Germanicus are being intercepted?
10. What criticism does Pollio make about Livy?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)