|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Tiberius repay Germanicus for the gold coins he gave to the soldiers?
(a) Two years later
(b) After the German campaign
(c) After he pays the Balkan troops
2. Who accuses Postumus of trying to rape her?
(a) Æmillia and Urgulanilla
(b) Both Livilla and Æmillia
(c) Livilla and Julilla
(d) Only Livilla
3. Who was the Crocodile?
(a) A helpful librarian at the temple of Apollo in Rome.
(b) One of the Roman Guards at the Imperial palace.
(c) One of the men who guarded Postumus on the island.
(d) A freedman who had worked for Postumus's father.
4. What kind of animal does Livia compare Claudius to?
(a) A parrot
(b) A lemur
(c) A wolf
(d) A lion
5. What does Livia refuse to do in the same room as Claudius?
(a) Eat a meal
(b) Go to sleep
(c) Read a book
(d) Listen to him talk
6. According to Claudius, how many Germans for each Roman soldier killed in the battles?
(c) One hundred
7. In order to marry Julia, Tiberius must first. . .
(a) adopt her three sons and two daughters.
(b) sacrifice a white bull to Jupiter.
(c) assassinate Julia's husband, Agrippa.
(d) divorce his beloved wife, Vipsania.
8. What nickname do people use for Claudius?
(a) Claudius the Brave
(b) Claudius the Idiot
(c) Claudius the Ugly
(d) Claudius the Cautious
9. Who does Claudius fall in love with?
10. What do Tiberius's regiments do in their mutiny?
(a) Murder or drive out most of the captains
(b) Get drunk on wine captured from the Germans
(c) Burn down their own tents and shelters
(d) March on Rome with their swords raised
11. Who is Athenodorus?
(a) Claudius's best friend
(b) Antonia's steward
(c) Claudius's favorite tutor
(d) Antonia's new husband
12. What really happened to Postumus?
(a) He gave up his cause and disappeared.
(b) He was captured and sent to Eqypt.
(c) He agreed to go back to his island.
(d) He was tortured and then killed.
13. What do Pollio and Livy argue about?
(a) The proper way to write history
(b) Which god is most powerful
(c) The Empire and the Republic
(d) Who will succeed Augustus
14. What does the author mean when he refers to the regimental Eagle?
(a) A mascot bird kept in a cage
(b) A marching song that the soldiers sang
(c) The fiercest soldier in the group
(d) The military ensign of the regiment
15. Who does Claudius blame for the mistakes that led to a Germanic uprising?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Augustus move the sword-fighters out of the city?
2. Who is assumed to become Augustus's successor when he dies?
3. How does Marcellus die?
4. What does Livia send to her son, Drusus?
5. What does Pollio bet Livy that Claudius is reading?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)