Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Claudius actually reading?
(a) One of Pollio's books
(b) Livia's book
(c) A letter from his brother
(d) One of Livy's books
2. What distinction does Claudius make between Tiberius and Germanicus?
(a) Tiberius was loyal to Livia, while Germanicus was loyal to Rome
(b) Tiberius was more decisive, Germanicus was more cautious
(c) Tiberius was a freethinker, Germanicus was devoutly religious
(d) Tiberius was a bad Claudian, while Germanicus was a good one.
3. With Postumus gone, who is the sole heir to Augustus's crown?
4. Which senator challenges Tiberius's reluctance to accept power?
5. Who offers to capture Postumus for Tiberius?
6. What happens to Julilla after Livia exposes her sexual affairs?
(a) She marries Claudius.
(b) She is banished.
(c) She joins the Vestals.
(d) She is sentenced to death.
7. Why was Postumus not arrested at Ostia?
(a) He was disguised as a sailor and slipped into the crowd.
(b) He was unable to land in the harbor because of bad weather.
(c) The people of Ostia turned on the guards and beat them.
(d) The crowd was too large for the officers to challenge.
8. How does Postumus send word to Claudius that he is alive?
(a) He encloses a note in a package of fruit.
(b) He sends Claudius a book with a hidden message in it.
(c) He asks an old soldier to deliver a verbal message.
(d) He hires a prostitute to pass a letter to Claudius.
9. What events trigger political unrest in Rome in 5 A.D.?
(a) Several uprisings led by former slaves
(b) A series of fires in the poor neighborhoods
(c) Earthquakes, floods, and a famine
(d) The deaths of a dozen popular senators
10. Where does Claudius meet Assinius Pollio?
(a) At the Apollo Library
(b) Out on a busy street
(c) At the Imperial Palace
(d) In a public bathhouse
11. What bad luck befalls Germanicus right after his successful battles?
(a) He loses two regiments in a surprise attack by the Germans.
(b) His entire transport fleet of soldiers is scattered in a storm.
(c) He receives word that his eldest son has died suddenly.
(d) His treasonous letters to Claudius are intercepted by Livia.
12. What does Germanicus tell his soldiers about the German fighters?
(a) That they have no true military discipline
(b) That they can be distracted by the smell of beer
(c) That they are frightened by the screams of eagles
(d) That they will keep fighting to the very end
13. What honor does Livia create for Urgulania?
(a) Second Wife of the Emperor
(b) Mother Confessor for the Vestals
(c) First Daughter of Rome
(d) Chief Priestess to Diana
14. What is a Triumvirate?
(a) A group of three men who rule a government
(b) A chariot that was invented by the Romans
(c) A celebration that takes place after a war
(d) A type of clothing worn by important statesmen
15. Name all of Julia's husbands.
(a) Marcellus and Drusus
(b) Agrippa, Tiberius, and Drusus
(c) Marcellus, Agrippa, and Tiberius
(d) Agrippa and Tiberius
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Germanicus ask Claudius to do for him?
2. Who kills the German soldier who offered to fight "any Roman?"
3. Who did Tiberius send to quell the mutinies in the Balkan forces?
4. What does Claudius think is the reason for the low marriage rate?
5. What does the name "Caligula" mean?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)