|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of animal does Livia compare Claudius to?
(a) A lion
(b) A parrot
(c) A lemur
(d) A wolf
2. Who offers to capture Postumus for Tiberius?
3. Why does Augustus move the sword-fighters out of the city?
(a) He is afraid they might lead rebellions.
(b) They are needed to help transport corn shipments.
(c) They are expected to defend the outer boroughs.
(d) So that smaller cities can enjoy their shows.
4. Why does Athenodorus leave Rome?
(a) He feels that he would be happier living outside of Rome.
(b) He was framed by Livia for insurrection and banished.
(c) He wants to do research at the Library at Alexandria.
(d) His nephews beg him to help them remove their governor.
5. What project does Livia stop Claudius from completing?
(a) A book about Augustus's religious reforms
(b) Getting appointed to a public position
(c) The building of a new library in Rome
(d) A history of his grandfather's campaigns
6. What distinction does Claudius make between Tiberius and Germanicus?
(a) Tiberius was more decisive, Germanicus was more cautious
(b) Tiberius was a freethinker, Germanicus was devoutly religious
(c) Tiberius was loyal to Livia, while Germanicus was loyal to Rome
(d) Tiberius was a bad Claudian, while Germanicus was a good one.
7. According to Claudius, how many Germans for each Roman soldier killed in the battles?
(b) One hundred
8. Which historian does Claudius hope to emulate?
9. What does Tiberius tell the senate about Postumus?
(a) That he died in a shipwreck outside Ostia
(b) That he was really a slave named Clement
(c) That he was killed by one of his sailors
(d) That he was still alive on his island
10. How does Antonia regard her son, Claudius?
(a) She dotes on him.
(b) She favors him.
(c) She despises him.
(d) She disowns him.
11. What does rebel leader Bato compare the Roman governors to?
12. What does the name "Caligula" mean?
(a) Little Dancer
(b) Little Emperor
(c) Little General
(d) Little Boots
13. Who does Actë engage to replace herself as Claudius's mistress?
14. How does Caligula leave the soldier's camp?
(a) In his mother's arms
(b) Screaming and crying
(c) Riding on Cassius's back
(d) Singing a jaunty march
15. Who accuses Postumus of trying to rape her?
(a) Æmillia and Urgulanilla
(b) Livilla and Julilla
(c) Both Livilla and Æmillia
(d) Only Livilla
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Claudius become engaged to Urgulanilla?
2. What does the author mean when he refers to the regimental Eagle?
3. What does Claudius shout when he is told about Augustus's death?
4. Who did Tiberius send to quell the mutinies in the Balkan forces?
5. Who is Flavius?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)