|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "At first he could hardly wait for the _____; it was exhilarating to watch the crowds come streaming his way."
2. Where does the impresario hurry the artist to discover where interest might lay?
3. Contrary to people's regard, the hunger artist states that he could do what if given the opportunity at the circus?
4. Those who want to stare at the artist at the circus do so not out of interest, but out of what?
5. What literary device is used in this sentence: "He was at once deafened by the storm of shouting."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Absurdist qualities of "A Hunger Artist." How is this story a forerunner of the Absurdist movement?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Kafka's use of exposition in the story. What does he detail in the exposition? How much of the story contains exposition? Why?
Essay Topic 3
What is the tense and voice of "A Hunger Artist"? Define these terms in your answer. Describe whose point of view the story follows and why.
This section contains 208 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)