|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What excuse does Claudius give to his mother for selling his property?
(a) He says that he is getting a divorce from Urgulanilla.
(b) He pretends that he wanted to buy a new house.
(c) He says that he needed to pay off gambling debts.
(d) He says that Livilla had asked him for some money.
2. What project does Livia stop Claudius from completing?
(a) Getting appointed to a public position
(b) A book about Augustus's religious reforms
(c) The building of a new library in Rome
(d) A history of his grandfather's campaigns
3. What distinction does Claudius make between Tiberius and Germanicus?
(a) Tiberius was a freethinker, Germanicus was devoutly religious
(b) Tiberius was a bad Claudian, while Germanicus was a good one.
(c) Tiberius was loyal to Livia, while Germanicus was loyal to Rome
(d) Tiberius was more decisive, Germanicus was more cautious
4. What really happened to Postumus?
(a) He was captured and sent to Eqypt.
(b) He was tortured and then killed.
(c) He gave up his cause and disappeared.
(d) He agreed to go back to his island.
5. Sejanus persuaded Tiberius to. . .
(a) appoint him to the senate after Haterius left.
(b) build a permanent camp for the Roman Guards.
(c) create a special political office for Sejanus.
(d) raise the taxes to pay bonuses to the soldiers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Claudius during Germanicus's triumphal return to Rome?
2. Why does Athenodorus leave Rome?
3. What does Drusus urge Tiberius to do in his letter?
4. When Tiberius adopts Germanicus, Claudius's brother is brought into which family?
5. Who does Actë engage to replace herself as Claudius's mistress?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Agrippina become alienated from Claudius?
2. How does a lizard foretell Tiberius's death?
3. What makes Germanicus happy about being appointed to oversee the eastern provinces?
4. Why does Livia not expose Drusus's plan to dethrone Augustus?
5. Why does Livia play up the rivalry between Sejanus and Castor to Tiberius?
6. Who are the three main conspirators in the plot to assassinate Caligula?
7. What does Caligula tell Livia as she is dying?
8. How is Claudius related to Augustus Caesar?
9. Explain the meaning of the prophecy that the Oracle Sibyl told to Claudius?
10. What advice does Calpurnia give Claudius about his position in the palace?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)