|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who kills the German soldier who offered to fight "any Roman?"
(c) Cassius Chærea
2. What do Tiberius's regiments do in their mutiny?
(a) Burn down their own tents and shelters
(b) March on Rome with their swords raised
(c) Murder or drive out most of the captains
(d) Get drunk on wine captured from the Germans
3. In order to marry Julia, Tiberius must first. . .
(a) adopt her three sons and two daughters.
(b) assassinate Julia's husband, Agrippa.
(c) divorce his beloved wife, Vipsania.
(d) sacrifice a white bull to Jupiter.
4. What omen is cited by Tiberius to show that Augustus should become a God?
(a) His statue was struck by lightning.
(b) The planets move into alignment.
(c) His statue was seen to move .
(d) There is an earthquake in Rome.
5. The only three men that Tiberius trusted were Sejanus, Nerva, and. . .
6. Name all of Julia's husbands.
(a) Agrippa, Tiberius, and Drusus
(b) Agrippa and Tiberius
(c) Marcellus, Agrippa, and Tiberius
(d) Marcellus and Drusus
7. Who is assumed to become Augustus's successor when he dies?
8. What does Livia demand Tiberius to do with the letter from his brother, Drusus?
(a) Throw it into the fire
(b) Send it to Augustus
(c) Send it back unread
(d) Read it aloud immediately
9. What surprises Augustus most about hearing Claudius declaim?
(a) Claudius is standing straighter.
(b) The speech goes on for two hours.
(c) Claudius does not stammer.
(d) The large audience loves Claudius.
10. Why does Augustus move the sword-fighters out of the city?
(a) He is afraid they might lead rebellions.
(b) They are needed to help transport corn shipments.
(c) So that smaller cities can enjoy their shows.
(d) They are expected to defend the outer boroughs.
11. How does Postumus send word to Claudius that he is alive?
(a) He sends Claudius a book with a hidden message in it.
(b) He encloses a note in a package of fruit.
(c) He hires a prostitute to pass a letter to Claudius.
(d) He asks an old soldier to deliver a verbal message.
12. What does Germanicus tell his soldiers about the German fighters?
(a) That they have no true military discipline
(b) That they are frightened by the screams of eagles
(c) That they can be distracted by the smell of beer
(d) That they will keep fighting to the very end
13. Who does Claudius blame for the mistakes that led to a Germanic uprising?
14. How does Marcellus die?
(a) He dies in battle.
(b) Agrippa stabs him.
(c) Livia poisons him.
(d) He commits suicide.
15. Who does Actë engage to replace herself as Claudius's mistress?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who really orders the death of Postumus after Augustus dies?
2. What is a Triumvirate?
3. Livia finds out about Postumus's escape by. . .
4. What does Augustus blame for the low marriage rate in Rome?
5. What honor does Livia create for Urgulania?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)