|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What project does Livia stop Claudius from completing?
(a) A history of his grandfather's campaigns
(b) Getting appointed to a public position
(c) The building of a new library in Rome
(d) A book about Augustus's religious reforms
2. Who did Tiberius send to quell the mutinies in the Balkan forces?
3. What does Augustus blame for the low marriage rate in Rome?
(a) The ease of getting divorces for political reasons
(b) The fact that everyone is related to each other
(c) The selfishness and laziness of bachelorhood
(d) The lack of priests to perform the ceremonies
4. What bad luck befalls Germanicus right after his successful battles?
(a) He loses two regiments in a surprise attack by the Germans.
(b) His treasonous letters to Claudius are intercepted by Livia.
(c) He receives word that his eldest son has died suddenly.
(d) His entire transport fleet of soldiers is scattered in a storm.
5. What did Augustus tell Claudius just a month before he died?
(a) That he had decided to free Postumus
(b) That he had made changes to his will
(c) He wanted to give Claudius a public office
(d) That he was not interested in being a God
6. Name all of Julia's husbands.
(a) Marcellus and Drusus
(b) Agrippa and Tiberius
(c) Marcellus, Agrippa, and Tiberius
(d) Agrippa, Tiberius, and Drusus
7. Livia finds out about Postumus's escape by. . .
(a) reading some letters that Augustus wrote.
(b) grilling Claudius for what he knows about it.
(c) torturing one of Augustus's slaves.
(d) asking the wife of the man who helped Augustus.
8. What does the name "Caligula" mean?
(a) Little Emperor
(b) Little General
(c) Little Boots
(d) Little Dancer
9. What language does Claudius use to write his autobiography?
10. What honor does Livia create for Urgulania?
(a) First Daughter of Rome
(b) Second Wife of the Emperor
(c) Chief Priestess to Diana
(d) Mother Confessor for the Vestals
11. What do Pollio and Livy argue about?
(a) The Empire and the Republic
(b) Who will succeed Augustus
(c) Which god is most powerful
(d) The proper way to write history
12. How does Antonia regard her son, Claudius?
(a) She disowns him.
(b) She dotes on him.
(c) She favors him.
(d) She despises him.
13. Augustus secretly frees Postumus from exile by. . .
(a) killing the soldiers that guarded him.
(b) pretending that Postumus has died.
(c) keeping all news from leaving his island.
(d) having a slave impersonate Postumus.
14. What does Germanicus tell his soldiers about the German fighters?
(a) That they have no true military discipline
(b) That they can be distracted by the smell of beer
(c) That they will keep fighting to the very end
(d) That they are frightened by the screams of eagles
15. How does Caligula leave the soldier's camp?
(a) Singing a jaunty march
(b) Riding on Cassius's back
(c) Screaming and crying
(d) In his mother's arms
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Pollio's profession?
2. The key to Livia and Augustus's higher cipher was found in the first chapter of. . .
3. How long had some of the oldest soldiers served?
4. What title does Tiberius refuse on Livia's behalf?
5. What does Livia refuse to do in the same room as Claudius?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)