|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In order to marry Julia, Tiberius must first. . .
(a) adopt her three sons and two daughters.
(b) assassinate Julia's husband, Agrippa.
(c) divorce his beloved wife, Vipsania.
(d) sacrifice a white bull to Jupiter.
2. Why does Claudius become engaged to Urgulanilla?
(a) It gives him more political status
(b) He falls in love with her
(c) As a favor to Livia's friend
(d) Augustus asks him to marry her
3. Where does Claudius meet Assinius Pollio?
(a) At the Apollo Library
(b) At the Imperial Palace
(c) Out on a busy street
(d) In a public bathhouse
4. Claudius is the biological grandson of:
(c) Mark Antony
5. What does Claudius shout when he is told about Augustus's death?
(a) Long live the Republic!
(b) That's it! I'm a dead man!
(c) Poor Postumus!
(d) Poison is Queen!
6. What does Pollio bet Livy that Claudius is reading?
(b) Livia's book
(c) The Classics
(d) Love poems
7. What surprises Augustus most about hearing Claudius declaim?
(a) The large audience loves Claudius.
(b) Claudius does not stammer.
(c) Claudius is standing straighter.
(d) The speech goes on for two hours.
8. What nickname do people use for Claudius?
(a) Claudius the Idiot
(b) Claudius the Ugly
(c) Claudius the Brave
(d) Claudius the Cautious
9. What attitude does Livia take towards Postumus?
(a) She decribes him as very gentle and loving.
(b) She suggests that he be given more honors.
(c) She supports him as Augustus's last grandson.
(d) She paints him as ambitious and rude to Augustus.
10. What do the eagles drop into Claudius's gown?
(a) A scroll
(b) An egg
(c) A lamb
(d) A wolf cub
11. What does Augustus do when he discovers that Julia is having sexual affairs?
(a) He orders Tiberius to return at once.
(b) He asks her to join the Vestals.
(c) He helps her divorce Tiberius and remarry.
(d) He orders her to be banished from Rome.
12. What was the amount of time the Roman soldiers wanted to serve before being discharged?
(a) Sixteen years
(b) Ten years
(c) Two years
(d) Eight years
13. How does Caligula leave the soldier's camp?
(a) Screaming and crying
(b) In his mother's arms
(c) Singing a jaunty march
(d) Riding on Cassius's back
14. How does Postumus send word to Claudius that he is alive?
(a) He sends Claudius a book with a hidden message in it.
(b) He encloses a note in a package of fruit.
(c) He asks an old soldier to deliver a verbal message.
(d) He hires a prostitute to pass a letter to Claudius.
15. Who does Actë engage to replace herself as Claudius's mistress?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author mean when he refers to the regimental Eagle?
2. What does Germanicus ask Claudius to do?
3. What does Drusus urge Tiberius to do in his letter?
4. What bad luck befalls Germanicus right after his successful battles?
5. Who rules Rome after the death of Mark Antony?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)