|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "A large _____ with its enormous traffic in replacing and recruiting men, animals and apparatus can always find use for people at any time."
2. Under what circumstances does the circus make use of the hunger artist?
3. How does the impresario punish the artist's rages?
4. To whom does the hunger artist hire himself out?
5. Everywhere, "as if by secret agreement, a positive ______ from professional fasting was in evidence."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the plot structure of "A Hunger Artist." How well does this story fit into the mold of a traditional plot?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Kafka's use of exposition in the story. What does he detail in the exposition? How much of the story contains exposition? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the different interpretations of the story "A Hunger Artist." What do each of these imply is the meaning of Kafka's work?
This section contains 186 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)