Short Essay Questions Key
1. Explain the meaning of the prophecy that the Oracle Sibyl told to Claudius?
It means that Claudius's story would be hidden for two thousand years, and then would be found again and read by future generations.
2. How is Claudius related to Augustus Caesar?
His grandmother, Livia, divorced his grandfather and married Augustus Caesar.
3. How does Claudius describe his father's relationship to his troops?
They loved him for his honesty, leniency, and commitment to liberty.
4. Why does Livia not expose Drusus's plan to dethrone Augustus?
She gains more from using his popularity than she would from tearing down his reputation.
5. What does the nobleman predict will happen based on Claudius catching the wolf cub?
He predicts that Claudius will someday become the protector of Rome.
6. What does Livia do to bring Tiberius back to Rome?
Get Julia exiled and kill her two oldest sons.
7. Describe the book that Livia writes
Entitled "A Pillow Debate on Force and Gentleness," it shows Livia urging her husband Augustus, to give clemency to the men who conspired against him.
This section contains 1,674 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)