|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Claudius, how many Germans for each Roman soldier killed in the battles?
(c) One hundred
2. What is Caligula's real name?
3. The key to Livia and Augustus's higher cipher was found in the first chapter of. . .
(a) Ovid's Love Poems.
(b) Virgil's Æneid.
(c) The Iliad.
(d) The Odyssey.
4. When Tiberius adopts Germanicus, Claudius's brother is brought into which family?
(a) The Claudian Family
(b) The Tiberian Family
(c) The Julian Family
(d) The Drusillan Family
5. What do Tiberius's regiments do in their mutiny?
(a) Get drunk on wine captured from the Germans
(b) Murder or drive out most of the captains
(c) Burn down their own tents and shelters
(d) March on Rome with their swords raised
6. What happens to Julilla after Livia exposes her sexual affairs?
(a) She joins the Vestals.
(b) She marries Claudius.
(c) She is banished.
(d) She is sentenced to death.
7. What bad luck befalls Germanicus right after his successful battles?
(a) His entire transport fleet of soldiers is scattered in a storm.
(b) He receives word that his eldest son has died suddenly.
(c) His treasonous letters to Claudius are intercepted by Livia.
(d) He loses two regiments in a surprise attack by the Germans.
8. What honor does Livia create for Urgulania?
(a) First Daughter of Rome
(b) Second Wife of the Emperor
(c) Mother Confessor for the Vestals
(d) Chief Priestess to Diana
9. What omen is cited by Tiberius to show that Augustus should become a God?
(a) The planets move into alignment.
(b) His statue was struck by lightning.
(c) His statue was seen to move .
(d) There is an earthquake in Rome.
10. What really happened to Postumus?
(a) He gave up his cause and disappeared.
(b) He was captured and sent to Eqypt.
(c) He was tortured and then killed.
(d) He agreed to go back to his island.
11. How does Postumus send word to Claudius that he is alive?
(a) He asks an old soldier to deliver a verbal message.
(b) He encloses a note in a package of fruit.
(c) He hires a prostitute to pass a letter to Claudius.
(d) He sends Claudius a book with a hidden message in it.
12. In order to marry Julia, Tiberius must first. . .
(a) assassinate Julia's husband, Agrippa.
(b) sacrifice a white bull to Jupiter.
(c) divorce his beloved wife, Vipsania.
(d) adopt her three sons and two daughters.
13. How long had some of the oldest soldiers served?
(a) Twenty-five years
(b) Five years
(c) Thirty-five years
(d) Ten years
14. Who does Claudius blame for the mistakes that led to a Germanic uprising?
15. What does Claudius think is the reason for the low marriage rate?
(a) Single women have more rights
(b) There are no pretty girls left
(c) Prostitutes are cheaper and nicer
(d) Marrying the wrong family risks death
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Pollio's profession?
2. Name all of Julia's husbands.
3. With Postumus gone, who is the sole heir to Augustus's crown?
4. To avoid conflict with Julia, Tiberius decides to. . .
5. How long has Augustus ruled Rome?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)