|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Julilla after Livia exposes her sexual affairs?
(a) She is banished.
(b) She marries Claudius.
(c) She joins the Vestals.
(d) She is sentenced to death.
2. What was the amount of time the Roman soldiers wanted to serve before being discharged?
(a) Sixteen years
(b) Eight years
(c) Ten years
(d) Two years
3. What is Claudius actually reading?
(a) One of Pollio's books
(b) One of Livy's books
(c) Livia's book
(d) A letter from his brother
4. Why does Augustus move the sword-fighters out of the city?
(a) They are needed to help transport corn shipments.
(b) So that smaller cities can enjoy their shows.
(c) They are expected to defend the outer boroughs.
(d) He is afraid they might lead rebellions.
5. What bad luck befalls Germanicus right after his successful battles?
(a) His treasonous letters to Claudius are intercepted by Livia.
(b) He receives word that his eldest son has died suddenly.
(c) His entire transport fleet of soldiers is scattered in a storm.
(d) He loses two regiments in a surprise attack by the Germans.
6. Germanicus promises Claudius, if he finds evidence that Postumus is innocent, he will. . .
(a) rescue Postumus from the island himself.
(b) investigate the death of their father.
(c) speak to Augustus about the matter.
(d) make sure that Livia was tried for her crimes.
7. What is Caligula's real name?
8. Who is Athenodorus?
(a) Antonia's steward
(b) Claudius's best friend
(c) Claudius's favorite tutor
(d) Antonia's new husband
9. Where is Claudius during Germanicus's triumphal return to Rome?
(a) In Ostia
(b) In Capua
(c) In Germany
(d) In Carthage
10. In order to marry Julia, Tiberius must first. . .
(a) adopt her three sons and two daughters.
(b) sacrifice a white bull to Jupiter.
(c) divorce his beloved wife, Vipsania.
(d) assassinate Julia's husband, Agrippa.
11. What does Germanicus tell his soldiers about the German fighters?
(a) That they can be distracted by the smell of beer
(b) That they are frightened by the screams of eagles
(c) That they have no true military discipline
(d) That they will keep fighting to the very end
12. What is the best part of Germanicus's final incursions against the Germans?
(a) He recaptures one of the three lost Eagles.
(b) He is able to rescue a legion of captured Roman soldiers.
(c) He captures the mother of Flavius, ensuring his loyalty.
(d) He finds enough gold to finance fighting for another year.
13. What does Tiberius tell the senate about Postumus?
(a) That he was really a slave named Clement
(b) That he was killed by one of his sailors
(c) That he died in a shipwreck outside Ostia
(d) That he was still alive on his island
14. Sejanus persuaded Tiberius to. . .
(a) build a permanent camp for the Roman Guards.
(b) raise the taxes to pay bonuses to the soldiers.
(c) appoint him to the senate after Haterius left.
(d) create a special political office for Sejanus.
15. What attitude does Livia take towards Postumus?
(a) She supports him as Augustus's last grandson.
(b) She suggests that he be given more honors.
(c) She paints him as ambitious and rude to Augustus.
(d) She decribes him as very gentle and loving.
Short Answer Questions
1. With Postumus gone, who is the sole heir to Augustus's crown?
2. According to Claudius, how many Germans for each Roman soldier killed in the battles?
3. What is Pollio's profession?
4. Who kills the German soldier who offered to fight "any Roman?"
5. Who really orders the death of Postumus after Augustus dies?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)