|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who offers to capture Postumus for Tiberius?
2. How does Antonia regard her son, Claudius?
(a) She favors him.
(b) She dotes on him.
(c) She disowns him.
(d) She despises him.
3. Who did Tiberius send to quell the mutinies in the Balkan forces?
4. What is Caligula's real name?
5. What is Claudius actually reading?
(a) One of Livy's books
(b) A letter from his brother
(c) One of Pollio's books
(d) Livia's book
6. What excuse does Claudius give to his mother for selling his property?
(a) He pretends that he wanted to buy a new house.
(b) He says that he needed to pay off gambling debts.
(c) He says that Livilla had asked him for some money.
(d) He says that he is getting a divorce from Urgulanilla.
7. Who is Agrippa?
(a) Marcellus's father
(b) Livia's first husband
(c) A longtime friend and advisor to Augustus
(d) Tiberius's first wife
8. What does Germanicus ask Claudius to do for him?
(a) Write to him about all the political gossip
(b) Research information about the Balkan tribes
(c) Ask Augustus for permission to visit Postumus
(d) Avoid antagonizing Livia, Antonia, and Livilla
9. What language does Claudius use to write his autobiography?
10. According to Claudius, how many Germans for each Roman soldier killed in the battles?
(d) One hundred
11. What project does Livia stop Claudius from completing?
(a) A history of his grandfather's campaigns
(b) Getting appointed to a public position
(c) The building of a new library in Rome
(d) A book about Augustus's religious reforms
12. How long had some of the oldest soldiers served?
(a) Ten years
(b) Twenty-five years
(c) Five years
(d) Thirty-five years
13. What does Tiberius tell the senate about Postumus?
(a) That he was still alive on his island
(b) That he was really a slave named Clement
(c) That he died in a shipwreck outside Ostia
(d) That he was killed by one of his sailors
14. The key to Livia and Augustus's higher cipher was found in the first chapter of. . .
(a) Virgil's Æneid.
(b) The Odyssey.
(c) The Iliad.
(d) Ovid's Love Poems.
15. Who does Claudius blame for the mistakes that led to a Germanic uprising?
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises Augustus most about hearing Claudius declaim?
2. What title does Tiberius refuse to use in Rome?
3. With Postumus gone, who is the sole heir to Augustus's crown?
4. Who rules Rome after the death of Mark Antony?
5. What does the author mean when he refers to the regimental Eagle?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)