|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What title does Tiberius refuse to use in Rome?
(b) Chief Ponticate
(c) Protector of the People
2. What really happened to Postumus?
(a) He was tortured and then killed.
(b) He was captured and sent to Eqypt.
(c) He agreed to go back to his island.
(d) He gave up his cause and disappeared.
3. What notable thing does Claudius do at his first games?
(a) Give the most stirring speech
(b) Faint when a gladiator dies
(c) Fight with one of the gladiators
(d) Fall out of the royal box
4. Germanicus promises Claudius, if he finds evidence that Postumus is innocent, he will. . .
(a) investigate the death of their father.
(b) rescue Postumus from the island himself.
(c) speak to Augustus about the matter.
(d) make sure that Livia was tried for her crimes.
5. What omen is cited by Tiberius to show that Augustus should become a God?
(a) The planets move into alignment.
(b) There is an earthquake in Rome.
(c) His statue was seen to move .
(d) His statue was struck by lightning.
6. What was the amount of time the Roman soldiers wanted to serve before being discharged?
(a) Sixteen years
(b) Eight years
(c) Two years
(d) Ten years
7. What does Drusus urge Tiberius to do in his letter?
(a) Oppose Augustus and restore the Republic
(b) Support Augustus through the civil unrest
(c) Come back to Germany and help fight
(d) Leave Julia and marry the woman he loves
8. Who does Claudius fall in love with?
9. Who was the Crocodile?
(a) A helpful librarian at the temple of Apollo in Rome.
(b) One of the Roman Guards at the Imperial palace.
(c) One of the men who guarded Postumus on the island.
(d) A freedman who had worked for Postumus's father.
10. Where does Claudius meet Assinius Pollio?
(a) At the Imperial Palace
(b) At the Apollo Library
(c) In a public bathhouse
(d) Out on a busy street
11. When does Tiberius repay Germanicus for the gold coins he gave to the soldiers?
(b) Two years later
(c) After the German campaign
(d) After he pays the Balkan troops
12. What events trigger political unrest in Rome in 5 A.D.?
(a) Several uprisings led by former slaves
(b) A series of fires in the poor neighborhoods
(c) Earthquakes, floods, and a famine
(d) The deaths of a dozen popular senators
13. What nickname do people use for Claudius?
(a) Claudius the Cautious
(b) Claudius the Brave
(c) Claudius the Ugly
(d) Claudius the Idiot
14. Why does Athenodorus leave Rome?
(a) His nephews beg him to help them remove their governor.
(b) He was framed by Livia for insurrection and banished.
(c) He wants to do research at the Library at Alexandria.
(d) He feels that he would be happier living outside of Rome.
15. Who accuses Postumus of trying to rape her?
(a) Only Livilla
(b) Both Livilla and Æmillia
(c) Æmillia and Urgulanilla
(d) Livilla and Julilla
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the eagles drop into Claudius's gown?
2. Claudius is the biological grandson of:
3. What does Claudius think is the reason for the low marriage rate?
4. What attitude does Livia take towards Postumus?
5. Where is Claudius during Germanicus's triumphal return to Rome?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)