|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To avoid conflict with Julia, Tiberius decides to. . .
(a) have an affair with Vipsania.
(b) father a child with her.
(c) move back into her bedroom.
(d) exile himself from Rome.
2. What is Claudius's full name?
(a) Tiberius Claudius
(b) Tiberius Claudius Drusus Nero Germanicus
(c) Tiberius Claudius Germanicus
(d) Tiberius Claudius Nero Drusus Caesar
3. What title does Tiberius refuse on Livia's behalf?
(b) Mother of the Country
(c) High Priestess to Augustus
4. What is Claudius actually reading?
(a) A letter from his brother
(b) Livia's book
(c) One of Pollio's books
(d) One of Livy's books
5. Who rules Rome after the death of Mark Antony?
(b) Augustus Caesar
6. How does Postumus send word to Claudius that he is alive?
(a) He asks an old soldier to deliver a verbal message.
(b) He encloses a note in a package of fruit.
(c) He sends Claudius a book with a hidden message in it.
(d) He hires a prostitute to pass a letter to Claudius.
7. What is Pollio's profession?
8. Which historian does Claudius hope to emulate?
9. What does the name "Caligula" mean?
(a) Little Emperor
(b) Little Boots
(c) Little General
(d) Little Dancer
10. Why does Claudius become engaged to Urgulanilla?
(a) As a favor to Livia's friend
(b) It gives him more political status
(c) He falls in love with her
(d) Augustus asks him to marry her
11. How do Livia and Urgulania describe the marriage of Claudius and Urgulanilla?
(a) The Dove and the Hawk
(b) The Quick and the Dead
(c) The Camel and the Elephant
(d) The Bookworm and the Boar
12. What omen is cited by Tiberius to show that Augustus should become a God?
(a) There is an earthquake in Rome.
(b) The planets move into alignment.
(c) His statue was seen to move .
(d) His statue was struck by lightning.
13. What attitude does Livia take towards Postumus?
(a) She decribes him as very gentle and loving.
(b) She suggests that he be given more honors.
(c) She paints him as ambitious and rude to Augustus.
(d) She supports him as Augustus's last grandson.
14. Who is assumed to become Augustus's successor when he dies?
15. What does Claudius shout when he is told about Augustus's death?
(a) Poor Postumus!
(b) Long live the Republic!
(c) That's it! I'm a dead man!
(d) Poison is Queen!
Short Answer Questions
1. Which senator challenges Tiberius's reluctance to accept power?
2. Name all of Julia's husbands.
3. What does Tiberius tell the senate about Postumus?
4. What do Tiberius's regiments do in their mutiny?
5. What does rebel leader Bato compare the Roman governors to?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)