|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Postumus send word to Claudius that he is alive?
(a) He asks an old soldier to deliver a verbal message.
(b) He hires a prostitute to pass a letter to Claudius.
(c) He sends Claudius a book with a hidden message in it.
(d) He encloses a note in a package of fruit.
2. Who did Tiberius send to quell the mutinies in the Balkan forces?
3. What was the amount of time the Roman soldiers wanted to serve before being discharged?
(a) Two years
(b) Eight years
(c) Sixteen years
(d) Ten years
4. Which historian does Claudius hope to emulate?
5. What does Claudius shout when he is told about Augustus's death?
(a) Poor Postumus!
(b) Long live the Republic!
(c) That's it! I'm a dead man!
(d) Poison is Queen!
6. What is Caligula's real name?
7. What is a Triumvirate?
(a) A celebration that takes place after a war
(b) A type of clothing worn by important statesmen
(c) A chariot that was invented by the Romans
(d) A group of three men who rule a government
8. What is Claudius actually reading?
(a) A letter from his brother
(b) One of Livy's books
(c) Livia's book
(d) One of Pollio's books
9. Who is Flavius?
(a) A slave who was captured in Germany.
(b) The brother of the German general, Hermann.
(c) Germanicus's second-in-command.
(d) A former general with the German army.
10. What does Livia send to her son, Drusus?
(a) Her personal physician
(b) A letter, denouncing him
(c) A bag containing golden coins
(d) A box filled with poisoned food
11. Who does Actë engage to replace herself as Claudius's mistress?
12. Which senator challenges Tiberius's reluctance to accept power?
13. Who is assumed to become Augustus's successor when he dies?
14. What is Pollio's profession?
15. Why was Postumus not arrested at Ostia?
(a) He was disguised as a sailor and slipped into the crowd.
(b) He was unable to land in the harbor because of bad weather.
(c) The crowd was too large for the officers to challenge.
(d) The people of Ostia turned on the guards and beat them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Athenodorus?
2. What does the author mean when he refers to the regimental Eagle?
3. What project does Livia stop Claudius from completing?
4. Where does Claudius meet Assinius Pollio?
5. What notable thing does Claudius do at his first games?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)