|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Germanicus ask Claudius to do for him?
(a) Research information about the Balkan tribes
(b) Write to him about all the political gossip
(c) Avoid antagonizing Livia, Antonia, and Livilla
(d) Ask Augustus for permission to visit Postumus
2. Who does Actë engage to replace herself as Claudius's mistress?
3. Why does Augustus move the sword-fighters out of the city?
(a) They are expected to defend the outer boroughs.
(b) They are needed to help transport corn shipments.
(c) So that smaller cities can enjoy their shows.
(d) He is afraid they might lead rebellions.
4. To avoid conflict with Julia, Tiberius decides to. . .
(a) father a child with her.
(b) have an affair with Vipsania.
(c) move back into her bedroom.
(d) exile himself from Rome.
5. Which senator challenges Tiberius's reluctance to accept power?
6. Augustus secretly frees Postumus from exile by. . .
(a) killing the soldiers that guarded him.
(b) having a slave impersonate Postumus.
(c) pretending that Postumus has died.
(d) keeping all news from leaving his island.
7. What notable thing does Claudius do at his first games?
(a) Fight with one of the gladiators
(b) Faint when a gladiator dies
(c) Give the most stirring speech
(d) Fall out of the royal box
8. Germanicus promises Claudius, if he finds evidence that Postumus is innocent, he will. . .
(a) make sure that Livia was tried for her crimes.
(b) speak to Augustus about the matter.
(c) investigate the death of their father.
(d) rescue Postumus from the island himself.
9. How long has Augustus ruled Rome?
(a) Sixty years
(b) Fifty-five years
(c) Forty years
(d) Twenty years
10. What was the amount of time the Roman soldiers wanted to serve before being discharged?
(a) Eight years
(b) Two years
(c) Sixteen years
(d) Ten years
11. Who is assumed to become Augustus's successor when he dies?
12. Who offers to capture Postumus for Tiberius?
13. Who is Flavius?
(a) A former general with the German army.
(b) A slave who was captured in Germany.
(c) Germanicus's second-in-command.
(d) The brother of the German general, Hermann.
14. What attitude does Livia take towards Postumus?
(a) She decribes him as very gentle and loving.
(b) She suggests that he be given more honors.
(c) She paints him as ambitious and rude to Augustus.
(d) She supports him as Augustus's last grandson.
15. In order to marry Julia, Tiberius must first. . .
(a) divorce his beloved wife, Vipsania.
(b) adopt her three sons and two daughters.
(c) sacrifice a white bull to Jupiter.
(d) assassinate Julia's husband, Agrippa.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who really orders the death of Postumus after Augustus dies?
2. What is Claudius actually reading?
3. What does the author mean when he refers to the regimental Eagle?
4. With Postumus gone, who is the sole heir to Augustus's crown?
5. What does rebel leader Bato compare the Roman governors to?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)