|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Athenodorus?
(a) Claudius's favorite tutor
(b) Antonia's new husband
(c) Claudius's best friend
(d) Antonia's steward
2. What does Livia demand Tiberius to do with the letter from his brother, Drusus?
(a) Read it aloud immediately
(b) Send it back unread
(c) Send it to Augustus
(d) Throw it into the fire
3. What surprises Augustus most about hearing Claudius declaim?
(a) The speech goes on for two hours.
(b) Claudius is standing straighter.
(c) Claudius does not stammer.
(d) The large audience loves Claudius.
4. Who does Actë engage to replace herself as Claudius's mistress?
5. In order to marry Julia, Tiberius must first. . .
(a) adopt her three sons and two daughters.
(b) sacrifice a white bull to Jupiter.
(c) assassinate Julia's husband, Agrippa.
(d) divorce his beloved wife, Vipsania.
6. To avoid conflict with Julia, Tiberius decides to. . .
(a) have an affair with Vipsania.
(b) father a child with her.
(c) exile himself from Rome.
(d) move back into her bedroom.
7. What really happened to Postumus?
(a) He was captured and sent to Eqypt.
(b) He was tortured and then killed.
(c) He gave up his cause and disappeared.
(d) He agreed to go back to his island.
8. Who does Claudius blame for the mistakes that led to a Germanic uprising?
9. Which senator challenges Tiberius's reluctance to accept power?
10. When Tiberius adopts Germanicus, Claudius's brother is brought into which family?
(a) The Drusillan Family
(b) The Claudian Family
(c) The Tiberian Family
(d) The Julian Family
11. Why does Claudius become engaged to Urgulanilla?
(a) It gives him more political status
(b) As a favor to Livia's friend
(c) Augustus asks him to marry her
(d) He falls in love with her
12. What is Caligula's real name?
13. What is a Triumvirate?
(a) A celebration that takes place after a war
(b) A group of three men who rule a government
(c) A type of clothing worn by important statesmen
(d) A chariot that was invented by the Romans
14. What notable thing does Claudius do at his first games?
(a) Fall out of the royal box
(b) Faint when a gladiator dies
(c) Give the most stirring speech
(d) Fight with one of the gladiators
15. What project does Livia stop Claudius from completing?
(a) A book about Augustus's religious reforms
(b) Getting appointed to a public position
(c) A history of his grandfather's campaigns
(d) The building of a new library in Rome
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Tiberius's regiments do in their mutiny?
2. How does Antonia regard her son, Claudius?
3. What does Germanicus ask Claudius to do for him?
4. What title does Tiberius refuse to use in Rome?
5. What honor does Livia create for Urgulania?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)