|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Julilla after Livia exposes her sexual affairs?
(a) She marries Claudius.
(b) She is banished.
(c) She is sentenced to death.
(d) She joins the Vestals.
2. What is Pollio's profession?
3. Who accuses Postumus of trying to rape her?
(a) Both Livilla and Æmillia
(b) Æmillia and Urgulanilla
(c) Livilla and Julilla
(d) Only Livilla
4. What omen is cited by Tiberius to show that Augustus should become a God?
(a) The planets move into alignment.
(b) There is an earthquake in Rome.
(c) His statue was seen to move .
(d) His statue was struck by lightning.
5. What does Germanicus ask Claudius to do for him?
(a) Write to him about all the political gossip
(b) Avoid antagonizing Livia, Antonia, and Livilla
(c) Ask Augustus for permission to visit Postumus
(d) Research information about the Balkan tribes
6. Augustus secretly frees Postumus from exile by. . .
(a) keeping all news from leaving his island.
(b) killing the soldiers that guarded him.
(c) pretending that Postumus has died.
(d) having a slave impersonate Postumus.
7. What surprises Augustus most about hearing Claudius declaim?
(a) Claudius is standing straighter.
(b) The speech goes on for two hours.
(c) The large audience loves Claudius.
(d) Claudius does not stammer.
8. Who is assumed to become Augustus's successor when he dies?
9. How long had some of the oldest soldiers served?
(a) Ten years
(b) Twenty-five years
(c) Five years
(d) Thirty-five years
10. Who offers to capture Postumus for Tiberius?
11. What does Augustus blame for the low marriage rate in Rome?
(a) The ease of getting divorces for political reasons
(b) The selfishness and laziness of bachelorhood
(c) The lack of priests to perform the ceremonies
(d) The fact that everyone is related to each other
12. In order to marry Julia, Tiberius must first. . .
(a) sacrifice a white bull to Jupiter.
(b) adopt her three sons and two daughters.
(c) assassinate Julia's husband, Agrippa.
(d) divorce his beloved wife, Vipsania.
13. What does Livia refuse to do in the same room as Claudius?
(a) Eat a meal
(b) Listen to him talk
(c) Read a book
(d) Go to sleep
14. Name all of Julia's husbands.
(a) Marcellus and Drusus
(b) Agrippa, Tiberius, and Drusus
(c) Marcellus, Agrippa, and Tiberius
(d) Agrippa and Tiberius
15. The key to Livia and Augustus's higher cipher was found in the first chapter of. . .
(a) The Odyssey.
(b) Virgil's Æneid.
(c) The Iliad.
(d) Ovid's Love Poems.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claudius shout when he is told about Augustus's death?
2. Why does Athenodorus leave Rome?
3. What events trigger political unrest in Rome in 5 A.D.?
4. What is the best part of Germanicus's final incursions against the Germans?
5. What notable thing does Claudius do at his first games?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)