|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long had some of the oldest soldiers served?
(a) Ten years
(b) Twenty-five years
(c) Thirty-five years
(d) Five years
2. Who does Claudius blame for the mistakes that led to a Germanic uprising?
3. According to Claudius, how many Germans for each Roman soldier killed in the battles?
(c) One hundred
4. What do Tiberius's regiments do in their mutiny?
(a) Get drunk on wine captured from the Germans
(b) Burn down their own tents and shelters
(c) March on Rome with their swords raised
(d) Murder or drive out most of the captains
5. How does Marcellus die?
(a) He commits suicide.
(b) Livia poisons him.
(c) Agrippa stabs him.
(d) He dies in battle.
6. What does Germanicus ask Claudius to do?
(a) Secretly send him two hundred thousand gold coins
(b) Steal money from the public purse to pay the soldiers
(c) Forge a letter from Tiberius and send it by courier
(d) Speak to Tiberius on behalf of the regiments
7. Which senator challenges Tiberius's reluctance to accept power?
8. What events trigger political unrest in Rome in 5 A.D.?
(a) A series of fires in the poor neighborhoods
(b) Earthquakes, floods, and a famine
(c) Several uprisings led by former slaves
(d) The deaths of a dozen popular senators
9. Where does Claudius meet Assinius Pollio?
(a) In a public bathhouse
(b) Out on a busy street
(c) At the Imperial Palace
(d) At the Apollo Library
10. What project does Livia stop Claudius from completing?
(a) Getting appointed to a public position
(b) The building of a new library in Rome
(c) A history of his grandfather's campaigns
(d) A book about Augustus's religious reforms
11. What is Caligula's real name?
12. What does Livia refuse to do in the same room as Claudius?
(a) Listen to him talk
(b) Eat a meal
(c) Go to sleep
(d) Read a book
13. Who was the Crocodile?
(a) One of the Roman Guards at the Imperial palace.
(b) One of the men who guarded Postumus on the island.
(c) A helpful librarian at the temple of Apollo in Rome.
(d) A freedman who had worked for Postumus's father.
14. What omen is cited by Tiberius to show that Augustus should become a God?
(a) The planets move into alignment.
(b) His statue was seen to move .
(c) His statue was struck by lightning.
(d) There is an earthquake in Rome.
15. What does Claudius shout when he is told about Augustus's death?
(a) Poison is Queen!
(b) Poor Postumus!
(c) That's it! I'm a dead man!
(d) Long live the Republic!
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the eagles drop into Claudius's gown?
2. How long has Augustus ruled Rome?
3. What attitude does Livia take towards Postumus?
4. What title does Tiberius refuse to use in Rome?
5. Why does Claudius become engaged to Urgulanilla?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)