|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Athenodorus leave Rome?
(a) He was framed by Livia for insurrection and banished.
(b) His nephews beg him to help them remove their governor.
(c) He wants to do research at the Library at Alexandria.
(d) He feels that he would be happier living outside of Rome.
2. The only three men that Tiberius trusted were Sejanus, Nerva, and. . .
3. How long has Augustus ruled Rome?
(a) Forty years
(b) Fifty-five years
(c) Sixty years
(d) Twenty years
4. What language does Claudius use to write his autobiography?
5. What does Germanicus tell his soldiers about the German fighters?
(a) That they have no true military discipline
(b) That they are frightened by the screams of eagles
(c) That they can be distracted by the smell of beer
(d) That they will keep fighting to the very end
6. Who is assumed to become Augustus's successor when he dies?
7. What is a Triumvirate?
(a) A celebration that takes place after a war
(b) A type of clothing worn by important statesmen
(c) A group of three men who rule a government
(d) A chariot that was invented by the Romans
8. What does Pollio bet Livy that Claudius is reading?
(b) Livia's book
(c) Love poems
(d) The Classics
9. Sejanus persuaded Tiberius to. . .
(a) appoint him to the senate after Haterius left.
(b) create a special political office for Sejanus.
(c) build a permanent camp for the Roman Guards.
(d) raise the taxes to pay bonuses to the soldiers.
10. Why does Claudius become his mother's guardian?
(a) He is the oldest male left in his family.
(b) Augustus wants to make sure he is busy.
(c) Livia thinks it would be a good joke on her.
(d) She has become too old to take care of herself.
11. What does Germanicus ask Claudius to do for him?
(a) Research information about the Balkan tribes
(b) Write to him about all the political gossip
(c) Avoid antagonizing Livia, Antonia, and Livilla
(d) Ask Augustus for permission to visit Postumus
12. Who did Tiberius send to quell the mutinies in the Balkan forces?
13. Who does Claudius blame for the mistakes that led to a Germanic uprising?
14. What title does Tiberius refuse to use in Rome?
(c) Protector of the People
(d) Chief Ponticate
15. Claudius is the biological grandson of:
(c) Mark Antony
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Postumus not arrested at Ostia?
2. When does Tiberius repay Germanicus for the gold coins he gave to the soldiers?
3. What does Livia refuse to do in the same room as Claudius?
4. What happens to Julilla after Livia exposes her sexual affairs?
5. What does Claudius think is the reason for the low marriage rate?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)