|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Marcellus die?
(a) He commits suicide.
(b) He dies in battle.
(c) Agrippa stabs him.
(d) Livia poisons him.
2. Claudius is the biological grandson of:
(d) Mark Antony
3. What did Augustus tell Claudius just a month before he died?
(a) That he had made changes to his will
(b) That he was not interested in being a God
(c) That he had decided to free Postumus
(d) He wanted to give Claudius a public office
4. What does Livia demand Tiberius to do with the letter from his brother, Drusus?
(a) Send it to Augustus
(b) Send it back unread
(c) Read it aloud immediately
(d) Throw it into the fire
5. The key to Livia and Augustus's higher cipher was found in the first chapter of. . .
(a) Ovid's Love Poems.
(b) The Odyssey.
(c) Virgil's Æneid.
(d) The Iliad.
6. What do Tiberius's regiments do in their mutiny?
(a) Burn down their own tents and shelters
(b) March on Rome with their swords raised
(c) Get drunk on wine captured from the Germans
(d) Murder or drive out most of the captains
7. In order to marry Julia, Tiberius must first. . .
(a) assassinate Julia's husband, Agrippa.
(b) divorce his beloved wife, Vipsania.
(c) sacrifice a white bull to Jupiter.
(d) adopt her three sons and two daughters.
8. Where is Claudius during Germanicus's triumphal return to Rome?
(a) In Carthage
(b) In Capua
(c) In Germany
(d) In Ostia
9. Who is Agrippa?
(a) A longtime friend and advisor to Augustus
(b) Livia's first husband
(c) Marcellus's father
(d) Tiberius's first wife
10. What does Germanicus ask Claudius to do?
(a) Steal money from the public purse to pay the soldiers
(b) Speak to Tiberius on behalf of the regiments
(c) Forge a letter from Tiberius and send it by courier
(d) Secretly send him two hundred thousand gold coins
11. What attitude does Livia take towards Postumus?
(a) She suggests that he be given more honors.
(b) She decribes him as very gentle and loving.
(c) She supports him as Augustus's last grandson.
(d) She paints him as ambitious and rude to Augustus.
12. Why does Augustus move the sword-fighters out of the city?
(a) He is afraid they might lead rebellions.
(b) They are needed to help transport corn shipments.
(c) They are expected to defend the outer boroughs.
(d) So that smaller cities can enjoy their shows.
13. What title does Tiberius refuse to use in Rome?
(a) Protector of the People
(c) Chief Ponticate
14. How long has Augustus ruled Rome?
(a) Forty years
(b) Sixty years
(c) Twenty years
(d) Fifty-five years
15. What notable thing does Claudius do at his first games?
(a) Faint when a gladiator dies
(b) Fight with one of the gladiators
(c) Give the most stirring speech
(d) Fall out of the royal box
Short Answer Questions
1. The only three men that Tiberius trusted were Sejanus, Nerva, and. . .
2. How do Livia and Urgulania describe the marriage of Claudius and Urgulanilla?
3. When Tiberius adopts Germanicus, Claudius's brother is brought into which family?
4. What nickname do people use for Claudius?
5. Who does Actë engage to replace herself as Claudius's mistress?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)